X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2021] The Faraway Paladin Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    最果てのパラディン

An isekai about a human raised by undead parents who is on a journey to becoming a Paladin, as well as to explore the dead man's land that holds quite a lot of mysteries they hold.

Airs: Saturday, October 9, 2021

Studio: Children's Playground

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

In a city of the dead, long since ruined and far from human civilization, lives a single human child. His name is Will, and he's being raised by three undead: the hearty skeletal warrior, Blood; the graceful mummified priestess, Mary; and the crotchety spectral sorcerer, Gus. The three pour love into the boy, and teach him all they know.

But one day, Will starts to wonder: "Who am I?" Will must unravel the mysteries of this faraway dead man's land, and unearth the secret pasts of the undead. He must learn the love and mercy of the good gods, and the bigotry and madness of the bad. And when he knows it all, the boy will take his first step on the path to becoming a Paladin.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Futaba Igarashi, My Senpai is Annoying
    Watching: School-Live!, Hanako-kun, Vanguard Link Joker, Kingdom
    Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

The dead are alive.

So it begins with Will's childhood being explained, and quickly showing that he used to live in Japan before ending up in this place. And then the parents are introduced, the lich Blood, the mummy Mary, and the geezer ghost Gus. Will has been going through lots of training throughout his life as while he has been dealing with tough love, it's love nonetheless. And then things take a turn when he sees Mary burning up while she was praying and would have been burnt to a crisp had Will not intervened, and in doing so Will's hands got burned. It turns out that that they have been praying to Mater, but Mary betrayed her, and thus she's on Mater's bad side. Pretty interesting start here as it's mostly setup and getting to know everybody. The show has some great source material, but the choice of studio has me approaching this show with expectations in check.

As always, I'm in the trial phase anytime I start a new show, and the process will need to play itself out before making a decision.
    Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

You can bet on Will.

Just like that, Will has matured into a fine teen as now is he put to the test to see if he has what it takes to be a warrior, and Gus sure took some extreme measures with that test. But in the end, Will totally aced it with the deciding factor being that he is willing to sacrifice himself as he was about to deliver the finishing blow to Gus. Things moved pretty quickly here seeing that it went from being born to becoming old enough to venture out in just two episodes. And then there was that gambling scene that was quite amusing, especially when Mary finds out about it. Good to see that Will is starting to realize his great potential there as he has been through a lot of training and is progressing very nicely with it.

Comment

Episode 3

The time has come to set off.

Lots of info dumping and explanations here as having turned 16, Will has become of age. So after some booze and one last duel against Blood to prove that he is ready to venture out on a journey, a duel in which Blood used his exposed rib cage to trap Will's sword, he is given a powerful sword that's dangerous if he's too dependent on it. And then the story behind that demon blade is explained. Pretty much, this explains Blood's background as he and Gus fought the high king and he is sealed underground. Just when it looked like everything was A-OK there, all of the sudden something big happens there at the end. What comes next ought to be interesting, and will just about decide whether or not I stick with this show.

Comment

Episode 4

By the grace of the goddess...

Things changed pretty quickly as in comes Stagnate, and while Will's parents would have had no problem dealing with him had they been in their primes, not so much as they are right now. Nevertheless, Will realized that he didn't want to live this life with regret after experiencing the shut-in life with his previous life. So he does something about that by making a pact with Gracefeel, and now being blessed by a goddess, Will turned the tables on Stagnate. Or at least that's what he thought as this was just a decoy to get him out of the way so that he can get a free shot on Blood and Mary. Nice to see that Will wised up there and remembers just how unpleasant his previous life was, but he has the power to do something about it.

So with that, the trial period is over, and while I was on the fence about this show, this episode definitely convinced me that it's going to be great aside from the animation quality coming from a no-name studio.

Comment

Episode 5

The journey starts today.

While Will was able to defeat Stagnate, unfortunately his parents Mary and Blood still pass away as they succumb to old age. But had Stagnate gotten to them first he wouldn't even have had the chance to say goodbye to his parents. While Mary and Blood are gone, Gus is still around for another ten years or so seeing that he's determined to keep un living until he completes his mission. Quite an emotional episode that was, and that post-credits scene showing the time Mary and Blood decided to get married and have children as humans was an amazing way to put a cap on this. And thus, the time has come for the newly-named William Gus Maryblood to explore the world and to carve out his own destiny.

Comment

Episode 6

Those who help others help themselves.

Will's journey starts off with the adventurer having no contact with other humans for awhile before meeting up with the elf archer Menel, who warns him not to follow him to his home village and to just follow the river to the next town. But when Gracefeel tells him that something bad is about to happen there, he can't help but to rush in and it turns out Menel is the perpetrator of the attack as he's helping out the citizens of a village that was destroyed by demons. Thanks to Will's intervention, everything was resolved peacefully as the refugees get to live there in exchange for money paid for by Will as had he not stepped in, the attackers were going to be executed. Quite a cruel world those guys live in, and Menel is someone who is only doing this to help those villagers get by, but everything would be better if they all just got along, and that they did. Now that this problem has been resolved, Will is now traveling with Menel as those two have become buddies and I'm curious to see where this all leads to.

Comment

Episode 7

A second chance at life.

Thanks to Will, Menel and the villagers displaced by those demons can go home, and there Menel sees the ghost of his adopted mother Marple as she tells Menel that he needs to take advantage of the second chance at life he got. It's a great thing Will got there when he did since Menel was about to lose it all. While the story continues to be great, the animation quality on the other hand, not so much. In any case, the next episode is the dreaded recap episode, and it just drives me crazy when shows come out when there isn't enough progress being made as I thought that this wouldn't be much of a problem after the first state of emergency order. But in any case, I'll need to wait two more weeks before seeing how things follow.

Comment

Episode 8

Sound off the new friendship.

After defeating the monsters who bulldozed the village that led to everything that happened after Will met Menel, the next order of business is to gather supplies to rebuild the place as there's quite a lot of work to do. So it's off to Whitesails and along the way, Will and Menel make two new friends in the merchant Tonio and the musician Bee. And those two are getting along quite well as together they are making this journey very fulfilling. Bee sure knows how to play music there as she has the right song for the right moment. While the whole friendship stuff is nice, things aren't exactly going anywhere in the grand scheme of things.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine
                  Working...
                  X