X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2019] The Demon Girl Next Door Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    まちカドまぞく

A show about a seemingly ordinary high school girl who just so happens to possess demon powers, and she's called upon to defeat a miko, who just so happens to be a friend at school.

Airs: Thursday, July 11, 2019

Studio: J.C. Staff

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    HIDIVE

Awakening her dormant abilities as a devil one day, Yuuko Yoshida aka Shadow Mistress Yuuko, is entrusted with the mission to defeat the Light clan's shrine maiden, a magical girl, by her ancestor Lilith. Yuuko meets magical girl Momo Chiyoda through her classmate Anri Sada, and challenges her to a duel, but loses quickly due to her lack of strength.

Since then, Yuuko has struggled with her role as a devil and her duel with Momo, and borrowed help from her regularly. However, by a strange coincidence, Yuuko also weakens Momo by taking away her power to cooperate in protecting the peace of Tama city.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

If it's for my clan, I'd even defeat a magical girl.

That was pretty funny seeing Yuko acting all clumsy after getting her demon horns and tail, as well as being tasked with defeating Momo. Those two girls don't exactly see each other as enemies seeing that Momo saved Yuko when she's about to be run over by a big rig and is whipping her up into shape, but if Yuko's family is to break the curse of poverty on them the magical girl must be defeated. That was quite an awkward meeting they had at school as Yuko sounds anything but threatening. This figures to be a fun show moving forward as the source material is pretty good from what I am hearing, and I just hope that they mix things up and not just stick with one thing as shows like this have a tendency to be.

So like always, trial period rules apply.
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

This show is just so damned adorable. it's shot right up to my favorite summer show. I want to give Yuko a bear hug.
      Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

This is right on the line for me. Very relentless rapid-fire comedy. Not much to it, but it occasionally hit successfully, so I give it some credit for that.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 1

The long wait is over and this is pretty much likely to be a favorite of the season for me. Granted I'm mainly here for the potential relationship between Magical Girl and Demon Girl. One thing is for sure, it's going to be a complicated one and one that's definitely a metaphor. Consider the following.

Yuko has had changes to her body. Her personality/mentality is likely effected too. She's had responsibilities dropped on her. She clearly has a level of fear towards Chiyoda, but at the same time she's definitely attracted to her on some level as well. Yeah, one can figure out where they're going with this.

What really amused me and pleased me is they're avoiding the whole "secret" angle. Ie the mother knows what's going on. They're not playing the game of "only special people can see them". This is good because it allows for more varied interactions with the cast.
          "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
          Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Episode 2

This is just the warm-up.

Yuko, or rather Shamiko as her friends are starting to call her, has quite a lot she needs to learn if she has any hope of defeating Momo. She things Momo is some super freak when in truth, the other magical girls would wipe the floor with her. Then there's her physical condition as she's wiped out after a long jog that's just a warm-up for Momo and thus this fight had to be postponed. And then her money management needs a lot of work seeing that she's from a poor family because of that curse. It's no wonder somebody from the demon realm is coming seeing that with the way things are going, it's just not going to happen. Pretty funny to see Yuko trying way too hard to get the upper hand on Momo when first of all, she's far too weak to even stand up, and second of all defeating her isn't going to guarantee that the curse gets broken.

Comment

Episode 3

From a distance.

Yuko's ancestor is telling her some very important stuff in her dreams, but it's too bad she's so disorganized and scatterbrained that once she got the paper and pen in hand she forgot everything. She tries her hand at laundry, but fails leading her to wear a loaner uniform that's too big. And then she tries taking on projectile weapons, and of course nothing but fail happens leading to Momo teaching her how to use a wand. Of course, lots of crazy things result from that leading them to scram, but still get caught by that tiny thing. Yuko's antics are quite a sight to behold, and once again it's hilarious.

So with that, this show has locked down a spot on my season watchlist as a combination of great comedy with cute girls and a nice premise all make for something worth watching.

Comment

Episode 4

A sound soul dwells within an unsound mind and an unsound body.

As powerful as Lilith is, she can't do anything with Shamiko's frail body as she would learn the hard way when she possessed her. She may be powerful, but in Shamiko's body she's totally useless. And then Yuko sells wieners, and Momo transformed into a magical girl to rescue some falling wieners seeing that she's working hard. Yuko has the right idea there, but once again the curse strikes as hoping to get hot dogs for herself by working hard, she ends up with yogurt instead seeing that they sold like hot cakes thanks to her hard work. Pretty funny stuff once again, but the fact that Momo doesn't want to transform goes to show that there's something up on her end as well.

Comment

Episode 5

A funny thing happened on the way home.

Shamiko just continues to be cute and clumsy there, but at least she's being nice even if she's operating out of a shoestring budget. She buys her sister a camera she had her eyes on, and then she borrows Momo's laptop to see the photos, but having to navigate through many obstacles. Even at home she was still not out of danger with her sister stepping on the bag and her mother drenching it by accident. It's a good thing Momo expected this to happen, so it's safe. That was pretty amusing seeing all this going down.

Comment

Episode 6

The time hath come.

This time, Shamiko attacks Momo in her dreams, and she ends up woozy the next day, so Shamiko takes her home. Her upscale house is quite a contrast from her shabby apartment. But she unknowingly breaks the seal taking a little bit of her blood over to her house, which allows Lilith to speak to Shamiko in real life rather than just her dreams. And now, Shamiko is being asked to help protect the city seeing that Momo isn't as strong as she normally is. That was quite an upwards progression there seeing that the show has been all about Shamiko trying and failing, but this time she succeeds by dumb luck. It will be interesting to see what will happen next now that a seal has been broken.

Comment

Re: Episode 6

I love the way Yuki and Momo's relationship has been developing. They're my favorite ship of the season. Also, the various hint to Momo's past sort of begs the question. How bad were things back then? One thing is for sure, this was an eventful episode.
                      "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"

Comment

Episode 7

Tired-out training.

At least Shamiko's family can live a little bit better with that seal broken, but even so they are still a cursed family. While they got an increase in budget, they have to spend it buying a new fridge, so after buying a ton of food, they cook it all at once and let Momo have the leftovers. And what Momo sees as training is quite different from Shamiko's idea, and hauling a huge tire isn't for her. And then Shamiko takes on another job being a mascot character, and bumps into another magical girl. Pretty funny what transpired, and it will be interesting to see what Mikan brings to the table as another magical girl to give Momo some help.

Comment

Episode 8

Manage your crisis.

Here comes Mikan, and she's out to help Shamiko to make sure she does Crisis Management correctly and not transform when she shouldn't be. She carries a curse that causes others misfortune when she's flustered much like when they were picking up and taking out the trash. And then it turns out that magical girls disappear when they use up their magic as Momo is starting to lose her power, and things are bound to get serious in light of that.

Comment

Re: Episode 8

I'm glad when they talked about the danger to Momo they made sure to keep it in check. Ie stating "Difficult without help" is the key here. Because it presents a level of challenge, but also makes it clear the challenge can be overcome with enough effort.

Shamiko just about almost confessed her feelings. I expect her to "almost confess" at least a few more times through out at least the source material anyway.

Comment

Episode 9

It's only a movie.

Shamiko continues to try and fail, all while her family can't catch a break with the new fridge being too big to fit through the door. Shamiko put up quite a fight on the history exam even without Lilith's help, but she can't beat Momo. And then it's off to the theaters where Mikan and Shamiko are watching a zombie horror movie hoping to get her to control herself. And then there's Ogura, who is into the occultic herself. Pretty funny stuff once again, especially the part where Lilith claims that she modified Shamiko's demon outfit even though it doesn't look any different going to show that Shamiko has it tough.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X