Widgets Magazine

Currently Watching (Spring 2019 Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post-simulcast Report: June 1-15

The season is finished, but I have yet to do my post-simulcast report for the first half of June. So here it is.

Completed

^Mysteria Friends (1-10): B-
    This is a show where there's not a lot going on as it focuses on only one thing and accomplishes that. The animation is nice while the characters are interesting, the atmosphere is inviting, and it has decent character development for a short. But in the end there's pretty much no story to it all and there are several stretches of nothingness going on. That said, it sets out to be a slice of life show in the quasi Rage of Bahamut universe and it accomplishes that objective.

^UQ Holder (1-12): C-
    This is another poor attempt at adapting a Ken Akamatsu work into anime as they are notoriously difficult to do, especially with only one cour's worth of episodes. That said, this show does some things well with solid animation, interesting characters, and a plot full of intrigue, but the execution was all over the place, especially at the end. This is more of a show that Negima fans can appreciate than the general audience largely because of its difficulty to adapt. That said, the show cuts a lot of corners with the story and rushes things to make it another busted Akamatsu adaptation.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable (35-39): A+
    This is easily the best series of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure the corrects a lot of the problems that prevented the first two seasons from achieving perfection. The story doesn't have storywriting issues that hindered the first season, and it doesn't do the repetitive stand-of-the-week stuff essentially from start to finish that Stardust Crusaders does. This season tells a strong story from start to finish, and it helps that the main villain is playing a far more meaningful role. While the action is what this show thrives on, this season it knew how to use it effectively, all while telling a story that far surpasses that of the first two seasons. In all, it's a well-written show that flows.

School Babysitters Special: B+

Ongoing

[BKI-3] Baki (17-20)
    [DBZ-S] Dragon Ball Super (108-111)
    [HXH] Hunter x Hunter (144-145)
    ^[KGR-2] Kakegurui xx (1-8)
    [KKM] Kyo Kara Maoh (1-14)
    ^[PNL] The Promised Neverland (7-10)
    ^[SAO-A] Sword Art Online: Alicization (17-20)
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Angelina Kudo Shields, The Irregular at Magic High School
    Watching: Re: Hamatora, Citrus, Demon Lord Retry, Buddyfight Ace
    Simulcasts: EES-2, HIQ-4, GKY-3, IMH-2, DUN-3, IOR-3, STW-3, A3A-2, INU-Y, KHO, DBG, HIG-G, JJK, MTP, TKW, A3A, ASH, ADV, TSZ, K3B, MWZ, SLP, JEL, SDF, GBF-G, RRQ, DCF, 1RM-3
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Post-simulcast Report: June 1-15

Alright, I was extremely busy this past month that I didn't bother to do my final post-simulcast report of spring until just now. Seeing that I finished a lot of simulcasts that unlike with previous reports I include them in this report, but not writing reviews for this post. Like always, shows are listed in order I finished watching for completed shows and in alphabetical order for ongoing, and I am using the following symbols once again to indicate simulcasts and rewatches:

* indicates a simulcast
      ^ indicates a show being rewatched

Completed

^Kakegurui xx (9-12): B+
      Pretty much, the same thought as the first season apply to this season as the show thrives on characters, drama, and artwork, while the story is on the weak side, the pacing could have picked up a big, and the anime-original ending didn't exactly leave the best of impressions.

*Senryu Girl: B+

*Hitori Bocchi no Marumaru Seikatsu: B

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of the Gods: B
      Having already watched Dragon Ball Super, this movie feels pretty familiar seeing that this came out before Super. This movie does a nice job in introducing the new characters and utilize action and humor nicely for a satisfying movie. Not the best of works, but it does a great job in appealing to the Dragon Ball faithful.

Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F: B-
      Pretty much, the same thoughts as Battle of the Gods here, but with storytelling on the weaker side. While it does a nice job to appeal to the fans of this franchise, it's more about glorifying Frieza than anything seeing that he was such a memorable villain. That said, it was another nice piece of action there, but one that wasn't really put together in the best of ways.

Hunter x Hunter (146-148): A+
      This show has it all and it's no wonder why it's up there as one of the GOAT candidates. Everything is just clicking on all cylinders and while the original series is great as well, it had too much tentativeness seeing that it came out as the manga was being made. This series was well-paced, well-animated, and above all character development was just off the charts, especially with the Chimera Ant arc. If there was one gripe about this show, it would be how Gon's father goes off and disappears for a great portion of this show. But in all, this show does everything right to tell a complete story.

*AfterLost: D+

*Yatogame-chan Kansatsu Nikki: C-

*Dororo: A-

Baki (21-26): C+
      The show is built on ridiculous action that mirrors JoJo's Bizarre Adventure's artstyle. The show does a great job with the action and character development, but the story was just felt so fragmented that it was hard to make sense of everything that was going on. It just didn't feel like one big story as it should be and many little ones stitched together. In all, it was a show I had a hard time getting into, but managed to do just enough to make it to the end.

*The [email protected]: Cinderella Girls Theater Climax Season: C+

*Isekai Quartet: B+

*Strike Witches: 501st Joint Fighter Wing Take Off!: D

*The Rising of the Shield Hero: A

*The Helpful Fox Senko-san: B+

*Wise Man's Grandchild: C+

*Karakuri Circus: B-

*Bungo Stray Dogs season 3: B+

*We Never Learn: B-

*Attack on Titan season 3: A+

^The Promised Neverland (11-12): A+
      This is one of the best shows of the year as everything was clicking. But above all, the drama was just off-the-charts amazing. It helped that it had a strong story with great character development and nice animation. But nevertheless, the drama is what carries this show in a big way.

Ongoing

[DBZ-S] Dragon Ball Super (112-116)
      [KKM] Kyo Kara Maoh! (15-22)
      ^[SAO-A] Sword Art Online: Alicization (21-22)
      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Angelina Kudo Shields, The Irregular at Magic High School
      Watching: Re: Hamatora, Citrus, Demon Lord Retry, Buddyfight Ace
      Simulcasts: EES-2, HIQ-4, GKY-3, IMH-2, DUN-3, IOR-3, STW-3, A3A-2, INU-Y, KHO, DBG, HIG-G, JJK, MTP, TKW, A3A, ASH, ADV, TSZ, K3B, MWZ, SLP, JEL, SDF, GBF-G, RRQ, DCF, 1RM-3
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Spring 2019 Final Thoughts

First Impressions

Now that the final two episodes of JoJo have finally aired a month after everything else, I can put this post together. Unfortunately, I don't really have the time to make any commentary right now. This is the first time I've been caught up on simulcasts in a week, and it's looking like I'll be busy with other things for the next few days as well. I do have to use what little time I have right now to talk about this season's masterpiece, though. For elaboration on anything else you're interested in, you'll have to ask me directly.

New For Spring 2019:

The first number and icon is the number of spots and direction the series moved on the given ranking. The second is the number and direction of possible grades it moved. The former is obviously only relative to the other series around it, and the latter may show a movement of "00" even if my opinion of it did go up or down, if it wasn't enough to change the grade.

00► 01▲ 01. Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 (A+) I hate to call it "Attack on Titan" with how this season revealed how inappropriate of a translation that was for "Shingeki no Kyojin" for major plot reasons, but whatever you call it, it absolutely made those three months of anime (mostly just two months, May and June). I'm similarly annoyed that this isn't considered its own season, since it aired separately from the original "Season 3," followed a completely different arc, and stands on its own in terms of quality so drastically, but I'll still refer to it as "a season" in most contexts. The fifth episode of this season, entitled "Hero," is the single greatest and most perfect thing I have seen in recent memory, with its closest contender being its immediate predecessor, entitled "Perfect Game." While I've invested myself in anime and related material far more than anything else, I was starting to feel like anime series lacked the episode-to-episode gripping sensation of top-tier English-language drama series, but watching these episodes two weeks in a row captivated me like nothing else. As much as I wanted the series to be one of the greatest from the earliest days of its adaptation when it had overtaken the zeitgeist in an unprecedented fashion, I had given up on any hope that it would become this amazing, especially six years later, peaking in the middle of a (second half of a) season that's not even the final one, no less. No matter where it goes in the forthcoming Final Season, nothing can detract from the unquestionable quality of these episodes. Along with awarding it a rare A+, I currently place this installment in my top 15 anime of all time, the highest TV series since a season of Gintama from four years prior.
        01▲ 01▲ 02. Kimetsu no Yaiba (A-)
        03▲ 01▲ 03. Fruits Basket (2019) (B+)
        00► 00► 04. Diamond no Ace: Act II (B+)
        03▼ 00► 05. Bungou Stray Dogs 3rd Season (B+)
        03▲ 00► 06. Isekai Quartet (B-)
        02▼ 01▼ 07. One Punch Man 2nd Season (B-)
        01▼ 00► 08. Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san (B-)

Dropped:

01▼ 02▼ 09. Kenja no Mago (C) 6 episodes

Everything that Ended:

01. Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 (A+)
        02. JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken Part 5: Ougon no Kaze (A)
        03. Dororo (A-)
        04. Bungou Stray Dogs 3rd Season (B+)
        05. Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari (B+)
        06. Isekai Quartet (B-)
        07. One Punch Man 2nd Season (B-)
        08. Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san (B-)

Dropped:

09. Kenja no Mago (C) 6 episodes

Everything I'm Watching:

00► 01▲ 01. Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 (A+)
        01▲ 01▲ 02. JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken Part 5: Ougon no Kaze (A)
        01▲ 00► 03. One Piece (A-)
        02▼ 00► 04. Dororo (A-)
        03▲ 01▲ 05. Kimetsu no Yaiba (A-)
        01▼ 00► 06. Detective Conan (B+)
        05▲ 01▲ 07. Fruits Basket (2019) (B+)
        01▲ 00► 08. Diamond no Ace: Act II (B+)
        02▼ 00► 09. Bungou Stray Dogs 3rd Season (B+)
        04▼ 00► 10. Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari (B+)
        01▼ 00► 11. Fairy Tail: Final Series (B+)
        03▲ 00► 12. Isekai Quartet (B-)
        02▼ 01▼ 13. One Punch Man 2nd Season (B-)
        01▼ 00► 14. Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san (B-)

Dropped:

01▼ 02▼ 15. Kenja no Mago (C) 6 episodes

Weekly Schedule:

Sunday (1): Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2
        Monday (1): Dororo
        Tuesday (3): Diamond no Ace: Act II, Isekai Quartet, One Punch Man 2nd Season
        Wednesday (2): Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san
        Thursday (0):
        Friday (3): JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken Part 5: Ougon no Kaze, Fruits Basket (2019), Bungou Stray Dogs 3rd Season
        Saturday (4): One Piece, Kimetsu no Yaiba, Detective Conan, Fairy Tail: Final Series
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine
        Working...