X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2021] Selection Project Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    セレクション・プロジェクト

An idol show about a girl who is hoping to become an idol after she was visited in the hospital by a legendary idol, but she must battle it out in an intense competition in order to realize that dream.

Airs: Friday, October 1, 2021

Studio: Doga Kobo

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Funimation

Held every summer, the national show "Selection Project" is the biggest gateway for girls who strive to be idols, and the place where the legendary idol Akari Amazawa was born. Suzune Miyama is also one who has longed for such a dream stage. Having been sick since childhood, she listened to the song of the light many times in her bed in the hospital room. Akari's singing voice gave her a lot of smiles and courage, inspiring Suzune to follow in her footsteps.

In her last summer of junior high school, Suzune decides to challenge the 7th annual Selection Project to make her dream come true. The girls who challenge Selection all have strong feelings that are second to none, accumulated efforts, and extraordinary charm. Only nine stars are selected from among the thousands of candidates. Now, the hot and harsh "Audition Battle" of the
    girls begins to make their dreams come true.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Futaba Igarashi, My Senpai is Annoying
    Watching: School-Live!, Hanako-kun, Vanguard Link Joker, Kingdom
    Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Touched by an angel.

So it begins with Suzune, having been inspired to pursue an idol career after being visited in the hospital by the legendary Akari who was tragically killed in an accident, heading to the North Kanto block finals competition where she is one of four finalists chosen to represent the North Kanto region for the new idol group that consists of nine idols from nine regions all across Japan. Suzune was brilliant with her performance, but she was up against one of the best aspiring singers in Seira, and had it not been for that spill towards the end of the performance she would have probably won as she narrowly was defeated by the California-born prodigy. It was a tough break for Suzune, but with the key art showing that she's part of the group that it looks like something will happen with Seira that causes her to drop out of the group, and it remains to be seen how it happens. That ending really has my attention there as I'm curious to know what's going on with Seira as either she voluntarily gives up her position having admitted that Suzune sings better than she does, or something happens that makes her unable to take part with this group opening the door for Suzune to replace her. In any case, while there are a ton of idol shows, having Doga Kobo and Kadokawa involved is an indication that this show will be better than the conventional idol show, and the first episode at least has my interest.

With that, the trial period rules are in effect and I'll be watching some more of this before making my selection.
    Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

The world comes first.

It was pretty obvious that something was going to happen with Seira that leads her to withdrawing from the Selection Project, and I knew all along it would be for something that has her leaving Japan for it. As it turns out, knowing full well that Suzune is the better singer than she is that Seira decides to study abroad instead, and thus as the runner-up Suzune is elevated to take her place as the North Kanto representative. So Seira comes out to see Suzune at school as the two become great friends, and Seira encourages Suzune to keep on singing, and then she made the decision to study abroad as she wants to become the top idol in her own way. And thus, Suzune's life begins as her road to idoldom is now a reality show. Pretty nice to see those two getting along so well and being good sports about the competition seeing that Suzune earned the right to be there, and she needs it more than Seira does. So with that, it's onto the reality part as Suzune is now one of nine girls from different regions in Japan living and training together under one roof, and as always it's going to be very difficult.

Comment

Episode 3

Separate, but together.

And so, the reality show begins with the first round being that the nine girls are divided into three units based on what they each want to do. Four girls ends up on the dancing team, three chose to form a band, and Suzune ends up singing with Rena. The objective is to get enough yells to surpass the minimum threshold. And somehow the singing team ends up with a ton of yells well before they go on stage as it turns out that Rena is the younger sister of the late Akari, and it's no wonder why she's being so cold as anybody who's reeling from losing their sister that way would feel like that. And while these two are singing together, at the end of the day they are still rivals. But nevertheless that was an amazing performance that the idol duo SuzuRena put on there going to show that they have a lot of talent. While Suzune and Rena have advanced to the next round, the other two groups have their work cut out seeing that there's a curse that they are up against seeing never in the history of the show has everybody passed the first round. I get the feeling that these nine will be the first seeing that they are all hard-working, and they have Suzune's bubbly attitude to inspire them.

Comment

Episode 4

Don't just do the dance.

Now that Suzu Rena has passed the first round, it's now onto the other two units to perform and beat the curse. It's the dance team's turn as the girls there are struggling, none more so than Nagisa as she ends up practicing by herself on the roof. But it turns out that her actions are what lead to the girls coming up with their idea of what to do for their performance, as well as coming up with their fizzy group name of Splash Soda. That was an excellent dancing performance they put on display there. Now, they just need 200 more yells as these girls definitely deserve to move on after that great performance, but they will have to sweat it out for two more days. With that, it's onto the band team to perform and get their 100K yells.

And on that note, the trial period is over, and after a great episode last week that I had already made my mind up about this show, and it passes my test to make it on the watchlist.

Comment

Episode 5

Curse reversed.

To get the last 200 yells required to advance, Nagisa came up with a crazy plan, and that scare did the trick. With two units through, it's now onto the band team that they call themselves the GapsCaps. While the band is slowly learning to play as a band, there's a huge argument between Shiori and Uta as while Uta wants to perform now and give the audience time to give out their yells, Shiori wants to make sure they can give the best performance they can. And that leads to some tension on the second-to-last day. But then Mako comes up with a plan to pray at the shrine on the morning of the performance, and just like that they are on the same page again. And they totally rocked their performance there to move on. That was some great music and while the drama was overdone, the end result was very nice. With that, onto the second round with all nine idols having made it through for the first time in the history of the Selection Project, and it will be interesting to see what comes next.

Comment

Episode 6

She has a heart condition.

It's onto the second round, and it's for the idols to showcase themselves in swimsuits, which is bad news for Suzune as by showing off her figure, she will also be showing off her surgical scar. She privately tells Rena about it, and then the rest of her fellow competitors while the camera is offline. Lots of drama here as Suzune came to this competition to sing, but now she's being forced to do it wearing a skimpy outfit that would reveal a secret she wants to keep hidden. It will be interesting to see what she comes up with as with the way things are going, she's as good as gone unless she can think of something fast.

Comment

Episode 7

Getting a second chance at life.

Pretty much, this takes a page out of Idoly Pride in that Suzune got a heart transplant, and the donor is likely Akari, whose tragic death at least gave Suzune a chance at life that she's determined to make the most of. Suzune is not exactly sure what to do, but after talking it out with her buddies, as well as getting a fan letter from another girl with a life-threatening illness whose name is also Suzune, she drums up the courage needed to perform. And she puts on a swimsuit that her friends chose for her that has enough coverage to conceal the surgical scar. So with that, they perform and they all pass to the third and final round, which is to put on a concert with only seven idols on stage. Let's not forget that this is a reality show, and they end with contestants being voted out by the others. That's what is happening here as the idols will need to decide which two idols are sent packing, and it will be interesting to see how this all unfolds.

Comment

Episode 8

Heart don't fail her now.

As it was clearly obvious already, Suzune's heart donor is indeed Akari. That fact was confirmed when Suzune wrote a letter to the donor's family, and it ended up with Akari's sister. And tension is boiling over as those two were shocked by the truth as in these five days the girls need to decide which two will not be part of the concert. It seems to me that the two who are going to be voted out are Suzune and Rena seeing that the others will realize that they will have a records deal lined up should they not clear the Selection Project. Not to mention, their mental conditions are not in the best of shape to step onto the stage. Nevertheless, there's quite a lot of tension seeing that the girls need to come to a decision or else everybody loses.

Comment

Episode 9

It's time to vote.

It has been quite the journey for the girls as each of the rounds have presented different challenges with the first being to get along with others from different regions of Japan, the second about Suzune trying to deal with the truth about her heart transplant surgery, and now the idols need to figure out which two to boot from the show. Rena definitely has her motivation all over the place as she's still reeling from the truth that her late sister's heart was given to Suzune as the idols are having individual interviews. After a lot of talking and stuff, it's time to vote as Rena finally had the courage to speak her mind in that interview, ending with what amounts to an apology. The girls seem to not want to perform without everybody, so it's probable that everybody puts in blank ballots and somehow find a way to all perform whether it be through a twist or they go at it alone. Nevertheless, something big is going to go down next time with everybody submitting their votes.

Comment

Episode 10

Singing to the nines.

As expected, it's a 9-way tie for the vote, and with the decision being completely deadlocked, that means everybody is DQ'd and this year's Selection Project competition ends without a winner. Even though their time on the show is over and nobody has a record deal, the girls are determined to keep on singing. As such, they all head down to Suzune's hometown in Omiya to put on a show with a new song that's written and organized by them under their newly-formed idol unit called 9-tie. While the other girls are on-board, it took awhile for Rena to commit. It was obvious that the girls were going to perform with all nine of them, but it's happening with an independently organized show rather than something hosted by the Selection Project. So even though the show has wrapped up, there's still plenty of drama left as there's the performance, the future prospect of the girls seeing that they are just way too good to not be hooked up with a record label, and the fallout from the show producer's decision to end the season the way they did.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine
                      Working...
                      X