Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode 22

Live from the battlefield.

Even in a situation like this, Kumoko still finds a way to lighten the mood by becoming a news reporter in the middle of the battlefield. That part was pretty hilarious. But then Ariel arrives and while Kumoko found a way to beat tough monsters before, Ariel is in a league of her own. It's one things that she hits hard with her attacks. But she can regenerate, which is bad news for somebody that relies on chipping away to win. And there, she meets young Julius. Nevertheless, things aren't looking good for Kumoko as she was hit by some pretty strong abyss magic there. And then in the present, Shun and Oka-sensei are about to settle the score with Hugo. Things have really intensified as in both the past and the present, a big war is being fought.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: The Ohio State University Buckeyes
    Watching: Tylor, Astra Lost in Space, School-Live!, Vanguard
    Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 23

All elves must die!

Shun's battle with Hugo didn't last long as Sophia comes in ans shows that she's in a completely different league. The only good thing about this is that a reincarnations are spared from the demon's rampage, but that doesn't include Oka-sensei as she's an elf, and the master's orders are to exterminate the elves. They are quite a huge threat to the world, and I kind of see why when they unleash their army or battle droids. One more episode left to go.
      Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
        Episode 23

All elves must die!

Shun's battle with Hugo didn't last long as Sophia comes in ans shows that she's in a completely different league. The only good thing about this is that a reincarnations are spared from the demon's rampage, but that doesn't include Oka-sensei as she's an elf, and the master's orders are to exterminate the elves. They are quite a huge threat to the world, and I kind of see why when they unleash their army or battle droids. One more episode left to go.
        Re: Episode 23

Spider? What spider? No spider here....or is there?

Also, per Led Zepplin, "Communication breakdown".

Sheesh, if these people would only talk to each other. But then this series could've ended in about 16 episodes? Okay, bad communications are fine!

Well, actually: No.

It's a pet peeve of mine and it weakens what has been a very good series, aside from the out-of-control bad CGI, especially in ep. 22. But, the "Gosh, you've already made up your mind and have been duped so there's no use talking" is just the kind of BS I hate, and it pops up here.

So, the elves are scheming and the demons are in opposition to that scheming. We end up seeing how OPed both Sophia and Wrath, aka Kyouya, Shun's once upon a time best friend, aside from the now gender bent Katia.

But the elves HAVE been hiding secrets, such as an army of mechs and a very sci-fi like command center.

So, what the hell is going on here?

Well, me, waiting with anticipation for next week's finale to find out what the hell is going on here, which hopefully includes another season.

My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
        1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
        2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
        3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 24 (Finale)

Half-human, half-spider, all-powerful.

So it ends with Kumoko becoming human as the story of the past finishes with Kumoko becoming a half-human, half-spider beast, and eventually ending up taking a human form in the present. Kumoko has come quite a long way, and now she command an army with her various personas inhabiting them. As for why Sophia wants the elves to die, that's pretty easy to see as they tried to kill her 15 years ago. An android clone of Potimas nearly killed little Sophia until Kumoko, and then Ariel, arrived to scrap that hunk of junk. It's a great stopping point as far as the past goes, though it didn't come to that with the present timeline as the war is still going on. In any case, that puts a nice wrap on Kumoko's meteoric rise.

Overall, this show has its fair share of bumps and bruises as the source material made it very difficult to adapt having to tell two stories concurrently that are related, but happen 15 years apart. And then there's the questionable usage of CG that just looks rough. But in the grand scheme of things, the show does a solid job with storytelling after a rough start doing it well with the past timeline, and not so much with the present, with the story writing for the present improving over time. The action is nice and intense in spite of the CG usage, all while Kumoko's antics are always amusing. So in the end, it's a show with strong source material that was going to be difficult to adapt, but the production team does an admirable job in turning this into a fun show in spite of all the flaws to be found.

MAL Rating:

Comment

Re: Episode 24 (Finale)

One week of delay.

So, as it turns out they outsourced the CGI work. And it was a disaster. So much so they had to rework it themselves. Let's hope they don't make that mistake for season 2.

There are shows you can tell are crap. There are shows you tell have issues. There are shows you can see as absolute masterpieces. And then there are those diamonds in the rough, shows that for a variety of reasons didn't quite make it to the top, but have enormous potential. Spider isn't quite that type of show, as it's better than that, but doesn't reach its full potential. This was a tremendous undertaking: Tell two different storylines, one about the little spider that could, and the other about young people reincarnated into this world coming together, many of them for the first time in 15 years. Oh, and then hide that the two stories are taking place at different times, with Kumoko's story starting 15 years before the other story.

So, we find out that Kumoko survived Ariel's Abyss magic by being reborn in one of many eggs she had laid for this possibility. And with that, she evolves into an Archne, a larger spider than she was before, which has all of the spider aspects of before, but also a human torso, a female human torso who looks just like Wakaba. She goes to save Sophia, but to survive, Sophia turns the dying butler into a vampire servant, but Potimas is there to eliminate her (it seems that Oka-sensei wanted to "save" Sophia, but Potimas decides that Sophia's too dangerous, and instructs his men to lie to his "daughter" about it). Kumoko tries to save her, but Potimas has powerful negation magic and also Kumoko's not used to her new body, which is much larger than any she's had before. But just in the nick of time, Ariel arrives! And kicks Potimas's android ass. who we then see rez from one of countless pods.

Ariel doesn't know that Kumoko hasn't laid any more eggs, and is therefore vulnerable to the abyss magic, and suggests a truce. Plus Ariel's personality has merged with Kumoko's former Body Brain, and really doesn't feel like killing Kumoko anymore, and decides that they're all going to be the heroes who save the world from disaster by defeating tha main villain, the actual Potimas, with the heroes being: Ariel, Kumoko, Sophia and Merazophis, Sophia's butler.

So, we have firmly established that the elves, especially Potimas, is evil. We know why Sophia hates them. And that the "bad guys" are on a mission to save the world. Kumoko's tale in the past stops perfectly for season 2.

The "present" day story, not so much. We have Shun save Anna. It's never been made clear, but Anna basically took over his mother's role when she died, but the key is that in saving Anna, he hits Taboo level 10, and all that knowledge gets downloaded, overwhelming him. Before he can process this, Kumoko, the White woman who killed his brother, appears before them all.

And, basically that's that for the present-day storyline.

So, I liked this a lot, flaws and all.

Aoi Yuki is simply a gem in this, and the show noticeably lags when her high energy monologue as Kumoko is missing or amped down, as it is in the last episode.

So, let's all hope for an announcement for season 2 and that CGI and animation outsourcing isn't screwed up next time.
            Last edited by General Hentai; 07-05-2021, 09:44 PM.
            My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
            1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
            2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
            3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
            Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
            Widgets Magazine
            Working...
            X