Currently Watching (Fall 2019 Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter 2020: First Impressions

I meant to do this a couple of weeks ago, and stuff has been mostly figured out, but nevertheless I'm going through with this as a formality, and my initial rankings will be figured out. As always, tier names are all football references that indicate how close to the end zone it is, and closer to the end zone, the more likely it is to score a spot on my watchlist. Shows in the first tier are pretty much in barring an unexpected dropoff in the next episodes, shows in the last tier I have either already dropped or will soon barring an unexpected turnaround, and midfield it pretty much could go either way. Anyway, onto impressions that are based only on the first two episodes of each show listed.

Red Zone
    • Blade of the Immortal - Continuing from fall
    • Chihayafuru 3 - Continuing from fall
    • Fate/Grand Order: Absolute Demonic Front Babylonia - Continuing from fall
    • My Hero Academia season 4 - Continuing from fall
    • A Certain Scientific Railgun T - The Railgun series has easily been the best of the To Aru franchise as it's far more focused and the pacing is much more ideal than in the Index series, which just moves too fast and the MC is just feels too one-dimensional, while it's just too difficult to write a good story for Accelerator given his background. So far, this season taps into what made Railgun so great by letting things build up naturally rather than forcefully, and so far it's a huge improvement over the rush job that was season 3 of Index.
    • Haikyuu! To the Top! - While this is one of the weaker arcs in the story, it still does a nice job in making sure the characters sort out any identity crises before the upcoming tournament. Aside from that, it continues to do everything that made this show the golden standard in sports anime.
    • If My Favorite Pop Idol Made it to the Budokan, I Would Die - While idol shows are dime a dozen, this one is much different as it deals with the fandom aspect, and while it doesn't do everything right it does a lot of nice things to separate itself from the pack. The humor is nicely done, but above all it's all about fandom and it does a great job on focusing on that aspect.
    • Bofuri - This is one of the season's most pleasant surprises as while it prides itself on the gimmick of making a cute girl playing a game as a pure defensive tank, it does an excellent job in the most important aspects of the show, namely being all about the players and not trying to do too much as in this case, less is more.
    • Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! - Masaaki Yuasa does it again as it's his famous unorthodox style really carries this show in dramatizing of making anime. While the style of animation doesn't work for every show, it works like a charm in this one, and then some. Easily one of the season's best so far.
    • Magia Record - Asking this show to be just as great as the show that took the magical girl genre to places it has never been is too much of a task, but as its own series it does a solid job. While the story just doesn't leave as much of an impact, it's solidly written, all while it does an excellent job of not simply being a carbon copy of it's much more successful predecessor.
    • Smile Down the Runway - This show is all about two people with "impossible dreams" who are using each other to make it in the brutal world of fashion designing. Character development has already been tremendous so far, all while the storytelling has been on the mark. Just about the only issues are the animation and the approach to telling the story as those things have been choppy.
    • Somali and the Forest Spirit - This show feels just like If It's For My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord with the roles reverse, but the show does an excellent job in building bonds and presenting this show as a journey in life. The characters can get annoying at times, but for the most part it's all about teaching life lessons, and it has excelled at that.
    • Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun - This supernatural comedy has a standout art style that really enhances this show. That said, this show excels with great humor, a lovable cast of characters, and a well thought out approach that makes for this being one of the best new shows of the season. Not to mention, it's based off a well-received manga.
    • Isekai Quartet 2 (short) - The humor just continues to hit the spot and make this show very entertaining. While not having a big role in this so far, the Shield Hero characters add quite a lot of fun into this show.
    • Room Camp (short) - While it's disappointing that the show is under five minutes per episode, the characters continue to show why they are so great and lovable, all while it provides some useful facts here and there. It can't fill the void a second season or at least a half-length short can, but it will do for now.
    • Science Fell in Love, So I Tried to Prove It - This is easily the best comedy of the season as all those jokes of putting romance under a microscope and subjected to scientific research is just flat-out hilarious. It also helps that this show has such a lovable cast of characters, as well as doing it under a college setting (more specifically grad school) as a breath of fresh air from the overused high school setting.
    • Yatogame-chan Kansatsu Nikki season 2 (short) - Things pick up right where the first season left off with more jokes and trolling that's entertaining to watch for its short run length.

Midfield
    • 22/7 - Aside from the bizarre setting this show is in for which idols must obey the will of the wall, this is just like any other idol show in which there is singing, storytelling focused mainly on the center person, and adversity. At least the gimmick is nicely done, while the music and animation are solid, but this show just doesn't do much for the genre.
    • A3! - While I'm quick to brush bishounen entertainment shows intended for the fujoshi to the curb, at least this one is more technically sound than other shows of this genre. That said it still has the typical problems that shows like these tend to have with way too much focus on making the boys stand out, while the story just feels random.
    • Asteroid in Love - This is the typical cute girls doing cute things show with the twist being all about astronomy and earth science. It does what a show from this genre is supposed to do with not much standing out. Even so, it's still a fun time to be had.
    • The Case Files of Jeweler Richard - This show is mostly about self-discovery through discussion about jewels and while I enjoy the content involved, I feel that this is just going to be the same deal over and over again. Still, the mysteries are all well thought out for my tastes, so I'll at least give the show credit for that even if it's just going to be repetitive.
    • Darwin's Game - This show has been a nice dramafest and doing so in thrilling fashion. While this show has its issues, the thrill ride makes is worthwhile.
    • ID:Invaded - With Ei Aoki directing this show, big things were expected, and while there's a lot of stuff that is not easily understood or massively confusing, the show does a great job in making mysteries interesting, and that's the most important thing about a mystery show. While NAZ has a bad reputation, Troyca also helped out and it's making a big difference so far.
    • In/Spectre - This show has a pretty interesting mystery angle to things. It's one of the better mystery shows out there as the supernatural elements are nicely done to enhance this show's presentation.
    • Nekopara - This show is mainly a slice-of-life with cats posing as catgirls to help out as waitresses in the cafe. It's a cute concept that does the job at what it wants to be at the core, but at the same time the show has just been lackadaisical. At least it presents its gimmick well, so that makes it worthwhile, if nothing else.
    • Seton Academy: Join the Pack - This show is cute with the animal characters, and funny with all the antics and jokes this show has going on using real life facts about animals to propel this show. This show is fun, but at the same time sometimes this show goes way too over-the-top for its own good, all while the animation quality could have been better.
    • Show By Rock!! Mashumairesh!! - While this has Show By Rock!! attached to its name as this franchise is really popular in Japan, this show just lacks the charm of the original series. It does just about nothing outside the box to make itself stand out like the original series does, all while the characters are just not as interesting as the Plasmagica girls.

Own 20
    • ARP Backstage Pass - I came in to watch an anime. What I'm getting is a documentary and a rather dull and boring one at that. So it's an easy pass.
    • A Destructive God Sits Next to Me - This show has its moments and it's meant to be funny, but most of the jokes just miss the mark. Not to mention, the whole chunibyo craze just makes it another one of those shows that is just trying to cash in, and this show most definitely loses its luster pretty quickly.
    • Hatena Illusion - This is just one of those generic magical girl-like shows in which there's life at school, then a mission to steal something that's in the hands of the wrong owner, and lots of nonsensical things happening in the process. At least the character relationships are developing into something interesting, but for the most part it's an easy skip.
    • Infinite Dendrogram - The source material this show is based on is supposed to be great, but I just don't see it at all in this show. NAZ has a pretty bad reputation, and their incompetence is on full display here as whatever story it's trying to tell, it's doing a poor job at it, all while they made the lead female so annoying. At least it's getting the basics down and the effort is better than what NAZ usually puts out. But nevertheless, that's not a good thing.
    • Interspecies Reviewers - This show just isn't for me as heavy duty ecchi shows like this turn me off. That said, at the very least it's better than most shows of this kind as the show's daring nature is well-done. But in the end it's not my cup of tea (and with the recent news, that pretty much eliminates any chance it had).
    • Number 24 - This show is simpy a fujoshifest first, and a sports anime second. In this case, a distant second, which makes a huge difference. At least it's better than Try Knights as the inexplicable and inappropriate use of CG did that show in early, but that isn't saying much.
    • Oda Cinnamon Nobunaga - It's a creative concept at the very least instead of gender bending the Sengoku period warlords, portraying them as dogs in the modern world makes for some amusing moments. Unfortunately, this show just gets stale quickly and doesn't really do anything with the show's gimmick.
    • Pet - This is one of the most confusing anime I have come across recently as I'm having a hard time trying to make sense of what is going on with this show. At least the concept is creative, but the execution just leaves my head scratching.
    • Plunderer - Seeing that it's by the same guy who did Heaven's Lost Property, there are just plenty of things that don't appeal to me in this show. The concept of having numbers determining a person's worthiness and leverage is an interesting idea, but this show gets ruined by bland characters, shoddy plot construction, and a lack of any standout qualities.
    • Sorcerous Stabber Orphen - While I haven't watched the original series, this show certainly does miss the mark as the storytelling is all sorts of garbage, especially since it wavers so frequently in focus that I can't get a good feel of the important things.
    • Uchitama?! Have You Seen My Tama? - While this show is cute and a creative way to retell a show about neighborhood dogs and cats as people when the pet owners are away, this show just reeks of repetition and it gets stale very quickly.

Back then, I had several decisions to make, but I have made most of them. To keep things short, I'm still deciding on five shows in which three of them will make the cut: Nekopara, Jeweler Richard, Asteroid in Love, 22/7, and ID:Invaded. While it was a tough decision between equally unimpressive shows in A3! and Seton Academy for the lone Monday show, A3!'s broadcast getting suspended pretty much made the decision easy.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Main, Ascendance of a Bookworm
    Watching: Gundam 00, Dorohedoro, Medaka Box, Golden Wind
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Widgets Magazine
    Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
    Widgets Magazine
    Working...
    X