X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring 2020 Wave, Listen to Me! Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    波よ聞いてくれ

A show about an ordinary woman who ends up becoming a radio talk show host after a chance encounter with a radio station worker while she was out drinking.

Airs: Friday, April 3, 2020

Studio: Sunrise

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Funimation

The stage is Sapporo, Hokkaido. One night, our heroine, Minare Koda, spills her heartbroken woes to a radio station worker she meets while out drinking one night. The next day, she hears a recording of her pitiful grumbling being played live over the air. Minare storms into the station in a rage, only to then be duped by the station director into doing an impromptu talk show explaining her harsh dialogue. With just one recording, the many eccentric facets of Minare's life begin to pull every which direction as she falls ever deeper into the world of radio.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Main, Ascendance of a Bookworm
    Watching: Gundam 00, Dorohedoro, Medaka Box, Golden Wind
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Bear in the woods.

So it begins with Minare doing a talk show ranting as if she was in out in the woods was fighting a bear. The way things went down inside the studio felt so real like she was actually there, but that was just her imagination at work. So after that opening teaser, it's all about setting the stage for Minare to go from waitress to a talk show host as she was drinking away and ranting about how Fukuoka men are worthless. But this all happened with a radio station employee recording all this and he discovers her talent for being a talk show host. And so, that rant gets broadcast and Minare is just so pissed off that she leaves work and drives over to the station all fuming, and trying to go after the guy who put the show on the airwaves. Minare's rants sure are great to listen to as she says some pretty funny things and in a way such that they pack some punch. That said, the story setup was kind of confusing, all while the animation is far from what Sunrise is capable of doing, but it's all about Minare's rants and Riho Sugiyama did a great job with it. I'm hoping that whoever gets cast as Minare is up to the test as it's going to be a demanding role to say the least.

As usual, trial period rules are in effect, and I'll wait and see after a few more episodes before deciding whether I want to continue to tune in or not.

Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

I found Minare to be over the top, but delightfully so. I thought her manic dialogs were quite funny. Now I don't know if that approach can carry the show for a whole cour, but it is a promising beginning.

Avatar: Tanya Degurechaff from Saga of Tanya the Evil

Comment

Episode 2

A new gig awaits.

As if it weren't bad enough that her rant was broadcast through all of Hokkaido, now customers know that it was her who said all those things that she only said because she was drunk. That's because the act of Minare running out as soon as she heard that brodcast was caught on camera and uploaded to the internet with the the radio guys knowing where she worked because she signed a contract on the back of her business card. So that's the end of her tenure as a waitress at Voyager, but she has another job all lined up and ready to go at the radio station once the festival is over three weeks later. And as a way to repay the restaurant, she's using the radio to promote them, which is a great deal for everybody seeing that she's much better suited to be in the booth, anyway. So after a first episode that was more about making Minare stand out and was confusing with the whole bear rant that actually happens a bit later, this one has a lot more clarity, and it's pretty hilarious to hear Minare talk once again.

Comment

Episode 3

Need a place to stay?

The festival has come and gone, and Minare is out of a job. As if she hasn't done enough damage, the last straw was that she advertised the food stall rather than the restaurant. So unable to pay rent, she is evicted and needs to find somewhere else to stay. It doesn't help that she's boozin' away and ending up in Oki's apartment every time she does. But she does have a new job and seeing that she is just an amateur with great potential that her radio show gets aired at 3:30am, which is not exactly ideal, but she's not looking to become the top dog at the station. And it's a great thing her assistant director Mizuho is willing to let her crash at her place as otherwise she's looking at camping inside a storage shed, which is not only uncomfortable, but also illegal. This show has continued to grow on me as this time, I see a different side of Minare. She was so full of herself in the beginning, but she just needed to be humbled a little bit.

Comment

Episode 4

Shell shocked.

Minare is preparing for her debut, but with the manager getting hospitalized after an accident that Nakahara takes over while he's away, and Minare is back working temporarily. The restaurant also gets another new employee, the sister of the guy who drove the car in that accident. And while things were going well at first, there's a troubling development as Makie and Nakahara are falling for each other. And to make matters worse, Minare is summoned to the radio station for her first gig not long after finding out about their affair. Things sure are getting rocky here, and Minare has so much on her mind right now. It will be interesting to see where this all leads to.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

I wonder what Makie is up to here. I can't believe that she is doing this simply to make amends for her brother's mistake. Gotta be more to the story. She is taking on more and more responsibility, but to what end? And she really seems to be coming on strong to Nakahara. Again, I suspect ulterior motives. We'll just have to see how things develop.

Minare, IMO, does not need Nakahara or any romance right now. Shoot, she said as much to Nakahara and I hope she sticks to it and doesn't get all insecure just because the other two seem to be getting involved. I really want to see her spread her wings as the radio gig is now finally becoming online. I can't wait to see her in action.

Comment

Episode 5

Drop the knife, not the mic.

The events leading up to Minare's debut were setting the stage for a massive failure, but it all turned out well. It certainly helps that Minare broke up with her ex-husband so that she knows the kind of emotion needed for this gig, and it was great. The show recreates the time when she broke up, but in a much more violent manner that in this fictitious account, Minare was going to stab her ex but backed out at the last second. While it was doomed to the late night hours, she did get some followers who ate at the restaurant she's still working at for now. Quite a nice way to bounce back.

So with that, this show has secured its place on my watchlist assuming it doesn't get delayed like many other shows this season are as after a slow start, this show is finding its groove and it has become a show that I eagerly await for each week now. While this show is still highly flawed, at least it's doing something great to make it worth watching.

Comment

Episode 6

She's got a cult following.

Things just turned totally bizarre here as Minare prepares herself to work on her second show. It's a good thing that she's still holding on to the waitress job for now seeing that she's not in the booth that much. Minare's dad sure gives her some strange advice there, but then it was that fax when all things spiraled out of whack there as it looked like a prank, but Minare knew that Oki was serious, and low and behold some occulting things were happening at his apartment with blood dripping from the ceiling and the smell of rotten flesh. Quite a turn of events that was.

Comment

Re: Episode 6

Yes that was certainly a bizarre turn of events as the ceiling started dripping. Nice to see the girls, while horrified and disgusted, do not act like typical horror movie girls and freak out. I am interested to see what Oki is up to. For some reason I think the answer will be more mundane (while still being revolting) than occult. I am hoping Minare solves the mystery and saves the day in her own unique way.

Given Minare's parents depiction, some of her personality traits are a bit more understandable. We also learn more about Nakahara and his relationship with Makie, and their relationships with their respective siblings. Like everything with this show, it is not straightforward and the outcomes are unpredictable.

Off the wall (er, no pun intended), yes, but I am still enjoying this show quite a bit.

Comment

Episode 7

It's mutton, not murder.

So to investigate what exactly is up, Minare goes into the attic and finds flies, and a bag attracting them that's apparently a dismembered corpse. She thinks that a murder has happened with Oki the primary suspect, but upon further review, it's actually rotten mutton inside, and it was Minare herself who put it there as she left it there in the floor storage bin and because of its weight, it ended up falling into the attic space. As for the blood, there's a leaky pipe in that area. So while Minare was at fault for this mess, it didn't help that the landlord didn't exactly maintain the place well with paper-thin flooring and pipes in need of servicing. Minare should have known better than to quickly jump to conclusions like that as it has gotten her into trouble time and again, but of course she's someone who acts out of emotion. I had a feeling something was amiss about all this, and it turns out it was just Minare being reckless, not Oki doing something as awful as murdering her girlfriend.

Comment

Re: Episode 7

Of course it was Minare who was the root cause by storing her fresh mutton in the floor. However you are also correct in that the pipes needed to be better maintained. I also believe Oki shares part of the blame by not complaining about the smell earlier. Also, what was with all those prayer strips all over the walls? Oki may not be a killer, but he sure is a strange guy. I mean, really, taking a girl to an area covered in toxic geothermal gases just to have a private conversation with her??

Comment

Episode 8

What's in a name?

That was quite a bizarre way to come up with her name Minare, which is the first syllable of her father's three ex-girlfriends Michiru, Natsuko, and Reiko. And so, the radio show from the first episode happens here, and while that's going on Makie decides that she wants to stay on working for that restaurant when Takarada returns on the job seeing that she's building a relationship with Nakahara. So after all that, the show goes well, but just when it looks like things were settling down, Minare's ex-boyfriend shows up. It's going to be quite interesting to see how Minare puts up with Mitsuo seeing that her breakup was quite ugly, albeit not as ugly as she describe it in her show.

Comment

Re:Episode 8

Nice to see Makie breaking out of the protective shell her brother put around her. Hopefully she and her relationship with Nakahara will continue to grow. Minare's and Mizuho's friendship is growing as well, and that is nice to see. Best part of course is that Minare continues to be Minare at her entertaining best.

Comment

Episode 9

Breaking up is hard to do.

Minare's ex Mitsuo shows up and it's pretty obvious why the two broke up as he's a liar, cheater, and someone who no woman should have any business falling in love with. He's a gambling addict spending the money Minare generously loaned him expecting him to use is for co-signing on horse race betting and losing it all. And he got half of it back through a rather suspicious way as some wealthy neighbor gave him stocks simply for helping him move in. So in the end, Minare lets Mitsuo keep the other half to get him to go away. That's so Minare there as her social life is just a mess, and a lot of the problems would go away if she just wised up a bit. That wrestling move on Mitsuo was nicely done to show that guy not to mess with someone who has rejected him.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X