Widgets Magazine

Currently Watching (Spring 2021 Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post-Simulcast Report: June 16-30

And now, my final post-simlucast report of the season. While the previous 15 days didn't have much to write about, this one I finished quite a lot of shows, although a good number of them are simulcasts.

Completed

*SSSS.Dynazenon: C+

*Those Snow White Notes: B+

*Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song: A

Saga of Tanya the Evil: Operation Desert Pasta (special): B-
    This is a pretty humorous take on one of the wars as it's all about having great food without the proper resources to cook them. While adhering to the spirit of the show, it does quite a lot of amusing stuff to drive home the point about how wars affect everything. It's a nice way to put a humorous spin on this show.

*The Slime Diaries: B

*Full Dive: C-

*Super Cub: B

*Fairy Ranmaru: C

*Zombie Land Saga Revenge: B+

*Backflip!!: B-

*Hetalia: World Stars: C

*I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level: C+

*Pretty Boy Detective Club: B-

*Kuroko's Basketball Season 2 (39-50): A-

*Megalo Box 2: Nomad: A

*Moriarty the Patriot: A-

*Fruits Basket: The Final Season: A+

*Odd Taxi: B+

Zoids Wild (43-50): D
    Even for a kids show, this is pretty bad as it features a terrible main cast, lame villains, repetitive storytelling, and a predictable plot. At least other kids shows manage to do a good job in changing things up with the story, but not so much with this show. Just about the only thing good about this show are the Zoid battles and the supporting characters as they do a solid job in making this show watchable in spite of having such an unlikable lead character and totally dry and lazily created villains.

*Wonder Egg Priority: B

Natsume Yujincho (4-13): B+
    This show is all about making friends with spirits, and for that objective this show does it quite well. The show does a great job with character development for the characters of the week, all while slowly developing the MC as well. The show features great variety, all while doing a great job with storytelling. That said, things don't exactly hit it off with this season as the animation quality looks mediocre and some episodes just miss their mark, all while the MC's development comes along slowly. But in all, it has been satisfying to watch a show that is supposed to get better with later seasons.

*Mini Dragon: C+

*Godzilla Singular Point: C+

Cardfight!! Vanguard: Asia Circuit (21-39): C
    After a solid first season that took awhile to get going, this season hits things right off the bat with an intriguing concept. While the season hits the ground running, the overall content is weaker than the first season, especially towards the end of the season when the big bad of this season doesn't even get introduced until about 2/3 into the season, all while the final part felt really rushed. Not to mention the season features some interesting characters that could have been developed more than they were. Aside from that, it's pretty much an extension of the first season.

Future Card Buddyfight Ace (41-43): C-
    To end the Buddyfight anime is the next generation of Buddyfighters featuring the son of the MC, and this season was just full of irritating characters (with Da-Dan singlehandedly sabotaging this season with his annoying antics), convenient story writing, and battles that were lacking in drama compared to previous seasons. The season at least started off well, all while the new buddy monsters are a nice group this time around. In all, the show had a nice concept, but with questionable storytelling decisions and a poorly-constructed cast of characters as it's no wonder why Bushiroad pulled the plug on this game after this season.

Ongoing

[LGH] Legend of the Galactic Heroes (22-24)
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: The Ohio State University Buckeyes
    Watching: Tylor, Astra Lost in Space, School-Live!, Vanguard
    Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Simulcast Rankings: June 2021

Now that the season is in the books, it's time for me to do my usual simulcast rankings leaderboard and changes from the first one.

Home Run
      Fruits Bakset: The Final Season
      To Your Eternity
      Vivy: Flourite Eye's Song
      Megalo Box 2: Nomad
      Tokyo Revengers (Promoted)
      Moriarty the Patriot

Base Hit
      Odd Taxi (Promoted)
      Zombie Land Saga Revenge
      Shadows House
      Those Snow White Notes
      Super Cub
      The Slime Diaries
      My Hero Academia Season 5 (Demoted)

Walk
      So I'm a Spider, So What?
      Backflip!!
      Pretty Boy Detective Club
      How Not to Summon a Demon Lord Omega
      Mini Dragon
      I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level
      SSSS.Dynazenon
      Godzilla Singular Point

Flyout
      Joran: The Princess of Snow and Blood
      Fairy Ranmaru
      Hetalia: World Stars (Demoted)
      Full Dive

Strikeout
      Cardfight!! Vanguard OverDress
      Battle Athletes Victory ReStart (for the worst show of the season, which I dropped)

Rising

Odd Taxi
      This show didn't get off to the best of starts, and from the messy animation to the dull humor and lifeless story off the bat, this looked like a surefire drop. But the show gradually gets better, and then by the time it hits the stretch run, it improves greatly to be one of the biggest surprises ever in anime. The ending is simply perfect and all the building is nicely done once the show settles into a groove.

Tokyo Revengers
      While the show has strong source material, the show really shines with the episodes leading up to the big moment to end the first half, which is one of the best episodes of the season. Character building was really on display with these episodes. Not to mention going to show that hindsight is 50/50 as the saying goes (yeah, I know it's actually 20/20, but here just when the MC thinks he has things figured out, he doesn't).

Zombie Land Saga Revenge
      The first season kind of fooled around with all the crazy antics and not really knowing what it was doing until the leadup to the ending. This season has a much different approach that works wonders for this show. The show begins with a concert that goes horribly wrong, then the show really takes the time to develop the characters by giving the girls their own episode. And then the endgame episodes are where this season really shines leading up to an epic finish.

Falling

My Hero Academia Season 5
      While this show has been great, this season, not so much. Granted, it adapts what is arguably the weakest part of the manga so far, and while Bones continues to do a fine job and the show continues to be enjoyable, it's lacking in any meaningful impact and it's just there to bide its time until the next season when big things are expected to go down. The show continues to be well-animated and all, but it's lacking that thing that makes this show so special.

Full Dive
      This show was just filled with all sorts of cringeworthy actions by the characters that makes it hard to watch. At the very least, this show is capable of producing some really good episodes when it needs it, but the show really collapses under the weight of all the unlikable characters and lack of common sense.

Cardfight!! Vanguard OverDress
      While I didn't have high expectations for a show seeing that anime shows that market a card game aren't exactly done with producing a masterpiece in mind, this show at least had a very good start with its great character designs, focus on life around the game rather than playing the game as that usually takes up the bulk of the airtime for shows card game shows, and the interesting backstories. But that soon goes out the window as one of the characters is so annoying to put up with, all while the show just becomes random and the lack of visuals with the card games makes it harder to follow with all the new mechanics introduced with this series. Hopefully this show can clean up its act a little when the second half begins in the fall.
      MyAnimeList | Avatar: The Ohio State University Buckeyes
      Watching: Tylor, Astra Lost in Space, School-Live!, Vanguard
      Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Thoughts on My Anime Experience, Spring 2021

If I had to sum up my Spring 2021 anime experience in one word it would be: Erratic.

Real life, other things going on, blah, blah, blah, but I didn't follow as many shows as usual. Some, I really, REALLY want to see, and plan to. Huge pile, always growing, but, as will be seen, I do hit it sometimes.

So, I finally caught all 3 seasons of Working!! which I enjoyed a good bit, even though it played a role in derailing my watching schedule. How Not to Summon a Demon Lord Omega is one of those shows I knew I was going to watch and enjoy, though it would be so much better if there was an actual payoff to the constant tease. There are no anime characters who need to get laid as badly as Diablo does, with only perhaps a few other matching that need.

So I'm a Spider, So What? provided more Aoi Yuki greatness, but the CGI that was limited in the first half went over to character fight scenes towards the end with a result from the outsourced CGI that can only be described as a disaster. It was so bad that the finale was delayed a week to fix up the CGI for broadcast level. The story waned whenever the focus was off our favorite Spider Girl, which was much more the case in the 2nd half, but they pulled of a difficult feat in weaving the storylines here, not perfectly, but better than most thought possible. I want more!

The big success of the season for me was 86, completely investing me in this story of racism, betrayal and dehumanization in war time. Just a solid homerun. I do not want more; I NEED more! And yes, Mr. Clifford Hanger ended the season in spectacular fashion.

I watched Joran until I missed it and couldn't bring myself back. Yet. "Yet" might very well mean never. The shark-jumping was just getting too much. Also falling on the wayside: I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level, The Slime Diaries, and Combatants Will Be Launched! Nothing at all against the Slime shows, especially Diaries, but I ended up missing episodes and they feel like shows I can pick up any time, especially Diaries. I've been slowly catching up on Combatants, but it's hard to believe this is from the same guy who did Konosuba. Still, I'll likely finish it. The Saint's Magical Power is Omnipotent took only one episode to confirm that it wasn't an exception to my severe allergy to shoujo and bishoujo pretty boys.

Finally the last episode of of Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki came out. Fun times, harem unlocked! Very special for me: TM!RO on Cartoon Network brought me back to anime while I was killing time waiting for my wife to get off work. The bad part is that it reminds me how long ago that was, LOL.

My Hero Academia: We know what we're getting into and it was good as always, though with foreknowledge of the Excrement about to hit the fan, it DOES make one antsy waiting for the big events to come (and the tragic parts, too).

On my "Check These Out Someday" List: Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song, Tokyo Revengers and Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro! Someday, perhaps.

Surprisingly, I made it all the way through Full Dive, which really was uneven, but still hit a lot of buttons for me (one reason my viewing was down? Blizzard released WOW: The Burning Crusade Classic). So, the gamer in me could relate. Speaking of gaming, new puppies arrived in the household, so rocking puppies while re-watching No Game, No Life on Netflix became a thing.

Last and not least, proving that I do indeed hit my Check These Out Someday list, I watched Hyouka from 2012. I think my hesitancy for watching KyoAni shows is that I know the likelihood of watching a masterpiece is high, but there's that feeling of knowing that there will be no more product coming (this is not about the fire), it's about how most of their shows are one-shots that leave me thirsting for more of the story. Heh, just tell me who needs to "disappear" for more Haruhi to happen, LOL. Hyouka did not disappoint. It was another in the long line of KyoAni masterpieces. Once again, I NEED more Oreki and Chi-chan, and know that I'm not going to get it. Still, I'd love to see them, Satoshi and Mayaka as seniors or at University.

So, a fun enough season, with my watching down for now, especially with vacay incoming quite soon.
        Last edited by General Hentai; 07-20-2021, 01:15 AM.
        My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
        1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
        2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
        3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine
        Working...
        X