X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter 2021 So I'm a Spider, So What? Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    蜘蛛ですが、なにか?

An isekai about a schoolgirl who reincarnates as a spider, and seeing how they are on the bottom of the creature hierarchy that she struggles to survive, while her reincarnated classmates enjoy much better lives.

Airs: Friday, January 8, 2021

Studio: Millipensee

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

The world where the Hero and the Demon King continue to oppose each other. The grand magic from the Hero and the Demon King cross over worlds and exploded in the classroom of a certain high school.

The students who died in the explosion will be reincarnated in a different world. The protagonist, who has the lowest reputation in the class, was reincarnated into a spider. Nevertheless, she adapted quickly to the present condition with strong willpower.

This is a story of she who has become a spider trying whatever she can to live.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: The Ohio State University Buckeyes
    Watching: Tylor, Astra Lost in Space, School-Live!, Vanguard
    Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

That time I got reincarnated as a spider.

So it starts with a giant explosion killing everybody in a classroom, and they get reincarnated in a new world, either as a human or an intelligent creature. Unfortunately for one girl, she's a spider, and as they are on the bottom of the food chain in this world, she's on the run trying to survive and learn some new techniques. All while her classmates are enjoying some royal feast, and at least those reincarnated as a pet are also living the good life. Knowing about the LN, while the source material is strong, adapting it into an anime is going to be really tricky, and it doesn't exactly help that it relies on CG usage, albeit it looks decent enough that it doesn't become an unwelcomed distraction. Anyway, Aoi Yuki is absolutely perfect for the role as she delivers what I believe to be her strongest performance to date, and that's saying quite a lot. Looks like this will be a show I need to be patient with given the way things play out in the LN as I have been hearing. While spiders are creepy animals, I have never seen one with a cute personality like this.

As usual, the trial period rules persist.
    Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
      Episode 1

That time I got reincarnated as a spider.

So it starts with a giant explosion killing everybody in a classroom, and they get reincarnated in a new world, either as a human or an intelligent creature. Unfortunately for one girl, she's a spider, and as they are on the bottom of the food chain in this world, she's on the run trying to survive and learn some new techniques. All while her classmates are enjoying some royal feast, and at least those reincarnated as a pet are also living the good life. Knowing about the LN, while the source material is strong, adapting it into an anime is going to be really tricky, and it doesn't exactly help that it relies on CG usage, albeit it looks decent enough that it doesn't become an unwelcomed distraction. Anyway, Aoi Yuki is absolutely perfect for the role as she delivers what I believe to be her strongest performance to date, and that's saying quite a lot. Looks like this will be a show I need to be patient with given the way things play out in the LN as I have been hearing. While spiders are creepy animals, I have never seen one with a cute personality like this.

As usual, the trial period rules persist.
      Re: Episode 1

So I'm hooked, so what?

In addition to the LNs (volume 14 of which comes out today in Japan), there is also a manga adaptation. So I'm a Spider, So What? is just an absolute trip. As the set up goes, a sudden explosion wipes out a high school classroom, with the class of students and their teacher all brought to another world via reincarnation. It's a classic isekai trope, but as we start to see, there's a twist on it as our star is reincarnated as a spider in a cave/dungeon. As she works her way through survival, she discovers that there's some kind of game like system which allows her to gain skills and points. While we concentrate on Miss Spider aka Kumoko, near the end we see the fate of some of her classmates. 2 of whom are now royalty, princes, 1 is nobility, one is a priestess, one is some kind of pet, and their teacher is now an elf. One of them is a very pretty girl, except she had been a boy in Japan. So we get the clear result that not everyone came to this world the same way. Changes took place, and other things, such as Filimos, the teacher, aka Oka-chan, saying that she has 11 students under her care who aren't monsters. We end with Kumoko resolving to survive after surviving injuries from a a frog creature that spits acid.

We end with an absolutely wild ED, the highlight of which is an idol concert, complete with monsters waving glowsticks, as Kumoko preforms as an idol. Completely insane, and the ED I most want to see the lyrics for right now. I was ROFLMAO watching this.

None of this conveys the sheer fun of this episode. Aoi Yuki, no stranger to being a seiyuu in isekai shows, ranging from being Tanya the Evil herself, to the more sedate (in certain ways) Shizuno from World Break or breaking out her animal side as Ms. Froggy herself, Froppy aka Tsuyu Asui from My Hero Academia (not isekai show, of course). She's one of those amazing seiyuu who can do amazingly different things with almost the same voice, here as Kumoko and as Tanya, or with a completely different voice, Shizuno, for instance. Aoi Yuki has been great in so many roles, and she has such a wide range, it's a bit presumptive to say this is her strongest role to date.

But it would not be wrong. I'm not saying she's better in those past outstanding roles, but this show is carried by the almost constant dialogue, much of it internal. And Aoi Yuki delivers it in machine gun fashion. "Oh, Jesus!" Aoi Yuki not only has to carry this show, she IS this show, as the former NEET high school girl gamer turned spider.

Of interest: Pay attention when she follows the human footsteps. She's several times longer than those shoeprints. So, she's not some itty-bitty house spider.

The CGs are, well, CGs. But they're not bad, and the intercutting and use of angles takes the worse bite off of them.

So, I'm hooked. Completely. This show as a keeper.

My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
      1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
      2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
      3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 2

Fire in the hole.

Life is tough being a spider, and even more so inside a dungeon. Add to the fact that she can't even find a place to make and keep her home from burning down to the laundry list of reasons as some adventurers have come in and are burning through all of her defenses that she set up to keep monsters out. She just can't get any time to relax as a giant snake is attacking her, but she outwits that snake in rather spectacular fashion. She's gaining levels, which will go a long way towards surviving that's all made possible by her can-do attitude, but the dangers are just beginning. It looks like her former classmates are looking to find each other, but there's no telling how will be able to find the spider seeing that she's well-hidden.

Comment

Episode 3

Win your battle.

The spider has faced danger plenty of times already, and she's getting stronger to the point where she can be just like Peter Parker, though in this world there aren't any skyscrapers to web-sling through, though there are forests that could suffice. But until then she just needs to worry about staying alive. Same can be said for the class as during a training session, an earth dragon attacks and kills the instructor. But thanks to Fei, they were able to take it down as Fei is freakishly powerful, and it's a great thing the class has that pet. That was a rather underwhelming episode, and at this point it would be better if it continues to focus on the spider seeing that it's her story after all. Nevertheless, I knew that there was going to be a lot of difficulty in adapting the manga into an anime, and I can see why, and while I'm used to the CG stuff, this is something that easily causes others to turn away and rage quit this show.

Comment

Episode 3

Win your battle.

The spider has faced danger plenty of times already, and she's getting stronger to the point where she can be just like Peter Parker, though in this world there aren't any skyscrapers to web-sling through, though there are forests that could suffice. But until then she just needs to worry about staying alive. Same can be said for the class as during a training session, an earth dragon attacks and kills the instructor. But thanks to Fei, they were able to take it down as Fei is freakishly powerful, and it's a great thing the class has that pet. That was a rather underwhelming episode, and at this point it would be better if it continues to focus on the spider seeing that it's her story after all. Nevertheless, I knew that there was going to be a lot of difficulty in adapting the manga into an anime, and I can see why, and while I'm used to the CG stuff, this is something that easily causes others to turn away and rage quit this show.
            Re: Episode 3

You've got to be starting something...

Here we continue to follow Kumoko's adventures as she grows up in the underworld, but then switch to her former classmates where we get the start of something, which to me is that her classmates are all off from where they were. Elf-girl sensei is off doing something, former classmate Hugo is an arrogant jerk, and classmate Yuri turns out to be a religious zealot. We'd already seen that Katia was aa guy in her past life, and that pet dragon Fei was a girl. But an Earth Dragon attacks a training class, and we see tough guy Hugo interfere, trying to hog the glory, but getting his butt kicked. Oh, yeah, regular guy Schlain? Turns out he's mega-bad-ass (and modest as well), and between Fei starting things, the two of them slay the dragon, with Fei prepared to give all the credit to Schlain, as she's gotten the Kin-Slayer title from her actions, meaning that this dragon was probably one of her parents (older sibling? Possible, but not mentioned).

This is a complex property to adapt for reasons it seems Buckeye knows and is not telling, and which I know and am also not going to tell. But so far, this anime is doing a very good job of adapting from the original material.

This is a fascinating isekai. The only flaw so far is the CGs, but even that is bearable and not nearly as terrible as many other shows.

My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
            1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
            2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and

Comment

Episode 4

Getting those monkeys off her back.

The dangers just keep on coming one after another. At least the spider knows where she is exactly, but being in a lower floor in a dungeon doesn't bode well for her. She's starving, and those snails are not really edible, but she comes a cross a monkey that she kills and eats. But that makes her a huge target as the rest of the monkey's den backs the spider into a corner. Just when it looked like she was done for, she levels up at just the right time, and is able to use her web to defeat those monkeys. Of course, her next obstacle comes in the form of a room full of lava as the dangers just keep on coming. Pretty amusing to see the spider working her magic seeing that just about anybody else in her position would have bit the dust there, and case in point that premature ending scene. Nevertheless, it's a much better episode than the previous one, though those CG monkeys are just creepy.

So with that, the trial period is over for this show and I'll have a decision on my hands as to whether this show stays or goes as it's one of this season's bubble shows.

Comment

Episode 5

The heat is on.

Knowing from Pokemon that bugs are weak against fire that this was more than likely not going to end well for the spider heroine. But it's a good thing that her analyzer ability leveled up, and she learned the stats of that salamander and the catfish that came afterwards. Not to mention, she built enough resistance to poison. But once again, the spider got clever and her reward is a yummy catfish that did more than replenish her strength. While this episode also showed the humans, that segment was quick in this episode as it was just there to keep them relevant, while maintaining the focus on the spider's climb out of the dungeon. That was certainly the best episode so far as this episode knew how to balance the two segments perfectly at this juncture of the story.

So I decided to give this show an extended trial period, and now that the show seems to be settling into a nice groove that I'll stick with this show much like with the webs that are being slung around.

Comment

Episode 6

Spider killers everywhere.

Not long after defeating that catfish, the spider is up against another tough foe in the form of an eel, and again batting in an environment that's not favorable to spiders, but once again the lovable spider girl finds a way to win by strengthening her web and going Tarzan at just the right moment. And with that victory, the spider really levels up. While that's going on, a group of adventurers are going into the dungeon to slay some spiders, though these guys are the big and nasty ones, and are nowhere near where this spider girl here. Looks like the humans are getting a lot of focus next time, and while those segments are less interesting than the spider's, it's important to keep them relevant.

Comment

Episode 7

The bullying never stops.

And now, an episode focused on the humans as they have all but seven of their classmates together with four of them dead and three of them somewhere too far away. This episode establishes Hugo as a huge menace as he was the bully Natsume in his previous life, all while establishing Shun as the viewpoint character among the humans. And then there's the elf girl teacher Oka-sensei as she has game master powers that puts a halt to Natsume's attack on Shun. Previously, stuff around the humans felt like it interrupted the progression of things, but spending almost an entire episode focusing on them made them more than just people who are there and that there are lots of issues going on there, and it mostly surrounds Natsume, all while the teacher there is quite powerful. Of course, the spider is nowhere near her classmates, but nevertheless it's important to keep them relevant rather than just making them paper-thin for too long.

Comment

Episode 7

The bullying never stops.

And now, an episode focused on the humans as they have all but seven of their classmates together with four of them dead and three of them somewhere too far away. This episode establishes Hugo as a huge menace as he was the bully Natsume in his previous life, all while establishing Shun as the viewpoint character among the humans. And then there's the elf girl teacher Oka-sensei as she has game master powers that puts a halt to Natsume's attack on Shun. Previously, stuff around the humans felt like it interrupted the progression of things, but spending almost an entire episode focusing on them made them more than just people who are there and that there are lots of issues going on there, and it mostly surrounds Natsume, all while the teacher there is quite powerful. Of course, the spider is nowhere near her classmates, but nevertheless it's important to keep them relevant rather than just making them paper-thin for too long.
                      Re: Episode 7

And now, the rest of the story...

Aoi Yuki just going off as Kumoko is an absolute delight. It'd be fun as hell to see her in a recording session for this show, as we see her level up, then fuss about certain skills not evolving beyond, when she gets a response that "Senior Administrator D" is considering, and then granting her request. Which freaks her out. While she's been approaching this world like it's a game, suddenly, instead of her being the player, is someone else playing her?

Back to the humans, and Natsume certainly thinks he's the center of the world. Filimos, aka Oka-sensei, has warned against developing skills; they're dangerous, she says. Yuri the priestess is still looking for heretics to kill, and on an overnight outdoor trip to develop skills, Natsume makes his move. He's been developing skills like mad to overcome his perceived humiliation by Shun in dealing with the Earth Dragon. He's got insane skills and stats, making him far stronger than Shun, and Natsume's got a plan: Kill everyone except his buddies and blame it on the monster that he slew. After all, this is his world and he's going to do what he wants.

Except he really didn't check out Elf-sensei. Oka-chan has the ability to erase skills and stats, making her totally OPed. She saves Shun just in time, tells Natsume his plan's failed that his minions have been defeated and captured, and then erases Natusme's skills and puts all his stats at 30, instead of them being between 522 - 608.

Needless to say, Natsume's unhappy, and after a destructive temper tantrum in his room, a girl claiming to be a fellow reincarnation appears in his room, making him an offer, which he'll accept, even if she's a demon.

So, we end up with the human side of the story picking up the pace. While there's no question that Kumoko is the star of this show, what's going on with the humans has gotten much more interesting, as Oka-sensei is clearly up to something that she's hiding, and Natsume is power-mad and insane. Plus, who is Senior Administrator D?

We find out that 11 students are with the elves, 6 of them at the academy, including Oka-sensei, and she tells them that there are 2 more she's about to collect, and 4 who died, which accounts for 23 out of 26 students.

Mysteries abound this week and we'll have to wait to see what next week brings.

Comment

Episode 8

Dead end again.

More is explained about the class in their previous lives. In particular, there's the part about Hiiro being such a loner and believed to be the person who reincarnated as the spider. Well, it turns out not to be the case as Hiiro's reincarnation is one of the four dead students in this world, and if she is the spider, then the series would be over as the spider is burnt to a crisp and thus, gone from this world. Meanwhile, the spider just can't catch a break as while she outsmarted a salamander, a catfish, and an eel that is built for this hot environment that's really bad for bugs, the dragon is a different level of beast who is not only bigger, but smarter as well seeing that it used its own breath to cancel out the spider's super-charged poison attack to be shoved down that beast's throat. Quite a dramatic cliffhanger that was, but I'm pretty sure she has something up her sleeve as it's too early to kill off this critter. It will be interesting to see just who she was in her past life as it looked like she's Hiiro, but after that ending I'm pretty sure she is not it.

Comment

Episode 9

No speak isekai.

The spider managed to survive that last hit, and with her last bit of energy does just enough to defeat that dragon. But then she gets a call from somebody known as D delivered by a messenger who can't speak her language. That language barrier stuff is pretty hilarious as the spider is saying all sorts of stuff to try and make sense of everything, though D does speak her language. While that's going on, Shun's brother Julius is a hero who he looks up to, but sadly dies at the end when the hero title is passed onto him. And now, there's the Demon Lord that has assembled her generals as they are about to launch a war. Lots of stuff going on here, and it will be interesting to see how all these things come together as something is definitely amiss about all this.

Comment

Episode 9

No speak isekai.

The spider managed to survive that last hit, and with her last bit of energy does just enough to defeat that dragon. But then she gets a call from somebody known as D delivered by a messenger who can't speak her language. That language barrier stuff is pretty hilarious as the spider is saying all sorts of stuff to try and make sense of everything, though D does speak her language. While that's going on, Shun's brother Julius is a hero who he looks up to, but sadly dies at the end when the hero title is passed onto him. And now, there's the Demon Lord that has assembled her generals as they are about to launch a war. Lots of stuff going on here, and it will be interesting to see how all these things come together as something is definitely amiss about all this.
                            Re: Episode 9

So many flags flying.

And, FINALLY, the BIG Secret is out!

This is the big reveal episode, and I mean BIG.

We start out by checking out things at the academy, with Shun rushing to meet his Big Brother, Julius the Hero, along with sister Sue, and growing dragon, Fei. The Hero's stopped by with his friend and tank, Hyrince, to say goodbye. He's going off to the Empire which is about to be attacked by the Demons. This is a really good guy, he just wants to live in a world of peace. He's amazed at Fei's growth, and when Shun asks about the scarf made by their late mother, here's where things get VERY interesting:

1. The scarf was made out of rare spider thread from the great labyrinth.

2. It was recovered from what was left when they burned out the spider's nest.

3. Also recovered was a dragon's egg.

4. Fei is the dragon who hatched from that egg.

Drumroll..............................

5. All this happened FIFTEEN YEARS AGO!!!!!!!!

(More later)

As Julius heads out, he hits so many death flags, that I think the only one he missed was that he'd be signing that life insurance policy when he got back from this trip.

Meanwhile, back at the Labyrinth,

We have Kumoko defeat the dragon using some of the powers she's held back on. It's a tough as hell fight, with whoever lands the last punch being the winner, and that puncher is Kumoko. Whose amazing victory attracts the attention of an immeasurably powerful being (literally; Kumoko's appraisal can't measure this guy's power). But there's a language barrier, an hysterical language barrier. The viewer will hear at one point Kumoko saying in bad language English, "I can't speak Isekai", while reading the subtitles which say "No habla Isekai."

Suddenly, from out of nowhere, a smartphone falls onto the floor, Kumoko, who was able to detect the incoming arrival of Bad Ass Dude, didn't detect the phone's arrival. And suddenly we hear in both Japanese and Isekai, that it's Senior Administrator D, who asks Kumoko to wait a minute, then speaks in Isekai to B.A.D. who ports out, leaving the phone behind. We then get a fun and interesting conversation between D and Kumoko, with D reading Kumoko's mind, saying that she doesn't usually read Kumoko's mind when she's watching the spider. D, btw sounds like a cheery young woman. And yes, this is the same D who granted Kumoko the Wisdom upgrade. What's D up to? Here she gets a bit pouty, saying it's just for her own amusement, and describes herself as the most malevolent, evil god in the whole world, a world which she claims she's an outsider to. But D's not saying more, she doesn't want to spoil her fun, so hang in there and survive so D stays entertained, okay? But D says that she thinks if Kumoko does hang in there, Spider Girl will find out everything she wants to know.

Meanwhile, back at Demons R Us...

We get to see the attractive Demon Lord prepare to get her troops ready for battle, when one of her generals objects to the war, she tells him that there's a way to save the world and not have to attack the humans, but it'll require the execution of both him and his entire army, if he's fine with that? He's not, hooray for war! She puts a couple of others in their places, and is left alone with 2 of her generals, who've been with her for a long time, with the one who speaks saying he'd never have believed they'd have ended up in this arrangement. She talks about not just sitting around waiting to be wiped out. And then Demon Lord says this:

"The Hero's going to have to die...as bad as I might feel for Yamada-kun."

After which we hear reports to the Hero about demon activity, and then, as he sits in a lecture, Shun suddenly gains the Hero title and its skills. There's only one Hero at a time. It's for life. It's in this way that he learns his adored big brother has died.

Well, that was one heck of an episode!!

Most important, the BIG secret can now be discussed: This is a story that is being told in an non-linear fashion. The events at the academy? They're taking place 15 years after we first meet Kumoko in the Labyrinth. While we don't know how long Kumoko's been in the Labyrinth, it's safe to say that the events we saw in this episode take place at least a decade apart.

My mind would be blown by this, and then love the deception here as it all clicks in place...except I already knew about it. And it makes sense. Spiders grow very fast, humans do not. Instead of Kumoko getting reincarnated much later than anyone else, she got reincarnated at the same time. Meaning that Fei was likely laid as an egg at the same time as everyone else was reincarnated.

This means that Kumoko could indeed have died by the time Oka-chan tells her students about the class survivors. Or not.

Of great interest: The Demon Lord KNOWS that the Hero's brother is reincarnated from Japan. And she feels sorry for him about having to kill the Hero. It also seems that the Demon Lord has some sort of "save the world" goal in her actions, Whether that's what's going on, or if that's only what she believes is going on, who knows? So how does she know this, and why? It almost seems she knows him personally. But she clearly knows about him.

-Oh, and we get to see how others see Kumoko in the flashback. She is NOT the adorable spider that WE know and love.

So a BIG reveal, but lots more mysteries delivered as well.

Comment

Episode 10

The will of D.

Here comes a high-level spider called the Queen Taratect, which is someone the spider girl can become if she keeps on leveling up at the rate she is, and the queen is quite a formidable foe. A team of soldiers was almost completely wiped out by it as her webs are as tough as steel and require some really hot flames to burn, all while it moves very fast and strikes in a blink of an eye. It's only thanks to some teleportation magic and the soldiers protecting those two with their lives that Ronandt and Buirimus were able to escape. While that's going on, Shun now has a target on his head now that he has inherited the title of hero from his brother Julius after he was killed in the line of duty. Things are getting ever more so chaotic here as there's a lot of juggling around here, between Kumoko, Shun and his classmates, the demon lord, and the adventurers who are venturing into the dungeon.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X