X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buckeye
    replied
    Winter 2020: First Impressions

I meant to do this a couple of weeks ago, and stuff has been mostly figured out, but nevertheless I'm going through with this as a formality, and my initial rankings will be figured out. As always, tier names are all football references that indicate how close to the end zone it is, and closer to the end zone, the more likely it is to score a spot on my watchlist. Shows in the first tier are pretty much in barring an unexpected dropoff in the next episodes, shows in the last tier I have either already dropped or will soon barring an unexpected turnaround, and midfield it pretty much could go either way. Anyway, onto impressions that are based only on the first two episodes of each show listed.

Red Zone
    • Blade of the Immortal - Continuing from fall
    • Chihayafuru 3 - Continuing from fall
    • Fate/Grand Order: Absolute Demonic Front Babylonia - Continuing from fall
    • My Hero Academia season 4 - Continuing from fall
    • A Certain Scientific Railgun T - The Railgun series has easily been the best of the To Aru franchise as it's far more focused and the pacing is much more ideal than in the Index series, which just moves too fast and the MC is just feels too one-dimensional, while it's just too difficult to write a good story for Accelerator given his background. So far, this season taps into what made Railgun so great by letting things build up naturally rather than forcefully, and so far it's a huge improvement over the rush job that was season 3 of Index.
    • Haikyuu! To the Top! - While this is one of the weaker arcs in the story, it still does a nice job in making sure the characters sort out any identity crises before the upcoming tournament. Aside from that, it continues to do everything that made this show the golden standard in sports anime.
    • If My Favorite Pop Idol Made it to the Budokan, I Would Die - While idol shows are dime a dozen, this one is much different as it deals with the fandom aspect, and while it doesn't do everything right it does a lot of nice things to separate itself from the pack. The humor is nicely done, but above all it's all about fandom and it does a great job on focusing on that aspect.
    • Bofuri - This is one of the season's most pleasant surprises as while it prides itself on the gimmick of making a cute girl playing a game as a pure defensive tank, it does an excellent job in the most important aspects of the show, namely being all about the players and not trying to do too much as in this case, less is more.
    • Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! - Masaaki Yuasa does it again as it's his famous unorthodox style really carries this show in dramatizing of making anime. While the style of animation doesn't work for every show, it works like a charm in this one, and then some. Easily one of the season's best so far.
    • Magia Record - Asking this show to be just as great as the show that took the magical girl genre to places it has never been is too much of a task, but as its own series it does a solid job. While the story just doesn't leave as much of an impact, it's solidly written, all while it does an excellent job of not simply being a carbon copy of it's much more successful predecessor.
    • Smile Down the Runway - This show is all about two people with "impossible dreams" who are using each other to make it in the brutal world of fashion designing. Character development has already been tremendous so far, all while the storytelling has been on the mark. Just about the only issues are the animation and the approach to telling the story as those things have been choppy.
    • Somali and the Forest Spirit - This show feels just like If It's For My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord with the roles reverse, but the show does an excellent job in building bonds and presenting this show as a journey in life. The characters can get annoying at times, but for the most part it's all about teaching life lessons, and it has excelled at that.
    • Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun - This supernatural comedy has a standout art style that really enhances this show. That said, this show excels with great humor, a lovable cast of characters, and a well thought out approach that makes for this being one of the best new shows of the season. Not to mention, it's based off a well-received manga.
    • Isekai Quartet 2 (short) - The humor just continues to hit the spot and make this show very entertaining. While not having a big role in this so far, the Shield Hero characters add quite a lot of fun into this show.
    • Room Camp (short) - While it's disappointing that the show is under five minutes per episode, the characters continue to show why they are so great and lovable, all while it provides some useful facts here and there. It can't fill the void a second season or at least a half-length short can, but it will do for now.
    • Science Fell in Love, So I Tried to Prove It - This is easily the best comedy of the season as all those jokes of putting romance under a microscope and subjected to scientific research is just flat-out hilarious. It also helps that this show has such a lovable cast of characters, as well as doing it under a college setting (more specifically grad school) as a breath of fresh air from the overused high school setting.
    • Yatogame-chan Kansatsu Nikki season 2 (short) - Things pick up right where the first season left off with more jokes and trolling that's entertaining to watch for its short run length.

Midfield
    • 22/7 - Aside from the bizarre setting this show is in for which idols must obey the will of the wall, this is just like any other idol show in which there is singing, storytelling focused mainly on the center person, and adversity. At least the gimmick is nicely done, while the music and animation are solid, but this show just doesn't do much for the genre.
    • A3! - While I'm quick to brush bishounen entertainment shows intended for the fujoshi to the curb, at least this one is more technically sound than other shows of this genre. That said it still has the typical problems that shows like these tend to have with way too much focus on making the boys stand out, while the story just feels random.
    • Asteroid in Love - This is the typical cute girls doing cute things show with the twist being all about astronomy and earth science. It does what a show from this genre is supposed to do with not much standing out. Even so, it's still a fun time to be had.
    • The Case Files of Jeweler Richard - This show is mostly about self-discovery through discussion about jewels and while I enjoy the content involved, I feel that this is just going to be the same deal over and over again. Still, the mysteries are all well thought out for my tastes, so I'll at least give the show credit for that even if it's just going to be repetitive.
    • Darwin's Game - This show has been a nice dramafest and doing so in thrilling fashion. While this show has its issues, the thrill ride makes is worthwhile.
    • ID:Invaded - With Ei Aoki directing this show, big things were expected, and while there's a lot of stuff that is not easily understood or massively confusing, the show does a great job in making mysteries interesting, and that's the most important thing about a mystery show. While NAZ has a bad reputation, Troyca also helped out and it's making a big difference so far.
    • In/Spectre - This show has a pretty interesting mystery angle to things. It's one of the better mystery shows out there as the supernatural elements are nicely done to enhance this show's presentation.
    • Nekopara - This show is mainly a slice-of-life with cats posing as catgirls to help out as waitresses in the cafe. It's a cute concept that does the job at what it wants to be at the core, but at the same time the show has just been lackadaisical. At least it presents its gimmick well, so that makes it worthwhile, if nothing else.
    • Seton Academy: Join the Pack - This show is cute with the animal characters, and funny with all the antics and jokes this show has going on using real life facts about animals to propel this show. This show is fun, but at the same time sometimes this show goes way too over-the-top for its own good, all while the animation quality could have been better.
    • Show By Rock!! Mashumairesh!! - While this has Show By Rock!! attached to its name as this franchise is really popular in Japan, this show just lacks the charm of the original series. It does just about nothing outside the box to make itself stand out like the original series does, all while the characters are just not as interesting as the Plasmagica girls.

Own 20
    • ARP Backstage Pass - I came in to watch an anime. What I'm getting is a documentary and a rather dull and boring one at that. So it's an easy pass.
    • A Destructive God Sits Next to Me - This show has its moments and it's meant to be funny, but most of the jokes just miss the mark. Not to mention, the whole chunibyo craze just makes it another one of those shows that is just trying to cash in, and this show most definitely loses its luster pretty quickly.
    • Hatena Illusion - This is just one of those generic magical girl-like shows in which there's life at school, then a mission to steal something that's in the hands of the wrong owner, and lots of nonsensical things happening in the process. At least the character relationships are developing into something interesting, but for the most part it's an easy skip.
    • Infinite Dendrogram - The source material this show is based on is supposed to be great, but I just don't see it at all in this show. NAZ has a pretty bad reputation, and their incompetence is on full display here as whatever story it's trying to tell, it's doing a poor job at it, all while they made the lead female so annoying. At least it's getting the basics down and the effort is better than what NAZ usually puts out. But nevertheless, that's not a good thing.
    • Interspecies Reviewers - This show just isn't for me as heavy duty ecchi shows like this turn me off. That said, at the very least it's better than most shows of this kind as the show's daring nature is well-done. But in the end it's not my cup of tea (and with the recent news, that pretty much eliminates any chance it had).
    • Number 24 - This show is simpy a fujoshifest first, and a sports anime second. In this case, a distant second, which makes a huge difference. At least it's better than Try Knights as the inexplicable and inappropriate use of CG did that show in early, but that isn't saying much.
    • Oda Cinnamon Nobunaga - It's a creative concept at the very least instead of gender bending the Sengoku period warlords, portraying them as dogs in the modern world makes for some amusing moments. Unfortunately, this show just gets stale quickly and doesn't really do anything with the show's gimmick.
    • Pet - This is one of the most confusing anime I have come across recently as I'm having a hard time trying to make sense of what is going on with this show. At least the concept is creative, but the execution just leaves my head scratching.
    • Plunderer - Seeing that it's by the same guy who did Heaven's Lost Property, there are just plenty of things that don't appeal to me in this show. The concept of having numbers determining a person's worthiness and leverage is an interesting idea, but this show gets ruined by bland characters, shoddy plot construction, and a lack of any standout qualities.
    • Sorcerous Stabber Orphen - While I haven't watched the original series, this show certainly does miss the mark as the storytelling is all sorts of garbage, especially since it wavers so frequently in focus that I can't get a good feel of the important things.
    • Uchitama?! Have You Seen My Tama? - While this show is cute and a creative way to retell a show about neighborhood dogs and cats as people when the pet owners are away, this show just reeks of repetition and it gets stale very quickly.

Back then, I had several decisions to make, but I have made most of them. To keep things short, I'm still deciding on five shows in which three of them will make the cut: Nekopara, Jeweler Richard, Asteroid in Love, 22/7, and ID:Invaded. While it was a tough decision between equally unimpressive shows in A3! and Seton Academy for the lone Monday show, A3!'s broadcast getting suspended pretty much made the decision easy.

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Post-simulcast Report: December 16-31

Alright, I meant to post this quite some time ago, but I forgot to do it. I was writing it and thought I had put it up, but upon doing my simulcast reviews, it just slipped out of my mind that I didn't put this up. I was watching lots of movies and one-off stuff.

Completed

*Kemono Michi: Rise Up!: C+

*Days of Urashimasakaten: D

*After School Dice Club: B-

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress: Unato Decisive Battle (movie): A-
    This movie picks up right where the TV series left off after a six month time skip, and that was a well-utilized time skip as it put that whole mess that the second half was into the rear view mirror. The show was mostly storytelling and not as much action, which works out quite well given where the show is at, and most importantly, it does not force anything unlike the TV series. Things flow much better and the storytelling is much more natural, all while there's a sympathy angle that was done a whole lot better this time around. While it's a huge improvement over the second half of the TV series, the show didn't do the best of jobs with the ending as it wasn't clear what happens in the end, all while the buildup felt a little bit rushed. Nevertheless, it's a worthy follow-up.

*Null and Peta: C

Love, Chunibyo, and Other Delusions: Rikka Version (movie): B-
    This is a recap of the first season, but it's one worth watching as Rikka has some interesting angles, all while the show has some meaningful added footage, especially at the end. For a recap episode, it does a great job of being more than just a recap.

Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms (movie): A
    This show is all about growing up in a difficult world, especially when mother and son are not only not blood-related, but from different races, The show's story is simply amazing and well-constructed, all while the animation is gorgeous and the plot is so full of intrigue. But above all, this show does an excellent job in maintaining focus and achieving what it sets itself out to do.

*Fairy Gone: C

*Africa Salaryman: C-

^Erased (4-12): A+
    This show has it all with great drama, a well-constructed story, and substantial character development to go along with great animation, soundtrack, and direction. The mystery has so many layers, and the episodes mostly ending in cliffhangers had me eagerly anticipating the next episode. Just about the only thing not so good with this show is the writing towards the ending as it made some pretty questionable decisions. Nevertheless on technical merit, this show has it all.

Love, Chunibyo, and Other Delusions: Take on Me (movie): B+
    This movie gets back to doing what made the first season so great as it tells a nice story while all of these crazy things happens. The lack of a story in the second season left a sour taste, but the movie does a great job in picking up the upwards progression that had disappeared in the second season, and doing a solid job in building relationships. That said, this movie did have its issues in that the characters remain the same in one way I was most definitely it would change, all while this chase, while amusing, just dragged. But in the end, it was another great piece of artwork to look at.

*Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?!: C+

*Bananya and the Curious Bunch: C+

Strike Witches: 501st Joint Fighter Wing, Take Off! (special): D+

*Oresuki: B

*Ascendance of a Bookworm: B+

*Stars Align: B+

*Granblue Fantasy season 2: B-

*Food Wars! The Fourth Plate: A-

*Fire Force: B

*Cautious Hero: This Hero is Overpowered but Overly Cautious: B

*We Never Learn season 2: B-

*Kono Oto Tomare! Sounds of Life: A-

*Vinland Saga: A+

The Disastrous Life of Saiki K: Final Arc: B+
    This is a more serious way to follow things up with Saiki getting himself into some pretty serious situations, and it does a great job trying to be more serious in the storytelling without getting away from what it had been doing so well. It puts a nice cap on the series.

Kyo Kara Maoh! (47-78): B+
    This show does a great job with character building and storywriting as it made for a show that combines a lot of flashy elements and utilizes them well. The show especially excels with the humor and in particular, knowing when to use it and when not to. And then there's the story that's mostly well-written and has a goal in mind that it achieves in the end. That said, this show has some a couple of major issues with the first being the animation quality, and even by 2003 standards, it looked pretty sloppy. And the much bigger issue is the pacing as there were lots of side-stories and stuff that just didn't add to the show making the pacing much slower than it needed to be, and those were not exactly pleasant to watch. Nevertheless, this show is definitely worthwhile.

Fate/Grand Order: Moonlight/Lostroom (special): D+
    This is pretty much just something those who have played the game up through the final singularity of the first part of the game are going to appreciate. Lots of talking, spoilers, and a preview of things to come with the game transitioning into the second part of the game, which is all just a waste of time for those who haven't played the game.

Carole and Tuesday (13-24): A-
    This is another great show from Shinichiro Watanabe that pretty much borrows from his other work in Kids on the Slope, and the show excels with music, animation, and character development, all while the show has a great story and solid drama. Just about the only big issues with this show are the plot seeing that it doesn't quite stick the landing in the end, and the pacing as it moved just a tad too slow. Nevertheless, it's a nice show putting Watanabe's greatness on display.

Ongoing

[KMF-J] Welcome to Japari Park (21-24)

Final episode of 2019: Aria the Animation ep. 13

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Fall 2019 Simulcast Reviews

Thanks to some shows getting delayed past the end of the year that I decided to hold off on doing any simulcast reviews. Rifle is Beautiful, Babylon, and Azur Lane should have aired in the winter season given the progress that was made on their shows in an already highly crowded season, but they pushed their products to the fall season and somehow the TV networks accommodated all of them. Anyway, while Azur Lane is still going on, it won't finish until March so I'll go ahead and wrap up the season right here and now with Babylon completed. It has been awhile since I last did one of these seeing that I was too sidetracked to do it for the past few seasons. As always, I separated them by completed and ongoing (and Azur Lane will be placed in the latter thanks to delays it encountered trying to push this show to the fall season, as well as Ascendance of a Bookworm since it's continuing after taking a season off). For the completed section, they are sorted by order they were finished and for the ongoing section, they are in alphabetical order by localized name. The completed shows, I'm essentially copying and pasting what I said in my final review in the show threads edited to remove spoilers and names and other stuff specific to the show.

Completed

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These Second: B+
    This series picks up nicely where the TV series left off and does a better job with character development as it tells a more focused story. But above all, it gives the two leads equal focus whereas the first season was heavily skewed, which allows for better storytelling. That said, it feels like this season was more overreliant on narration, all while with its limited runtime compared to the original series that the storytelling wasn't as comprehensive and impactful as it could be. But in the end, it does a great job in retelling the story in keeping the core essence of what made the original series so great, and doing so with better animation quality.

Psycho-Pass 3: B
    While this season is a great improvement over the second season, it still a far cry from the masterpiece that the first season is. While having Production I.G back made a difference, unfortunately Gen Urobochi didn't have any involvement in this season, and it shows as it simply is a back-and-forth chess match rather than the nihilistic things that made the first season great. Anyway, this show has a great story, intriguing characters, intense action, and a nicely done mystery angle with twists and turns. That said, this show has issues with the biggest being the use of double-length episodes as it felt too comprehensive for it to work, all while there are just parts of the show that just felt weak or confusing with the storytelling. In all, it gets back to doing what made Psycho-Pass great with a solid story concept this time around, but with storytelling that could have been improved.

Dr. Stone: A-
    Simply put, this show is very smart, one with a great setting and using real scientific facts to make this show go. Then there are the characters that are fun and amusing. So while the show does a great job with the task at hand, this show's pacing was kind of slow and kind of spends too much time with sidetracks and other stuff instead of advancing the plot. Nevertheless, it's a fun show to watch that does everything it puts its focus on really well without cutting any corners.

Kemono Michi: Rise Up!: C+
    This show had its highlights and it was fun to watch for the concept, the characters, and the comedy. That said, this show has a ton of issues with the animation quality, the pacing, and biggest of all the storywriting that had way too many sidetracks that it totally broke the momentum of the story it had going for it. While it was a nice and fun show to watch, it's not memorable by any stretch with the construction of the show's story.

Days of Urashimasakaten: D
    This show is just the standard short with bad animation and quick humor that's mostly bearable because of its short length. While most of the episodes were silly and very unremarkable, some of the episodes were quite entertaining making it worthwhile to spend a few minutes each week watching. The humor was acceptable for a short, though most of it was bland and boring.

After School Dice Club: B-
    As one of the season's most pleasant surprises, this show does an excellent job in utilizing board games to teach life lessons. While the show had great storywriting, the show's composition is another thing entirely as it gets repetitive and follows essentially the same basic formula with a different guest character each episode. That said, the episodes change enough things to keep from getting too stale, and the character development is done pretty well for a slice of life show like this. In all, it's a very satisfying show, but one that might not be for everybody.

Null and Peta: C
    While this short has all the typical good and bad qualities of being a short, it does so in an entertaining way. The craziness is amusing, but what sets this apart from most shorts is that there's a story and an air of mystery that made for an intriguing few minutes to spend on. That said, there was too much repetitiveness and things that didn't flow smoothly even by standards for a short.

Fairy Gone: C
    The technical side of things is great as to be expected out of P.A. Works. However, the storywriting and plot are another story entirely as it was just a mess, especially in the first half. While it was cleaned up in the second half, the damage done by the poor first half prevents the superior second half from reaching its full potential. The animation is great, the soundtrack is one of the best this season, the action is well-animated, and the characters have decent development. But on the flipside, poor pacing plagues this show way down as the first half moved way too slow, leading to a second half that was rushed. Above all, the story was so hard to follow, though the much-needed break fixed that in the second half that made for something to look forward to.

Africa Salaryman: C-
    To sum things up, this show would have been better suited for being a short as while the humor is excellent and the characters are amusing, the decision to make episodes full-length just made it hard to watch as half-length episodes would have been much more ideal. And the worst part of this show is definitely the animation quality as it was too much of an eye sore that it detracted from the great things this show brought to the table. This show would be a bazillion times better if the episodes were half-length and the animation is at least halfway decent as it feels like this show was just trying to prolong things to make episodes full-length.

Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?!: C+
    This show was enjoyable for the characters, comedy, and plot concept as this has everything that one who likes these kinds of shows can enjoy. However, this show has some pretty big flaws in the animation quality (though one of Project No. 9's better jobs) and the way it emphasized the silliness while rushing through the more serious and developmental parts of this show. That said, this show does get credit for not being afraid to admit that it's using cliches. So in all, this show has what it takes to be satisfying, but at the same time there were plenty of missed opportunities for this show to truly be great.

Bananya and the Curious Bunch: C+
    This season changes things up drastically instead narrating the story in the Bananyas home planet with a new narrator. Aside from that, it's more of the same with cute characters and amusing narration to help the show go.

Oresuki: B
    This show does a nice job of being a very different kind of rom-com combining drama elements into it. Above all, making the MC more of a background characters and not being afraid to admit that it's silly adds to the enjoyment of this show. And on top of that, characters relationships are built nicely in unorthodox ways to add to the show's greatness. That said, this show's biggest problems are the pacing and the amount of sidetracking that it kind of renders the main premise moot. In all, it's greatly enjoyable, though with some storywriting issues.

Stars Align: B+
    This show does a great job with being much more than a sports show that focuses more on family drama than anything. The drama was well-executed, while the sport was used well to compare and contrast the life of the boys. This goes along with great animation and a stunning soundtrack. While it does a lot of the major aspects well, the one major issue this show has is that it tries to bite on more than it could chew with so many characters and backstories that couldn't be reasonably addressed in just one cour leaving to some of the characters being underdeveloped and some big things unresolved, though that can be explained by the fact that this was only the first half of what is planned to be a two-cour show that hopefully gets a sequel someday.

Granblue Fantasy season 2: B-

Food Wars! The Fourth Plate: A-

This season continues to do just about everything that made this show great, but it's a step down from first three seasons. The cooking action, character development, and plot all continue to be top notch, but the storytelling dragged seeing that it is seemingly only about the cooking battles this season and there's not much story involved aside from these battles. In any case, it accomplished what it needed with the way the third season ended.

Fire Force: B
    Overall, this show certainly was enjoyable for the action, animation, and the characters. While the plot is all well and good, the storywriting had issues as there was just too much emphasis on the things that shouldn't matter as much as they did. There was just so much tenativeness in the storywriting, part of it was due to the KyoAni tragedy, Some story arcs were nicely done while others, not so much. This is a show that just failed to reach its full potential, but even so it's entertaining to watch for the art style, if nothing else.

Cautious Hero: This Hero is Overpowered but Overly Cautious: B
    This show got off to a rough start as it appeared to be stupid, cliched, and without much of a purpose. But as the series progresses, the show greatly improves with solid character development and creative ways to bring caution into the wind. The crazy antics and unorthodox nature of the show made for something that's worth watching. On the flip side, the show's biggest problem is the incoherence of the story as some of it served a greater purpose for the story, while some of it was just there not really doing much. In all, it's a greatly enjoyable show once the initial shock of the premise wears off.

We Never Learn season 2: B-
    This show is great for the comedy, characters, and premise, but at the same time this show really dragged on the storyline, while the comedy is inconsistent. While the comedy was great in the first season, the story seemed to take a back seat for most of the season opting to do lots of random humor. The story then took a step up in the second season, but the comedy took a step down. And of course, there's that huge skip that just didn't feel right. But nevertheless, it's still an enjoyable show that does a solid enough job with the story, while doing an excellent job with the comedy.

Kono Oto Tomare! Sounds of Life: A-
    This has some of the best character development out there. But what especially stood out was the attention put to the supporting cast outside the club as most other shows of this type would simply skip out on them. And the drama and music are the main things this show is great about. On the flipside, the show got off to a rough start with tentative storywriting and things just not firing on all cylinders, all while the animation was off the mark with a no-name studio doing this. But the show improved greatly as the show progresses. In all, this show puts together one of the best stories out there of the season.

Vinland Saga: A+
    This show is one of the best of the year with a combination of great animation, a strong story, solid action, and a well-constructed plot. Above all, the show does a great job with character development for the characters that the directors decide to develop. Just about the only gripe is the slow pacing of the MC's character development, but that's something that can be solved with a sequel, all while the show did an excellent job developing the supporting cast, and then some. In any case, this show is definitely worth watching for all the technical and storywriting merits.

Rifle is Beautiful: C
    This is a show that's made for those who love cute girls doing cute things shows, but it doesn't offer much beyond its intended audience. The characters, artwork, and soundtrack are the highlights of this show as those things are what make this show watchable. As for the problems this show has, the biggest one is the plot and pacing as even for a 4-koma, it just rushes through things and moves way too fast leaving a lot that should have been elaborated on without much depth to it. Also, this show just has way too many sidetracks and jokes tend to be repetitive to the point where it feels like nothing is going to change. So to sum things up, it's only worthwhile for those who live for these kinds of shows.

Babylon: B-
    This show gets off to a great start with a well-constructed drama and mystery aspect, as well as establishing the two most important characters on opposite ends of the morality spectrum. All of this is nicely complemented with solid animation and a good soundtrack. However, things start to go downhill with the third arc as while it was rushed, the biggest fault was that there wasn't sufficient leadup built entering into this arc. Not to mention, the inexplicable lack of clarity with the ending spoiled what had been a great show. In all, the mystery, drama, and character development were all well-done, but the storytelling fell off the cliffs towards the end with a rushed and poorly constructed story to end things.

Ongoing

Ascendance of a Bookworm: B+ (continuing in spring)
    This show got off to a rough start with the plot seemingly going around in circles, but as the show progresses, the situation gets more serious and that's when the show really takes off. From there, character development takes a great upturn, all while it does a great job in not relying on the show's gimmick to tell a fulfilling story.

Azur Lane: C- (finishing in March)
    The show is all about action with just about no story whatsoever. That said, whatever the show focuses on it does well as the action is great, while the character interactions are pretty amusing. On the flipside, the show's animation is subpar being done by a no-name studio, all while there's just no story to speak of that would have made it a whole lot better as it was a grind getting through all the parts in which it focuses on life on the base.

Blade of the Immortal: B
    This show is another attempt to adapt a well-received, but very long manga series and because of its length compromises had to be made. That said, this show has solid animation, a soundtrack that captures the essence of this show well, action that animates the bloodshed in all its glory to the point that it's too violent for TV, and a story that captures several of the important aspects as it does a solid job in selectively adapting the highlights of the manga. But when all is said and done, the manga is still by far the better option as adapting the whole thing in just two cours just isn't doing justice for this work.

Chihayafuru 3: A
    After six long years since the second season ended, the story continues, and it does an excellent job picking up right where it left off. But above all, it shows that there are other far more important things in life than karuta, and in spite of that the characters are hard at work improving their game. This season continues to do what it has done well, and that is character development, drama, and storytelling and while pacing is still an issue, things move a bit faster in this season.

Fate/Grand Order: Absolute Demonic Battlefront Babylonia: B+
    The story in the game is most well-written of the singularities, and it shows in the anime adaptation as it could have easily just skimped out and make this something to advertise the game. But thankfully, that's not the case here as it does an excellent job in being faithful to the game telling an intuitive story with dramatic twists and turns, all while doing so with some great animation and characters even more lively when brought to life.

My Hero Academia season 4: A+
    This season features the Shie Hassaikai arc for the fall season, and it is one of the most intense story arcs in the manga. This arc is well-written and well-paced as it flows nicely and animates great action when the situation calls for it. It continues to do everything great that My Hero Academia is known for.

No Guns Life: C+ (continuing in spring)
    This show starts off with a bang as the animation is great, the story is so full of intrigue, and the action is the best part of the show up to this point. But after a strong first arc, the show tanks in the second arc with an overly complicated story that was could have been told much better, all while the third arc at least does a nice job of keeping things simple and not trying to do too much. In all, it's a show that certainly had great potential and while a good amount of it gets squandered, it's still entertaining and hopefully the second half will improve in the areas the first half didn't do so well.

Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld: B+ (continuing in spring)
    Alicization continues with the War of Underworld arc that's mostly about the action and the buildup as it focuses mainly on Alice as she's taking charge of things. This cour is very slow-paced, but the payoff is tremendous in the end with great action and a nice way to reintroduce the characters from the previous two seasons. This sets the table for what should be a great finish to Alicization.

So that's my simulcast review of the season. I also forgot to post my final post-simulcast report for 2019, but I have it mostly written and I forgot that I hadn't posted it yet.

Leave a comment:

• GingaDaiuchuu
    replied
    My Top Anime mentioned throughout this post is updated at the time of this posting and linked in my signature.

Top 10 Anime of 2019:

01. Kimetsu no Yaiba My #13 anime of all time.
    02. Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 My #16 anime of all time.
    03. Vinland Saga My #24 anime of all time.
    04. Mob Psycho 100 II My #25 anime of all time.
    05. Yakusoku no Neverland My #36 anime of all time.
    06. Boku no Hero Academia 4th Season My #75 anime of all time.
    07. Rilakkuma to Kaoru-san My #90 anime of all time.
    08. Fate/stay night Movie: Heaven's Feel - II. Lost Butterfly My #91 anime of all time.
    09. Weathering with You
    10. Dr. Stone

I really thought I'd be able to see all the anime that would have a chance of making this list, but unfortunately, Aniplex's theatrical run of Seishun Buta Yarou wa Yumemiru Shoujo no Yume wo Minai didn't make it to my area. And even in the realm of TV series simulcasts, Netflix's archaic moratoriums keeps me from being able to watch any of Beastars in the year it fully aired. Still, this is probably the year with the least of those likely contenders, and I'm pretty confident that my top 5 wouldn't be touched by either of those.

Fortunately, while 2019 was the worst year in the history of anime because of the tragedy that befell the industry, the actual anime being released was top-notch, as seen by how many all-time high-ranking titles are up there. This is especially welcome coming off of 2018, which was easily the weakest year for new anime in a long time. What's even more exciting is that, while 2018's few great additions were mostly just new seasons of already great series, most of this year's top 5 is brand-new, while the exceptions both demolished any expectations that could've been set based on previous seasons.

But as much as I love ranking the best of a year, this time we also get to look back on an entire decade...

Top 10 Anime of the 2010s:

01. Steins;Gate My #2 anime of all time.
    02. Hunter x Hunter (2011) My #3 anime of all time.
    03. Your Name. My #6 anime of all time.
    04. Gintama° My #8 anime of all time.
    05. Gintama' My #9 anime of all time.
    06. Koe no Katachi My #10 anime of all time.
    07. Mushishi Zoku Shou My #11 anime of all time.
    08. Kimetsu no Yaiba My #13 anime of all time.
    09. Gintama': Enchousen My #15 anime of all time.
    10. Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 My #16 anime of all time.

Looking at the quality of a decade is a little harder, at least for me, maybe because I generally gravitate toward newer material to the point that most of my top anime of all time appear to be from this past decade. My relationship with anime and my analytical capability have deepened substantially in the 2010s compared to the 2000s, so I can't really predict how likely it is that each decade going forward will transform my top anime list in the same way, assuming I'm still obsessing over ranking foreign cartoons from given time periods as I grow much older.

Still, I don't think it's biased to say that it was an incredible decade for the medium. In years leading up to it, there was something notable every now and then, but once the unmatched Spring 2011 season hit, there was basically never a time where there wasn't something amazing airing, so I'd say that the vast majority of the decade, right up to the present, has been something of a golden age.

And since I'm me, I've thought of some more excuses to rank things. First up is my ranking of each year of the 2010s:

01. 2017
    02. 2019
    03. 2011
    04. 2014
    05. 2016
    06. 2015
    07. 2013
    08. 2012
    09. 2018
    10. 2010

As I alluded to, the first year of the decade was the surprisingly barren exception before everything took off and never looked back. Additionally, while my top 2 years both being within the last three does indicate a certain level of recency bias, the fact that the one in between them is second only to the year with virtually no new series of note shows how poorly I think of 2018's output, even just a year after it ended.

At the end of last year, I ranked my overall top 10 seasons, but I figured the end of the 2010s would be a good excuse to rank the top 10 of that decade specifically:

01. Spring 2011
    02. Spring 2014
    03. Spring 2019
    04. Winter 2019
    05. Summer 2017
    06. Winter 2017
    07. Fall 2014
    08. Fall 2015
    09. Fall 2011
    10. Spring 2015

If nothing else, no amount of recency bias is likely to cause the nearly nine-year-old Spring 2011 season to be dethroned without an unimaginably mind-blowing slate.

Look forward to further discussions of specific anime on my list in the next two episodes of Fandom Post Radio (see links in my signature)!

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Fall 2019 Simulcast Rankings: December

And now, I do my December simulcast rankings now that the season, for the most part, is over. Thanks to inexplicable delays that made me wonder why these shows didn't get bumped to the winter season or later given how crowded the fall season was, Rifle is Beautiful, Babylon, and Azur Lane won't be finished up until January or later, and for that matter Kandagawa Jet Girls, but I gave up on that show a long time ago. There were quite a lot of recap episodes, but everything else wrapped up before the end of the year either because they had an extra week or an extra timeslot was allotted. And in the case of Babylon, the entire final arc still hasn't been released. In any case, the book is closed on the year, which means I'll be doing my final simulcast rankings for the season. Since I didn't do one for November that the changes reflect that compared to its standing in October.

Touchdown
    Vinland Saga
    Chihayafuru 3
    My Hero Academia season 4
    Kono Oto Tomare! (Promoted)
    Dr. Stone
    Food Wars! The Fourth Plate

Field Goal
    Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These Second
    Ascendance of a Bookworm (Promoted)
    Fate/Grand Order: Absolute Demonic Front Babylonia
    Stars Align (Demoted)
    Oresuki
    Babylon

Sword Art Online: Alicization War of Underworld
    Cautious Hero (Promoted)
    Psycho-Pass 3
    Fire Force
    Blade of the Immortal (Promoted)

First Down
    We Never Learn! season 2
    Granblue Fantasy season 2
    Fairy Gone
    After School Dice Club
    Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?!
    No Guns Life (Demoted)
    Bananya and the Curious Bunch
    Kemono Michi: Rise Up!

Punt
    Rifle is Beautiful
    Null and Peta
    Azur Lane
    Africa Salaryman (Promoted)

Fumble
    Days of Urashimasakaten

Rising

Kono Oto Tomare! - The first half had its ups and downs, but the second half is just a thing of beauty. Character development was just unbelievable and it would have been even better if had been animated by a more reputable studio rather than this no-name studio. And the music does great justice in supporting this growth.

Ascendance of a Bookworm - After a rough start in which it was mostly about the MC trying and failing to produce writing material to fulfill her desire to read, the show finds its footing once a serious arises leading to some great character development and a well-written story that made the manga so great. That has me very excited for this show when it continues in the spring.

Cautious Hero - This is another show that didn't start off on the right foot, but once the show settles into a groove, things took off, especially with the final arc when things became serious, but still managed to do so without straying too far from its identity. I appeared to be stupid and repetitive at first, but in the end it became another great fantasy show this season.

Falling

No Guns Life - After a strong first arc, things just dropped off a cliff in the second arc with overly complex storywriting that was too difficult to understand, all while it introduced characters that didn't exactly fit into the story given the stuff that happened. At least the third arc improved on that, but still a far cry from the first arc that convinced me to stick with this show.

Stars Align - It's rare that an episode has a big influence on my rankings, but the final episode of this show did just that, and more specifically the second half of that episode. That just came out of nowhere and turned what should have been a feel-good ending into something that's the opposite of that. At least Kazuki Akane came out to explain that this was the result of a show that was made to be two cours long was suddenly cut to just one cour. Not to take away from the rest of the show that's simply amazing, but that's what's keeping it from masterpiece status. Hopefully a sequel can come to finish what Akane started.

Kemono Michi: Rise Up! - This show had been up and down, but ultimately it was trending downward just when it appeared to have found its footing. Too many sidetracks took away from the story and turned it into a big missed opportunity for a show that could have been something really special.

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Fall 2019 Simulcast Rankings: October

Alright, I totally slacked off and didn't do one of these for October or November, but I'm going back to do one for October since I want to know where the shows stack up against each other that were ultimately dropped. So I'll use the time machine to the best of my ability and see where the shows stand after Oct. 31 seeing that I was quite distracted, but by life and the fact that this season is the most crowded I have ever seen with not only more shows, but with three non-TV shows to boot on top of that. As this is the fall season, football terminology will be used for this season and the winter. I will also get to my December one soon after this. As a reminder, shows in black are locked into my watchlist, shows in red are dropped, and shows in blue I haven't decided whether or not I wanted to watch the show as of Oct. 31, and the rankings reflect the quality of the content shown during the fall months only.

Touchdown
    Vinland Saga
    Chihayafuru 3
    Food Wars! The Fourth Plate
    Dr. Stone
    Stars Align

Field Goal
    Psycho-Pass 3
    Sword Art Online: Alicization War of Underworld
    Babylon
    Kono Oto Tomare!
    No Guns Life
    Oresuki
    Fire Force

First Down
    Blade of the Immortal
    We Never Learn! season 2
    Ascendance of a Bookworm
    Fairy Gone
    Ahiru no Sora
    Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun

After School Dice Club
    Bananya and the Curious Bunch
    Cautious Hero

Punt
    Rifle is Beautiful
    Kabukicho Sherlock
    Null and Peta
    Overdrive Dreamer Boys
    True Cooking Master Boy

Azur Lane
    Assassins Pride
    High School Prodigies Have It Easy Even in Another World

Special 7: Special Crime Investigation Unit

Fumble
    Africa Salaryman
    Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode Oracle
    Stand My Heroes: Piece of Truth

Days of Urashimasakaten
    Actors: Songs Connection
    Z/X Code Reunion
    Val x Love
    Kandagawa Jet Girls

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Fall 2019: Finalized Watchlist

Alright, it has been long past the time I was supposed to have posted this, but I went through the thread and just realized now that I have yet to do this. Some shows are already finished, but nevertheless here is my final watchlist. I had a decision to make for my final show between Kemono Michi and Cautious Hero, but because of the delay that's happening with Babylon that I decided to keep watching both shows (Kemono Michi would have been the odd show out had that opening not happened). Anyway, I'll skip the explanation this time around since the season's almost over. With a whopping 14 continuing shows and sequels this season (usually there are 6-10 such shows) that it leaves me with not much wiggle room, so I decnded to make a permanent change in policy in that there will be at least 10 new shows on my watchlist

Watching
    • Dr. Stone (continuing)
    • Fire Force (continuing)
    • Vinland Saga (continuing)
    • Fairy Gone (continuing from spring)
    • Kono Oto Tomare! (continuing from spring)
    • Chihayafuru 3
    • Fate/Grand Order: Absolute Demonic Front Babylonia
    • Food Wars! The Fourth Plate
    • Granblue Fantasy season 2
    • Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These Second
    • My Hero Academia season 4
    • Psycho-Pass 3
    • Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld
    • We Never Learn season 2
    • Africa Salaryman
    • After School Dice Club
    • Ascendance of a Bookworm
    • Azur Lane
    • Babylon
    • Blade of the Immortal
    • Cautious Hero: This Hero is Overpowered, but Overly Cautious
    • Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life!?
    • Kemono Michi: Rise Up!
    • No Guns Life
    • Oresuki
    • Rifle is Beautiful
    • Stars Align
    • Bananya and the Curious Bunch (short)
    • Days of Urashimasakaten (short)
    • Null and Peta (short)
    Dropped
    • Actors: Songs Connection
    • Ahiru no Sora
    • Assasins Pride
    • High School Prodigies Have it Easy Even in Another World
    • Kabukicho Sherlock
    • Kandagawa Jet Girls
    • Outburst Dreamer Boys
    • Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode Oracle
    • Special 7: Special Crime Investigation Unit
    • Stand My Heroes: Piece of Truth
    • True Cooking Master Boy
    • Val x Love
    • Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun
    • Z/X Code Reunion

Sorting things by Day of the Week:

Sunday (4): Rifle is Beautiful, Fairy Gone, Vinland Saga, Africa Salaryman
    Monday (3/2): Babylon, Average Abilities, Bananya
    Tuesday (1): Chihayafuru 3
    Wednesday (7/6): Kemono Michi, Cautious Hero, Blade of the Immortal, Oresuki, Bookworm, Dice Club, Urashimasakaten
    Thursday (5): Azur Lane, No Guns Life, Stars Align, Psycho-Pass, Legend of the Galactic Heroes
    Friday (5/4): Dr. Stone, Granblue Fantasy, Food Wars!, Fire Force, Null and Peta
    Saturday (5): My Hero Academia, FGO, SAO, We Never Learn, Kono Oto Tomare!

Quite a lot of shows, but I found a way to get them all in by reducing my post-simulcast load. I'm hoping I can cut back next season seeing that there were just so many sequels this season, and so many shows that shouldn't have aired this season because of production issues like Babylon and Azur Lane. And then there are the movies and ONAs that add to the load.

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Post-simulcast Report: December 1-15

Onto my next post-simulcast report. I promise to get the backlog stuff by the end of this weekend. It's about that time of the season again when shows are finishing up and I remind you that I don't write reviews for those in these reports and they are simply listed. And also, there's an OVA to an anime series and I don't write reviews for that, either. Anyway, onto the second-to-last post-simulcast report of 2019.

Completed

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime OVA (1): B

Levius: B
    While this show appears to be another Megalo Box on the surface, the only similarity is the use of cybernetic equipment to fight. The show has a very solid story as it deals with personal issues, as well as hinting towards a huge conspiracy in regards to a massacre. The show starts off slowly, but it gets better as it progresses going to put the MC's courage on display, as well as him changing the outlook of his opponents for the better. While I usually don't have a high opinion of CG usage, in this case it was a very appropriate choice as it was a great fit for the setting.

Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel II. Lost Butterfly (movie): A+
    The second movie in this trilogy picks up nicely where the first movie left off as after focusing mostly on action and setup, this one focuses more on relationships and the plot twists are especially well-done. Even more so was Sakura's character development given everything that happened in the first movie. And of course, Ufotable delivers once again with stunning animation that they are known for with the soundtrack being another great one. It does it's job, and then some setting the stage for the final movie of this trilogy.

Haruka Nogizaka's Secret (9-12): C+
    This show is all about the characters are they carry this show, especially the lead female. It has a fun atmosphere and is a satisfying show for those who are into harems. It has solid jokes and a decent plot. That said, this show has numerous problems with the cliched storywriting being the biggest one. On top of that, this show has mediocre animation quality, plot twists that feel all too convenient, and fanservice that feels too forced. But in the grand scheme of things, the characters carry this show.

*Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These Second (simulcast, review coming later): B+

*Dr. Stone (simulcast): A-

Kengan Ashura (15-24): B-
    This season pretty much continues the tournament giving great detail to every match, and while it makes for some interesting character backgrounds and fights, at the same time it meant dragging the story. That said, most of the character stories are interesting, all while the drama in the fights pack quite a punch, but it tends to get repetitive and the CG animation was hit or miss.

Haruka Nogizaka's Secret Purezza (1-12): C+
    This season is more of the same as the first, and while it does some things better, it also does some things worse to counteract it. This season, the animation quality is better, the character development is done better, and the new characters make a lasting impression. But unfortunately it is hindered by subpar storywriting and it's overreliance cliches and convenient plot twists that was acceptable for the first season, but starting to get annoying in the second season. Aside from that, this season maintains the same positives and negatives in tha the characters and harem events are nicely done, while the story could have been better written.

Ongoing
    [KKM] Kyo Kara Maoh! (47-48)

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Post-simulcast Report: November 16-30

Here's my next post-simulcast report. I am backlogged, but I plan to get it all done this by this weekend. After this, there's the first half of December that I plan to get to in due time. I still haven't done my first leader board of the month, but I will skip November's and just go straight to December, though with the number of delays going on in the season that the standings won't be final. Anyway, onto the late November report as this one is pretty short seeing that I'm watching a bazillion or so simulcasts this season, and not to mention I watched two two-cour shows all while there's quite a lot of football to be watched.

Completed

^Record of Grancrest War (9-24): C+
    This show was just disappointing as the storytelling is rushed and very hard to follow as there were too many things that felt way too disjoint to make sense of. That said, this show is technically sound with nice animation, a great soundtrack, solid action, and interesting characters. With better storywriting, this show would have been far more worthwhile, but this show was greatly hindered by the fact that 24 episodes was not really enough to get a good story out of it.

^Snow White with the Red Hair (1-24): B+
    The characters are what carry this show more than anything. Along with the great characters, there's nice animation typical of Bones, an inviting atmosphere, and solid development. While sound on the technical side, the storywriting had one major issues in that there is too much fillerish content that I felt didn't contribute anything to this show. While that content wasn't bad, the fact that it came at the price of leaving some of the important characters underdeveloped is why it's not quite in the upper eschelon of shows. But nevertheless, it's a great show to watch for the MC's willpower and how she's taking charge of matters rather than becoming a damsel in distress.

Ongoing

[HNS] Haruka Nogizaka's Secret (1-8)
    [ICM] Isekai Cheat Magician (1-2)
    [KGA-2] Kengan Ashura (13-14)
    [TAB] To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts (1-2)

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Post-simulcast Report: November 1-15

I'll get to doing my first leader board and finishing my first impressions soon as I have been sidetracked by so many things in life, but before that, here is my latest post-simulcast report seeing that with this season being so crowded that it means fewer post-simulcast stuff to watch. This is quick to do unlike the other aforementioned things, and I want to get this in before the history disappears on MAL (or at least, make it much harder to find).

Aggrestsuko Season 2 (1-10): B+
    This is a fun way to follow up the first season of this show as more characters are introduced, and nice humor really makes this show go. This season is an improvement over the first as the addition of the new characters really helps the season go when it could have easily resorted to recycling jokes and other stuff that would make this season stale. So once more, great characters and humor really helps this show go.

^Saga of Tanya the Evil: B+
    This show doesn't get off to the best of starts, but once the show's premise is established, things really take off. This show does a great job in portraying the MC as a person who will go to great lengths to be evil in order to survive, and that's put on display in a big way. Just about the only major problem this show has is the plot progression as I didn't feel that the show took the best approach possible, but in the grand scheme of things the storytelling and action really carry this show through.

Konosuba: Legend of Crimson (movie): A-
    This movie is everything you could possibly ask for in a follow-up feature the Konosuba TV series, and it is amazing. While Aqua and Darkness had their moment in the TV series, the focus here is on Megumin as there are quite a lot of layers to her personality that are better captured as a movie. And then the cinematic fight at the end was something that couldn't have been done as a TV series as well. But above all, this movie has better animation quality than the TV series having been done at J.C. Staff rather than Deen, who did a solid job but didn't bring out the artwork to its full potential. In all, if you enjoyed the TV series, watching the movie is an absolute must.

Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team (1-12): B+
    This is one of the earlier MSG shwos, and while the artwork is dwarfed by today's standards, it's excellent for its time. This show is the very essence of what Gundam is all about, but on a much smaller scale as it has a much smaller cast and a more focused storyline, something that makes it much easier to follow than a usual Gundam series. That said, the series isn't perfect as the storytelling kind of loses its touch towards the end, all while the story construction leaves some minor plot holes, but overall it's worthy entry in the early Gundam franchise.

Ongoing

^[RGW] Record of Grancrest War (1-8)

I'm continuing to work through my BD backlog, but I had to finish up my Hulu bucket list as my subscription at the promotional rate from last year's Black Friday deal was about to end. There are still a couple of things, but that's something I'll worry about for another day.

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Post-simulcast Report: October 16-31

Things have been hectic the past few weeks, but things should be dying down a bit as between attending football games and stuff, I haven't been keeping up on my post-simulcast reports. Here's the second one for the season, and another one will be due shortly. It includes one show from the summer season that I followed the simuldub for, and I have yet to write my final reviews for those summer season shows. In any case, I have quite a lot of catching up to do, and I'm not exactly sure if I'm going to get to all of it, but I'll try and do so. Thanks to the season being loaded with a bazillion shows that it also means that my post-simulcast reports won't be as long as they usually are as I only needed to write two reviews this time around. Another one, though, it just on the horizon and there will be more than two.

Completed

Million Arthur Special: C+

*Fairy Tail Final Series: A-

^Full Metal Panic: Invisible Victory (1-12, 4.5, 8.5): B
    This show continues to do what the other FMP series before it do, but it just wasn't over-the-top as them. The show has a good story, great action, interesting characters, and a well-executed drama to its strengths, but on the flipside this season is season is lacking. The plot just drags on too slowly leading to an incomplete conclusion, the animation isn't as strong, and there were just too many cringeworthy decisions made during the Namsac arc. In all, it continues to feed off its core strengths with the characters, storytelling, action, and drama, but plot construction, pacing, and animation are all major issues that keep it from reaching the full potential the previous seasons did.

Ghost Hound (1-22): B-
    This show does all the supernatural aspects well, and has an intriguing mystery on top of that. The animation is nicely done, all while the characters all have intriguing personalities. However, this show is lacking in clarity as things are not explained very well all while the plot is full of holes for the majority of the series. It's a show that will take a lot of focus to get through seeing that there are just too many things going on to make sense of everything. Even so, the supernatural elements are simply great.

Ongoing

[MSG-08] Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team (1-2)

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Fall 2019: First Impressions

Alright, it's quite far into the season thanks largely to some shows getting a late start, and thanks to Amazon's screwy search engine that I didn't get to start Psycho-Pass until now. In any case, I have already decided which shows make the cut and which shows are not for all but a few, but I'll categorize like I usually do into three categories based on how likely they are going to make the cut after two episodes, and the sorting is in alphabetical order once again. For now, I'll just list them and I'll fill in the rest a bit later.

Red Zone
    Dr. Stone - Continuing from summer
    Fire Force - Continuing from summer
    Vinland Saga - Continuing from summer
    Fairy Gone - Split-cour continuing from spring
    Kono Oto Tomare! - Split-cour continuing from spring

Chihayafuru 3
    Psycho-Pass 3
    We Never Learn season 2

Babylon
    Blade of the Immortal
    No Guns Life
    Oresuki
    Bananya and the Curious Bunch (short)
    Days of Urashimasakatasen (short)
    Null Peta (short)

Midfield
    Africa Salaryman
    After School Dice Club
    Ahiru no Sora
    Ascendance of a Bookworm
    Assassins Pride
    Azur Lane
    Cautious Hero: This Hero is Overpowered but Overly Cautious
    High School Prodigies Have it Easy Even in Another World
    Kabukicho Sherlock
    Rifle is Beautiful
    Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun

Own 20
    Kandagawa Jet Girls
    Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode Oracle
    Outburst Dreamer Boys
    True Cooking Master Boy
    Val x Love
    Z/X Code Reunion

Leave a comment:

• GingaDaiuchuu
    replied
    Fall 2019 First Impressions

Well, it's 11:55, so I probably shouldn't attempt to write anything about the first month of the final season of the 2010s, but I'll have plenty of retrospectives in two months, for the season, the year, and the decade. Needless to say, this final season is off to an underwhelming first third to say the least, with only Chihayafuru 3 really living up to its potential and very little in the way of promising new properties. At least I still have Vinland Saga, it has been a very strong year overall, and I sure hope HeroAca will shoot to the top by the end of its new season, preferably within its first cour. As for why it took a full month for me to make this list, not only was Psycho-Pass 3 a very late start (with Chihayafuru 3 nearly as late), Amazon likely didn't post it on time, and it took until the second episode was out for people to realize that the series was actually listed, just without a space before the 3 so it was impossible to find. So typical Amazon.

New For Fall 2019:

01. Chihayafuru 3 (A-)
    02. Boku no Hero Academia 4th Season (B+)
    03. Shokugeki no Souma: Shin no Sara (B)
    04. Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld (B)
    05. Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia (B)
    06. Ore wo Suki nano wa Omae dake ka yo (B)
    07. Hoshiai no Sora (B)
    08. Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These Second (B)
    09. Psycho-Pass 3 (B)
    10. Babylon (B-)
    11. Ahiru no Sora (B-)
    12. Mairimashita! Iruma-kun (B-)

Dropped:

13. Mugen no Juunin: Immortal (C+) 5 episodes
    14. Shinchou Yuusha: Kono Yuusha ga Ore Tueee Kuse ni Shinchou Sugiru (C+) 3 episodes
    15. No Guns Life (C+) 3 episodes
    16. Azur Lane (C) 1 episode

Everything I'm Watching:

01. Vinland Saga (A)
    02. Wan pîsu (A-)
    03. Chihayafuru 3 (A-)
    04. Detective Conan (B+)
    05. Dr. Stone (B+)
    06. Boku no Hero Academia 4th Season (B+)
    07. Diamond no Ace: Act II (B+)
    08. Shokugeki no Souma: Shin no Sara (B)
    09. Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld (B)
    10. Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia (B)
    11. Ore wo Suki nano wa Omae dake ka yo (B)
    12. Hoshiai no Sora (B)
    13. Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These Second (B)
    14. Psycho-Pass 3 (B)
    15. Babylon (B-)
    16. Enen no Shouboutai (B-)
    17. Ahiru no Sora (B-)
    18. Mairimashita! Iruma-kun (B-)

Dropped:

19. Mugen no Juunin: Immortal (C+) 5 episodes
    20. Shinchou Yuusha: Kono Yuusha ga Ore Tueee Kuse ni Shinchou Sugiru (C+) 3 episodes
    21. No Guns Life (C+) 3 episodes
    22. Azur Lane (C) 1 episode

Weekly Schedule:

Sunday (1): Vinland Saga
    Monday (1): Babylon
    Tuesday (2): Chihayafuru 3, Diamond no Ace: Act II
    Wednesday (2): Ore wo Suki nano wa Omae dake ka yo, Ahiru no Sora
    Thursday (3): Hoshiai no Sora, Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These Second, Psycho-Pass 3
    Friday (3): Dr. Stone, Shokugeki no Souma: Shin no Sara, Enen no Shouboutai
    Saturday (6): Wan pîsu, Detective Conan, Boku no Hero Academia 4th Season, Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld, Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia, Mairimashita! Iruma-kun

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Post-simulcast Report: October 1-15

Alright, I have been slacking with my post-simulcast reports as I still haven't done one for the end of September, and I'm already due to write the second one for this season. That said, I'm going to do this one before getting to the one before and after this as it has been quite a busy time.

Completed

Rascal Does Not Dream of Dreaming Girl (Movie): A+
    This movie is a great follow-up to the TV series as the biggest emotional turmoil was saved for this that probably wouldn't have worked out as a TV series. The same things that made the TV series a masterpiece carry over into the movie with great drama, character development, animation, and storywriting. But above all, this show goes to the extreme and does it just about as perfectly as it could possibly do it.

Black Fox (movie): B
    This movie has plenty of things going for it with great characters, amazing action, nice animation, and solid drama. That said, this show just has a weak and cliched story that's just passable. Anyway, the show ended up being a nice movie to watch and the ending sets the stage for big things to go down, hopefully resulting in a TV series or a second movie at the very least.

Dragon Ball Super (127-131): B+
    This show picks up right where DBZ Kai ends with better animation quality and pacing that's just right. This show thrives on what made DBZ great with well-developed characters, top-notch action, nice storytelling, and great character development. The show does a great job with introducing new characters, especially with the tournament arc in the end. That said, this show does a few things worse than DBZ in that there are a bunch of cringeworthy moments and too much plot convenience that waters down the storytelling quality. But in all, it's a satisfying continuation for a show that ended several years ago.

Miss Caretaker of Sunohara-sou (11-12): C-
    It's obvious that this show is meant to be a guilty pleasure as the animation quality is bad, the fanservicey stuff is overkill, and there's just not much of a story to speak of. That said, this show has interesting characters, well-utilized fanservice, and does a decent job with character development given the format of the show. In all, the characters and jokes are what salvage an otherwise unremarkable show.

Gate (1-24): B+
    This show has a great concept of having a military army establishing a new order in a fantasy world. The characters are great, the animation is excellent as typical for an A-1 show, the drama is well-executed, and the show makes great use of its story concept. That said, the story could have been written better as it felt like watching two different shows between the first and second half with pacing on the slow side. But in all, it's a great two-way isekai show that does just about everything right to make for an entertaining show.

Mitsuboshi Colors (1-12): B-
    This is a fun and satisfying cute girls doing cute things show. There's just a whole lot of nicely-written amusement with a colorful cast of girls, and with the jokes being mixed up nicely so that it doesn't get repetitive. The show is nothing groundbreaking, all while the show's plot is very weak, but in the grand scheme of things it accomplishes what the show sets out to do.

Ongoing

[GHD] Ghost Hound (1-5)
    [KKM] Kyo Kara Maoh! (40-44)

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Simulcast Interest Levels for Fall 2019

As usual, I am starting things off with my simulcast interest list. Once again, here are the tiers for how likely I will watch certain shows this season using NFL injury report statuses to categorize the shows:
    • IN: It's on the watchlist no matter what. This mostly applies to continuing shows and sequels.
    • PROBABLE: I'm checking out, and it has a very good chance of making the cut. I have dropped shows in this category in the past, so it's not automatic.
    • QUESTIONABLE: I'm checking out, and impressions will dictate its fate. Pretty much, it's for shows I have moderate interest in at the beginning.
    • DOUBTFUL: I may or may not check it out, and if I do, it must really impress me in order to make the cut.
    • OUT: I'm not bothering with it at all.
    So it's onto assessment with the usual three-letter abbreviations for the shows entering the season. Several shows have moved up or down since then, but this is a road map as to what interests me and what doesn't.

IN
    [DRS] Dr. Stone (continuing)
    [EES] Fire Force (continuing)
    [VLS] Vinland Saga (continuing)
    [FGN] Fairy Gone (continuing from spring)
    [KOT] Kono Oto Tomare! Sounds of Life (continuing from spring)
    [CHF-3] Chihayafuru 3
    [FSN-GB] Fate/Grand Order: Absolute Demonic Front Babylonia
    [SHS-4] Food Wars! The Fourth Plate
    [GBF-2] Granblue Fantasy season 2
    [LGH-N2] Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These Second
    [MHA-4] My Hero Academia season 4
    [PSP-3] Psycho-Pass 3
    [WNL-2] We Never Learn season 2
    [BNY-2] Bananya and the Curious Bunch (short)

PROBABLE
    [HZG] Ascendance of a Bookworm
    [MJN-I] Blade of the Immortal
    [NGL] No Guns Life
    [RIB] Rifle is Beautiful
    [USS] Days of Urashimasakatasen (short)

QUESTIONABLE
    [AOW] Africa Salaryman
    [HSC] After School Dice Club
    [AHS] Ahiru no Sora
    [ASP] Assassins Pride
    [AZL] Azur Lane
    [BYL] Babylon
    [TUE] Cautious Hero: This Hero is Overpowered but Overly Cautious
    [WNH] Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?!
    [CYY] High School Prodigies Have it Easy Even in Another World
    [KCS] Kabokicho Sherlock
    [KMI] Kemono Michi: Rise Up!
    [ORS] Oresuki
    [SP7] Special 7: Special Crime Investigation Unit
    [HAS] Stars Align
    [IRK] Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun
    [NLP] Null and Peta (short)

DOUBTFUL
    [ACT] Actors: Songs Connection
    [BES] Beastars
    [HSG-2] Hi Score Girl II
    [KJG] Kandagawa Jet Girls
    [CGB] Outburst Dreamer Boys
    [PSO-EO] Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode Oracle
    [7DS-3] Seven Deadly Sins: Wrath of the Gods
    [SMH] Stand My Heroes: Piece of Truth
    [CIB] True Cooking Master Boy
    [VXL] Val x Love
    [ZEX-CR] Z/X Code Reunion
    [THY] Tenka Hyakken

OUT
    Gundam Build Divers Re:Rise
    Radiant Season 2
    Taeko's Everyday Life
    Zoids Wild Zero

Seeing that there are a ton of sequels and continuing shows that I decided to expand my watchlist limit for this season only. For most seasons, there are about 6-10 such shows, but this season there are 14. I want to have room for at least 10 new shows, so I'm looking at a watchlist of about 24 standard-length shows.

Leave a comment:

Widgets Magazine
Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
Widgets Magazine
Working...
X