X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2019] Oresuki Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    俺を好きなのはお前だけかよ

A romcom about a guy who doesn't know who to love or who loves him.

Airs: Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Studio: Connect

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Kisaragi Amatsuyu is invited out alone by the cool beauty upperclassman Cosmos and his childhood friend Himawari. Expecting to hear their confessions, he triumphantly goes to meet each of them in turn. But Cosmos and Himawari both instead confess to Amatsuyu that they like his friend. Amatsuyu fights this lonely battle, but there is another girl who is looking at him. She is a gloomy girl with glasses and braids. Amatsuyu finds that he hates her, because she's always turning her sharp tongue only on him and finding enjoyment in his troubles. But it turns out that she's the only one who actually does like him.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Just a background character.

It looked like this show that was going to be another one of those serious romances, but it quickly turned into a quirky comedy once Joro is simply being asked to date as practice for the real love interest not once, but twice. Cosmos and Himawari used Joro to gain experience so that they would be ready for Sun-chan, the stud baseball player and Joro's best friend. Adding more fuel to the fire is Pansy, who had been stalking him and unlike the other two girls, she genuinely loves him. What's a poor background character to do? This show certainly has my attention after that twist.

As usual, this is being put through the usual trial period procedures, and once I have a better idea of how this show turns out, I'll make my decision.
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

I love the fact that they did something different other than the other harem anime-Hensuki, I'm looking at you. But there are more girls coming, so I guess they're all in love the baseball BFF?
      Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
        Episode 1

Just a background character.

It looked like this show that was going to be another one of those serious romances, but it quickly turned into a quirky comedy once Joro is simply being asked to date as practice for the real love interest not once, but twice. Cosmos and Himawari used Joro to gain experience so that they would be ready for Sun-chan, the stud baseball player and Joro's best friend. Adding more fuel to the fire is Pansy, who had been stalking him and unlike the other two girls, she genuinely loves him. What's a poor background character to do? This show certainly has my attention after that twist.

As usual, this is being put through the usual trial period procedures, and once I have a better idea of how this show turns out, I'll make my decision.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

With not everything out yet, of course, we have an early claimer for best comedy of the season. Right now, if it's not the best comedy, we're going to have a great season.

We start off with Joro, an average high-school student, save that he's got an unusual nickname: Joro means "moon". He's got a cheerful, cute, childhood friend his own age, Himawari and, as the secretary of the student council, the one -year older student council president, Cosmos. He also has his best friend, Sun-chan, the ace of the baseball team. So, with 2 cute girls, his life's pretty good?

Houston, we have a problem.

On a weekend, first Saturday, then Sunday, he gets asked out by Cosmos, then Himawari. Not only do they friend-zone him, worst, they both confess to be in love with his friend, Sun-chan, and want his help in winning Sun-chan over!

And here, the comedy gold starts hitting and doesn't stop. First, we realize that Joro's average nice guy character is an act: He's actually sarcastic and a bit nasty. This has always been part of an act on his part in an attempt to win over each of the girls. But he recovers a bit, realizing that one of the girls is going to not get Sun-chan, and he can still get one of the girls, and it seems that it doesn't matter which one.

We have some fun as we re-run the show's start, with him giving his inner commentary after having been friend-zoned and asked to play matchmaker, with him now describing himself not as an average high school student, but a back ground character.

And then things get worse. From having to deal with helping the 2 girls in trying to get close to Sun-chan, with both being terrible at following his plans (and having told both girls what he's doing for both of them - he's on both of their sides), with both of them hounding him for his help, he escapes to the library.

And in the library? Pansy, a gloomy girl with glasses and long braids who's the quiet stereotypical library wallflower, to everyone but him, with whom she has a sharp tongue.

And what does Pansy have waiting for him? The same sort of bench he sat on to be friend-zoned by Cosmos and Himawari, with the confession going the exact same way...until she confesses that she loves him, and not just him, but his actual personality, the Hyde to the Dr. Jekyll he portrays to the rest of the world.

So, not just one twist but several. Which of course leads me to wonder: What other twists might be coming down the line?

So, this show is off to a great start, and is a keeper from day one.
        My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
        1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
        2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
        3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

This did a good job at subverting expectations of a generic harem and instead turning it into something of a satire of that, with a protagonist so self-aware that he tries to play the role of the harem protagonist right up until he realizes that he is in fact a background character, and we see the cynic behind his facade. It's a lot more unique than I expected, and so far it's got me laughing a bit, so I'm for the ride.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

I feel like this show would only survive because of the trial period concept. I quit watching towards the end of the second date, then finished it a day or so later. Even the stalker spottings didn't pique my interest much, the show was running pretty tropey at that point. I'm not sure how obvious the stalker spottings were supposed to be, but when they did the stalking flashbacks did find I missed a couple spottings.

Comment

Episode 2

Looking for love in all the wrong places.

And adding fuel to this romantic fire, Sun-chan is telling Joro that he loves Pansy. And thus a complex web of love has been created as Joro loves Cosmos and Himawari, but neither of those girls love him while Pansy does, all while Cosmos and Himawari love Sun-chan, but Sun-chan loves Pansy. I don't blame those girls for badmouthing Joro seeing that he's just not adept at romance. And then there's that bench with the parody of the Star Wars imperial march song playing going to show the ominous vibes that have come full circle, and it makes for some really humorous moments.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Of course we weren't done with these repeated patterns in the first episode. The cast relationships have been folded in on themselves in nearly every conceivable configuration, and only Pansy seems to be enjoying herself.
                My Top Anime | Manga
                My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                My FP Reviews | Twitter
                FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 2

I like how at end all the principals came together in one location setting up a potential free for all storm with Joro right in the center. I would have expected this sort of gathering toward the end of the series, not episode 2. So I am really interested to see what happens next week.

Avatar: Tanya Degurechaff from Saga of Tanya the Evil

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine
                  Working...
                  X