Widgets Magazine

Currently Watching (Summer 2019 Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2019] Currently Watching (Summer 2019 Edition)

Widgets Magazine
    It's hot outside, and with the calendar well into July that it's time for a new season of anime. Last season saw a huge reduction in the number of shows, and ended up being an underwhelming season, but nevertheless there were still great shows to be found. This season is looking more of the same. Like always, this thread is to let us know what you are watching and how you are liking them or not.

The link to the Spring 2019 Edition
    Summer 2019 Anime Chart
    Summer 2019 Anime Lineup Thread

Note
    - Change the title of your post to reflect the contents.
    - Do not use the Reply to Thread button; instead, click quote on the post you wish to reply to, or on this post if you're starting a new subthread.
    - Edit down the quoted section to the relevant bits, nobody needs to read someone's epic list of watched stuff twice.
    - Be nice to one another.
    - Please discuss only what you are watching this season in this thread. Stuff watched during other seasons should be discussed in their respective threads.

Also, I'd like to add the following. The Currently Watching Thread is mainly meant for a general overview of how you're currently feeling about shows. It is not supposed to be a replacement for actual discussion threads. Try to keep heavier discussion (if possible) in the more specific discussion threads.

In addition, try to be careful of spoilers here. It's one thing if it's properly tagged and such. However, I don't want people to have to worry about someone randomly posting "Wow, X died in episode 17 of Y". Just a randomly made up example, but you get the idea.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Simulcast Interest Levels for Summer 2019

As usual, I am starting things off with my simulcast interest list. Once again, here are the tiers for how likely I will watch certain shows this season using NFL injury report statuses to categorize the shows:
    • IN: It's on the watchlist no matter what. This mostly applies to continuing shows and sequels.
    • PROBABLE: I'm checking out, and it has a very good chance of making the cut. I have dropped shows in this category in the past, so it's not automatic.
    • QUESTIONABLE: I'm checking out, and impressions will dictate its fate. Pretty much, it's for shows I have moderate interest in at the beginning.
    • DOUBTFUL: I may or may not check it out, and if I do, it must really impress me in order to make the cut.
    • OUT: I'm not bothering with it at all.
    So it's onto assessment with the usual three-letter abbreviations for the shows entering the season.

IN
    [FTL-3] Fairy Tail Final Season (continuing from winter, simuldub)
    [KYB] Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (continuing from spring)
    [FRB-1] Fruits Basket (2019) (continuing from spring, simuldub)
    [MIX] Mix (continuing from spring)
    [FIL] Fight League: Gear Gadget Generators (short, continuing from spring)
    [MTI] Miru Tights (short, continuing from spring)
    [DUN-2] Is It Wrong to Try and Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? II

PROBABLE
    [ARF] Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest
    [ALS] Astra Lost in Space
    [COP] Cop Craft
    [DRS] Dr. Stone
    [EES] Fire Force
    [IDD] If It's For My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord
    [FSN-LE] Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files {Rail Zeppelin} Grace Note
    [VLS] Vinland Saga

QUESTIONABLE
    [TOA-A] A Certain Scientific Accelerator
    [MMZ] The Demon Girl Next Door
    [T2O] Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks?
    [GIV] Given
    [GBM] Granbelm
    [HES] Hensuki
    [HDB] How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift?
    [ICM] Isekai Cheat Magician
    [AKO] O Maidens In Your Savage Season
    [NHG] The Ones Within
    [RST] Re:Stage! Dream Days
    [TAB] To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts
    [WDH] Wasteful Days of High School Girls
    [SND] Are You Lost? (short)
    [PKC] Hakata Mentai! Pirikarako-chan (short)
    [TJS] Magical Sempai (short)

DOUBTFUL
    [BEM] BEM
    [MSR] Demon Lord, Retry!
    [ENS] Ensemble Stars
    [KWN] Kochoki
    [TRY] Try Knights

OUT
    Starmyu 3
    Symphogear XV
    Teasing Master Takagi-san 2
    Yamishibai season 7
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

I just stumbled over The Ones Within on Funimation, telling the story of 8 different "Let's Play" streamers, 5 boys, 3 girls, who get (kidnapped? iseiked?) into playing a new game, with the goal of reaching a viewed mark of 100,000,000. Do that, they get sent home. If they don't get killed first, with all of the 8 having their own issues IRL that will potentially impact their ability to survive.

It's pretty good, a mix of comedy and menace, with greater emphasis on comedy right now. So far, I'd say it's succeeding.
      My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
      1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
      2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
      3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: July 1-15

Here's the first post-simulcast report of the season. I'm quite disorganized since things have been hectic in real life and I haven't had the time to watch stuff beyond the simulcast stuff leaving me with quite a backlog, but I'll start working on that in August once things have settled down. In any case, here's my first post-simulcast report of the season, and not much was watched from seasons past, though I am still working through some shows in the previous season as I'm opting to wait for simuldubs for Million Arthur and Fairy Tail to come out. Anyway, just two shows completed, one of them is the first half of a split-cour series.

Completed

*One Punch Man season 2: B

*That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (OVA): B

*Is It Wrong to Try and Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Past & Future (ONA): C+

7 Seeds (1-12): D+
        While this show has some strong source material and a great premise about survival of the fittest, the show's execution was just off the mark. The plot is fragmented, the characters lack development, all the bad ones stand out like a sore thumb, the animation is subpar, and there were just too many moving parts to keep track of that made for a poorly-planned production. And then the show ends on a cliffhanger, and a bad one at that as a second season is most likely under production.

Ongiong

^[SAO-A] Sword Art Online: Alicization (22-24)

Comment

Summer 2019 First Impressions

Okay, now I definitely don't have any time left for this season, even though I naturally have a lot more to say about 13 new series, especially a month into most of them. One immediate trend we can see, though, is that Wit Studio is absolutely killing it, which I'm very thankful for since I've been waiting for Vinland Saga to get an anime since, well, since Wit Studio debuted with the first season of Attack on Titan / Shingeki no Kyojin, appropriately enough. If they can keep up the level of quality they've shown in these first four episodes, to say nothing of the past few months of their flagship property, the Vinland Saga anime should become a lot more than just the best new show this season by the end of these two cours, with the hope that future seasons follow before too long. Since it's been a constant on this list for the past decade and therefore naturally doesn't draw much attention, it's also worth recognizing One Piece as a renewed highlight this season. Toei is actively reinventing the series for this highly anticipated arc with fresh core staff known for some of the studio's best recent work, a gorgeous new aesthetic, and creative touches that make it clear that this is more than a straight adaptation. They're finally starting to get the most out of the medium to make the anime stand on its own as something worth watching, not just the show that transfers manga pages onto the screen and pads them out. Except... they interrupted the arc a few episodes in for a commercial-for-a-movie filler arc that doesn't fit in the story whatsoever, and is especially annoying given the placement. Anyway, those are obviously the highlights alongside other ongoing series like the second half of Kimetsu no Yaiba. Otherwise, my attention is mostly focused on watching KyoAni works, for obvious reasons and to conflicting, bittersweet results.

New For Summer 2019:

01. Vinland Saga (A-)
          02. Dr. Stone (B+)
          03. Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka II (B)
          04. Enen no Shouboutai (B)
          05. Given (B-)
          06. Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo. (B-)
          07. Lord El-Melloi II Sei no Jikenbo: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note (B-)
          08. Kanata no Astra (B-)
          09. How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift? (B-)

Dropped:

10. Uchi no Ko no Tame naraba, Ore wa Moshikashitara Maou mo Taoseru kamo Shirenai. (C+) 4 episodes
          11. Cop Craft (C+) 4 episodes
          12. The Demon Girl Next Door (C+) 3 episodes
          13. Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou (D+) 1 episode

Everything I'm Watching:

01. One Piece (A-)
          02. Vinland Saga (A-)
          03. Kimetsu no Yaiba (A-)
          04. Detective Conan (B+)
          05. Fruits Basket (2019) (B+)
          06. Diamond no Ace: Act II (B+)
          07. Dr. Stone (B+)
          08. Fairy Tail: Final Series (B+)
          09. Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka II (B)
          10. Enen no Shouboutai (B)
          11. Given (B-)
          12. Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo. (B-)
          13. Lord El-Melloi II Sei no Jikenbo: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note (B-)
          14. Kanata no Astra (B-)
          15. How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift? (B-)

Dropped:

16. Uchi no Ko no Tame naraba, Ore wa Moshikashitara Maou mo Taoseru kamo Shirenai. (C+) 4 episodes
          17. Cop Craft (C+) 4 episodes
          18. The Demon Girl Next Door (C+) 3 episodes
          19. Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou (D+) 1 episode

Weekly Schedule:

Sunday (1): Vinland Saga
          Monday (0):
          Tuesday (1): Diamond no Ace: Act II
          Wednesday (2): Kanata no Astra, How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift?
          Thursday (1): Given
          Friday (5): Fruits Basket (2019), Dr. Stone, Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka II, Enen no Shouboutai, Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo.
          Saturday (5): One Piece, Kimetsu no Yaiba, Detective Conan, Fairy Tail: Final Series, Lord El-Melloi II Sei no Jikenbo: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

I will get to my formal first impressions soon as this has been quite a busy time for me, but things should be dying down this weekend when I can sit down and do it. But before I get there, I will explain where things stand on my watchlist this season. Once again, I set the limit of 18 shows give or take two, and it looks like I will be taking two more even though the amount of shows is still down from the winter load.

So shows that are in because they are continuing shows or sequels are Fruits Basket (2019), Mix, Demon Slayer, Fairy Tail, and Danmachi season 2. Shows that didn't take long to lock down are Vinland Saga, Astra Lost in Space, If It's For My Daughter I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord, The Demon Girl Next Door, Dr. Stone, Fire Force, and Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files bringing the show total up to 12. Shows that took awhile, but I'm leaning towards keeping are Cop Craft, How Heavy are the Dumbbells You Lift?, Given, O Maidens in Your Savage Season, Wasteful Days of High School Girls, and A Certain Scientific Accelerator bringing the total up to 18 should I keep all of them. Seeing that I am watching Fairy Tail and Accelerator on the simuldub schedule that I decided that two more shows can be added.

So for the last two shows, they are between The Ones Within, Re:Stage, Hensuki, To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts, and Try Knights, while Isekai Cheat Magician and Two-Hit Mom are extreme longshots. As much as I would like to make room for at least one isekai show, all of them have been busts. As for the shows I have definitively dropped, they are Ensemble Stars, BEM, Arifureta, Kochoki, Demon Lord Retry, and Granbelm.

And for shorts, Fight League and Miru Tights continue (with the latter just having finished up), while Pirikarako-chan is only a few minutes, and I decided I could keep only one between Are You Lost? and Magical Sempai with Are You Lost? winning out. I'm pretty close to finalizing my watchlist, but it's those last shows that makes the process drag on.

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: July 16-31

While I'm still working on first impressions, I need to get this out before I lose my recent history on MAL. So here it is, the end of July report for post-simulcast shows. It was quite a busy time, so I didn't watch as much anime as I usually do (and while the new norm is expected to trend downwards, this is still far less than normal).

Completed

*Million Arthur: C+

^Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers (1-12): B
              This show does a great job in the mystery aspect as there are lots of well-executed plot twists and stuff in order to find out who among the seven characters is the fake hero that's not supposed to exist. The show excels with character development and drama, which is what made me anticipate the next episode to see what new developments come out. That said, this show is hindered by slow pacing, mediocre animation, and the late introduction of another mystery that probably won't ever get animated. But in all, it's a show that was worth watching for the anticipation aspect.

*Miru Tights: D

Ongoing

[NJO] Nichijou (1-6)
              [PKM-SM] Pokemon Sun and Moon (84-86)

Comment

Summer 2019: First Impressions

I was so sidetracked by many other things that I didn't bother to put out one of these posts until now. I have my watchlist almost figured out, but I will try and put down my thoughts after a couple of episodes. Part of the reason is because Try Knights started way later than everything else, but part of it is because I had so much going on that I didn't think about this until now. I'll be as brief and to the point. Same procedure as usual, but almost all of these decisions have been made as these reflect where they were two episodes in. No reviews are given for continuing shows, and the shows are tiered and sorted in alphabetical order with the regular-length shows first and the shorts last.

Red Zone
                Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (continuing)
                Fairy Tail Final Season (continuing)
                Fruits Basket (2019) (continuing)

Mix (continuing)
                Astra Lost in Space - The show has a strong opening episode to show that this is all about overcoming one's weaknesses and coming together as a group to survive. The foundation was laid well with the double-length opening episode, and the show does a great job with the drama.
                Dr. Stone - This show has been strong in laying its foundations and storytelling, and it goes to show that this show means business with the way it opens.
                Fire Force - Being from the same guy who did Soul Eater, this show does a great job tapping into that show's soul and doing a great job in quickly establishing the MC and the struggles he goes through.
                If It's For My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord - While this show's animation could be better, it does a excellent job in establishing the leads and making them a likable father-daughter tandem. Latina is really cute, but this show does a nice job establishing a feel-good atmosphere.
                Is It Wrong to Try and Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? II - This show picks up nicely right where the first season ended and taps into what worked seeing that Bell is a great MC while Ais just wasn't MC material that made Sword Oratorio a dud. It doesn't take long for things to get serious going to show that it's all about doing what the first season did best: Bell trying to overcome great odds.
                Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files: {Rail Zeppelin} Grace Note - While this spinoff could have easily lazed its way through using its attachment to the Fate series to draw attention like Fate/Apocrypha and Fate/Extra, thankfully it doesn't. It takes awhile to get established, but the second episode was simply amazing and how a supernatural mystery show is supposed to be done. It has great animation and a killer soundtrack by Yuki Kajiura to make this a worthwhile show to watch.
                Vinland Saga - This is easily the best show of the season as Wit continues to put out high quality productions. But above all, the storytelling just totally drives the point home perfectly about what the MC is going through. Combine that with great animation and soundtrack, and this show is definitely a winner.
                Wasteful Days of High School Girls - This show is very funny as it is definitely full of great laughs. While lagging in other aspects like animation and sustenance, the show is making its mark through the well-written comedy.

Midfield
                A Certain Scientific Accelerator - This side story taps into everything that made Index so special. Accelerator is a more interesting character than Touma or Mikoto, but above all it doesn't appear to be a rushed adaptation like season 3 of Index was.
                Cop Craft - This show isn't the best animated given the studio that is known for doing a hack job with the Berserk sequel, but with traditional-style animation it looks decent. The show does a nice job in being entertaining with cases being well-constructed and the chemistry between the two leads being established in a solid way.
                The Demon Girl Next Door - It's one of those cute girls shows that does a nice job with the comedy. The humor tends to get repetitive and the story just doesn't seem to want to move upward, but the characters are great and the comedy is nicely written to make for a fun show.
                Given - While BL has a limited audience, this one does an excellent job in utilizing it to build relationships and make it more about self-discovery than anything. So far, this show has done a nice job in establishing the leads and figures to tell a deep story like in the manga.
                Hensuki - After a terrible first episode, this show has since improved doing perverted stuff the right way, all while telling an interesting story revolving around fanservice. Still, it's tropey, but doing so to provide good entertainment in the process.
                How Heavy are the Dumbbells You Lift? - It's a show about weightlifting and girls, and while the premise is simple enough, the show does a great job in making the characters interesting and utilizing the weightlifting aspect into the show. It's one of those feel-good shows that goes overboard muscle service, but never is it rendered pointless.
                Isekai Cheat Magician - It's as generic an isekai show as it could get. Just about the only things going for it are the characters and the setting, but overall it's just a copy and paste job of other similar shows to make something that has been seen a bazillion times over. Even so, it still has its appeal.
                O Maidens in Your Savage Season - After a rough start, things are getting going as the characters are a crazy bunch with a lot of sexual talk and development to go along with it. Mari Okada is back to doing what she does best as the mind games she is known for are making this show interesting.
                The Ones Within - While this show suffers from a story that was not well-established at the beginning and is seemingly going nowhere, the show is interesting with the characters and nature of the games going on.
                Re:Stage! Dream Days - It's another generic girl idol show, but while the story and animation are nothing to write home about, this show does have a feel-good story.
                To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts - While this show has a good premise and solid animation, the show's story just is lacking so far. I'm just not liking the way the characters are being used.
                Are You Lost? (short) - This show is all about surviving on an island, and it does a nice job in being amusing and doing a solid job in being light-hearted despite the situation and setting.
                Magical Sempai (short) - While this short provides some funny moments, the jokes just get repetitive and overly perverted. That said, this show has some interesting characters in it, but things just get nauseatingly repetitive.
                Hakata Mentai! Pirikarako-chan (short) - It's all about food jokes and stuff, and while the animation is bad and the jokes tend to miss the mark, being a short makes this watchable at the very least.

Own 20
                Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest - This show is just a total dumpster fire of an adaptation, and it's a shame since the manga is supposed to be good. The show is plagued by poor animation, badly-established plot, and some of the worst storytelling that I have come across as this show's production was delayed because of so many disagreements with the show's direction. While White Fox and Asread collaborated on this, it was clear that Asread's influence is more prevalent, and they have done a poor job ever since Future Diary.
                BEM - While this show had a good premise, ultimately it's just a boring show with animation so dark that I could barely see anything.
                Demon Lord, Retry! - Just like with another isekai show, this one had good source material that was poorly adapted. This one was done by a no-name studio as the animation looks terrible, the storyline was poorly put together, and things just weren't clicking.
                Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks? - While this show does some things to make this show different than a typical isekai show, this show just totally goes overboard with the fanservice to the point where it become barely watchable. The show's direction just isn't ideal and its overreliance on cliches makes this another run-of-the-mill isekai show.
                Ensemble Stars - It's your typical boy idol show that does nothing to stand out. At least having a girl manager puts it on the right track, but nevertheless it's not going to wow anybody outside the target audience by a longshot.
                Granbelm - This show has an appealing concept of little girls, magic, and mecha. But while the story has some potential, the execution was way off the mark as things weren't properly set up in the first episode, all while the show just follows cliches and other bad practices to craft a story.
                Kochoki - It's another one of those fujoshi shows in the end. I like that it does something different by telling the story about Nobunaga in his youth. But in the end, it just didn't have much interesting stuff to it.
                Try Knights - While it makes a nice attempt at a sports show, this show is plagued by the typical problems with Gonzo shows. But above all, the use of CG kills the show the most as it's ugly and out-of-place for a show like this.

At this juncture, the watchlist is just about figured out given how late this is coming. But nonetheless I stuck to my routine and next season's watchlist I should get out in more timely fashion.

Comment

Summer 2019 Simulcast Rankings: July

Alright, it's late into August, but I still need to get my July simulcast rankings up. Part of the reason is because I'm waiting for a few simuldubs I'm following to get through to the necessary point, and another reason is because of Try Knights as the show's late start. I got through two episodes before deciding to punt on it, so my ranking depends on its first two episodes, which is all I needed to know that this show was not worth a try. I'll try an keep things in perspective about how I thought about shows through July 31, and I will have show statuses reflected based on what I had decided and stuff through July 31 as the list is now finalized. As usual for summer season shows, baseball terminology is used as tier names. Shows in black have made the cut, shows in red have been dropped, and shows in blue I'm still deciding on (again, as of July 31).

Home Run
                  Vinland Saga
                  Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
                  Fairy Tail Final Season

Base Hit
                  Dr. Stone
                  Fire Force
                  Fruits Basket (2019)
                  Given
                  Is It Wrong to Try and Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? II
                  Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files: {Rail Zeppelin} Grace Note
                  O Maidens in Your Savage Season
                  Astra Lost in Space
                  If It's For My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord
                  How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift?

Walk
                  A Certain Scientific Accelerator
                  The Demon Girl Next Door
                  Mix
                  Cop Craft
                  Wasteful Days of High School Girls
                  To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts
                  Hensuki

Flyout
                  Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks?
                  The Ones Within
                  Re:Stage! Dream Days

Granbelm
                  Isekai Cheat Magician
                  Are You Lost?
                  Magical Sempai

Ensemble Stars
                  BEM

Strikeout
                  Kochoki
                  Demon Lord, Retry!
                  Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest

Hakata Mentai! Pirikarako-chan
                  Try Knights

This is shaping up to be a pretty good season, and while it's lacking in heavy hitters, it's filled with lots of quality shows. It's just Vinland Saga and the two continuing shows, but there are a lot more solid shows that make this a deeper season than the spring.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine
                  Working...
                  X