X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2019] Wise Man's Grandchild Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    賢者の孫

An isekai about a man dying in the real work and reborn in another as the grandson of a sage who is talented with magic, but not so much with social skills as he never experienced society until now.

Airs: Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Studio: Silver Link

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Funimation

A young man who had surely died in an accident, was reborn in another world as a baby! After that, he was picked up by the patriot hero "Sage" Merlin Wolford and was given the name Shin. He was raised as a grandson by Merlin and soaked up Merlin's teachings, earning him some shocking powers; however, when he became 15, his grandfather Merlin said, "I forgot to teach him common sense!"

An "abnormal" boy's unconventional other world fantasy life starts here!

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
    Watching: Ingress, Ancient Magus' Bride, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Somebody teach him some common sense.

So it begins with Shin isekaied after being run over by a truck in Japan, and he nearly died again when he was reborn and his family was slaughtered by demons. But Merlin was there to save him and raise him as his grandson. Too bad Shin was raised around only adults as Merlin forgot to teach him common sense, and that's why he's off to school as while he's a talented mage, his social skills need a lot of work. All beginning with telling those thugs to hit on monsters and not girls. Pretty much, it's the standard isekai fare and it's decent enough that those who like these kinds of shows will enjoy it, but those who are just troped out by the overabundance of isekais probably won't.

As usual, trial period rules are in effect, so its fate will be decided after a few more episodes.
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
      Episode 1

Somebody teach him some common sense.

So it begins with Shin isekaied after being run over by a truck in Japan, and he nearly died again when he was reborn and his family was slaughtered by demons. But Merlin was there to save him and raise him as his grandson. Too bad Shin was raised around only adults as Merlin forgot to teach him common sense, and that's why he's off to school as while he's a talented mage, his social skills need a lot of work. All beginning with telling those thugs to hit on monsters and not girls. Pretty much, it's the standard isekai fare and it's decent enough that those who like these kinds of shows will enjoy it, but those who are just troped out by the overabundance of isekais probably won't.

As usual, trial period rules are in effect, so its fate will be decided after a few more episodes.
      Re: Episode 1

All aboard!

Well, I am. And while not every isekai show does it for me, a great many do. Plus, I've been enjoying the manga, so there.

I think that Buckeye has it right: If you've been tropped to death by these shows, this is probably not for you. If you're still loving isekai (almost) anything, then this is for you. I will say that eventually Shin gets what every OP character needs: OP opponents, though where it goes from there....?

The plus side for this looks to also be a fairly large cast, which can be fun. There's also potential where a character has no idea how OP he/she is: Tenchi Muyo: War on Gemminar showed how it could be done. World Break: Aria of Curse for a Holy Swordsman is another example of correctly handling an OP MC.

A salaryman with no life works late, and sleepy and distracted, walks into a crosswalk and gets runover by a speeding truck. He closes his eyes as he's dying on the streets of Tokyo, and opens them again as an infant, as an old man uses a magic spell on him. We next witness our MC as he grows from 8-15 in the care of his grandfather, Merlin Wolford, a powerful mage who lives out in the country by himself, save for a handyman who visits and does combat training for Shin Wolford, the name of our MC, and they're also regularly visited by Melinda Bowen, who Shin calls grandma.

Shin is OPed at an early age, and as he turns 15, reaching adulthood, we see that he has no idea that his regular visitor, "Uncle" Dis, is actually a king, or that Grandpa and Grandma are well known heroes (or that they used to be married, for that matter). For that matter, grandad's been teaching him magic, his "Uncle" Michel (former commander of the knights) has been training him in combat...but nothing about social skills or even basic knowledge of society or how the world works. Plus all he's been doing is hanging out in the forest with a few adults, no one of his own age. THen he shows off some super powerful explosive magic (Megumin would be soooo jelly).

So it's decided: Off to the royal capital and the Magic Academy for Shin, where he can have friends his own age and start to get the social skills and knowledge of society and how the world works. No sooner do they hit town then Shin starts to discover how revered his grandparents are, how magnificent their mansion is (given to them by the government for services rendered), complete with servants, and so Shin heads off to explore the city, and in doing so comes on 3 thugs harassing 2 girls. After mopping the floor with the thugs, Shin instantly falls head over heels for the busty blue-haired girl of the pair, which ends our episode, leading to the OP, where we see a whole bunch of cast members we've met and will meet in the future, with the busty, blue-haired girl prominently features as a love interest. Looks like no harem route here.

So, yeah, plenty of clich?s, plenty of isekai tropes and an OP MC. Still, this has a positive vibe to it, Shin's an interesting character, there are a lot of characters to find out about. I see anything to indicate Konosuba or Re: Zero brilliance, but this could still be a fun ride, though that ride will be more likely fun if you're a fan of isekai shows or are new to the genre.
      My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
      1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
      2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
      3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 2

Have some manners.

Shin's new life begins as he totally blows away the competition in the entrance exam as being trained by a hero, he is so OP that only a fraction of his power packs a lot more punch than what most candidates are capable of at their peak. But dealing with that jerk Kurt is another matter entirely after he tries to hit on Sicily, and it's a good thing August was there since Shin would have thrown the smack down on him knowing no common sense and that would have gotten him in quite a lot of trouble. So it's character introductions here as Shin makes friends with a hotheaded girl in Maria, a quiet one in Sicily, and his "cousin" in August, all while Kurt figures to be somebody who deserves to get smacked down by Shin as he's one of those guys who things that because he's royalty he can get away with anything.

Comment

Episode 3

How does it feel to take a life?

Shin has become a celebrity at the academy that everybody wants in on whatever study group he chooses, and he forms his own that specializes in becoming the ultimate mage, like what Shin is on the road to becoming. But just when things are going well, in comes Strom to turn Kurt into a demonoid, and while Shin is powerful, he couldn't save Kurt and he ends up reluctantly killing him in order to save the academy. That was pretty brutal there at the end as while Shin is being hailed as a hero for becoming the first student ever to take down a humanoid, Kurt's life weighs heavily on his mind. And now, Shin is about to go through some emotional turmoil.

So with that, I'll give it one more episode as while the show has been good out of the gates, it has been lacking in some key areas. But still, it's in a pretty good position despite its isekai cliches and all.

Comment

Episode 4

Making demonoids out of humans.

As it turns out, poor Kurt was being experimented on by Mr. Schtrom as he's out to make a demonoid army of his own. Everybody else sees Shin's deed as being heroic seeing that true demonoids are quite tough to defeat, especially for students. But this one was quite weak all while Kurt still retained the ability to speak. So they find out that Schtrom was behind it all, but just as Shin was about to defeat him, the teacher somehow got away. I had a feeling that something shady was going on, and Schtrom just reeked of suspicion from the start with the mask and everything. It will be intriguing to see where this goes.

So with that, the trial period is over and seeing that this show has been better than expected that I'm quite certain this will make the cut as one of the last shows in.

Comment

Episode 4

Making demonoids out of humans.

As it turns out, poor Kurt was being experimented on by Mr. Schtrom as he's out to make a demonoid army of his own. Everybody else sees Shin's deed as being heroic seeing that true demonoids are quite tough to defeat, especially for students. But this one was quite weak all while Kurt still retained the ability to speak. So they find out that Schtrom was behind it all, but just as Shin was about to defeat him, the teacher somehow got away. I had a feeling that something shady was going on, and Schtrom just reeked of suspicion from the start with the mask and everything. It will be intriguing to see where this goes.

So with that, the trial period is over and seeing that this show has been better than expected that I'm quite certain this will make the cut as one of the last shows in.
              Re: Episode 4

This continues to be a fun isekai show, with the OP MC actually making sense here. Magic in this world is about visualization, and Shin comes from a world with greater knowledge about many things and an immense range of visualization possibilities. Here, his big attack is about him visualizing all the different types of light waves and forging them together as an immense beam. Since no one on this world has the knowledge of the different types of light, no one else could do what he did.

He's still extremely OP, but the surrounding cast is nice, and he is a pleasant character himself. Far from the best show of the season, this is still an enjoyable show, helped by a large supporting cast, and a cute love interest.
              My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
              1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
              2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and

Comment

Episode 5

Stand by him.

This episode pretty much defines Shin's character as he's none too thrilled that everybody is celebrating his "heroic" deeds in taking down a demonoid that's just a small fry. As such, he's now a celebrity at the school and he has to use gate magic in order to avoid the mob. But above all, it's all about his friends looking up to him and doing everything they can to support each other. So after all that, a war is brewing, and that ending there is pretty ominous. Nevertheless, the friends have his back, but they aren't exactly pleased that he's willing to step onto the battlefield unless students are needed, so that's something that could define Shin as a person down the line, and it figures to be how this season ends.

Comment

Episode 6

Get ready for war.

Strom has made his move taking out the Blufsia Empire with ease and unleashing his demonoid army. With war on the horizon, the students are training, and boy do they have a long way to go. It doesn't exactly help that they were more focused on the ladies and the hot shot instructors than on becoming better soldiers seeing that they were having trouble with a weaker demon, all while Shin made quick work of hundreds of them that includes a super-strong tiger spirit. Pretty nice way for the kids to come together, but man that CG dancing ending came out of nowhere. I thought that the dancer was Maria at first, until realizing that she doesn't have a cowlick and her eyes aren't the same color. Anyway, these kids are learning, but they need to change their mentalities seeing that Strom is just ruthless.

Comment

Episode 6

Get ready for war.

Strom has made his move taking out the Blufsia Empire with ease and unleashing his demonoid army. With war on the horizon, the students are training, and boy do they have a long way to go. It doesn't exactly help that they were more focused on the ladies and the hot shot instructors than on becoming better soldiers seeing that they were having trouble with a weaker demon, all while Shin made quick work of hundreds of them that includes a super-strong tiger spirit. Pretty nice way for the kids to come together, but man that CG dancing ending came out of nowhere. I thought that the dancer was Maria at first, until realizing that she doesn't have a cowlick and her eyes aren't the same color. Anyway, these kids are learning, but they need to change their mentalities seeing that Strom is just ruthless.
                    Yeah, more fun, but the entire episode is second to...

WTF was with that CG dance ending?

The ED singer isn't a vocaloid, so it's just a mystery.

As to the rest: The episode is a bit scattered, and doesn't flow that well following the preceding episode, as the invasion by the Empire seems to be well underway, only for the Empire to learn that the capital is under attack by demons. The emperor seems to recognize Strom, and gets blown away. The Kingdom forces follow, but retreat upon seeing the demonoids.

The rest of the episode deals with the Magic Class having joint training with the Knight class, with the knight students looking down on the magicusers. Comeuppance assured.

A nice enough isekai show, but nothing groundbreaking here.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                    Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                    Widgets Magazine
                    Working...
                    X