X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2019] Isekai Cheat Magician Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    異世界チート魔術師〈マジシャン〉

An isekai show featuring yet another overpowered MC who somehow cheated his way to it. Two of them, in fact.

Airs: Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Studio: Encourage Films

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

As regular high school students Taichi and Rin disappeared in a beam of light. When they came to, the two of them were already in a world of swords and magic. Finally getting away after experiencing an attack by monsters, following the suggestion of adventurers they headed on the path towards the guild. In the guild, the two of them found out that they possessed unbelievably powerful magic. Thus the regular high school students transformed into the strongest cheats...

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

A little experience goes a long way.

So it begins in typical isekai fashion where childhood friends Taichi and Rin are summoned and thus, isekaied to another world. They come under attack right away, a party happens to conveniently be there to rescue them, and then they learn that they can't become adventurers to make enough money to make ends meet because their magical power is too strong. So they go see Lemiya and Myura to pick up their adventurer tags. So far, the OP card hasn't been played yet, but it shouldn't be too long knowing the show's title. While it's a mostly generic start, it's how they utilize the cliches and stuff seeing that it was done well in Wise Man's Grandchild. Compared to the other two isekais. while this one has weaker source material, the anime adaptions has done a better job with the execution. In any case, it's hard to say at this point whether it be worthwhile or not.

Like always, trial period rules apply and once I watch some more, I'll be able to form a better impression.
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
      Episode 1

A little experience goes a long way.

So it begins in typical isekai fashion where childhood friends Taichi and Rin are summoned and thus, isekaied to another world. They come under attack right away, a party happens to conveniently be there to rescue them, and then they learn that they can't become adventurers to make enough money to make ends meet because their magical power is too strong. So they go see Lemiya and Myura to pick up their adventurer tags. So far, the OP card hasn't been played yet, but it shouldn't be too long knowing the show's title. While it's a mostly generic start, it's how they utilize the cliches and stuff seeing that it was done well in Wise Man's Grandchild. Compared to the other two isekais. while this one has weaker source material, the anime adaptions has done a better job with the execution. In any case, it's hard to say at this point whether it be worthwhile or not.

Like always, trial period rules apply and once I watch some more, I'll be able to form a better impression.
      Re: Episode 1

Subtlety is not this title's strength...and I literally mean "title".

The prologue had my eyes rolling. Then we went to flashback mode and the result?

This show was actually pretty good. The bewilderment of Taichi and Rin was believable and understandable. Don't get me wrong, I didn't get Re: Zero or Konosuba levels of excellence vibes, just that this was, minus the prologue, a pretty solid start. We've got an interesting plot, with a secret summoning, a group of assassins who are out to stop the summons, and now kill or capture those summoned, with more to find out about this world.

This looks like a keeper, but it's still early days.
      My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
      1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
      2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
      3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 2

They got the power.

Lots more talking here as Taichi and Rin are revealed to be rare magicians and irregularities summoned by somebody that they are out to meet seeing that everywhere they go, they are bound to attract attention. So they go out and train to unlock their potential, and they learn pretty quickly at that. So it's off to their adventures they go. Pretty generic setup here as things are starting to come to what I was expecting, but at least it's put together the right way unlike another isekai show this season.

Comment

Episode 3

The adventure begins.

Taichi and Rin are on their first adventure dealing with the reason why goods in the town suddenly skyrocketed in price, and the reason is that monsters have been attacking the merchants shipping the goods, all while thieves have been stealing whatever is left of them. The thieves are girls, and as to be expected they are easily beaten by Taichi's newly found power, though two of them got away. Then there are the attackers to deal with in those orcs and ogres, which are again no problem for those two now with Myura joining the party. But the one triggering this chain of events is a wizard. Those two sure got themselves into quite a big problem now in light of all of this, and even though they are starting from the bottom, they are quickly rising in rank.

So with that, I'll give this show one more episode. While I have been enjoying it enough, it's certainly a show that doesn't do anything that hasn't been done a bazillion times already.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

So, tell me, why exactly did they leave an enemy masked after she had been captured?

Avatar: Tanya Degurechaff from Saga of Tanya the Evil

Comment

Episode 4

And then they fought.

That fight was as generic and cliched as it could possibly get. The good guys get beaten to a pulp, and then they tap into a hidden source of power to turn the tables. That's exactly what happened here, at least in Taichi's fight against Cassim as he was left for dead after that frost beast had his way. But making a deal with the, um, devil gave him the power he needed to beat Cassim and cut off one of his arms in the process coming at a huge cost as he's not doing well And then Rin and Myura fought and after being thrown for a loop, they come up with a tandem strategy to turn the tables. If an entire episode is dedicated to fighting, at least do something that's out of the ordinary, which this episode failed to do in a big way. I didn't expect much, and that's what I got given how this author's aim appears to be to make something as generic as possible and letting the isekai tag sell this show.

So with that the trial period has expired, and it looks like this show won't be able to cheat its way onto my watchlist. I'm not quite ready to finalize my decision, but unless there's room for one of this season's disappointing lineup of isekai shows, this show won't make the cut.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine
              Working...
              X