X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2019] Assassins Pride Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    アサシンズプライド

A show set in a place where nobility holds all the power to fight monsters, and a boy is sent to assassinate a young noble girl should she not be as talented as she should.

Airs: Thrusday, October 10, 2019

Studio: EMT^2

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

In the world where only the aristocrats have the power to fight the monster—mana. A youth named Kufa is dispatched as a tutor to find Mareida's talent, a nuisance girl born in a duke's family. If she is not talented, assassinate her—that, is the dark side of his task...

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Learn or die.

So it begins with Kufa getting the task of training Melida up and see if she has what it takes to be a Mana user seeing that they are limited to aristocrats, but she's not very proficient. As it turns out, Melida is an illegitimate child, and if word gets out about it Kufa will have no choice but to assassinate her. That was a pretty dull way to open things up as it's all about laying the foundation, and aside from the short fights there was just nothing that stood out. That said, the relationship between Kufa and Melida is something that has my interest seeing that Kufa has quite a big task at hand if he wants to be spared the agony of having to kill her.

As usual, trial period rules are in effect, so I won't make a decision on this show right now as I continue the evaluation process.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

So far this is the only show this season that's really caught my interest though I do see some weaknesses. The candelebra city is really odd. There's the usual tropes and melodrama, and the first episode seems rushed to get to the solution that Kufa makes. So far it's kind of like Inu x Boku with an edge, because of the "pact" that Kufa makes and the consequences. Maybe I'm mostly hooked on the music used in key scenes, especially the girl's trip.
      Last edited by JeffDM; 10-12-2019, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
        Episode 1

Learn or die.

So it begins with Kufa getting the task of training Melida up and see if she has what it takes to be a Mana user seeing that they are limited to aristocrats, but she's not very proficient. As it turns out, Melida is an illegitimate child, and if word gets out about it Kufa will have no choice but to assassinate her. That was a pretty dull way to open things up as it's all about laying the foundation, and aside from the short fights there was just nothing that stood out. That said, the relationship between Kufa and Melida is something that has my interest seeing that Kufa has quite a big task at hand if he wants to be spared the agony of having to kill her.

As usual, trial period rules are in effect, so I won't make a decision on this show right now as I continue the evaluation process.
        Re: Episode 1

Taking things ssssllllooooowwwww.

We start off with a pretty nice fight scene, and then we go all slo-mo on story, plotting and pacing. Kufa is investigating, on behalf of his guild, the origins of Melida, to determine if she's actually the daughter of their client, an extremely powerful noble. Nobles are the only ones gifted with mana, giving them all manner of abilities, including superhuman strength and ability. Kufa arrives as the girl's tutor, after meeting an interesting young woman on the train ride to his new job (who, we presume, we'll meet again in some capacity). Kufa will also accompany Melida to the Academy she attends, a place filled with young noblewomen, who are all mana users, with that gift having manifested by age 7. Melida does not have mana, and while she's quite good in swordsmanship, she's helpless against anyone with mana, resulting in her being bullied.

Nobles are the only ones with mana, and have the duty to fight lycanthropes, monsters who roam the world outside the last human realm, a place that's shaped like a chandelier. Kufa comes to the conclusion that Melida is the illegitimate daughter of the noble, that her mother had an affair, since she's not manifesting any mana. So, he decides to assassinate her quickly and get it over with. Instead, he discovers her fighting 3 lycanthropes who've chased her out into the city. Her father seems to set these monsters on her to try and awaken her mana. Impressed with the girl's resolve, for she doesn't beg for her own life, just to protect her hair, a legacy of her late mother, Kufa quickly disposes of the lycanthropes, and at the agreed risk of her life, does something to awaken her mana. She survives and has mana at the end, with him vowing to protect her as best he can, hoping that he'll be able to avoid assassinating her if anyone finds out her secrets.

So, I'm intrigued a bit by this, but it was also slllllooooowwww, lots of shoes walking shots. Plus some other things: Zero evidence that she's illegitimate. Maybe this is one of those things where any male with mana will pass it on, but that's not explained. It's likewise not stated that the alleged father, a now dead noble, was not a mana user.

Lastly, there's whatever happened to give Melida mana. It can't be that easy, and almost certainly is not. Is it a temporary fix, one that will need fresh applications, or...?

So, there's pacing issues, but the action is good when there is action. Not hooked at this point.
        Last edited by General Hentai; 10-12-2019, 12:33 PM.
        My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
        1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
        2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
        3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine
        Working...
        X