X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2019] Babylon Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    バビロン

A detective show where an illegal drug is about to cause a major upheaval in Tokyo.

Airs: Monday, October 7, 2019

Studio: Revoroot

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Amazon

Zen Seizaki, a public prosecutor at Tokyo District Public Prosecutors Office, is investigating a case of illegal clinical research related to a drug company and a university. During the investigation, he finds a file that Shin Inaba, an anesthesiologist, kept, which includes blood that is mixed with hair, skin, and a paper written with letter F. As he investigates, he realized there's a hidden plot that is connected with a huge election as well as to a certain person who is in charge of it.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Kei Shirogane, Kaguya-sama: Love is War
    Watching: Gundam 00, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Everything becomes F.

So it begins with Seizaki investigating a scandal hitting a pharmaceutical company, and there are a lot of interesting pieces to the puzzle stemming from that blood-stained document that has the letter F written all over it. He goes digging around and sees that something's amok about the mayoral election coming up. But then two of his colleagues end up biting the dust as first there's Inaba. And then after going into somebody's apartment, Fumio appears to have committed suicide by hanging himself. While there wasn't much going on besides building for the majority of the episode, that ending really changed everything. Now, I'm intrigued with this show.

And now, it's onto the next episode as Amazon was generous to give us three episodes ahead of its TV broadcast.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

It's not suicide, it's murder.

Fumio's death is being ruled a suicide, but Seizaki is not so convinced. So he continues to dig deeper as he interrogates "Emiko Hiramatsu" to try and get to the bottom of things. It seems kind of odd that a young lady like Hiramatsu would flirt with geezers who are at least 40 years older, but it is what it is. And once again, something game-changing happens at the end as with the first episode it was Fumio found dead, and now Nomaru the mayoral candidate has appeared out of nowhere. Something looks shady about that guy seeing that he's the favorite to win the election.

Comment

Episode 3

Legalizing death.

So it turns out that Nomura will actually help Seizaki on his case, and his plan is to create Shiniki, a special zone where new laws can be tested out, and that he's manipulating the election so that Itsuki would win as he wants somebody the public can buy into. But then Seizaki finds out the truth. Hiramatsu and the seducer are the same person named Ai Magase, and she drugs her victims so that they are pushed to killing themselves. And Itsuki has some grand scheme cooked up with that PR stunt of showing a bunch of drugged victims jumping off a tower to their deaths. I had a feeling something was amiss, and now Seizaki knows that while these victims committed suicide, but it's not by choice as Magane is behind it all. So three episodes all end with shocking developments.

So watching three episodes before the show begins its TV broadcast, it's going to be awhile before I watch the next episode. While I like the drama, the leadup feels pretty dull. Anyway, I'll need to sit down and see where this show stands before making a decision.

Comment

Episode 4

Even babies can vote.

Now that Itsuki has established the new district in which people can commit suicide without any repercussions, Seizaki is out to put a stop to it, and for that to happen, he needs to make sure Itsuki doesn't win the election. Of course, in a fair fight there's no way Itsuki would win it seeing that the public strongly disapproves of the new Shiniki district, but Itsuki is rigging the elections. Whether it be to make babies eligible to vote so that parents can stuff the ballot box or forcing someone to publicly declare their stance on suicide as a condition, there's a lot of shady stuff going on. And then there's Magase as she's dangerous to be around. Lots of intrigue going on here as the objective is clear, but the method of approach remains to be seen.

So the trial period has ended, and I decided awhile ago that this show makes the cut, so with that it's now official.

Comment

Episode 5

More than meets the Ai.

Seizaki has quite a tough task ahead of him as they have every reason to believe that Magase is orchestrating these suicides an Itsuki is manipulating the public to make it alright to do so, and it's game over if he wins the election that makes the Shiniki disctrict a reality. So Seizaki goes after Magase's uncle, and while he tells them about her background, that isn't exactly everything they need. So with the mission clear finding some evidence that would incriminate Itsuki, they have their work cut out. But before that, Magase has struck again as she made Tsutsui commit suicide with that diabolical drug, and things sure have intensified.

Comment

Episode 6

Debating over suicide.

Seeing that they can't find the evidence to incriminate Itsuki, their best shot at keeping Shiniki from being formed to give rise to suicides is to attack him at the debate. Just when it looked like Nomura had him where he wanted him, the tables quickly turn as that kid in the viral video that he brought to run for governor himself seeing that there's no age limit, it turns out he's Itsuki's son Taiyo. Quite the turn of events there as Itsuki is just way too charming and calm to lose his temper when he is fully aware of the situation.

Comment

Episode 7

He's got an ax to grind.

That was just painful to watch. First, Kujiin is another victim to Magase's suicide-invoking drug that allows her to keep on killing and making it appear that the victim committed suicide. But then it's what she does with Sekuro there at the end that makes her a greatest of all evils there not only hacking and slashing at Sekuro in dismembering her, but doing so in a video conference chat with Seizaki. That was simply disturbing to watch. It's going to take awhile for me to recover from such an episode seeing that this show is not going to continue until the end of the year as for some reason, the next episode is delayed until Dec. 30, which is usually a day no new episodes of anime are supposed to air on TV in Japan.

Comment

Re: Episode 7

Did Zen completely drop all of his brains in an earlier episode? By this point in the series, he knows what he is up against in Magase. Yet, he didn't give his team any instructions? I guess we don't know how she operates, but how did she get the whole team to suicide if she has get face to face with an individual to work her magic or whatever she does? Then what was that super villain speech Magase gave at the end? Could it be even more cliche? Is Zen that weak that he goes completely bonkers over it?

Another thing that bugs me is that there have been dozens of suicides in a very short time and the only person who is worried about it is Zen? No evidence of foul play notwithstanding, it is hard for me to believe at least some other officials or agency or media outlet aren't getting suspicious.

I am really afraid this series is headed toward a bad end, or one of those famous anime wtf endings, in which case it will have been a complete waste of time watching it. I am hoping that Shinobu's (temporary) resistance to Magase's influence and the fact that Magase outright murdered Hiasa instead of compelling her to suicide is a sign of Magase's weakness that Zen can somehow exploit in stopping her. That is if he can get hold of himself and actually think his way through it instead of acting like a complete imbecile...

Avatar: Tanya Degurechaff from Saga of Tanya the Evil

Comment

Disappointed to see no episode this week, but that last one was definitely a game-changer. Haven't seen anything quite that disturbing this season.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post

Disappointed to see no episode this week, but that last one was definitely a game-changer. Haven't seen anything quite that disturbing this season.
                      Sadly, they are on hiatus until, I believe, the end of the year.
                      Avatar: Tanya Degurechaff from Saga of Tanya the Evil

Comment

Originally posted by Gildor View Post

Oh wow, that's a long hiatus.
                        My Top Anime | Manga
                        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                        My FP Reviews | Twitter
                        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by Gildor View Post
                          Oh wow, that's a long hiatus.
                          Speaking of the 'looking forward to the next episode' thing,

Spoiler ->the Babylon anime is based on the Babylon novel series written by Nozaki Mado, and Volume 3 of the Babylon novel series was published by Kodansha in November of 2017. But I have seen people who read the Babylon novel series say, 'Volume 3 is not the final volume of the Babylon novel series,' or something along those lines. Volume 4 is not yet released.
                          I wonder how the anime staff will deal with the crime/thriller-type story which has been not yet completed at this moment in time.

Comment

Episode 8

Spreading like wildfire.

And after a long break making me wonder why the production team pushed for this show to air this season, it's back to adapt the final arc. After that disturbing episode in which Seizaki's co-worker is brutally murdered by Magase, the mood changes along with the center of focus as the Shiniki is not just a Japan problem. It's spreading around the world and the American government is trying to fight it as FBI agents are showing up in Japan to help Seizaki's cause. It's already in Canada, and now it just got greenlit in Connecticut. While that's going on, the life of President Wood is explained as he met his wife through an online game, and he raised a happy family that he wants to protect, and seeing that it's the drug that's leading people to kill themselves that there's plenty he has to do to stop the legalization of suicide. This show is certainly headed in an interesting direction as first, it was a problem with the Japanese government, and now it's a worldwide problem.

Comment

Episode 9

Everything is connected somehow.

Now that Hartford has passed the suicide law that President Wood has a tall task on his hands to try and stop it from spreading into the rest of the US, and for that he has Seizaki making the trip to DC discuss it. Seeing that the laws came into effect in three places nearly simultaneously that something is definitely connected. Seizaki lets everybody know that Magase is behind everything and that somehow she is able to affect others without having to be there. And that's exactly what's happening when Seizaki listens to that conversation between the mayor of Hartford and a dying mother. Magase sure is much more dangerous than anybody can anticipate, and she will be even tougher to take down.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X