X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2021] Pride of Orange Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    プラオレ!~PRIDE OF ORANGE~

A show about girls playing ice hockey after realizing how cool the sport is.

Airs: Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Studio: C2C

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Funimation

The story takes place in Nikko city, Tochigi Prefecture, where girls aim for the top of the world through ice hockey. Local junior high school student Manaka and her younger sister Ayaka, whom she forcibly invited, hit the gate of first-hand experience with ice hockey, held by the Nikko-based team Dream Monkeys. The two are joined by their childhood friends Kaoruko and Mami. As the girls practice, they become fascinated with ice hockey and eventually join the team.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Futaba Igarashi, My Senpai is Annoying
    Watching: School-Live!, Hanako-kun, Vanguard Link Joker, Kingdom
    Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

This sport is so cool.

So it begins with some junior high school girls hanging around together, and then after spending some time doing things schoolgirls typically do, they head out to the arena to try out for a newly formed hockey team. And there, the rules of the game are explained and the skills needed to play the sport. They struggle, but at the same time they find themselves having quite a lot of fun. It's great to finally have a show about ice hockey seeing that just about every other sport has a show, but there wasn't any about this sport until now. Granted, while I would rather see it as a traditional shonen sports show rather than one that appears to be a part-idol show, it's nice to see something different for a change. Anyway, the first half was rather uneventful, while the second half was a tutorial realizing that the sport is relatively unknown in Japan compared to the sports with so many shows out there like baseball and soccer. Hopefully things will build off of this seeing that it's in setup mode at this point.

As usual, just like what the girls are going through in this show it will be subjected to my trial.
    Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

Spreading the word and the puck around.

And now the girls are being filmed to promote the game as they head to a ryokan owned by Manaka's family where they attempt to gain publicity for a sport that's relatively unknown in Japan. So between their embroidery club stuff and their hockey practice, these girls sure have been active. Practice goes much better now that the girls have read up on the rules and gotten some practice in, all while Riko shows off her skills. As it turns out Riko's father used to be a professional hockey player, so it's no wonder that she is ahead of the curve. Just when it looked like everything was going well, it turns out that Mami is moving and transferring high schools, so she's not part of the team. But it looks like they don't have to look far for a replacement as Yu needs a new team to join there at the end. This show continues to be girls just being girls, but playing hockey as part of it, and while they are building chemistry, it's not through the sport just yet.

Comment

Episode 3

Just one game.

With the news that Mami is moving, Manaka wants to have a match with playing alongside her before she moves at the end of the semester, and that's asking quite a lot seeing that three months isn't a lot of time for a startup team full of beginners to play a match, even a practice one. The girls just don't have the stamina, but they were up to the task. After 2.5 months of hard practice, the Dream Monkeys play their first match against a junior team consisting of girls who have played the sport for a lot longer. And as expected, they didn't stand a chance, but they did get a goal at the buzzer to avoid the shutout. That was all the girls needed to be happy about the outcome. So with that, the girls have a match under their belt, but they will need to find a new teammate, and of course practice a lot more seeing that they have quite a long way to go if they are going to even stand a chance in official games. While the show continues to not do much outside the rink, the hockey segments continue to be fun to watch at the very least. Hopefully things will pick up and be more hockey-focused, and it starts off with the girls getting a new teammate, and I look forward to seeing how things turn out on that end.

Comment

Episode 4

Get to the goal.

It's a new year, the girls are now in high school, and the time has come for the girls to see if they pass the trial or not. Manaka is having a hard time memorizing the rules, but her sister Ayaka has a much bigger struggle as her physical condition just isn't as great as the rest of the team's. So the exam is on and after the written part that Manaka celebrates as if she won the Stanley Cup over something that's supposed to be easy breezy, it's onto basic fundamentals, and the last part is to skate 100 laps. While the rest of the team had no problem, Ayaka was struggling. But after being cheered on, she makes it to the end. Quite a nice way for the girls to come together. Next time, Yoko is looking to recruit Yu onto her team as the ace for Snow White has just quit the team, and seeing that such great talent is available that she's pouncing on the opportunity. Seeing that she's a control freak that it's going to be tough to build chemistry with her, but seeing that these girls are willing to listen to anything that this is a big chance to add some elite talent to the team.

And with that, my trial period is over, and while I'm leaning towards keeping it given my tastes, there are just so many other worthwhile shows this season. So I'm not quite ready to call it in just yet.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

I swear Yoko feels like she has a desire to be that character that reveals themselves as the plot twist final boss in a video game.

It feels like you could hide an entire season between episode 3 and 4.

Yu probably cringes whenever she hears phrases like the power of friendship I'm guessing.

Comment

Episode 5

Don't hate hockey.

Now that the Dream Monkeys are an official team, it's time for the girls to get their gear as they do some shopping at the equipment store, whose manager is also the coach of a rival girls team, and then they get their jersey numbers, and since Nikko has several teams that they can't have the same number as the other players across the other teams. There's #15 for Kaoruko since she loves strawberries, then there's 10 for Ayaka that's the sum of the digits for her birthday (Feb. 2, 2006), 24 for Riko, 88 for Naomi, and 1 for Manaka as she's all about being the best. While that's happening, Yoko is recruiting Yu after she quit the Snow White team and moved to Nikko wanting to just be a normal girl. And while she was fed up with her team, it's through that handicapped challenge where she realizes that she still loves hockey and just needs a change of scenery. While the Snow White was all about winning, the Dream Monkeys are all about having fun. Things are slowly coming together as now things are focusing more on hockey and not the other sidetracks that made the first few episodes tougher to watch than they should be. Next time, the Dream Monkeys are playing their first official match, and from the look of things it's against the team coached by the manager of the equipment shop.

Comment

Episode 6

Breaking the ice.

The girls are finally playing their first game as the newly-formed Dream Monkeys, and their first match is against a team coached by the a hockey legend in Japan, Suzuki. Yu scored a goal, then committed an elbowing penalty that sent her to the box for two minutes, and the at the buzzer she nets another goal. The Dream Monkeys lost 3-2, but they showed quite a lot of promise there as the girls are coming together as a team. Yu is in a place where she's wanted unlike her previous team, so it's all well and good. But what came afterwards is really head-scratching as here I thought that the girls were spending all their time practicing on the ice, but they still managed to find a way to practice their singing and dance moves to put on their "victory dance" even though they lost. While the song was good, I find that to be out of place in a show like this.

Comment

Episode 7

Getting warm before it gets cold.

In a show about a winter sport, the last thing I would expect to see is a beach episode, but it's summer and the season doesn't start until the fall. In the meantime, the girls are headed out to Okinawa for a special training routine to strengthen their bodies and increase their stamina as they have quite a lot of catching up to do having just picked up the sport recently. But despite that, Manaka is only trying to have some fun there seeing that she wore her swimsuit under her clothes while traveling on the plane so that she would be first in the water. And then those girls played a game of volleyball, and while it's nothing like hockey, they are getting plenty of exercise in to be in peak condition before the season starts. Good to see the girls coming together as a team, though I question the need for them to practice their "victory dance" seeing that it's hard work doing, even if not on a professional level.

Comment

Episode 8

Time to drop the puck.

After a year of training, it's finally time for the Dream Monkeys to make their debut on the ice. With the way things are setting up, the season will end with the Dream Monkeys playing Snow White that would be a revenge match for Yu against her old team, and while the team has struggled without her having dropped to the B-league, they did add a Canadian stud to their team and all of the sudden they are looking like an A-league team again. And the first match brings adversity to these girls as Riko twisted her foot there and seeing that this team has only six players that it's a huge problem when someone gets hurt. Of course, hockey at this level is far safer than at the pro level with the rules set up to protect these athletes, but even so injuries can still happen. I have to think that it's not serious and would be good with some rest, but Riko will probably try and play through it.

Comment

Episode 9

When all else fails, think friendship.

​​​​​​Riko's ankle is sprained, and while it's not serious, it will require rest, so she's out of action for awhile. After she went down, the team was just disorganized and was lucky only to be down by one after that sloppy performance, especially by Naomi. It turns out that Naomi and Riko go way back as they played ice hockey together, and then Naomi decided to quit the sport to try figure skating simply because it looked a whole lot more glamourous, but would find out just how difficult it is to be a figure skater. Not to mention, Riko lost her will to play. But Naomi went back to hockey, and the rest was history. And coming out of the first intermission, Naomi plays much better and helps set up her teammates to beat the Phoenix. Quite a nice turnaround there seeing that injuries will happen even though the rules at this level of competition help reduce it. So with that, there are three more episodes as the next episode figures to be a lead-up to the match against Yu's former team to end the series.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine
                      Working...
                      X