X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2019] Dr. Stone Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ドクターストーン

A show where Earth has been thrown back into the Stone Age after everybody gets petrified, and a high schooler wakes up into the future out to reinvent the wheel and create a civilization through science.

Airs: Friday, July 5, 2019

Studio: TMS Entertainment

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

One fateful day, all of humanity was petrified by a blinding flash of light. After several millennia, high schooler Taiju awakens and finds himself lost in a world of statues. However, he?s not alone! His science-loving friend Senku?s been up and running for a few months and he's got a grand plan in mind?to kickstart civilization with the power of science!

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Lecia Ivyred, The Rising of the Shield Hero
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Things are about to get rocky.

So it begins with humanity becoming petrified after a mysterious light turned everything into stone, and it happens just before Taiju could confess to his girlfriend Yuzuriha. 3700 years later, Taiju has broken from his petrification while Senku had been hard at work trying to turn everybody back. Slowly but surely, it's happening as he has been testing his potions on birds, and finally succeeds. Senku is quite the mad scientist there, and it's a good thing seeing that he's the key to reviving humanity. Senku and Taiju sure are developing an interesting bond.

SO with that, trial rules apply once more, though with the manga for this show being so popular that it shouldn't take long to lock it in.
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

Everybody will be saved.

Tsukasa is unpetrified as Senku and Taiju just aren't strong enough to fend off against attackers, all while the MMA fighter is, so Yuzuriha's revival is put on hold, all while Tsukasa beats those lions into submission. He's quite a helpful guy to have around, but the ending was pretty unsettling as Tsukasa only wants the young to rebuild this society, all while Senku is determined to save everybody. That difference in philosophy is setting things into motion in a big way.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
        Episode 2

Everybody will be saved.

Tsukasa is unpetrified as Senku and Taiju just aren't strong enough to fend off against attackers, all while the MMA fighter is, so Yuzuriha's revival is put on hold, all while Tsukasa beats those lions into submission. He's quite a helpful guy to have around, but the ending was pretty unsettling as Tsukasa only wants the young to rebuild this society, all while Senku is determined to save everybody. That difference in philosophy is setting things into motion in a big way.
        Re: Episodes 1 & 2

A rocky start and a stone cold psycho superman killer.

Episode 1 was a lot of fun and a great start. Episode 2, however, brings in Kal-El, son of Krypton, who in this world landed in Japan, was frozen with everyone else, and gets awakened to save Senku and Taiju from lions, where Kal-El one shots a lion to death, driving them off. Everything's great, right up to the moment Kal-El starts punching off the heads of frozen adults, killing them, because a drunk adult beat the crap out of him as a kid for picking up seashells on the adult's property.

Okay, good luck one-shotting a male lion , which weighs anywhere from 342 to 426 pounds, WITH YOUR FIST!! Only if you really are Kal-El.

So, with that destruction of my sense of disbelief (yeah, yeah, encased in stone for 3700 years, blah, blah, blah, I know, not a nature documentary), we establish Tsukasa as a super bad-ass.

And so, the show gets its villain and man vs. man conflict.

I just wish they'd done this better: Using his stone encased hands, for example, or have him holding a stainless steel weapon of some kind, something that makes it more believable than an unarmed man killing a lion with one punch. Saitama only exists in his own universe. The reason I'm ranting about this is that this show is allegedly science based, and yet by episode 2, we're ignoring the physical laws of our own universe. The hypocrisy irritates me.

Well, enough of that. With that I'm just going to go with the fantasy of it, and see how enjoyable the rest of the show is.
        My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
        1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
        2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
        3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine
        Working...
        X