X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2019] Midnight Occult Civil Servants Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    真夜中のオカルト公務員

A supernatural show about a group of civil servants who investigate and deal with the paranormal.

Airs: Sunday, April 7, 2019

Studio: Liden Films

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Miyako Arata is newly assigned to the Shinjuku Ward Office's Nighttime Regional Relations Department. Each of Tokyo's 23 wards has one such department, established to mitigate paranormal and occult-related events. Arata's special skill is the understanding of non-human speech, and the story begins with him encountering a youkai at Shinjuku Gyoen park who refers to him as the legendary Heian-era exorcist, Abe no Seimei.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Lecia Ivyred, The Rising of the Shield Hero
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Angel wings, please guide me an the tengus.

So it starts off with some quick introductions, and then the first case involving an angel that was made visible with a special type of spray. And then the angels pop out just like that as they don't get along with the tengus. But everything is all and well once those guys went to work (and indeed, everybody is a guy including Seo and that dark-skinned person). Well, there just wasn't much that this episode had to offer as the case was incredibly dull, though I like how the visuals were being used to indicate location.

As usual, the trial period rules apply, but given how I just wasn't feeling it with this show that it's on the outside looking in. Again, I won't make a decision right away.
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

The cat returns.

This episode explains Arata's background as he's Abe no Seimei. And his pet cat from a long time ago in Yuki is no ordinary cat. Then he meets Suzu, a cute girl who is a spirit and her hair got stolen. And a break-in happens at a store Arata and company get stuff from frequently. This is a better episode than the first as at the very least it's less over the place, but still this show hasn't gotten me invested in it. Perhaps the appearance of that lady-like man could change my mind about this show.

Comment

Episode 3

What a wily coyote.

This episode introduces Kohaku, a coyote spirit who has taken the form of a feminine-looking man, and he's full of mischief. This guy went so far as to kidnap four girls and raised a zombie brigade, all just to get Seimei to acknowledge him. That was not a funny prank to say the least, and there were much better ways at doing that, but Kohaku just wanted to have his fun.

So I guess I'll give it one more episode, but it doesn't look like I'm long for this show. It suffers from boring stretches and mediocre animation, a combination that just doesn't make it something I need to be watching.

Comment

Episode 4

Drinking the years away.

So now it becomes a drinking party where a police officer gets kidnapped by an Another, and to get him back Arata and company has to drink with him and keep up with him. Of course, humans just don't have that kind of tolerance for alcohol that a spirit would, but they did find someone who would be willing to keep drinking with him as Arata got a bunch of moneys to come to the party so that they can slip away. That was rather stupid, but it goes to show that these spirits are all about having a good time, however that might be.

So with that, the trial period has ended, and I don't feel motivated to go on with this show, so that will will be it.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine
          Working...
          X