X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2019] The Magnificent Kotobuki Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    荒野のコトブキ飛行隊

A show about about an all-girls squadron in a wasteland helping others survive.

Airs: Sunday, January 13, 2019

Studio: Gemba

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    HIDIVE

In a barren frontier where people trade goods with each other in order to help each other survive. The Kotobuki Squadron are bodyguards for hire, led by a strict but beautiful squadron leader, an unreliable commanding officer, and a true artisan of a crew chief. Alongside pilots who don't lack for personality, they take to the air in dogfights, letting the engine noise of their Hayabusa fighters ring out in the skies.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Super Bowl LIII from Atlanta
    Watching: Loki Ragnarok, Tsurune, Leviathan, Chaos;Child, Coppelion, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Shot down in the sky.

So it begins with a lot of action, and not a lot of story as the girls are hanging around inside a blimp, but then they get attacked by pirates. And when she was ordered to return, Kylie goes and pursues that place because of the logo on it, and nearly gets shot down herself in doing so. Well, this was mostly action, and the animation just feels lazy here seeing that it dragged out the action scenes, and makes me believe that the show didn't have enough content for this episode, so it stretched things out.

So like always, the trial rules apply. Seeing that the Sunday lineup is pretty abysmal this season that I might feel inclined to watch this as it's the only full-length show on Sunday. In any case, it is subjected to the usual trial rule treatment.
    Watching: Loki Ragnarok, Tsurune, Leviathan, Chaos;Child, Coppelion, Toonami Stuff
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

Lack of teamwork won't fly.

Kylie and Chika sure don't work well together, and with the enemy well-organized this time that it wasn't until those two finally work together to take down those pirates. Pretty much, it's much like the first episode in that the first half just feels dragged out, while the second half is where things got interesting, only this time it's the action portion that was nicely done. The first half just was boring and mostly pointless, especially the part where Kylie starts a brawl because those thugs ruined her pancakes, but at least it does a better job in the second half. Moving forward, I'm hoping for a more complex plot as it feels like it's spending too much time stretching and dragging out the plot.

Comment

Episode 3

All that time trying to motivate the town to defend itself and they still lost the plane. Even more so because we spent most of the episode with the Mayor wanting to avoid making a choice and when he does, the plane is taken. To be fair though, they still conclude that the important thing was being motivated to do something and the Mayor did act to help others, so not a total loss.

The use of first person view and other such things has been interesting. I also ship CHIKA and KYLIE, there is no way those two aren't hating each other in bed. Yeah the characters are definitely split into pairs.

Can't wait for the tragic plot twist where KYLIE betrays her entire team for pancake. I could see that happening. At least in bonus extras anyway.,
        "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
        Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Re: Episode 3

An offer they can't refuse.

Here comes Elite Industries and they are after the town's prized plane willing to exchange it for a rare painting that could be sold for quite a high price, but they absolutely refuse. However, those guys just won't take no for an answer, so they attack the town and the Kotobuki girls fight back thinking that they would still go through with destroying the town even if they had agreed to the deal. But it ended in defeat as Emma gets shot down, but survives, and the mayor tries to fly the plane himself and he had to agree to the deal on the spot in order to make it out alive. At least these guys kept their word, so everybody lives to fight another day. It was bound to happen sooner or later that the girls would be defeated, and at least it happens against an enemy that's more focused on business than actually causing destruction.

Comment

Episode 4

Painting a different picture.

So after that setback, the girls go in and take that plane back, and they did it with style as Zara disguised herself as a dancer to infiltrate the base and get the keys to the Raiden from the girl who painted that picture. As it turns out, the HR chief has an agenda of his own as he got close to the boss, and then betrays him swiping their planes to form a pirate crew of his own. Those girls shows their resilience there, but it also helped that not everybody was on the same page at Elite Industries.

So with that, the trial period has ended, and I'm not sure which way I'm leaning at this time as I make my final cuts for the season's watchlist.

Comment

Episode 5

Magic in the sky.

Here comes Isao, and he has a few screws loose seeing that he almost ran over Chika, and apologized by doing a magic trick in front of her. But his flying skills are no joke, and as it turns out he once saved Reona when she was shot down and about to bite the dust. And boy did they need him, especially after Kate got shot down and had to retreat. The action there was good, though I question having Isao doing all those party tricks in the middle of combat.

So with that, I'll at least give this show an extended trial as it's one of two shows in the running for the last spot on my season watchlist.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine
              Working...
              X