X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2021] Shikizakura Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    シキザクラ

A CG show created entirely by Nagoyans about a superhero and a shrine maiden battling Oni to save the world that's being threatened by the spirit world.

Airs: Saturday, October 9, 2021

Studio: Sublimation

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    HIDIVE

Shikizakura: where cherry blossoms are in full bloom while trees are colored with autumn leaves. In this special place, where the transient world meets the spirit world, a ritual to save humanity is about to begin...

High school student Kakeru Miwa, by a strange turn of events, winds up being an irregular member of a power suit team tasked with battling Oni. These Oni possess humans and try to cling to the transient world. Only the power suit, Yoroi, which combines ancient secrets with the latest technology, can protect people from Oni. Kakeru decides to become a hero who will battle Oni and protect Ouka Myoujin, the shrine maiden fated with saving the world.

Shikizakura season. Ouka dances as a shrine maiden in autumn leaves and cherry blossoms. Heroic action—where the past and the future, the transient world and the spirit world, thoughts and wishes, all intersect—begins here!

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Futaba Igarashi, My Senpai is Annoying
    Watching: School-Live!, Hanako-kun, Vanguard Link Joker, Kingdom
    Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Survivor's guilt looms large.

And so it begins with Kakeru going on a class field trip into a museum that chronicles the great catastrophe he survived, with one of the visitors being an American voiced in English by Caitlin Macatee, and there he is attacked by the Oni. He saves Ouka, but takes the fall where he gains his fighting abilities and fights back to save the day. After all that, Kakeru is tied up and taken by Ouka's comrades.

So far, it's a pretty generic start, and while I was worried about the CG usage after experiencing the abominations that are Ex-Arm and now Tesla Note, the CG quality is pretty solid for this show, about the same quality as Hi Score Girl and Duke of Death. Nevertheless, the show's generic start has me unconvinced, but the story does have a good amount of intrigue, about Kakeru's background and about the enemy invaders. This show was made entirely by Nagoyans, and while their talent level doesn't compare to Tokyo's, I do appreciate their efforts as it was clear that they wanted to do this and keep it local. Of course, I wasn't expecting it to be great given the setup and staff, but it's more about appreciating their efforts.

As usual, the show will undergo the usual trial period every show does, so I'll be tuning in for at least a couple more episodes before making the final decision.
    Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

He'll be a hero, even if it kills him.

Just like that, Kakeru goes from zero to hero as he decides he wants to fight the Oni, and will accept Ibara's power even if he is well aware that the last person to possess it was killed by it. And thus, a hero is born and is ready to die seeing that he had a brush with death before, and that he doesn't want to die having accomplished nothing. Pretty generic that was once again, but the action at least was decent given the kind of show this is.

Comment

Episode 3

Getting life back on track.

After the first two episodes were focused on Kakeru, this one focuses on his teammate Haruko as she was on the track team with Kaede and Yoko. Kaede used to make a deal with the devil to gain the advantage on the track team, but losing all sense of self in the process before Haruko intervened. And now, it's happening to her fellow teammate Yoko as she got herself possessed, and now she's on a rampage. But it's Haruko to the rescue and just like that, everything is all well and good again. I wasn't expecting the flashback sequences to be in 2D, but at least it's not mixing in with the 3D animation unlike with a certain other show this season. Anyway, that was a rather dull episode there and I'm hoping things return to the matter at hand since that's when the show is the most interesting.

Comment

Episode 4

Enjoy it while it lasts.

And this episode is just filler, plain and simple as it's all about Kakeru having some udon with his friend, and he gets all crazy, while all sorts of references happen. And this with the animation in 2D, and while I'm none too pleased with this inconsistency, at least it occurs only during flashback scenes and content totally irrelevant to the main plot that this segment is. It was funny, but at the same time the show's momentum came to a screeching halt. Next time, it's back to the main plot at hand as now Kakeru and company are dealing with some human enemies from the look of things, not just the Oni.

With that, the trial period is over, and it was as good as I was expecting it to be. That said, I'm not quite ready to give up on this show just yet as I am expecting a plot twist to come, and hopefully it will be more in-line with what I thought this show was going to do before the last two episodes were essentially sidetracks.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine
          Working...
          X