Widgets Magazine

Currently Watching (Fall 2021 Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2021] Currently Watching (Fall 2021 Edition)

Widgets Magazine
    After a sizzling summer, temperatures are falling all across the Northern Hemisphere, and as such it's time for another season of anime.

The link to the Summer 2021 Edition
    Fall 2021 Anime Chart
    Fall 2021 Anime Lineup Thread

Note
    - Change the title of your post to reflect the contents.
    - Do not use the Reply to Thread button; instead, click quote on the post you wish to reply to, or on this post if you're starting a new subthread.
    - Edit down the quoted section to the relevant bits, nobody needs to read someone's epic list of watched stuff twice.
    - Be nice to one another.
    - Please discuss only what you are watching this season in this thread. Stuff watched during other seasons should be discussed in their respective threads.

Also, I'd like to add the following. The Currently Watching Thread is mainly meant for a general overview of how you're currently feeling about shows. It is not supposed to be a replacement for actual discussion threads. Try to keep heavier discussion (if possible) in the more specific discussion threads.

In addition, try to be careful of spoilers here. It's one thing if it's properly tagged and such. However, I don't want people to have to worry about someone randomly posting "Wow, X died in episode 17 of Y". Just a randomly made up example, but you get the idea.

MyAnimeList | Avatar: Futaba Igarashi, My Senpai is Annoying
    Watching: School-Live!, Hanako-kun, Vanguard Link Joker, Kingdom
    Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Fall 2021 Simulcast Interest List

Here is my quarterly interest list for simulcasts. Once again, this is something I made prior to the season and what I have seen so far has no bearing whatsoever. I generally wait before posting this as there are a number of shows whose licensing is not known until after the season begins, and not to mention there are rare instances with shows like World's End Harem that got pushed back at the last minute. That will come up when I do first impressions.

IN
    [86E] 86 (continuing)
    [AQT] Aquatope on White Sand (continuing)
    [JHY] The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated! (continuing)
    [MTE] Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation (continuing)
    [CFV-OD2] Cardfight!! Vanguard OverDress Season 2
    [RAW-2] Restaurant to Another World Season 2
    [INU-Y2] Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon Season 2
    [YYY-3] Yuki Yuna is a Hero Season 3

PROBABLE
    [BPR] Blue Period
    [HEI] The Heike Story
    [KCC] Komi Can't Communicate
    [SPU] My Senpai is Annoying
    [POR] Pride of Orange
    [ORK] Ranking of Kings
    [SGN] Sakugan
    [TOB] Taisho Otome Fairy Tale
    [TOP] Takt Op. Destiny
    [KAG] Kaginado (short)

QUESTIONABLE
    [AGF] Ancient Girls Frame
    [BSL] Banished from the Hero's Party
    [FWP] The Faraway Paladin
    [TLN] Irina: The Vampire Cosmonaut
    [MIE] Mieruko-chan
    [MUT-D] Muteking the Dancing Hero
    [MUV-A] Muv-Luv Alternative
    [NTW] The Night Beyond the Tricornered Window
    [RGR] Rumble Garanndoll
    [SEP] Selection Projcet
    [SHZ] Shikizakura
    [TNT] Tesla Note
    [VDT] The Vampire Dies in No Time
    [WFA] The World's Finest Assassin

DOUBTFUL
    [BDV] Build Divide: Code Black
    [DPI] Deep Insanity: The Lost Child
    [SNM] The Fruit of Evolution
    [PLE] Platinum End
    [VPR] Visual Prison
    [PRH-WP] Waccha PriMagi

OUT
    Can I Make Your Ears Happy in 180 Seconds?
    Digimon Ghost Game
    Fit Boxing
    Deji Meets Girl
    Let's Make a Mug, Too! 2
    Lupin III Part VI
    Megaton Musashi
    World Trigger Season 3
    Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Komi Can't Communicate. This is one of those manga I've been meaning to check out forever, but that I keep putting off due to its ever increasing chapter count (326 as of today). So, with Episode 1 out on Netflix, I decided to check it out. While I have a general and vague knowledge of the manga, I have zero specifics so I've got zero notion as to the accuracy.

That said, I found Episode 1 to be funny, adorable and endearing as hell (once I got over my "What's the deal with Tadano's hair?"issue). So if you love the manga but are convinced that the anime is heresy so far, it's not likely a view that will be shared by those checking it out for the first time.
      My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
      1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
      2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
      3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Fall 2021: First Impressions

Now that I have had a chance to check out everything this season (except for Blade Runner that's still three weeks away), it's time for my first impressions for the season, while evaluating how likely I am to watch each of my shows. As always, the first tier are shows I have committed to watching (which includes all continuing shows listed, but without any thoughts), the second tier I'm not sure at this point, and the last tier either I dropped or if I haven't done so already I'm planning to unless the show turns things around in the next episode or two.

Red Zone
        86 (continuing)
        Aquatope on White Sand (continuing)
        Cardfight! Vanguard OverDress (continuing)
        Fena: Pirate Princess (continuing)
        The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated! (continuing)
        Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation (continuing)
        Obey Me! (short, continuing)
        Restaurant to Another World 2
        - This season is more of the same, but the show does a great job mixing things up by having the first half involving a new customer and the second featuring returning characters. As usual, the food is well-accented to make the show appetizing.
        Yashahime Season 2 - The season has started off with a mixed bag after a disappointing first season, but it looks like this season will attempt to focus on building a story more than the first season did that had too much monster-of-the-week content.
        Yuki Yuna is a Hero: The Great Mankai Chapter - At this point, I'm not sure about the direction the show is going, but it's doing a solid job in introducing the new characters, though how they are integrated into the story remains to be seen as it appears to be just a side-story than anything to more this show forward after the way the second season ended.
        Blue Period - Character development has been great, while a nice story is developing. However, the story is moving too fast as the first two episodes were rushed.
        The Heike Story - This show is very comprehensive and complex, and hard to understand as well. That said, the show is doing a great job in character development and Science Saru uses their typical unorthodox animation style to capture the atmosphere perfectly.
        Komi Can't Communicate - With great source material at hand, this show has made an excellent impression right off the bat with some great humor and cute moments to make for something worthwhile.
        My Senpai is Annoying! - This show is funny and amusing, and the characters are simply amazing. While the concept isn't the most original, the way it's used is what really makes this show go.
        Ranking of Kings - Wit has done it again as it's doing an excellent job with character building and storytelling. With two cours to work with, this show's great potential can be realized.
        Sakugan - This show made quite a great impression right off the bat with explosive action and doing a great job in building up relationships between father and daughter, as well as drive up intrigue as for stuff yet to come.
        Selection Project - At first, it appears to be just another idol show, one that follows the mold of Idoly Pride without the ghost of a legendary idol present. But what this show lacks in originality, it more than makes up for with great production values as the animation is great, the music is amazing, and dancing is nicely done. Most importantly, it avoids the trap that dooms many other idol shows by being group-focused rather than individually-focused.
        Taisho Otome Fairy Tale - This show is all about character transformation, and with strong source material to build off of, this show does a great job in staying true to it. Everything just clicks in this show.
        Takt Op. Destiny - When great animation, intriguing plotlines, and amazing music all come together, something great will happen. And indeed, that's what happens here as this show has everything going for it, and then some.
        Kaginado (short) - Being a fan of Key stuff, this is a great way to see all the great characters again for four minutes a week.

Midfield
        Ancient Girls Frame - Being something originating from China that I didn't have any expectations coming in, and while the show has a halfway decent plot and interesting characters, as well as nice character and mecha designs, the production values are pretty bad as typical of most shows with Chinese origins.
        Banished from the Hero's Party - It's another fantasy title with a long name, and while I approached this show with great skepticism given the studios animating this, the show has been fun and interesting so far, and I certainly like the show's concept.
        The Faraway Paladin - This is a show with great source material, but the choice of animation studio had me on edge seeing that it's the same guys that did that hack job that is Hatena Illusion. Nevertheless, the story is nicely done so far, but the animation quality is another matter entirely as that is holding this show back more than anything.
        Irina: The Vampire Cosmonaut - This show has done a solid job in building characters, but at the same time the show's story construction hasn't been the best, all while the characters outside of the leads have been dull and underdeveloped so far.
        Mieruko-chan - This is a show that tries to do a lot of things with the horror genre, and while it has done some nice things so far, on the flipside it has also done some stupid things, as well as stuff that feels out of place. Even so, it's still fun to watch.
        Muteking the Dancing Hero - This is a show that isn't afraid to admit just how stupid it is. The show is full of nonsensical and repetitive stuff as it makes no effort to craft a story. But despite that, it's stupidity that can be enjoyable with the right mindset as the music is great, and the animation style works well for a show like this.
        The Night Beyond the Tricornered Window - This is a BL show with a supernatural twist to it, and while the focal point is supposed to be the yaoi between the two leads, it focuses on the supernatural aspect to make it appealing. That said, while the decision to emphasize the supernatural is great, the storytelling is inconsistent as it can be great at one time, and not so much in another.
        PuraOre! Pride of Orange - It's great to finally get a sports show about ice hockey even though it's something to advertise a mixed media project rather than a traditional sports show. The show has nice animation and the portions where the girls are practicing and playing hockey are fun. But it's the moments outside of those where this show runs into problems as they either feel out of place or they are uninteresting.
        Shikizakura - This show starts off as just another generic ordinary guy becoming a superhero show, and while the story has been lacking so far, the show does a nice job with the action. Being done completely by Nagoya-area residents, the effort is definitely there, but the talent is certainly lacking compared to Tokyo. That said, the CG animation is nicely done so that the action stands out, but the generic writing is where this show runs into problems.
        The Vampire Dies in No Time - This is a funny supernatural comedy that throws a lot of random stuff, and for the most part is has been funny, save for the second half of the first episode. That said, the lack of good Monday shows will probably get this show is as at the very least I'm enjoying it even though the humor can be hit or miss at times.
        The World's Finest Assassin - Being by the same guy who did Redo of Healer, I didn't know what to expect out of this isekai, and from what I am hearing the manga was kind of mediocre. But so far it has been an enjoyable ride as the show focuses on storytelling, and does a great job in emphasizing the building of characters and intrigue.

Own 20
        AMAIM Warrior at the Borderline - This is just your generic mecha show with a pilot stumbling into war and is being tasked with fighting evil, which in this case is a corrupt government. Nothing really stands out about this show and being two cours long makes me want to watch this even less.
        Build Divide: Code Black - It's another show designed to market a card game, and it's boring and unexciting. Many other card game shows at least have something going for it, but not this one.
        Deep Insanity: The Lost Child - This show is everything that a typical show made to advertise a mobile game is all about. No plot, dull characters, terrible animation, and a confusing story pretty much makes this show an easy skip.
        The Fruit of Evolution - This is your cliched isekai show, and one that is just so mind-numbingly stupid, and not in a good way. It had a good half-episode, but other than that it's something that had been done time and again, and this show doesn't do a good job at that.
        Muv-Luv Alternative - This show is adapted from a critically-acclaimed visual novel, but having only one cour to work with (and maybe two if it takes a wait-and-see approach) had me skeptical, and so far it's turning out really badly, especially having skipped over the Extra and the much-needed Unlimited chapters. This high barrier of entry makes it a show that's so hard to understand.
        Platinum End - While the show has some great things from Death Note, it's a show that relies on cringeworthy characters and convenient plot twists that counteracts the drama it does a nice job of building. And hearing that the manga is terrible (at least it's because of the ending from what I'm hearing), that has me approaching this show with great skepiticism.
        Rumble Garanndoll - It's a stupid, fun mecha show that likes to throw a lot of weirdness and craziness. But it's because the show goes overboard on this things that this show suffers as the nonsensical plot and randomness makes this less appealing than it should.
        Tesla Note - This season's answer to Ex-Arm, this show is hot garbage. While CG animation usage is one thing, it's totally done wrong by mixing in 2D character shots going to show that the production team cut corners on this. At least the show isn't as bad as Ex-Arm is, but then again it doesn't take much for that to happen.
        Visual Prison - This show is all about advertising music as the story just doesn't matter in this show. The singing is great, but I came here to watch a story, and the story has been uninteresting so far.
        Waccha PriMagi - Haven't watched any of the other shows in this franchise, and it's clear why I probably wouldn't be interested in them as it's the generic show aimed at young girls. It's clear that this show wasn't going to win me over at all.

Comment

Simulcast Rankings: October 2021

I meant to do this last week, but it slipped out of my mind. Here are my first month simulcast ratings for this season of anime. Everything is the same as before aside from the fact that as this is the fall season, I switch over to football terminology. Black means in, red means out, and blue means I'm still undecided (as of Oct. 31 as since then I have made decisions on a few more shows) So without further ado, here they are.

Touchdown
          86 Part 2
          Ranking of Kings
          Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation Part 2
          Komi Can't Communicate

Field Goal
          My Senpai is Annoying
          Takt Op. Destiny
          The Heike Story
          Taisho Otome Fairy Tale
          The World's Finest Assassin
          Blue Period

Aquatope on White Sand
          Sakugan
          Mieruko-chan

First Down
          Restaurant to Another World Season 2
          The Faraway Paladin
          Irina the Vampire Cosmonaut
          Selection Project
          Banished from the Hero's Party
          Yuki Yuna is Hero: The Great Mankai Chapter
          Pride of Orange
          Kaginado
          Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon Season 2
          Platinum End
          The Vampire Dies in No Time
          The Great Jahy Won't Be Defeated!
          The Night Beyond the Tricornered Window

Punt
          Rumble Garanndoll
          Cardfight! Vanguard OverDress Season 2
          Ancient Girl's Frame
          Tawawa on Monday 2
          AMAIM Warrior at the Borderline
          The Fruit of Evolution
          Muv-Luv Alternative

Fumble
          Muteking the Dancing Hero
          Obey Me!
          Shikizakura
          Waccha PriMagi!
          Visual Prison
          Build Divide: Code Black
          Deep Insanity: The Lost Child
          Tesla Note

And with that, I must say that this season, like summer, is lacking on top-shelf titles and while there are quite a number of duds this season, I'm actually enjoying a number of these objectively bad shows, so putting together a final watchlist this season has proven to be quite a difficult task.

Comment

Fall 2021

01. Ousama Ranking | Ranking of Kings (A)

02. One Piece (A)
            03. Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Part 2 | Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation (A-)
            04. 86 Part 2 (A-)
            05. Kimetsu no Yaiba: Mugen Ressha-hen | Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Mugen Train Arc (B+)
            06. Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. | Komi Can't Communicate (B+)
            07. Takt Op. Destiny (B)
            08. Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi | My Senpai is Annoying (B)
            09. Blue Period (B-)
            10. Sekai Saikou no Ansatsusha, Isekai Kizoku ni Tensei suru | The World's Finest Assassin Gets Reincarnated in Another World as an Aristocrat (B-)
            11. Taishou Otome Otogibanashi | Taisho Otome Fairy Tale (B-)
            12. Heike Monogatari | The Heike Story (B-)
            13. Lupin III: Part 6 (B-)

Dropped

14. Mieruko-chan (C+)
            15. Saihate no Paladin | The Faraway Paladin (C+)
            16. Platinum End (C+)
            17. Sakugan (C+)
            18. Kaginado (C)
            19. Muv-Luv Alternative (D)

Services

Crunchyroll (5) One Piece, 86 Part 2, Kimetsu no Yaiba: Mugen Ressha-hen, Takt Op. Destiny, Sekai Saikou no Ansatsusha, Isekai Kizoku ni Tensei suru
            Funimation (5) Ousama Ranking, Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Part 2, Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi, Taishou Otome Otogibanashi, Heike Monogatari
            Netflix (2) Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu., Blue Period
            HIDIVE (1) Lupin III: Part 6

Weekly Schedule

Sunday (2) Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Part 2, Kimetsu no Yaiba: Mugen Ressha-hen
            Monday (0)
            Tuesday (1) Takt Op. Destiny
            Wednesday (2) Sekai Saikou no Ansatsusha, Isekai Kizoku ni Tensei suru, Heike Monogatari
            Thursday (2) Ousama Ranking, Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu.
            Friday (1) Taishou Otome Otogibanashi
            Saturday (5) One Piece, 86 Part 2, Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi, Blue Period, Lupin III: Part 6
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: October 1-15

Time for my first post-simulcast report of the season, which comes in at the midpoint of the season as I have been behind on those. Just one review to write for these first two weeks as I was quite busy with a lot of other stuff on my mind during those two weeks.

Completed

*Re-Main: B-

^S-Cry-ed (1-26): B
              This show does an excellent job with combining great action, complex characters, a nicely-composed jazz soundtrack, and good drama to produce a highly entertaining show. While the individual components are great, the overall story doesn't completely hit its mark as it leaves a good amount of stuff unsettled at the end. The other major flaw are the way the character deaths are handled as a number of them felt really cheap. In the grand scheme of things, it's a show where the action and the style carries it through, and while the substance is quite good, it definitely had some issues that could have been cleaned up.

Ongoing

[CFV-3] Cardfight!! Vanguard: Link Joker (27-30)
              [EDZ] Edens Zero (7-12)
              [KGD] Kingdom (1-5)
              [MSG-BF] Gundam Build Fighters (1-2)
              [NAR-S] Naruto Shippuden (319-328)
              [OPC] One Piece (687-696)
              ^[GGR] School-Live! (1-3)

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: October 16-31

Onto the second post-simulcast report this season.

* indicates a simulcast title, which isn't reviewed in this report
                ^ indicates a show being rewatched (will get a review for the second time around, but not for the third time and beyond)

Completed

*Fena: Pirate Princess: B

School-Live! (4-12): B
                This show combines the typical cute girls doing cute things kind of show with a serious and life-threatening situation very nicely as it does a great job in emphasizing the story and character connections, as well as slowly bringing the MC's delusional behavior to reality. That said, while this show's story does a great job in being outside the box, the show suffers from uneven story progression and it's a show that can definitely be polarizing given the kind of show that this is. In any case, it's something that is very intriguing to watch all the way through.

My Hero Academia the Moive 3: World Heroes' Mission (movie): B
                This is another typical shonen series movie as the movie does what the main series does best, and that is provide nice action sequences. It has solid movie-only characters that are interesting and well-developed. That said, the show's story was kind of underwhelming as it felt like something was missing, all while plot progression felt convenient for the most part. In any case, it was satisfying to watch for those who are fans of the series as it's very entertaining, but it's just that.

Kiki's Delivery Service (movie): A
                This is another great classic put out by Hayao Miyazaki as it's a movie that emphasizes growth and development, and learning more about one's self. This was all perfectly executed with a combination of great animation for its era, a well-constructed plot, and natural story progression that makes this a must-watch movie.

^Toilet-bound Hanako-kun (1-12): B+
                This show does a great job with an unusual approach to the supernatural genre. It starts off with the unique art style that does an excellent job in capturing the mood of this show. Then there are the great characters, and lastly there's the balance between the humor and the horror this show gets right. While these things make the show go, the storywriting is not exactly on-par with everything else as the story feels like it's going nowhere and it feels like this show does nothing but sidetracking. Nevertheless, the show has its great appeal with the characters and unorthodox animation style that lead to something worthwhile.

Ongoing

[CFV-3] Cardfight!! Vanguard: Link Joker (31-33)
                [KGD] Kingdom (5-10)
                ^[MHA-4] My Hero Academia Season 4 (64-70)
                [NAR-S] Naruto Shippuden (329-333)
                [OPC] One Piece (697-710)

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine
                Working...
                X