X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2021] Muv-Luv Alternative Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    マブラヴ オルタネイティヴ

A show based on the original Muv-Luv visual novel about teen soldiers piloting power mechas to defeat a very dangerous extraterrestrial lifeform to save humanity. This universe is completely independent from Total Eclipse and Schwarzesmarken.

Airs: Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Studio: Graphanica, Yumeta Company, Flagship Line

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

In 1973, the invasion of an extra terrestrial life form, the BETA, began a war that has driven mankind to the brink of extinction. In an attempt to counter the BETA's overwhelming strength in numbers, mankind has developed the humanoid weapons known as TSFs, deploying them on the front lines of their Anti-BETA War all across the globe. However, mankind still lost the majority of Eurasia to the superior numbers of the marching BETA. For nearly 30 years, mankind has remained bogged down in its struggle against the BETA with no hope in sight.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Futaba Igarashi, My Senpai is Annoying
    Watching: School-Live!, Hanako-kun, Vanguard Link Joker, Kingdom
    Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Sometimes you've gotta admit defeat.

So it begins with a BETA invasion of the portside town Sadoshima, and a wall was built up to protect the civilians from the BETAs. But then a huge BETA arrives and knocks down the wall, allowing the horde to invade the town and kill almost everybody in it. It was quite brutal to see everything going down, and it feels just like the beginning of Attack on Titan where a town that hwas been well-protected suddenly becomes a ghost town with the survivors fleeing. Pretty solid start for an episode that is anime original from what I have been hearing, though the animation quality looks pretty bad, all while if it intends to adapt the events of the visual novel, it absolutely cannot be done in just 12 episodes. The original visual novel is great from what I'm hearing, but after seeing how bad the production values were, I'm approaching this show with great skepticism. While the source material is better than Total Eclipse or Schwarzesmarken, the real estate given for this show is worrisome.

As usual, the trial period rules are in effect.
    Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

Same faces, different places.

And so, this feels like the true beginning of the story as there's no direct connection to the first episode that's anime-original, all while this episode features a lot of material from the visual novel crammed together. Nevertheless, it does the job with introducing the characters and the situation Takeru is in as he finds himself in an alternative world where instead of going to a normal high school, he's attending a military school, and the people he knew from school are there, but they aren't the same people. He is alerted to the fact that in two months all hell breaks loose due to the Alternative V project, and he's part of Alternative IV to stop it. Knowing nothing about the visual novel, it's an alright episode as a stand-alone. But given what I have been told about how badly it botches the adaptation of the visual novel, I am definitely wary about the direction this show is going.

Comment

Episode 3

The future depends on him.

And the training continues as Takeru shows just how strong he is and what the girls can learn from him. And then he meets the girl with the rabbit Kasumi, who has a good amount of merch back in the day. And after training goes well, the unit is treated to a trip to the South Pacific, albeit not for vacationing. A lot of stuff just didn't make sense here, but seeing that it requires having played the Extra and Unlimited stories of the visual novel that it just isn't possible.

So with that, this will be it for me with this show due to me not meeting the prerequisites for watching this. With only one cour there was just no way things were going to work out as this is clearly catered to those who have played the visual novel, which I haven't done. At least Total Eclipse and Schwarzesmarken there are no such requirements, and while the source material is great for this version, it doesn't translate well into an anime show that is supposed to introduce those who know nothing about this series into this franchise, which it clearly isn't doing.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine
        Working...
        X