X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2021] Irina: The Vampire Cosmonaut Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    月とライカと吸血姫

An alternative history show about a vampire girl being sent into space to be the first astronaut in human history.

Airs: Sunday, October 3, 2021

Studio: Arvo Animation

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Funimation

The first astronaut in human history was a vampire girl.

Following the end of World War II, the world-dividing superpowers, Federal Republic of Zirnitra in the East and United Kingdom of Arnack in the West, turned their territorial ambitions toward space. Both countries have been competing fiercely for development.

East history 1960. Gergiev, the chief leader of the Republic, announces the manned space flight program Project Mechtat (Dream), which, if successful, would be the first feat for humankind. At that time, Lev Leps, a substitute astronaut candidate, is ordered to perform a top secret mission. The "Nosferatu Project"—a program that experiments with vampires prior to manned missions—will use Irina Luminesk as a test subject, and Lev is to monitor and train her.

Even while trifled by the walls of the race and ego of the nations, Lev and Irina share a genuine sentiment as they aim for the universe.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Futaba Igarashi, My Senpai is Annoying
    Watching: School-Live!, Hanako-kun, Vanguard Link Joker, Kingdom
    Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

She's not just a thing.

And so it begins with introductions as the replacement astronaut Lev is introduced to the vampire girl Irina and is in charge of training her to be a cosmonaut. Of course, it's not going to be an easy task with Irina's view towards humanity, and nobody can really blame her seeing that Lev is aware of all the awful things humanity has done, and in particular turning living things into objects they use without any regard to their well-being, all coming after the dog Maly was sent into space and died almost immediately. But Lev is out to change all that as he views Irina as Irina, and the two are developing quite an interesting relationship. Pretty solid way to start things off as this show certainly shows promise, all while this relationship is something that figures to be well-developed.

As always, trail period rules are in effect, and nothing will be decided right away as I'll need to watch some more before making a final decision.
    Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

Training Begins

Irina and Lev start the cosmonaut training regimen, except they have to do at night given Irina's sensitivity to sunlight. Other than that it is the same training as the rest do during the day. Irina proves that she can take whatever is dished out to her and then some. It doesn't help that the the doctor in charge does not like her and tends to drive her harder than human candidates. He kinda reminds me of the mad scientist in Youjo Senki, except more sadistic.

We do discover some more things about Irina and her race. They rarely drink blood, and when they do it is at a coming of age ceremony where it is not even human blood. Irina is a bit afraid of heights, and she discovers she likes flavored soda water despite not being able to taste.

Liking the show so far but I am wondering about the premise. Mixing vampires with the early years of the Space Race is rather strange and I am wondering how that combination will play out as part of the overall plot. I can see that maybe the government wants to experiment on "objects" before sending humans, but vampires? Speaking of which, the show goes to great lengths to show how the vampire race is far removed from the movies stereotypical depictions. That is fine, but why does she sleep in a coffin then? I also hope they get into her backstory. Why did they pick her? Voluntary? She seems to want to go into space. Why?
      Avatar: Asakusa Midori from Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!

Comment

Re: Episode 2

The road to the moon starts now.

And thus, the training program begins as Irina shows off her athleticism, though only a few people are able to see it as being a vampire means she can only go out at night when almost everybody else is asleep. Pretty brutal stuff there, and I got dizzy just watching her take a spin, but it takes somebody in peak physical shape in order to handle the arduous task of being a cosmonaut. Nevertheless, it's good to see their relationships building up through all this, though there's definitely some plotting and scheming going on by the higher-ups.

Comment

Episode 3

Soaring to new heights.

And now, Lev must solve Irina's fear of heights as it's absolutely crucial in order to become a cosmonaut. So they start off by parachuting from a tall structure to get her comfortable. And then Irina and Lev parachute out of a chopper attached to each other and after going through back, Irina is ready for more. Those two are establishing a good relationship there seeing that it is absolutely crucial.

Comment

Episode 4

Get there before man does.

Lots of background information is explained as Irina has a day off her training, and the two spend the night at a tavern, and then Irina goes ice skating showing off her athleticism. Though being dressed like that I don't know how she isn't freezing after all that. So it is revealed that Irina volunteered to become a cosmonaut, and that's because the village she was from was massacred, so she has nothing left to go back home to. She just wants to make her mark before she becomes a nobody, and that something would be to make it to the moon before humanity pollutes it. Well, that was a rather lackluster episode there, but it looks like something big is about to happen.

With that, the trial period is over for this show, and at the moment I'm not sure which direction I will go with it. While the show has an interesting setup, this is that kind of show where it's either really interesting or really bland. In any case, this show is one that's a toss-up.

Comment

Episode 6

Final days of training

Irina is having problems after seeing a crashed spacecraft in the previous episode. She is having nightmares and cannot hold any food down. She is so weak she can barely stand and eventually collapses. After all is said and done, they realize she needs blood. She doesn't want bottled blood due to uncertain origins so Lev volunteers to let her drink from his arm. After this she is revived and ready to continue. Meanwhile, we learn that the rocket only has a 30% chance of success. The leader orders the launch to proceed without delay, regardless of the risk. During a centrifuge test the machine malfunctions and increases G forces to lethal levels. Lev, over the objections of the lead scientist, breaks the power supply to cut power to the centrifuge. The doctor then attacks Irina saying she is the cause of the malfunction. Lev defends Irina and the doctor has him arrested. For Irina it is on to the launch site for final preparations of launch, only days away. The last scene shows Lev apparently having some kind of reaction to Irina's bite.

The doctor was willing to let Irina die in the centrifuge and was angry that Lev saved her. I find it a little odd that nobody calls the doctor out on the fact he is willing to let all that time and money spent on training Irina go to waste just because he does not like vampires. Interested to see what kind of reaction Lev has to Irina's bite. Hopefully it is not something lame like Lev turning into a vampire. I wonder why they didn't just try a blood transfusion.
              Avatar: Asakusa Midori from Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!

Comment

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine
              Working...
              X