X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2019] The Demon Girl Next Door Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    まちカドまぞく

A show about a seemingly ordinary high school girl who just so happens to possess demon powers, and she's called upon to defeat a miko, who just so happens to be a friend at school.

Airs: Thursday, July 11, 2019

Studio: J.C. Staff

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    HIDIVE

Awakening her dormant abilities as a devil one day, Yuuko Yoshida aka Shadow Mistress Yuuko, is entrusted with the mission to defeat the Light clan's shrine maiden, a magical girl, by her ancestor Lilith. Yuuko meets magical girl Momo Chiyoda through her classmate Anri Sada, and challenges her to a duel, but loses quickly due to her lack of strength.

Since then, Yuuko has struggled with her role as a devil and her duel with Momo, and borrowed help from her regularly. However, by a strange coincidence, Yuuko also weakens Momo by taking away her power to cooperate in protecting the peace of Tama city.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Lecia Ivyred, The Rising of the Shield Hero
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

If it's for my clan, I'd even defeat a magical girl.

That was pretty funny seeing Yuko acting all clumsy after getting her demon horns and tail, as well as being tasked with defeating Momo. Those two girls don't exactly see each other as enemies seeing that Momo saved Yuko when she's about to be run over by a big rig and is whipping her up into shape, but if Yuko's family is to break the curse of poverty on them the magical girl must be defeated. That was quite an awkward meeting they had at school as Yuko sounds anything but threatening. This figures to be a fun show moving forward as the source material is pretty good from what I am hearing, and I just hope that they mix things up and not just stick with one thing as shows like this have a tendency to be.

So like always, trial period rules apply.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Lecia Ivyred, The Rising of the Shield Hero
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

This show is just so damned adorable. it's shot right up to my favorite summer show. I want to give Yuko a bear hug.
      Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

This is right on the line for me. Very relentless rapid-fire comedy. Not much to it, but it occasionally hit successfully, so I give it some credit for that.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 1

The long wait is over and this is pretty much likely to be a favorite of the season for me. Granted I'm mainly here for the potential relationship between Magical Girl and Demon Girl. One thing is for sure, it's going to be a complicated one and one that's definitely a metaphor. Consider the following.

Yuko has had changes to her body. Her personality/mentality is likely effected too. She's had responsibilities dropped on her. She clearly has a level of fear towards Chiyoda, but at the same time she's definitely attracted to her on some level as well. Yeah, one can figure out where they're going with this.

What really amused me and pleased me is they're avoiding the whole "secret" angle. Ie the mother knows what's going on. They're not playing the game of "only special people can see them". This is good because it allows for more varied interactions with the cast.
          "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
          Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine
          Working...
          X