Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode 11

The shady truth about Shadows.

And now, the big reveal about the servants hired into becoming servants as these are all human kids who were kidnapped from their village by the family, and then they get brainwashed by that drugged coffee to submit them to absolute obedience, and then their memories get wiped. That's just cruel for the Shadows to do that, but Kate is leading the resistance as she's determined to put a stop to this. She got the other pairs who passed the debut to join her cause, but there's just one problem in that Emilico has disappeared. It turns out that Edward has captured her. I knew that something big was about to happen, and boy was this shocking.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: The Ohio State University Buckeyes
    Watching: Tylor, Astra Lost in Space, School-Live!, Vanguard
    Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 12

Can't hide in the shadows for long.

Edward is getting quite aggressive in making sure that Kate doesn't pull off her rebellion and rescue Emilico. First, he has Barbara and Barbie keep a close watch on the children as thanks to Patrick and Ricky, they were able to let Kate and company slip through their inspection. And then Kate puts on a suit that allows her to slip through the cracks, though Edward saw it all coming. Kate is in quite a tight spot now, though that was to be expected after overhearing that he's being extra vigilant. One more episode left as Kate has reached Emilico, but Edward was waiting for her all this time. It will be interesting to see how things end.
      Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 13 (Finale)

Soot gives her wings.

While Edward has Kate tied up, her mastery of controlling soot comes in handy as she broke free without using her hands. But the two manage to make a daring escape by taking a leap of faith from the top of the castle tower. With Kate spreading her newly-discovered wings and John giving them a push, the two make it back to the children's wing. But it turns out that Edward can also fly, and she follows them. However, that ended up backfiring badly for him as he trespasses into the children's wing where he's not supposed to be, and after saying all of those nasty things, he can't lie his way out of this mess. While Edward has gotten in the master's doghouse, he got off with just a slap in the wrist as whatever scheme the head of the family has is only just beginning. Pretty obvious that it was going to finish with an open-ended ending seeing that the manga is still going on and this was adapted so that the door is left open for a second season, but if not then there's a degree of closure. Thus, it made sense to end it this way seeing that this anime adaptation was pretty much made to draw attention to the manga, which is amazing and I'm hoping to see it get licensed.

Overall, this is simply a fun and thrilling mystery drama with a creative concept and interesting characters. The animation is great, the soundtrack is really nice, and above all this adaptation perfectly captures the atmosphere. That said, this show is dragged down by slow pacing and questionable deviations from the manga. The debut segment dragged out longer than it really needed to, all while the show takes awhile to establish itself. In all, it's an entertaining and worthwhile show as the atmosphere and the creative concept are what make this show go.

MAL Rating:

Comment

Re: Episode 13 (Finale)

This has to be one of the better open-ended endings I have seen in a while. Despite all their adventures, the shadows and dolls are essentially back to square one. They are still powerless children, and the grandfather wing types still rule under the iron fist of Lord Grandfather. So the big questions is where do they go from here?

Even without the tea, the dolls are still happily serving their masters. Will they eventually reach some accommodation not forced by the tea?
          Edward and his henchmen got off rather lightly. Does Lord Grandfather actually know what is going on and has bigger plans and is just using Edward?
          Who was the little helper? My guess is that it was Shirley, and that her and Rum will come back into play at some point.

It is nice to see the young shadows getting along now and their cooperation in rescuing Emilico was terrific.

I really hope for further seasons as I find this show to be very enjoyable. I'll plow through the manga if I have to, but I would prefer to see the anime continue.
          Avatar: Asakusa Midori from Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!

Comment

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine
          Working...
          X