Widgets Magazine

Currently Watching (Fall 2019 Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2019] Currently Watching (Fall 2019 Edition)

Widgets Magazine
    Just like that, temps are falling, but the anime lineup is heating up like never before as the fall season lineup has supersized. This season is so full of sequels and even with that, there's a ton of completely new stuff. As such, it's time to create the next one of these threads to talk about what's happening this season as far as the anime you're watching for your viewing pleasure.

The link to the Summer 2019 Edition
    Fall 2019 Anime Chart
    Fall 2019 Anime Lineup Thread

Note
    - Change the title of your post to reflect the contents.
    - Do not use the Reply to Thread button; instead, click quote on the post you wish to reply to, or on this post if you're starting a new subthread.
    - Edit down the quoted section to the relevant bits, nobody needs to read someone's epic list of watched stuff twice.
    - Be nice to one another.
    - Please discuss only what you are watching this season in this thread. Stuff watched during other seasons should be discussed in their respective threads.

Also, I'd like to add the following. The Currently Watching Thread is mainly meant for a general overview of how you're currently feeling about shows. It is not supposed to be a replacement for actual discussion threads. Try to keep heavier discussion (if possible) in the more specific discussion threads.

In addition, try to be careful of spoilers here. It's one thing if it's properly tagged and such. However, I don't want people to have to worry about someone randomly posting "Wow, X died in episode 17 of Y". Just a randomly made up example, but you get the idea.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Simulcast Interest Levels for Fall 2019

As usual, I am starting things off with my simulcast interest list. Once again, here are the tiers for how likely I will watch certain shows this season using NFL injury report statuses to categorize the shows:
    • IN: It's on the watchlist no matter what. This mostly applies to continuing shows and sequels.
    • PROBABLE: I'm checking out, and it has a very good chance of making the cut. I have dropped shows in this category in the past, so it's not automatic.
    • QUESTIONABLE: I'm checking out, and impressions will dictate its fate. Pretty much, it's for shows I have moderate interest in at the beginning.
    • DOUBTFUL: I may or may not check it out, and if I do, it must really impress me in order to make the cut.
    • OUT: I'm not bothering with it at all.
    So it's onto assessment with the usual three-letter abbreviations for the shows entering the season. Several shows have moved up or down since then, but this is a road map as to what interests me and what doesn't.

IN
    [DRS] Dr. Stone (continuing)
    [EES] Fire Force (continuing)
    [VLS] Vinland Saga (continuing)
    [FGN] Fairy Gone (continuing from spring)
    [KOT] Kono Oto Tomare! Sounds of Life (continuing from spring)
    [CHF-3] Chihayafuru 3
    [FSN-GB] Fate/Grand Order: Absolute Demonic Front Babylonia
    [SHS-4] Food Wars! The Fourth Plate
    [GBF-2] Granblue Fantasy season 2
    [LGH-N2] Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These Second
    [MHA-4] My Hero Academia season 4
    [PSP-3] Psycho-Pass 3
    [WNL-2] We Never Learn season 2
    [BNY-2] Bananya and the Curious Bunch (short)

PROBABLE
    [HZG] Ascendance of a Bookworm
    [MJN-I] Blade of the Immortal
    [NGL] No Guns Life
    [RIB] Rifle is Beautiful
    [USS] Days of Urashimasakatasen (short)

QUESTIONABLE
    [AOW] Africa Salaryman
    [HSC] After School Dice Club
    [AHS] Ahiru no Sora
    [ASP] Assassins Pride
    [AZL] Azur Lane
    [BYL] Babylon
    [TUE] Cautious Hero: This Hero is Overpowered but Overly Cautious
    [WNH] Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?!
    [CYY] High School Prodigies Have it Easy Even in Another World
    [KCS] Kabokicho Sherlock
    [KMI] Kemono Michi: Rise Up!
    [ORS] Oresuki
    [SP7] Special 7: Special Crime Investigation Unit
    [HAS] Stars Align
    [IRK] Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun
    [NLP] Null and Peta (short)

DOUBTFUL
    [ACT] Actors: Songs Connection
    [BES] Beastars
    [HSG-2] Hi Score Girl II
    [KJG] Kandagawa Jet Girls
    [CGB] Outburst Dreamer Boys
    [PSO-EO] Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode Oracle
    [7DS-3] Seven Deadly Sins: Wrath of the Gods
    [SMH] Stand My Heroes: Piece of Truth
    [CIB] True Cooking Master Boy
    [VXL] Val x Love
    [ZEX-CR] Z/X Code Reunion
    [THY] Tenka Hyakken

OUT
    Gundam Build Divers Re:Rise
    Radiant Season 2
    Taeko's Everyday Life
    Zoids Wild Zero

Seeing that there are a ton of sequels and continuing shows that I decided to expand my watchlist limit for this season only. For most seasons, there are about 6-10 such shows, but this season there are 14. I want to have room for at least 10 new shows, so I'm looking at a watchlist of about 24 standard-length shows.
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Post-simulcast Report: October 1-15

Alright, I have been slacking with my post-simulcast reports as I still haven't done one for the end of September, and I'm already due to write the second one for this season. That said, I'm going to do this one before getting to the one before and after this as it has been quite a busy time.

Completed

Rascal Does Not Dream of Dreaming Girl (Movie): A+
      This movie is a great follow-up to the TV series as the biggest emotional turmoil was saved for this that probably wouldn't have worked out as a TV series. The same things that made the TV series a masterpiece carry over into the movie with great drama, character development, animation, and storywriting. But above all, this show goes to the extreme and does it just about as perfectly as it could possibly do it.

Black Fox (movie): B
      This movie has plenty of things going for it with great characters, amazing action, nice animation, and solid drama. That said, this show just has a weak and cliched story that's just passable. Anyway, the show ended up being a nice movie to watch and the ending sets the stage for big things to go down, hopefully resulting in a TV series or a second movie at the very least.

Dragon Ball Super (127-131): B+
      This show picks up right where DBZ Kai ends with better animation quality and pacing that's just right. This show thrives on what made DBZ great with well-developed characters, top-notch action, nice storytelling, and great character development. The show does a great job with introducing new characters, especially with the tournament arc in the end. That said, this show does a few things worse than DBZ in that there are a bunch of cringeworthy moments and too much plot convenience that waters down the storytelling quality. But in all, it's a satisfying continuation for a show that ended several years ago.

Miss Caretaker of Sunohara-sou (11-12): C-
      It's obvious that this show is meant to be a guilty pleasure as the animation quality is bad, the fanservicey stuff is overkill, and there's just not much of a story to speak of. That said, this show has interesting characters, well-utilized fanservice, and does a decent job with character development given the format of the show. In all, the characters and jokes are what salvage an otherwise unremarkable show.

Gate (1-24): B+
      This show has a great concept of having a military army establishing a new order in a fantasy world. The characters are great, the animation is excellent as typical for an A-1 show, the drama is well-executed, and the show makes great use of its story concept. That said, the story could have been written better as it felt like watching two different shows between the first and second half with pacing on the slow side. But in all, it's a great two-way isekai show that does just about everything right to make for an entertaining show.

Mitsuboshi Colors (1-12): B-
      This is a fun and satisfying cute girls doing cute things show. There's just a whole lot of nicely-written amusement with a colorful cast of girls, and with the jokes being mixed up nicely so that it doesn't get repetitive. The show is nothing groundbreaking, all while the show's plot is very weak, but in the grand scheme of things it accomplishes what the show sets out to do.

Ongoing

[GHD] Ghost Hound (1-5)
      [KKM] Kyo Kara Maoh! (40-44)

Comment

Fall 2019 First Impressions

Well, it's 11:55, so I probably shouldn't attempt to write anything about the first month of the final season of the 2010s, but I'll have plenty of retrospectives in two months, for the season, the year, and the decade. Needless to say, this final season is off to an underwhelming first third to say the least, with only Chihayafuru 3 really living up to its potential and very little in the way of promising new properties. At least I still have Vinland Saga, it has been a very strong year overall, and I sure hope HeroAca will shoot to the top by the end of its new season, preferably within its first cour. As for why it took a full month for me to make this list, not only was Psycho-Pass 3 a very late start (with Chihayafuru 3 nearly as late), Amazon likely didn't post it on time, and it took until the second episode was out for people to realize that the series was actually listed, just without a space before the 3 so it was impossible to find. So typical Amazon.

New For Fall 2019:

01. Chihayafuru 3 (A-)
        02. Boku no Hero Academia 4th Season (B+)
        03. Shokugeki no Souma: Shin no Sara (B)
        04. Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld (B)
        05. Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia (B)
        06. Ore wo Suki nano wa Omae dake ka yo (B)
        07. Hoshiai no Sora (B)
        08. Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These Second (B)
        09. Psycho-Pass 3 (B)
        10. Babylon (B-)
        11. Ahiru no Sora (B-)
        12. Mairimashita! Iruma-kun (B-)

Dropped:

13. Mugen no Juunin: Immortal (C+) 5 episodes
        14. Shinchou Yuusha: Kono Yuusha ga Ore Tueee Kuse ni Shinchou Sugiru (C+) 3 episodes
        15. No Guns Life (C+) 3 episodes
        16. Azur Lane (C) 1 episode

Everything I'm Watching:

01. Vinland Saga (A)
        02. Wan pîsu (A-)
        03. Chihayafuru 3 (A-)
        04. Detective Conan (B+)
        05. Dr. Stone (B+)
        06. Boku no Hero Academia 4th Season (B+)
        07. Diamond no Ace: Act II (B+)
        08. Shokugeki no Souma: Shin no Sara (B)
        09. Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld (B)
        10. Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia (B)
        11. Ore wo Suki nano wa Omae dake ka yo (B)
        12. Hoshiai no Sora (B)
        13. Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These Second (B)
        14. Psycho-Pass 3 (B)
        15. Babylon (B-)
        16. Enen no Shouboutai (B-)
        17. Ahiru no Sora (B-)
        18. Mairimashita! Iruma-kun (B-)

Dropped:

19. Mugen no Juunin: Immortal (C+) 5 episodes
        20. Shinchou Yuusha: Kono Yuusha ga Ore Tueee Kuse ni Shinchou Sugiru (C+) 3 episodes
        21. No Guns Life (C+) 3 episodes
        22. Azur Lane (C) 1 episode

Weekly Schedule:

Sunday (1): Vinland Saga
        Monday (1): Babylon
        Tuesday (2): Chihayafuru 3, Diamond no Ace: Act II
        Wednesday (2): Ore wo Suki nano wa Omae dake ka yo, Ahiru no Sora
        Thursday (3): Hoshiai no Sora, Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These Second, Psycho-Pass 3
        Friday (3): Dr. Stone, Shokugeki no Souma: Shin no Sara, Enen no Shouboutai
        Saturday (6): Wan pîsu, Detective Conan, Boku no Hero Academia 4th Season, Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld, Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia, Mairimashita! Iruma-kun
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Fall 2019: First Impressions

Alright, it's quite far into the season thanks largely to some shows getting a late start, and thanks to Amazon's screwy search engine that I didn't get to start Psycho-Pass until now. In any case, I have already decided which shows make the cut and which shows are not for all but a few, but I'll categorize like I usually do into three categories based on how likely they are going to make the cut after two episodes, and the sorting is in alphabetical order once again. For now, I'll just list them and I'll fill in the rest a bit later.

Red Zone
          Dr. Stone - Continuing from summer
          Fire Force - Continuing from summer
          Vinland Saga - Continuing from summer
          Fairy Gone - Split-cour continuing from spring
          Kono Oto Tomare! - Split-cour continuing from spring

Chihayafuru 3
          Granblue Fantasy season 2
          Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These Second
          My Hero Academia season 4
          Psycho-Pass 3
          We Never Learn season 2

Babylon
          Blade of the Immortal
          Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?!
          Fate/Grand Order: Absolute Demonic Front Babylonia
          No Guns Life
          Oresuki
          Bananya and the Curious Bunch (short)
          Days of Urashimasakatasen (short)
          Null Peta (short)

Midfield
          Africa Salaryman
          After School Dice Club
          Ahiru no Sora
          Ascendance of a Bookworm
          Assassins Pride
          Azur Lane
          Cautious Hero: This Hero is Overpowered but Overly Cautious
          High School Prodigies Have it Easy Even in Another World
          Kabukicho Sherlock
          Kemono Michi: Rise Up!
          Rifle is Beautiful
          Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun

Own 20
          Kandagawa Jet Girls
          Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode Oracle
          Outburst Dreamer Boys
          True Cooking Master Boy
          Val x Love
          Z/X Code Reunion

Comment

Post-simulcast Report: October 16-31

Things have been hectic the past few weeks, but things should be dying down a bit as between attending football games and stuff, I haven't been keeping up on my post-simulcast reports. Here's the second one for the season, and another one will be due shortly. It includes one show from the summer season that I followed the simuldub for, and I have yet to write my final reviews for those summer season shows. In any case, I have quite a lot of catching up to do, and I'm not exactly sure if I'm going to get to all of it, but I'll try and do so. Thanks to the season being loaded with a bazillion shows that it also means that my post-simulcast reports won't be as long as they usually are as I only needed to write two reviews this time around. Another one, though, it just on the horizon and there will be more than two.

Completed

Million Arthur Special: C+

*Fairy Tail Final Series: A-

^Full Metal Panic: Invisible Victory (1-12, 4.5, 8.5): B
            This show continues to do what the other FMP series before it do, but it just wasn't over-the-top as them. The show has a good story, great action, interesting characters, and a well-executed drama to its strengths, but on the flipside this season is season is lacking. The plot just drags on too slowly leading to an incomplete conclusion, the animation isn't as strong, and there were just too many cringeworthy decisions made during the Namsac arc. In all, it continues to feed off its core strengths with the characters, storytelling, action, and drama, but plot construction, pacing, and animation are all major issues that keep it from reaching the full potential the previous seasons did.

Ghost Hound (1-22): B-
            This show does all the supernatural aspects well, and has an intriguing mystery on top of that. The animation is nicely done, all while the characters all have intriguing personalities. However, this show is lacking in clarity as things are not explained very well all while the plot is full of holes for the majority of the series. It's a show that will take a lot of focus to get through seeing that there are just too many things going on to make sense of everything. Even so, the supernatural elements are simply great.

Ongoing

[MSG-08] Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team (1-2)

Comment

Widgets Magazine
            Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
            Widgets Magazine
            Working...
            X