Widgets Magazine

Currently Watching (Fall 2020 Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall 2020 Currently Watching (Fall 2020 Edition)

Widgets Magazine
    The summer season is in the books, and it was quite a light season as a number of shows were delayed because of the pandemic, and a good number of these delayed shows were bumped into the fall season. And as such, a new season of anime is here, and the number of new shows gets a huge bump as they usually do every fall, but this season even more so with COVID causing lots of production delays.

The link to the Summer 2020 Edition
    Fall 2020 Anime Chart
    Fall 2020 Anime Lineup Thread

Note
    - Change the title of your post to reflect the contents.
    - Do not use the Reply to Thread button; instead, click quote on the post you wish to reply to, or on this post if you're starting a new subthread.
    - Edit down the quoted section to the relevant bits, nobody needs to read someone's epic list of watched stuff twice.
    - Be nice to one another.
    - Please discuss only what you are watching this season in this thread. Stuff watched during other seasons should be discussed in their respective threads.

Also, I'd like to add the following. The Currently Watching Thread is mainly meant for a general overview of how you're currently feeling about shows. It is not supposed to be a replacement for actual discussion threads. Try to keep heavier discussion (if possible) in the more specific discussion threads.

In addition, try to be careful of spoilers here. It's one thing if it's properly tagged and such. However, I don't want people to have to worry about someone randomly posting "Wow, X died in episode 17 of Y". Just a randomly made up example, but you get the idea.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Sitonai, Fate/Grand Order
    Watching: Galaxy Angel, Rayearth, Arte, City Hunter
    Simulcasts: EES-2, HIQ-4, GKY-3, IMH-2, DUN-3, IOR-3, STW-3, A3A-2, INU-Y, KHO, DBG, HIG-G, JJK, MTP, TKW, A3A, ASH, ADV, TSZ, K3B, MWZ, SLP, JEL, SDF, GBF-G, RRQ, DCF, 1RM-3
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Simulcast Interest List

Now that I know what's coming and what's not, time for my quarterly interest list, which is how I feel about shows coming into the season (while they have changed since the first episode, this is how I felt about the shows before watching the first episodes). No real need to explain what the tier names indicate, but I'll still give a quick rundown of it. In means I'm watching, Probable means unless it's unbearably bad I will watch it, Questionable means I'll check it out and impressions will largely determine where I go with it, Doubtful means I might not check it out (more often than not I do check it out), but it will have to knock my socks off to watch it, and Out means I'm not bothering with it. And then there's the usual three-letter abbreviations that go in my signature to indicate what I'm watching.

IN
    [EES-2] Fire Force season 2 (continuing)
    [GPR] Great Pretender (continuing)
    [HIQ-4] Haikyu! To the Top (continuing)
    [GKY-3] Golden Kamuy season 3
    [IMH-2] The Irregular at Magic High School: Visitor Arc
    [DUN-3] Is It Wrong to Try and Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? III
    [IOR-3] Is the Order a Rabbit? Bloom
    [GBF-G] Grand Blues! (short)
    [1RM-3] One Room season 3 (short)

PROBABLE
    [KHO] By the Grace of the Gods
    [DBG] The Day I Became a God
    [HIG-G] Higurashi: When They Cry Gou
    [JJK] Jujutsu Kaisen
    [MTP] Moriarty the Patriot
    [STW-3] Strike Witches: Road to Berlin
    [TKW] Tonikawa: Over the Moon for You
    [INU-Y] Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon
    [RRQ] Rail Romanesque (short)
    [DCF] With a Dog and a Cat, Everyday is Fun (short)

QUESTIONABLE
    [A3A-2] A3! Season Autumn and Winter
    [ASH] Adachi and Shimamura
    [ADV] Akudama Drive
    [ALB] Assault Lily Bouquet
    [DRQ-D] Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai
    [DFT] Dropout Idol Fruit Tart
    [TSZ] The Gymnastics Samurai
    [IWP] Ikebukuro West Gate Park
    [K3B] Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear
    [MAE] Maesetsu!
    [MWZ] Magatsu Wahrheit: Zuerst
    [NOB] Noblesse
    [KSH] Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World
    [SLP] Sleepy Princes in the Demon Castle
    [JEL] Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina
    [SDF] Warlords of Sigrdrifa
    [NEC] That is the Bottleneck (short)

DOUBTFUL
    [D4J] D4DJ First Mix
    [TTS-G] Eagle Talon: Golden Spell
    [HMP] Hypnosis Mic
    [1ML] I'm Standing on a Million Lives
    [IWK] Iwa-Kakeru! Sport Climbing Girls
    [KRD] King's Raid: Successor of the Will
    [MNA] Talentless Nana

OUT
    Eternity: Sweet Love Story
    Love Live! Nijigasaki High School Idol Club
    Mr. Osomatsu season 3
    The Mysterious Candy Shop Zenitendo
    Okami-san wa Taberaretai
    Otona nya Koi no Shikata ga Wakaranee!
    Saikyo Kamizmode!
    Tsukiuta season 2

So in total, that's 6 shows with episodes that are at least half-length that are already locked in by virtue of being a continuing show or sequel (not counting Great Pretender that will be binged, and thus doesn't count towards the total), 8 in probable, and 16 in questionable with the rest probably not going to get serious consideration. I'm planning to increase my watchlist from 18 to 22 this season with more shows and more time on my hands being at home a lot more than usual, and possibly up to 24 if I can't make a decision on some borderline shows as well.
    Simulcasts: EES-2, HIQ-4, GKY-3, IMH-2, DUN-3, IOR-3, STW-3, A3A-2, INU-Y, KHO, DBG, HIG-G, JJK, MTP, TKW, A3A, ASH, ADV, TSZ, K3B, MWZ, SLP, JEL, SDF, GBF-G, RRQ, DCF, 1RM-3
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
      Simulcast Interest List

Now that I know what's coming and what's not, time for my quarterly interest list, which is how I feel about shows coming into the season (while they have changed since the first episode, this is how I felt about the shows before watching the first episodes). No real need to explain what the tier names indicate, but I'll still give a quick rundown of it. In means I'm watching, Probable means unless it's unbearably bad I will watch it, Questionable means I'll check it out and impressions will largely determine where I go with it, Doubtful means I might not check it out (more often than not I do check it out), but it will have to knock my socks off to watch it, and Out means I'm not bothering with it. And then there's the usual three-letter abbreviations that go in my signature to indicate what I'm watching.

IN
      [EES-2] Fire Force season 2 (continuing)
      [GPR] Great Pretender (continuing)
      [HIQ-4] Haikyu! To the Top (continuing)
      [GKY-3] Golden Kamuy season 3
      [IMH-2] The Irregular at Magic High School: Visitor Arc
      [DUN-3] Is It Wrong to Try and Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? III
      [IOR-3] Is the Order a Rabbit? Bloom
      [GBF-G] Grand Blues! (short)
      [1RM-3] One Room season 3 (short)

PROBABLE
      [KHO] By the Grace of the Gods
      [DBG] The Day I Became a God
      [HIG-G] Higurashi: When They Cry Gou
      [JJK] Jujutsu Kaisen
      [MTP] Moriarty the Patriot
      [STW-3] Strike Witches: Road to Berlin
      [TKW] Tonikawa: Over the Moon for You
      [INU-Y] Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon
      [RRQ] Rail Romanesque (short)
      [DCF] With a Dog and a Cat, Everyday is Fun (short)

QUESTIONABLE
      [A3A-2] A3! Season Autumn and Winter
      [ASH] Adachi and Shimamura
      [ADV] Akudama Drive
      [ALB] Assault Lily Bouquet
      [DRQ-D] Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai
      [DFT] Dropout Idol Fruit Tart
      [TSZ] The Gymnastics Samurai
      [IWP] Ikebukuro West Gate Park
      [K3B] Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear
      [MAE] Maesetsu!
      [MWZ] Magatsu Wahrheit: Zuerst
      [NOB] Noblesse
      [KSH] Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World
      [SLP] Sleepy Princes in the Demon Castle
      [JEL] Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina
      [SDF] Warlords of Sigrdrifa
      [NEC] That is the Bottleneck (short)

DOUBTFUL
      [D4J] D4DJ First Mix
      [TTS-G] Eagle Talon: Golden Spell
      [HMP] Hypnosis Mic
      [1ML] I'm Standing on a Million Lives
      [IWK] Iwa-Kakeru! Sport Climbing Girls
      [KRD] King's Raid: Successor of the Will
      [MNA] Talentless Nana

OUT
      Eternity: Sweet Love Story
      Love Live! Nijigasaki High School Idol Club
      Mr. Osomatsu season 3
      The Mysterious Candy Shop Zenitendo
      Okami-san wa Taberaretai
      Otona nya Koi no Shikata ga Wakaranee!
      Saikyo Kamizmode!
      Tsukiuta season 2

So in total, that's 6 shows with episodes that are at least half-length that are already locked in by virtue of being a continuing show or sequel (not counting Great Pretender that will be binged, and thus doesn't count towards the total), 8 in probable, and 16 in questionable with the rest probably not going to get serious consideration. I'm planning to increase my watchlist from 18 to 22 this season with more shows and more time on my hands being at home a lot more than usual, and possibly up to 24 if I can't make a decision on some borderline shows as well.
      I do believe there is an addition to your "OUT" category: <DOGEZA> I Tried Asking While Kowtowing which is currently available on CR. The good news: It's 3:30 in length, including a catchy tune of cute gals in various stages of getting into the dogeza position. The bad news: It features an unseen protagonist, with commentary from an unapproving narrator, begging a girl to show her oppai, in this episode, a girl with a fairly flat-chest, something she uses to try and discourage him. In the end, she's overcome with the power of dogeza, and flashes her goodies, with an animated dogeza character covering her nipples. There's also an end card of the girl in original, well-drawn art with her making a brief comment to her begging sempai, who after having seen what he wanted to see, has taken off.

Truly, WTF anime, and WTF Japan. For me, the appeal of this was thinking what the girl should be doing to the guy: Stomping him, pepper spray, mace, baseball bats, calling the cops, livestreaming the dumbass. Running in at 2:20, before throwing in the song and end card, the result is a one joke show that at least is short enough for it.

But, Lord, this is dumb.
      My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
      1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
      2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
      3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Alright, I will do an informal first impressions list since the last show to start, D4DJ First Mix, has yet to air, while just about everything else is two episodes in. Normally, I go with a 20+2, but with the pandemic giving me more free time that I decided to go up to 22+3 this time around as I added two more, plus a three show buffer in case I am having a tough time deciding between the last few shows.

First up are the continuing shows and sequels that are locked in from the start with the continuing shows Fire Force season 2, Haikyu! to the Top, and A3! (the latter two being the second cour of a split cour series), and the sequels to Golden Kamuy, Strike Witches, Danmachi, Is the Order a Rabbit?, and Mahouka. Though I had reservations about A3! and Strike Witches, I have decided to continue on with those. Overall, the sequels are all as good or better than their previous seasons, and that's especially true for Mahouka and Danmachi, though questionable at this point for Strike Witches. So counting those shows, that's 8 so far towards the limit.

Next, the shows that didn't take long to secure their spots, and those are Jujutsu Kaisen, Tonikawa, Moriarty the Patriot, Akudama Drive, The Day I Became a God, Yashahime, The Journey of Elaina, and Higurashi. These eight shows were both highly anticipated and they delivered on their first episodes in a big way. So unless the bottom unexpectedly falls out, those shows are in.

Now, I will talk about the shows unlikely to crack my list, and they are Talentless Nana, Maesetsu, Noblesse, Assault Lily Bouquet, I'm Standing on a Million Lives, Hypnosis Mic, King's Raid, and Iwa Kakeru as either I didn't have much enthusiasm coming into these shows or it has been a disappointment so far (as is the case with Noblesse and Assault Lily), and with the exception of Talentless Nana, so far they haven't done much to convince me to watch them. So barring a miraculous turnaround, those shows are unlikely to make the cut, and of these, only Talentless Nana has a realistic chance of climbing out.

And that leaves me with the at-large shows and assuming I keep the 16 shows listed in the first two segments, that leaves me with 6-9 spots left to fill with By the Grace of the Gods, Dropout Idol Fruit Tart, Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle, IWGP, MWZ, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear, Our Last Crusade, Adachi and Shimamura, D4DJ, Sigrdrifa, and Gymnastics Samurai. So that's 11 shows in total, and one of them between IWGP and MWZ will be dropped to fulfill the Tuesday show requirement. Of these, By the Grace of the Gods, Our Last Crusade, Sigrdrifa, and Gymnastics Samurai all have the anticipation aspect going in their favor, but still flawed enough to keep it as an at-large show, while Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear is in trouble because of the way the show has been adapted so far from what's supposed to be a great manga, while the big wild card is D4DJ, which is unlikely but I can't say for sure until I tried it.

Lastly, there are the shorts, and pretty much there's more than enough room for the shorts I am interested in. Gurabura!, Rail Romanesque, Dog and Cat, and One Room are all in, while Eagle Talon and Dogeza (which I haven't and will not check out) are out, and That is the Bottleneck is under consideration. So once I check out D4DJ, the impressions list will be made. And while there's also the final season of Attack on Titan, that will count towards the winter season total and not the fall since it begins in the final month of the season.

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: October 1-15

Here is my first post-simulcast report of the season, and there's not much I have to review as most of the stuff during those 15 days that I watched were simulcasts and shows that I'm in the middle of. It's mostly movies and just one TV series finished. In any case, here it is, and I'm going to write quite a lot of stuff over the coming week as I have first impressions, my first leader board, my second post-simulcast report of the season, and my finalized watchlist (although it's mostly decided, there are still a few shows I'm still undecided about).

Completed

Burn the Witch (movie): B-
          This show has some solid storytelling, nice supernatural stuff, and interesting characters, all to form a satisfying enough experience for someone who watched all of Bleach. There's quite a lot of potential for a TV series to come out of this, but there isn't the source material to do it. On the flipside, the show's story introduces a lot of characters that are mostly brushed off, the plot is largely predictable, and some of the characters are really annoying. In all, it's a satisfying show, but one that just feels too hollow and unfulfilling like those monsters in Tight Kubo's work that he's known for.

Strike Witches Movie: B
          After a fanservice-heavy first season and a second season that does a much better job with character development, this movie is where it all comes together as unlike the TV series, the movie does not rely on fanservice, all while telling a much more fulfilling story to go along with the great hot-blooded action this show does best. That said, the biggest issue with the movie is the plot's predictability as things pretty much happen without much derivation from the norm, all while it places too much emphasis on Yoshika's recklessness, but even so the storytelling is still solid and is a more well-rounded product than the TV series.

Dorohedoro OVA: B

^Goblin Slayer (1-12): B
          This show made its presence felt early and often as it does a nice job in drawing viewers in with moral conflicts, interesting characters, and intrigue. However, the show gets away from what it does so well in the beginning and kind of forgets what it wants to be as the plot meanders and doesn't exactly have much upward movement to it, all while things get hard to follow with the characters having no names. And of course, there's the whole rape stuff in the first episode and the bird's eye scene as the inclusion of those things is questionable. In all, the entertainment value stays fairly high throughout, even if the story becomes increasingly hard to follow.

Ongoing

[CFD] Frankenstein Family (1-3)
          [FCB-A] Future Card Buddyfight Ace (9-10)
          [GXA-3] Galaxy Angel A (1-13)
          [JBA-GW] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind (31-34)
          [OPC] One Piece (575-585)
          ^[UWM-I] Utawarerumono: The False Faces (1-7)

Comment

My easy and simple watch list:

1. Yashahime
            2. Adachi and Shimamura
            3. Wondering Witch
            4. Golden Kamuy 3
            5. Is the Order a Rabbit? BLOOM
            6. Dragon Quest
            7. Climbing Girls
            8. Jujutsu Kaisen
            9. Danmachi III
            10. Higurashi
            11. The Day I Became a God
            12. Assault Lily Bouquet
            13. The Irregular at Magic High School 2
            14. Haikyu!! 4

Comment

Fall 2020: First Impressions

Time for first impressions, which are coming late due to D4DJ's late start. Same drill as usual as they are tiered into three categories with the first meaning I'm likely on-board, the second meaning I'm unsure, and the third I either decided to drop or am close to unless the unthinkable happens. And for continuing shows and ongoing split-cour shows I just list them without saying anything more about it.

Red Zone
              Fire Force season 2 (continuing)
              A3! Season Autumn and Winter (continuing)
              Haikyu! To the Top (continuing)

Golden Kamuy season 3 - All the fun, crazy, and bizarre things that made this show so great continues into this season, and while not having Asirpa as involved kind of sucks, the storytelling remains great.
              The Irregular at Magic High School: Visitor Arc - This show is at its best when it focuses on the supporting cast and not the OP antics of the MC or the incestual stuff from his sister. So far, this show has focused a lot more on the new character that has made a great impression. While 8-Bit's animation is not as top-notch as Madhouse's, they did an excellent job in maintaining the high standards the first season has.
              Is It Wrong to Try and Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? III - After a somewhat underwhelming second season, this one gets back to doing what it did best and the story so far has been much stronger and more interesting compared to a rushed and rather cringeworthy one in the second.
              Is the Order a Rabbit? Bloom - The show picks up right where the second season left off even with a different studio in charge, and it continues to be the same fun show it has always been.
              Strike Witches: Road to Berlin - This season starts off with some solid storytelling and great action that this show is known for, and with David now in charge of the animation, it looks much better than the previous seasons. So far, fanservice has been deemphasized in favor of building the characters, and it's doing a nice job in doing that.
              Akudama Drive - This show delivers on action, thrills, animation, and craziness, and that makes it entertaining. There's not much of a story to speak of, but the product so far has been great where there's never a dull moment, all while the futuristic setting in this show is great eye candy.
              The Day I Became a God - This is another Key show that starts out with being funny, and doing an excellent job at it before the inevitable serious stuff comes into play. P.A. Works does another great job with the animation, all while the execution of the story has been good so far.
              The Gymnastics Samurai - The quirky characters are what makes this show go, all while it has an intriguing story building up.
              Higurashi: When They Cry Gou - So far, this is a remake of the first season that was a horror show that was a chore to watch, but this season there's much less nonsense going on and more story-driven. The animation style is questionable, but overall it has everything else that makes Higurashi what it's supposed to be.
              Jujutsu Kaisen - This show has it all together with a strong story, great action, fitting animation, and interesting characters. The source material is really strong, and so far the anime has built off of it very nicely.
              Moriarty the Patriot - This show has by far the best concept of all the new shows this season, and seeing that I relate the MC to Lelouch is a big reason why. This is all about committing crimes in order to bring down a corrupt society in the world of Sherlock Holmes, and it has gotten off to a strong start.
              Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World - This Romeo and Juliet-type story took awhile to establish itself, but once it does, the show becomes very intriguing to watch. It can fall flat at times, but when it's on, it's really on.
              Tonikawa: Over the Moon for You - This is a very fun show to watch for the characters, comedy, and the comparisons to Hayate the Combat Butler seeing that this is by that same mangaka. Everything it sets out to be, so far it has been executed very nicely, all while doing a great job in building character relationships that puts it a cut above a typical romcom.
              Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina - The episodes vary in quality as this is an episodic show, but for the most part it's a nice way for the MC to build her character, and it does a nice job in mixing things up by having happy adventures and not-so-happy ones in the mix.
              Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon - While the story pales in comparison to its predecessor Inuyasha, it does a great job in being its own story and setting itself to be great in its own way. The new characters are nicely introduced, and there's a lot of intrigue so far.
              Grand Blues (short) - This is a show for those who enjoy Granblue Fantasy and not much more as the comedy can be hit or miss.
              One Room 3rd Season (short) - The first girl showcased in this show is better than any of the other ones in the previous seasons, so it bodes well.
              Rail Romanesque (short) - The girls are cute to look at, while being a short makes it palatable to watch, but for the most part it's just looking at girls and nothing else in this short is anything to brag about.
              With a Dog and a Cat, Everyday is Fun (short) - For 90 seconds, the show does a nice job in not only being entertaining, but also delivers some life lessons to pet owners.

Midfield
              Adachi and Shimamura - This show is narrative-heavy, and while that's this show's charm, this show might not be for everybody.
              By the Grace of the Gods - This is a light-hearted isekai that does a nice job in incorporating experiences from the MC's previous life, but so far the plot has been really slow to develop.
              Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai - This is a nicely done kids show that's a remake of a show based off a video game franchise. While it's entertaining, at the same time it tends to get stale and repetitive.
              Dropout Idol Fruit Tart - The girls are cute, the antics are funny, and the show has an intriguing story going for it, but at the same time the execution just feels flat at times, all while the show tends to be way too over-the-top to the point where it pushes the story takes a back seat, and kind of stays there.
              Ikebukuro West Gate Park - Just a repetitive show that's all about solving mysteries, and it's one of those shows where seeing it once means you've seen it all.
              Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear - It's a cute and fun show, but the low-tier studio doing this show has dropped the ball on the animation as the storywriting so far hasn't exactly done any justice to the manga that's supposed to be really good.
              Magatsu Wahrheit: Zuerst - While there's some solid drama and intriguing things going on, the show, don't tell approach just isn't getting the job done for this show based off a mobile game as being in the dark about a lot of things doesn't feel good in a show like this.
              Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle - It's funny and amusing, but at the same time repetitive as it feels like this show is just going to be about how the MC finds a better night's sleep, and not really doing anything to build relationships or other things that should matter.
              Talentless Nana - This show is doing a nice job with building intrigue with a concept that's all about the MC handed a mission to kill a bunch of kids at a school, but finding herself between a rock and a hard place. On the flipside, this show is starting to fall flat due to the need to try and keep several characters relevant, all while not really doing a lot to build Nana's character.
              Warlords of Sigrdrifa - After a slow start where the show feels like it didn't need to start out with a double-length episode, this show is slowly settling into a groove. While the action is great and the girls are interesting, the storytelling hasn't been able to keep up.
              Anime Kapibara-san (short) - It's at least something different for a short. But aside from that, there's not much happening in just a minute.

Own 20
              Assault Lily Bouquet - This show has great artistry and interesting characters, but the storywriting is really bad largely because it tries to bite on more than it can chew.
              D4DJ First Mix - The music is great, while the CG animation is solid, but aside from that there's not much going for this show as the story is pretty generic, while the MC is really annoying.
              Eagle Talon: Golden Spell - Don't like the animation, the story just won't work for a series, and it's just an uninteresting show.
              Hypnosis Mic - Lots of rapping, and no story whatsoever, and whatever story there it, the raps detract from it.
              I'm Standing on a Million Lives - This isekai suffers from having a forced plot and cringeworthy characters, leading this to be a weak show that doesn't really do anything to stand out.
              Iwa-Kakeru! Sport Climbing Girls - This show is just way too cliche-ridden, while the animation is subpar given the no-name studio adapting it. But above all, the plot just didn't do enough to keep me interested in it.
              King's Raid - Just a generic video game adaptation that doesn't really do anything interesting.
              Maesetsu! - This is just a boring show overall. The girls are cute, and it's funny at times, but for the most part it's a snoozefest with comedy that misses the mark.
              Noblesse - While the manhwa this show is from is well-received, this show has come off as being hard to follow and didn't do a good enough job in establishing a foundation. While I did watch Awakening as instructed, this hasn't exactly done a good job in building off it.
              That is the Bottleneck (short) - While being a short makes it easier to stomach, there's just nothing good going for this show. It's flat, animation is an eyesore, and there's just no substance to it whatsoever to make me care about it.

So with that, I'm looking to watch 24 shows this season, and I pretty much have decided on 20 of them at this time (the 18 in the first tier, plus Magatsu Wahrheit and Sigrdrifa) as these are my thoughts after watching the show through D4DJ's premiere last week. Since either IWGP or MWZ was going to make it that by choosing MWZ, IWGP is out. So that means four of the remaining seven shows in the second tier will be chosen.
              Last edited by Buckeye; 10-30-2020, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Fall 2020 Simulcast Rankings: October 2020

One month is in the books, and time for my first leader board of the season. With this being the fall season, football terminology is now in play, while I color-code shows that I'm watching (black), shows that are dropped (red), and shows that I'm still undecided about (blue) as of October 31.

Touchdown
                Jujutsu Kaisen
                Haikyu! To the Top
                Golden Kamuy 3rd Season
                Fire Force 2nd Season

Field Goal
                Tonikawa: Over the Moon For You
                Moriarty the Patriot
                The Day I Became a God
                Is It Wrong to Try and Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? III
                Is the Order a Rabbit? Bloom
                Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina
                The Irregular at Magic High School: Visitor Arc
                Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon
                Akudama Drive

First Down
                The Gymnastics Samurai
                Higurashi: When They Cry Gou
                Sleep Princess in the Demon Castle
                Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World
                Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai
                Adachi and Shimamura

Strike Witches: Road to Berlin
                A3! Season Autumn and Winter
                By the Grace of the Gods
                Warlords of Sigrdrifa
                Talentless Nana

Punt
                Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear
                Dropout Idol Fruit Tart

Assault Lily: Bouquet
                Noblesse

With a Dog and a Cat, Everyday is Fun
                Grand Blues!
                One Room 3rd Season
                Iwakakeru: Sport Climbing Girls
                I'm Standing on a Million Lives

D4DJ First Mix
                Ikebukuro West Gate Park
                King's Raid: Successor of the Will

Fumble
                Rail Romanesque
                Magatsu Wahrheit: Zuerst
                Anime Kapibara-san
                Maesetsu!
                That is the Bottleneck
                Eagle Talon: Golden Spell
                Hypnosis Mic

Since this is ten days late that I have already decided on some of the shows in blue, but I still am trying to figure out the last shows for the season's watchlist.

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: October 16-31

Here is the next post-simulcast report for the season. I just got around to finishing Welcome to Japari Park and I have one more episode left to go with A Certain Scientific Railgun T (which I'm watching on the dub's schedule), so I'll be going back and doing simulcast reviews for those shows in the summer thread, hopefully this weekend. In any case, here's the second of the six post-simulcast reports as the time winds down for 2020, as well as the life of The Fandom Post and this forum.

Completed

Tales of Crestoria (special): C+
                  This special is meant to advertise the game, which was made clear, and as such there's not much substance to it. But given the purpose of this special, it does the job, all while doing a decent job in setting the stage and giving longtime Tales fans something to look forward to in the game. Aside from that, there's not much coming out from it.

Naruto: Blood Prison (movie): B
                  Pretty typical for a Naruto movie, although this is one of the better ones compared to the others put out there. What makes this movie go is the supporting cast as there's a lot of depth to Naruto's closest movie-only sidekick, all while the drama was nicely done in keeping the reason for Naruto being sent to prison under wraps. Aside from that, everything else is typical for a Naruto movie, but doesn't exactly take the most of the opportunity as some things were left unsettled in the end.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind (35-39): A
                  This show puts everything that is great about JBA on display here as it uses everything that has worked well for this series to adapt it. The characters are well-developed, the fights are more over-the-top greatness, and most importantly it never loses sight of the story, something that Stardust Crusaders was guilty of. What keeps this series from being as great as Diamond is Unbreakable is that the storytelling kind of slumps towards the end as there was some lack of closure in the end, all while the character deaths could have been handled better. But in all, this show is something that goes far and beyond what the manga put out.

Galaxy Angel season 3 (14-26, specials): B-
                  This season is more of the same from the first two, but this one adds some new characters, and their impacts are greatly felt to make it the best season so far. Aside from that, it's on-par as the show pretty much hits or misses with the humor that varies by episode as the hits are nice, but the misses are just bland.

*Welcome to Japari Park (33-36): C

^When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace (1-12): B-
                  This show is a nice mixture of comedy and character development while trying to integrate superpowers into it. The show does a great job with the concept and a solid one with character development. That said, the story was weak and some important things didn't exactly get resolved. In all, it's an entertaining show that's nice on paper, but the execution isn't quite up to par with it.

Frankenstein Family (4-12): C-
                  This show has some nice concepts on paper, but overall the show suffers from subpar animation quality and a weak story. The show has nice characters and solid plot, but the storywriting just lacked the intensity it should have, all while the show's pacing lacked urgency seeing that the episodes are half-length. In all, it's a decent enough show in concept, but it could have been a whole lot more.

Rosario+Vampire (1-13): C-
                  This is a show that's all about fanservice and fighting as it runs rampant in this show. The show does a nice job with being amusing, but at the same time the weak plot and terrible storywriting just drags this show down by the wayside. As a guilty pleasure, it does the job, but this show would have been better served if it had some semblance of a story rather than being something designed to torment the MC and emphasizing the fights and fanservice.

Ongoing

[FCB-A] Future Card Buddyfight Ace (11-14)
                  [OPC] One Piece (586-587)
                  ^[UWM-I] Utawarerumono: The False Faces (1-13)

As a bonus here, I will give out grades to the rest of the Naruto series as reference to how I think about it.
                  Naruto (original series): B
                  Naruto Shippuden (through 300 episodes): B+
                  Naruto Movies: 1: C+, 2: D+, 3: C- (the original series movies were pretty forgettable for the most part)
                  Naruto Shippuden Movies: 1: B-, 2: C+, 3: B-, 4: B, 5: B (Shippuden movies are much better in general as it's evident that more effort was put into it)

Comment

I've sent these posts to a lot of friends in the past, but I'm pretty sure nobody reads them anymore, so I'm not going to bother spending a bunch of time writing about everything, but now that the season is over halfway over, I figured I should at least continue to keep some record of what I watched each season.

01. One Piece (A-)
                    02. Tian Guan Ci Fu (A-)
                    03. Haikyuu!!: To the Top 2nd Season (A-)
                    04. Jujutsu Kaisen (TV) (A-)
                    05. Detective Conan (B+)
                    06. Tonikaku Kawaii (B)
                    07. Love Live! Nijigasaki Gakuen School Idol Doukoukai (B)
                    08. Enen no Shouboutai: Ni no Shou (B)
                    09. Akudama Drive (B)
                    10. Yuukoku no Moriarty (B)
                    11. Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Raihousha-hen (B-)
                    12. Maoujou de Oyasumi (B-)
                    13. Osomatsu-san 3rd Season (B-)
                    14. Majo no Tabitabi (B-)
                    15. Kamisama ni Natta Hi (B-)

Dropped:

16. Hanyou no Yashahime: Sengoku Otogizoushi (C+) 6 episodes
                    17. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou (C+) 6 episodes

Weekly Schedule:

Sunday (1): Yuukoku no Moriarty
                    Monday (2): Maoujou de Oyasumi, Osomatsu-san 3rd Season
                    Tuesday (0):
                    Wednesday (0):
                    Thursday (1): Akudama Drive
                    Friday (5): Haikyuu!!: To the Top 2nd Season, Jujutsu Kaisen (TV), Tonikaku Kawaii, Enen no Shouboutai: Ni no Shou, Majo no Tabitabi
                    Saturday (6): One Piece, Tian Guan Ci Fu, Detective Conan, Love Live! Nijigasaki Gakuen School Idol Doukoukai, Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Raihousha-hen, Kamisama ni Natta Hi

Services:

Crunchyroll (8): One Piece, Haikyuu!!: To the Top 2nd Season, Jujutsu Kaisen (TV), Detective Conan, Tonikaku Kawaii, Love Live! Nijigasaki Gakuen School Idol Doukoukai, Enen no Shouboutai: Ni no Shou, Osomatsu-san 3rd Season
                    Funimation (7): Tian Guan Ci Fu, Akudama Drive, Yuukoku no Moriarty, Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Raihousha-hen, Maoujou de Oyasumi, Majo no Tabitabi, Kamisama ni Natta Hi

After a dead spring and a light summer, anime is definitely back in full swing, so no lack of content here. I've had to let a few of my shows go and a few more are at risk, though. The extremely unbalanced week is also back, with nearly everything on Friday and Saturday and absolutely nothing for two days straight. Crunchyroll and Funimation are much more evenly matched in terms of quantity than usual, and while Crunchyroll still has more for me, that's only due to preference, as Funimation also has a few of my Crunchyroll shows. Maybe Sony will consolidate the two, or at least go back to giving Crunchyroll all of the subbed simulcasts like during the days of their original partnership. At least it's been quite a while since I've had to go anywhere but those two services for simulcasts, although I do always have one Netflix show for their binge releases. Also interesting that my entire top 8 is on Friday or Saturday, and with a couple of exceptions, Crunchyroll has my top half and Funimation has my bottom half this season.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Fall 2020: Finalized Watchlist

I have now finalized my watchlist, and I'll just quickly list them for now an explain my reasoning later.

Watching
                      • Fire Force 2nd Season (continuing)
                      • A3! (continuing)
                      • Haikyu! to the Top (continuing)
                      • Golden Kamuy season 3
                      • The Irregular at Magic High School: Visitor Arc
                      • Is It Wrong to Try and Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? III
                      • Is the Order a Rabbit? Bloom
                      • Strike Witches: Road to Berlin
                      • Jujutsu Kaisen
                      • Tonikawa: Over the Moon For You
                      • Moriarty the Patriot
                      • The Day I Became a God
                      • Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina
                      • Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon
                      • Akudama Drive
                      • Warlords of Sigrdrifa
                      • The Gymnastics Samurai
                      • Higurashi: When They Cry Gou
                      • Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle
                      • Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World
                      • By the Grace of the Gods
                      • Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear
                      • Adachi and Shimamura
                      • Magatsu Wahrheit: Zuerst
                      • Grand Blues! (short)
                      • One Room 3rd Season (short)
                      • Rail Romanesque (short)
                      • With a Dog and a Cat, Everyday is Fun (short)
                      Last edited by Buckeye; 11-25-2020, 12:03 AM.

Comment

It's been a busy fall for me, so my watch schedule has been variable. Series I most want to pick up, yet still haven't: Wandering Witch.

Series I most look forward to each week and it's not even close: Tonikawa: Over the Moon For You. Easily an "A" series and the best CR Original series so far. This show resonates for me, being a long-time married guy, as this story of young love and the discovery of each other during marriage is true on so many levels, from romantic to comedic.

The Wanderer: Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki Season 5, ep. 4 has arrived on CR. OTOH, it's great to see some beloved characters who re-introduced me back to anime a long-time ago, including the offscreen implication that Tenchi finally got down and dirty with his harem. Satisfying your entire harem in one night? Well played, Tenchi, well played. However, the original cast takes the back seat to a lot of characters I have no connection to, since they exist solely in the realm of Kajishima's books and doujin (all of which should be considered canon at this point). I mean, I enjoyed GXP, but the last we saw of Seina Yamada, he was a high school student, now he looks like a scruffy adult, and that's not even talking about characters we've never met before.

The series continues to tell the prequel tale of how half-brother Kenshi was trained for his mission in TM! War on Geminar, (for example, showing how he was able to find edible food in the forest of an alien world). Such attention to detail is fun, but not as much fun as a full blown series, movies and more of what's been going on in the Ryo-Ohki realm since the end of GXP, etc. Season's 1-3 (and of course, GXP) of Ryo-Ohki all managed to tell a comprehensive and cohesive tale. New characters were properly introduced, connections easily made. This fell by the wayside somewhat in season 4, though the story was easily understandable (wedding prep, wedding and setting up Geminar), but new characters were introduced with no introduction or explanation. Season 5 just completely tosses cohesiveness out the window, with little time spent on issues that would matter to longtime fans (Sasami is now a young woman, for instance), with new characters and the transformation of familiar characters happening out of the blue.

This is the 4th episode of this OVA to come out this year, starting on February 28th. The final 2 episodes are scheduled for February 26 and May 28, 2021.
                        Last edited by General Hentai; 11-27-2020, 12:12 AM.
                        My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                        1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                        2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                        3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                        Widgets Magazine
                        Working...
                        X