X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2021] The Detective is Already Dead Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    探偵はもう、死んでいる。

A mystery show about a detective who is solving a huge case with a girl who was killed a year ago. However, she somehow has resurfaced and things are about to get chaotic again.

Airs: Sunday, July 4, 2021

Studio: Engi

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Funimation

Kimizuka Kimihiko is a crisis-magnet. From getting caught up in a crime scene to accidentally witnessing a drug deal, trouble seems to find him around every corner. So it is no surprise when his rather mundane flight suddenly enters a state of emergency with a dire need of a detective onboard. Unfortunately, his attempt at avoiding trouble is foiled by a beautiful girl with silver hair who goes by the codename Siesta. Declaring herself a detective, she unceremoniously drags Kimizuka into the case as her assistant.

That incident spelled the beginning of an adventure around the globe that went beyond his wildest imagination. Putting their lives on the line, the two took down criminal organizations, prevented disasters, and saved thousands. But the curtain closed to their epic journey with Siesta's untimely death three years later.

Resolving to live an ordinary high school life this time, Kimizuka spends a year maintaining a low profile. However, as fate would have it, a girl with an uncanny resemblance to Siesta comes crashing into his life, threatening to throw his peaceful days into disarray.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: The Ohio State University Buckeyes
    Watching: Tylor, Astra Lost in Space, School-Live!, Vanguard
    Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

A detective career down the toilet.

To start things off is an hour-long episode with the fated meeting between Kimi and the detective whose codenamed Siesta, and Siesta is tasked with stopping a would-be hijacker as Bat would rather play the detective game than to carry out the hijacking outright. As it turns out that Bat is an android. But Siesta came prepared with a shotgun that hat her blood on it that prevents anybody who was shot with it from attacking her. Kimi is not exactly pleased with his sidekick role, but Siesta is far from done with him as she just so happens to find out where he lives and break into his home. And then there's another case they solved together that is a parody of Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun as it involves a curse that happens in the girls restroom, and the perpetrator just so happens to be somebody in a rabbit costume who used drugs on the victims. Just when it looked like they were developing some nice chemistry, all of the sudden Siesta dies. While not the best of episodes, it does set the stage nicely for a big mystery to go down as with the show's title, Siesta is dead. I'm curious to see what direction this show goes now that a sudden bombshell like that was dropped off.

As usual, the trial period rules are in effect.
    Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

Heart of a detective.

So what's a detective's sidekick to do when his partner is dead? Nagisa is seeking to solve the mystery of her transplanted heart, and she sees Kimi has a master detective who has solved the cases even though he admits that he's not that great of a detective despite the publicity saying otherwise. As it turns out, Nagisa has Siesta's heart with the proof coming when the two visit Bat in prison and Bat's attacks stop short. Pretty convenient setup this is, but I'm hoping to see something big built off of this.

Comment

Episode 3

The idol's parents are already dead.

Here comes Yui, an idol who hails from a rich family, but her parents are dead and she's the head of the household. A thief has written a letter saying that he's going to infiltrate the house and steal a prized family heirloom during her next concert, so she asks Kimi and Nagisa to keep it safe. But then Kimi doesn't exactly get focused for the job come the rehearsal the day before acting like one of those crazy idol fans. And this episode features two members of Hololive in Matsuri Natsuiro and Fubuki Shirakami during that segment with the video board as they are well-known virtual Youtubers. Nevertheless, there's a lot of trouble going on, and it remains to be seen how Kimi is going to deal with it.

Comment

Episode 4

An eye for an idol.

And the day of the concert comes, but it turns out this isn't a simple robbery. Nope, the culprit is after the detective's life, and the sapphire eye that Yui is wearing as she's blind in the left eye. He set out a trap to kill Kimi and Nagisa by manipulating Yui into thinking he's after her life. It's a good thing Kimi is no ordinary detective or else he would have fallen for it hook, line, and sinker. He managed to get Yui out of the way just before the crossbow arrow hit her square in the eye. So with that case solved, the next girl shows up, and that's Siesta's daughter Char, who is none too pleased that she died while working with Kimi.

So with that, the trial period for this show is over and I'll have a decision on my hands. While this show has strong source materials, some of the stuff has been great while other parts have been cringeworthy. But it will be based on whether or not I prefer it over Duke of Death and His Maid as I am only going to stick with one of those two Sunday shows.

Comment

Episode 5

Something doesn't smell right.

I was expecting an episode focused on Char, but instead it's an episode going back into the past when Siesta was still alive. There, Kimi meets up with Char, who Kimi could tell is a fake, and that Char is actually the werewolf known as Cerberus. And that was some great thinking by Siesta to realize that wolves have a heightened sense of smell and to use that against him. Then there's Hel, who has a biological weapon in possession. Well, this show continues to be disappointing as I'm not getting the point of what all this is all about, at least at the moment. I'm giving it one more episode before deciding to keep it or not.

Comment

Episode 6

And all Hel broke loose.

Siesta found herself a mecha to fight back against Hel and the creature she made. For a moment, I thought this was the moment when Siesta died, but that stabbing was Hel stabbing herself due to Siesta's special power. Then there's the hyperactive loli Alicia who conveniently appears in the alley and has amnesia, all while the Jack the Ripper case continues. Another underwhelming episode once again as I'm quickly losing interest in this show. I realize that the show doesn't really hit its stride until later, but I have no reason to believe that will happen anytime soon, if at all during this series, with the way things are going.

So with that, the extended trial period is over for this show and right now I'm leaning towards the other Sunday show this season seeing how the adaptation has dropped off after a strong start. I'll need to recollect myself before making that decision final.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine
              Working...
              X