X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2019] Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    鬼滅の刃

A show set in ancient times where a boy is determined to kill all demons after they killed his family, but things get complicated when his sister ends up being transformed into a demon, and now his quest is to make her a human again.

Airs: Saturday, April 6, 2018

Studio: Ufotable

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Since ancient times, rumors have abounded of man-eating demons lurking in the woods. Because of this, the local townsfolk never venture outside at night. Legend has it that a demon slayer also roams the night, hunting down these bloodthirsty demons. For young Tanjirou, these rumors will soon to become his harsh reality...

Ever since the death of his father, Tanjirou has taken it upon himself to support his family. Although their lives may be hardened by tragedy, they've found happiness. But that ephemeral warmth is shattered one day when Tanjirou finds his family slaughtered and the lone survivor, his sister Nezuko, turned into a demon. To his surprise, however, Nezuko still shows signs of human emotion and thought...

Thus begins Tanjirou's quest to fight demons and turn his sister human again.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
    Watching: Ingress, Ancient Magus' Bride, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Something cruel is about to happen.

That was just a punch to the gut there for Tanjiro. As if having his family slaughtered by demons isn't bad enough, his sister and only survivor Nezuko was poisoned by demon blood to become a demon herself. Just when all hope of saving her was lost, the soldier did manage to find a way to keep her demon instincts under wraps. Quite a story that was, and Ufotable's animation really looks great, all while Yuki Kajiura's soundtrack really brought out the show's emotional drama.
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

He's got a lot to learn.

With that mouthguard on, Nezuko can't speak, but she is fighting for Tanjiro's sake as she saved him from that demon. And Sakonji lets Tanjiro know that his line of thinking just won't cut it. So off to the mountains for some extreme training that sure did change his perspective. Pretty nice way to get Tanjiro to wake up to reality, and while he still holds his sister near and dear to him, his mindset needs some adjustments to say the least as being under Sakonji's mentorship will go a long way towards his goal.

Comment

Episode 3

That just won't cut it. But this will.

Urokodaki's training sure is brutal, but that's not even the worst of it as Tanjiro just isn't getting stronger where he needs to be. That's something that Makomo points out after Sabito beat him to a pulp with just a wooden sword, and Makomo is quite observant seeing that she pinpointed exactly where Tanjiro needs improvement. And after six more months of training, Tanjiro cuts Sabito's mask in a duel and then splits the boulder to pass the test. Very nice develpoment there as all of it is beautifully animated.

Comment

Episode 4

Eating disciples for lunch.

Now that Tanjiro has completed Urokodaki's training that it's now off to the final selection where he has to survive for a week in a demon-infested forest. And it's especially personal as there's a huge demon that Urokodaki captured 47 years ago, and has since been taking revenge by eating his disciples. Among them are Sabito and Makomo as those two are actually dead, so it remains to be seen just who those two that appeared before Tanjiro the last time are. Pretty much, it goes to show that his focus means everything, and he just doesn't have the same amount of oomph to his swings when he's not breathing correctly as by doing it correctly, he cut down that demon that has a tough neck. This show just continues to deliver on the visuals and stuff, and it's developing Tanjiro's character pretty nicely.

Comment

Episode 5

Final four.

The test ends, and only four of the soldiers remain after starting things out with 20, and one of them is none too pleased about waiting for his sword as he wants to slay demons right off the bat. But Tanjiro takes the coolheaded approach as he knows all too well that there's no shortcut to becoming a highly-ranked demon slayer. And with that, he gets a new sword and a talking crow at his side. Pretty much, this is a transition episode going to highlight the dangers of becoming a demon slayer and why such an extreme test was given to those seeking to become a soldier. Tanjiro sure passed with flying colors seeing that the morphed demon is something no trainee can be expected to take down.

Comment

Episode 6

Demons are the enemy, but not this one.

Tanjiro is now a soldier, and his first mission is out a tough one as he is to take out a demon that had been abducting girls throughout town, and he's quite the elusive one as he strikes from the shadows. While Tanjiro is strong, that isn't going to help him if he can't hit his target. But he has Nezuko conveniently tucked away on his back to help him out and she proved her worth as a demon in quite a big way. It's a great thing Tanjiro won't give up on his sister, and it has paid off in this case. Next time, he meets the guy who apparently knows how to turn Nezuko back to a human.

Comment

Episode 7

Going under.

Thanks to Nezuko, Tanjiro can go on the offensive while Nezuko defends the guy, and while they moved in unusual ways under the swamp, that's no problem for Tanjiro. But then he encounters Muzan, who is a demon who acts human, and he's the person Tanjiro was after who could make Nezuko a human again. It will be interesting to see what Muzan's deal is seeing that he has a family, and I have to think he was human seeing that he does have a family, and only recently became a demon, but he found a way to stop his demon instincts from completely controlling him. In any case, Tanjiro was acting too rash and it was only because of the girl that he kept his sword in its sheath.

Comment

Re: Episodes 1-7

This is a very binge -worthy show. I watched episodes 1-2, then 3, then 4-7. We've had enough cliffhangers in this show, that binging feels right. The artistry, action, color and animation of this show is just stellar,

A few things: Muzan - Nope, not a New Kid on the Block. We're told earlier that he's at least 1,000 years old.
                  -Punches not pulled. We continue to get blood, death, tragedy, horror and heartbreak with this show.
                  -Kids taking the SAT and ACT should watch the "exam" episodes. Instant perspective.

Gah, so much more. But it's late, so no long rant tonight. Suffice to say that this is easily one of the best shows of the season.
                  My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                  1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                  2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                  3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 8

Doctor is in the house.

Muzan shows exactly why Tanjiro is so hellbent on killing him as his ability to turn humans into demons is second to none, of course happening while his family is away. And then he meets someone who is a doctor who is determined to make demons human again, though that's not going to be easy seeing that she only was able to stop them from going berserk. She has been collecting a lot of blood, but Nezuko's blood is one that she really wants to get her hands on. It will be interesting to see how things develop seeing that while Tanjiro just wants his sister back, this could potentially save all the humans infected by demons. But if they have any chance to succeed, first they must withstand a sudden attack there at the end. Pretty much, this was the hope Tanjiro was looking for, and it was nice to see that they have a lead.

Comment

Re: Episode 8

Muzan is being set up as a hell of a villain. Powerful stuff. Good to see Tanjiro get some solid allies that can really turn things around as well.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 9

That's the way the ball bounces.

So the attackers are Yahaba and Susamaru, who serve under that creep Muzan. Susamaru's temari balls are quite tricky to deal with as they don't bounce the way normal balls do. Nope, Yahaba's arrows are dictating how they bounce, and they end up beheading Yushiro and befooting Nezuko, but because they are demons that they were able to regenerate. That ball and arrow combination made for quite a lot of trouble, but of course Tanjiro finds a way to slay Yahaba by twisting in the same way the arrows do, and then changing up his technique so that it attacks horizontally this time instead of vertically. Now that the arrow demon is out of the way, he now needs to finish off the temari demon.

Comment

Episode 9

I'm so glad this series is turning out to be as great as it clearly had potential to be. If Attack on Titan wasn't being the best thing ever right now, this would absolutely be the highlight of the spring season. I love a lot of ufotable's work on TYPE-MOON properties, but other than looking pretty, I haven't found many of their other productions to do much for me, so I'm glad this is great in so many ways. Always a perfect fit to have Kajiura accompanying their work as well; even if she's only co-composer here, her contributions are as incredible as always and wisely used for the most cinematic moments.

This episode was full of top-notch choreography executed flawlessly, and the villains' powers are inventive, terrifying, and creatively depicted. I really appreciate how, even though these two are obviously just minions, their threat still feels as critical as any. That's a very good sign.
                          My Top Anime | Manga
                          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                          My FP Reviews | Twitter
                          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 9

Intensity at work. This episode just goes all out on the action, and the result is an outstanding combination of action and blood. This show is just outstanding, putting the heroes totally through the wringer, and making every victory fell fully earned.
                            My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                            1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                            2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                            3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 10

Demons cannot kill demons.

And after a cinematic battle last time, it ends pretty quickly as Tanjiro takes out Yahaba, while Tamayo places a curse on Susamaru to put someone deceived by Muzan out of her misery. That kickball fight between Nezuko and Susamaru is really amusing. So after all that, Tanjiro knows some more about the demons, and while he could have left Nezuko with Tamayo, of course she was going to come along seeing that this is a journey he wants to embark with his sister. Next time, the third MC makes his appearance at long last.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X