X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2021] The Night Beyond the Tricornered Window Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    さんかく窓の外側は夜

A BL show about a bookstore clerk who can see the supernatural much to his annoyance building a relationship with a powerful exorcist who is terrible at socialization.

Airs: Sunday, October 3, 2021

Studio: Zero-G

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Shy bookstore clerk Kosuke Mikado has the ability to see ghosts and spirits, an ability he wishes he didn't have, since what he sees usually terrifies him. Rihito Hiyakawa, an exorcist whose supernatural powers are as strong as his social graces are weak, doesn't seem to fear anything, mortal or otherwise. When this odd couple gets together to solve the bizarre cases that come their way, their work methods may not be entirely safe for work!

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Futaba Igarashi, My Senpai is Annoying
    Watching: School-Live!, Hanako-kun, Vanguard Link Joker, Kingdom
    Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Dead men tell no tales, except to him.

And so it begins with the bookstore clerk Mikado having a chance encounter with the exorcist Hiyakawa, and while Mikado doesn't like the fact that he's able to see spirits, it's a good thing Hiyakawa came along as he can help Mikado not only cope with the problem, but actually make use of it. He does so in trying to solve a case involving a bunch of women disappearing, and for one such woman, he learned that the common connection is Erika Hiura, who for some reason or another is placing curses. And in the end, this was a cold case as while the bodies of the dismembered women were found, the clues stopped there. It was an alright start there, and certainly I can appreciate what went into this show knowing that it's meant for the BL crowd, all while the manga is pretty good. Nevertheless, getting into a show like this is going to be tough, but I'm certainly intrigued by the setup, this coming after watching Mieruko-chan right before this show and while they both involve a person seeing the dead, the similarities end there as that show is horror comedy involving a cast of high school girls. On the other hand, this is a mystery and drama show involving grown men.

As always, trial period rules go into effect, and how the show builds off of a first episode that at least set the foundation well enough will be key.
    Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

Seeing the same thing.

So this Erika Hiura person turns out to be a high school girl who has been spreading the curses, though how remains to be revealed. The big development here is that Mikado is now officially working for Hiyakawa having signed the contract that allows him to see what he sees to make his job as an exorcist easier. So the next case involves going into another apartment bathroom, this time it's one that somebody is actually living in, as the two are asked to investigate a certain fortune teller who is right way more than he realistically should, and it turns out that Mukae also has supernatural abilities. Pretty interesting developments going on here as these cases are certainly something no ordinary detective can figure out and even those with supernatural powers will have a tough time with them.

Comment

Episode 3

What a twist.

Mikado and Hiyakawa meet up with Hiura, the one responsible for cursing all those victims. As it turns out, she didn't directly kill them herself, but she's work in conjunction with somebody else in some way. While that's happening, those two are helping out another curse bearer in Miyuki, whose face and hands are being twisted like whipped cream on a cake. It can be traced to a memento Miyuki's late mother has as her spirit had been haunting Miyuki, and lots of invisible eyeballs appear around the apartment. After all that, it is revealed that Mikado hasn't seen his father since he was the age of 4, so there are lots of questions arisen by all this, and it will be interesting to see how things play out.

Comment

Episode 4

Even he doesn't know himself.

After three episodes focused on different supernatural cases, this one puts the focus on the currently one-sided relationship between Mikado and Hiyakawa. While Mikado's background has gotten plenty of attention, not so much with Hiyakawa, and for a good reason as somehow, not even Hiyakawa knows himself. Mikdao can look into his soul all he wants, but he will find nothing. Something just doesn't smell right about all this.

So with that, the trial period is over, and while it's a rather comprehensive show, I am seeing a good amount of intrigue here, and it's a good thing that this show focuses on so many things to keep it as fresh as it possibly could. So I'll give it two more episodes before making a decision.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine
          Working...
          X