X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2021] Muteking the Dancing Hero Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ムテキング

A sci-fi show set in San Francisco where a hero fights against evil aliens, and defeating them through dance and music.

Airs: Saturday, July 2, 2021

Studio: Tatsunoko, Tezuka

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Funimation

Set in a city modeled after San Francisco in the 1980s, the protagonist has transformed into the hero Muteking and is fighting against evil aliens for some reason. Such a cheerful hero will return in 2020! Sci-fi hero love comedy Muteking the Dancing Hero, singing and dancing with pop music.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Futaba Igarashi, My Senpai is Annoying
    Watching: School-Live!, Hanako-kun, Vanguard Link Joker, Kingdom
    Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Don't sleep on the job.

And so it begins with Muteki moving into Neo San Francisco and he gets totally overwhelmed by the scene there. But after stumbling around, he meets up with DJ, and it turns out that Muteki is going to be living with him seeing that he now lives in his grandmother's house. He ends up transforming into the superhero Muteking after a Jigglypuff or some variation thereof holds a concert and the song has everybody sleeping turning them into aliens. But with Muteking's newly awakened powers, he dances and brings those aliens back. Behind the scenes, some evil organization is on a conquest and little did Muteki know that he would be fighting a corrupt megacorporation. And thus, it begins with the show not being afraid to skimp out on establishing a story in order to showcase the style and vibe it has in store, and it was quite a lot of fun to watch it for the ridiculous nature of this show. The story may be lame, but even so I really enjoyed it for everything else it brings to the table. Not to mention, the music is really catchy, all while seeing San Francisco in anime form (well, not exactly the same City by the Bay, but it's a pretty good representation of the real place) is really nice to see.

So with that, the trial period rules are in effect as usual, and I will need to sort out the shows this season before deciding if I want to keep on dancing or not.
    Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

One company to rule them all.

Now that Muteki and DJ know each other, he is taken around town, all while the CEO of OctinQ plots his next move. And once again, another virtual idol performance is spiked with brainwashing waves that turns its listeners into aliens, which Muteki avoids once again thanks to DJ providing some protection for his ears, and he raps as Muteking once again to save the day. Pretty much, it's more of the same from the first episode as a typical Tatsunoko show follows this kind of formula. Once again, this show is all about the style as there's plenty of that, while it intentionally ignores substance seeing that no story can be feasibly written with this setup. In any case, I'm enjoying the style and music, but I just hope that it doesn't get too stale with the show's repetitive nature that's going on.

Comment

Episode 3

On a roll.

And now, Muteki's family comes into focus a bit as he's looking for his sister, and from the look of things his father is the CEO of OctinQ while he's also the former mayor of Neo SF. In the meantime, it's another episode just like the last one where this time, it's a sushi buffet where ordinary people become goopy aliens, and Muteki got way more than he bargained for with a roller coaster ride to the table with live virtual entertainment, which is bad news once again, and Muteki nearly falls for it before turning into Muteking again and making things right. Just like that, all is well with the crazy roller coaster sushi restaurant becoming ordinary food stalls. While the show continues to be stupid and repetitive, the music continues to be great that makes for some decent entertainment in an otherwise trashy show.

Comment

Episode 4

Chills with ills.

Once again, it's more of the same with Muteki visiting the diner again, then OctinQ draws in unsuspecting guys with something too good to be true, and then they turn into goo with Aurora's musical performance with Muteki nearly falling victim as well before DJ arrives in the nick of time. This time, it's a yoga class and spa at Crissy Field, and while it sounds all well and good, not when OctinQ is involved. The only major development here is that DJ is falling for Aida, and now Muteki is taking Aida out to the amusement park. In any case, this episode is carbon copy of the previous episodes, and all I'm asking for is that it breaks off with this formula and actually have some sort of story going on.

So with that, the trial period is up, and as heavily flawed as this show is, the music and art style are at least things I really like about this show even if it's not making any concerted effort to build something worthwhile. In any case, I have a decision on my hands.

Comment

Episode 5

Out of the park.

And now, things have been shaken up as Muteki doesn't return to the diner for another meal and instead brings Aida with him for a date at Pier 39, which in this show is an amusement park, one that's on the verge of closing due to OctinQ's pending buyout of the place. And while Muteking is called into action again when Aurora appears and turns the listeners into goo again, this time his dance is interrupted and the park disappears rather than restoring everything to normal. Quite a huge turn of events that was now OctinQ CEO that's obviously Muteki's father is moving onto the next stage of his plan. As it turns out, Aurora's music is coming out of an underground organ that the CEO plays, and Aida has some connection to it. Nevertheless, I had a feeling things were going to change up in this episode, and that it did.

So with that, I will give it the extended trial period as I knew that something was going to change in this episode, and that it did. That doesn't necessarily make this show any better, but at least it's doing something different.

Comment

Episode 6

A new hero emerges?

After last week's game changer, Muteki is at a loss trying to figure out what to do next after failing to save those people who were liquified by Aurora's song. Muteki will need to come up with a new song, but his motivation has tanked, and he decides to go at it alone while DJ appoints a new hero, Suteking. And so, Aurora strikes again, and Muteking tries to fight her, but almost bites the dust there as the only thing that saved him was DJ's last-minute rescue. And then comes another big reveal at the end that Aida is Aurora. Things sure have taken a turn as now Muteking will be no more with the way things are going.

Comment

Episode 7

Dancing to a different beat.

This was the episode that I was waiting for, one that takes place at Oracle Park, or as it's called in this show UFO Park, home of the Neo San Francisco Aliens. Muteki has been searching for the one known as MC Bay Bee, and it turns out that he is the former slugger Buster Bowdy, a reference to the recently-retired Buster Posey, who hit the game-winning grand slam into McCovey Cove to beat the New York Yankees, or rather the LY Yetis here, to win the World Series. But not long afterwards, Buster would retire due to a shoulder injury, and instead found a new career in music. And then he got inflicted with a curse by OctinQ, and now he's the transgender woman Vivi that runs the arcade. While that's going on, Muteking's popularity has been plummeting, all while Owen continues to turn people into black ooze. But Muteki makes a comeback there as he comes up with a new song that saves everybody who had become a work slave instead of somebody living carefree, and all is well again. This is certainly one of the better episodes in this show as a lot gets revealed, all while the show is changing things up and really getting serious about storytelling, something that was totally lacking early on.

Comment

Episode 8

Singing with the enemy.

Now that Muteking is the king of dance in San Francisco, he can't exactly live quietly anymore. As such he's switching places with Suteking when some fangirls chase after him. And then Muteking is going out with Aida again not realizing that she's the voice of Aurora, whose style of music has been the cause of trouble around the city. Interesting to see something different here as Muteking is going through an identity crisis of sorts. But in any case, chaos is just around on the horizon.

Comment

Episode 9

Escape to Alcatraz.

Owen has made quite a mess inside the City by the Bay, and Muteki is in quite a bad situation. Not only is the place looking bleak, but DJ is kidnapped and now every TV he comes across, Aurora is there to put on a performance he doesn't want to listen to. And he heads back to the diner not realizing that Aida is the voice of Aurora, and he finds that place in ruins, but the guy wearing the 51ers jacket is there to help him get to the OctinQ headquarters at Alcatraz, where Naomi and his father are being held captive. While Naomi hates mice, luckily her father has become friends with it, and that proved to be quite helpful for Muteki. He makes it to the top, but now he will have to face DJ, whose curse has taken over his body now that Owen forced him to chug down that potion. Things are looking pretty bleak in so many different ways.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                    Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                    Widgets Magazine
                    Working...
                    X