X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2021] Mieruko-chan Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    見える子ちゃん

A horror comedy series about a high school girl who can see scary monsters and paranormal activity, but will do whatever it takes to stay out of trouble, and doing so in some really hilarious ways.

Airs: Sunday, October 3, 2021

Studio: Passione

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Funimation

Miko is a typical high school student whose life turns upside down when she suddenly starts to see gruesome and hideous monsters. Despite being completely terrified, Miko carries on with her daily life, pretending not to notice the horrors that surround her. She must endure the fear in order to keep herself and her friend Hana out of danger, even if that means coming face to face with the absolute worst. Blending both comedy and horror, Mieruko-chan tells the story of a girl who tries to deal with the paranormal by acting indifferent toward it.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Futaba Igarashi, My Senpai is Annoying
    Watching: School-Live!, Hanako-kun, Vanguard Link Joker, Kingdom
    Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Seeing is not believing.

And so it begins with Miko freaking out as she sees dead spirits all the time and can't catch a break. She sees one in the fridge, she sees one when she retrieves her lost keychain, and at the bus stop, and even on her smartphone. Quite a tough life there, and this show that's supposed to be a horror comedy, so far there isn't much comedy to speak of just yet. It certainly was a solid start, and could be a fun show moving forward, but so far it's all about establishing itself more than anything, and while the horror gimmick is nice, it just doesn't work as well when there are those fanservicey shots.

And like with all shows this season, the first episode is only the first part in establishing a show's prospects and after going through the trial period I'll make a decision. So far, I kinda like what I see, but I will need to see some more before making a ruling on it.
    Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Good god, those are some terrifying looking spirits. Isn't this supposed to be horror comedy? I guess the emphasis is going to on the horror.
      Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Episode 2

Don't judge a book by its cover.

After introducing Miko, this episode focuses on her friend Hana, and with those big boobs that she has that there would naturally be a good amount of fanservice centered around her. And that's exactly what happens here as there's a perverted ghost grabbing her chest, all while Miko squirting all that hand sanitizer on her reveals something underneath her shirt. And Hana picks up an abandoned cat and while she would love to take it in, her place doesn't allow pets. So after looking around for an owner, some charming dude comes in, but Miko got the bad vibes from him. Instead, it is given to that gangster-looking guy, who is actually a cat lover as he is a lot kinder than he looks having lost his wife. Pretty much what Miko said on the end goes to show that looks aren't everything. Entertaining stuff once again as it have a good amount of fanservice here after showcasing Miko's thighs, it's Hana's bust.

Comment

Episode 3

Beads are meant to break.

And once again, Miko continues to make crazy reactions in light of her ability to see ghosts, starting with a trip to Starbucks that ends up being quite an adventure seeing that Hana was late getting there, all while Miko ended up missing her bus stop. While waiting, her reactions attract the attention of some handsome guy she's not interested in who already has a girlfriend. And then Miko realizes that prayer beads are nothing but a scam as they just keep on breaking. Even the ones that actually have power in them didn't stand a chance. An amusing episode that was going to show that seeing ghosts can make for some unusual situations.

Comment

Episode 4

What can 500 yen buy?

That was just pure silliness there as Miko made quite a big scene when she was making a simple trip to the convenience store. And then going out to buy a drink at the convenience store turned into another adventure when she dropped her 500-yen coin and it ends up rolling, and then a crow snatched it away with Miko spinning it off as a fair exchange for being saved from dealing with some nasty spirits. Pretty much, this episode is mostly focused on family here as Kyosuke got a good amount of focus there, and it is revealed that Miko's father died not too long ago, and one of Miko's greatest regrets was not apologizing for eating his pudding. Pretty much, it's more of the same, just in a different setting.

So with that, the trial period is over for this show, and I'm not too sure about this show at this point. I'll at least watch the next episode just to get into the Halloween spirit of things.

Comment

Episode 5

She's not the only one who can see them.

Here comes Yulia, and she these ghosts just like Miko. What she doesn't realize is just how useless those beads really are. So she approaches Miko and the two end up talking in the gym equipment storage room to make her presence known. And then Miko helps out an old lady she at first mistook for a ghost, and she does a good deed despite everything that went on. Pretty amusing stuff once again as Yulia made quite an impression there, being the stalker who finally shows herself to Miko.

Comment

Episode 6

Feel her divine power.

And now an episode focused on Hana as it turns out she has a divine aura that can ward off those spirits, which comes in handy when she goes out a rescues some kid's dog. She does so while on the way to meeting up with Miko for a day out together, which takes them to an abandoned shrine where Miko is scared, but Hana is totally unfazed as she takes selfies as if nothing is wrong. Pretty nice way to show what Hana is all about out, a blessing that serves as a nice counterbalance to the grim and gloomy Miko with a curse.

So with that, the extended trial period is over, and I'm leaning towards watching this show.

Comment

Episode 7

Light at the beginning of the tunnel.

And now, Miko, Hana, and Yulia all go out together to an abandoned tunnel way out in the mountainside that's haunted. But as it turns out, not all evil spirits are created evil as there's a spider lady chowing down on these spirits who reside in the tunnel. However, Miko has the means to fight back now as she called upon those fox spirits to help her defeat that spider lady monstrosity. Great to see that Miko is doing something about these spirits now that she has some power, all while Hana continues to amuse with her divine aura when she's around.

Comment

Episode 8

All in the family.

Miko and Kyosuke go shopping for a present for their mother, and for that Miko is trying out a dress and finds a spirit in the fitting room complementing her. Then on the way home, she sees an ax-wielding spirit who is chopping people in order to dispose of evil spirits hidden within these guys. And with the homeroom teacher going on maternity leave, her substitute is Toono, that charming guy who Miko refused to give the cat to back in the second episode, and with those eyes he's definitely not just any normal dude. Pretty amusing stuff once again, and things are about to get interesting now that Miko has somebody who she's on the bad side of now as her teacher. And speaking of the cat, that bald dude is celebrating his anniversary with his late wife, and with her being dead and all what he did pretty much suffices.

Comment

Episode 9

It's OK to scream.

That substitute teacher sure does give off the creeps there as being around him just doesn't feel safe for Miko that she hides in the girls restroom, where she sees a different kind of ghost, one she can't scream at. And then the three amigas head off to a haunted house that is put up by a donut shop as Hana loves donuts and can't say no to them when they are free. It was another scary experience being chased by a bunch of guys in costumes, but this time Miko can scream and does so in joy seeing that this is a place where screaming it is totally acceptable and expected to scream. Pretty amusing stuff once again going to show how crazy things get in a show like this.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine
                      Working...
                      X