X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2019] The Magnificent Kotobuki Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    荒野のコトブキ飛行隊

A show about about an all-girls squadron in a wasteland helping others survive.

Airs: Sunday, January 13, 2019

Studio: Gemba

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    HIDIVE

In a barren frontier where people trade goods with each other in order to help each other survive. The Kotobuki Squadron are bodyguards for hire, led by a strict but beautiful squadron leader, an unreliable commanding officer, and a true artisan of a crew chief. Alongside pilots who don't lack for personality, they take to the air in dogfights, letting the engine noise of their Hayabusa fighters ring out in the skies.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
    Watching: Stellvia, Baki, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Shot down in the sky.

So it begins with a lot of action, and not a lot of story as the girls are hanging around inside a blimp, but then they get attacked by pirates. And when she was ordered to return, Kylie goes and pursues that place because of the logo on it, and nearly gets shot down herself in doing so. Well, this was mostly action, and the animation just feels lazy here seeing that it dragged out the action scenes, and makes me believe that the show didn't have enough content for this episode, so it stretched things out.

So like always, the trial rules apply. Seeing that the Sunday lineup is pretty abysmal this season that I might feel inclined to watch this as it's the only full-length show on Sunday. In any case, it is subjected to the usual trial rule treatment.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

Lack of teamwork won't fly.

Kylie and Chika sure don't work well together, and with the enemy well-organized this time that it wasn't until those two finally work together to take down those pirates. Pretty much, it's much like the first episode in that the first half just feels dragged out, while the second half is where things got interesting, only this time it's the action portion that was nicely done. The first half just was boring and mostly pointless, especially the part where Kylie starts a brawl because those thugs ruined her pancakes, but at least it does a better job in the second half. Moving forward, I'm hoping for a more complex plot as it feels like it's spending too much time stretching and dragging out the plot.

Comment

Episode 3

All that time trying to motivate the town to defend itself and they still lost the plane. Even more so because we spent most of the episode with the Mayor wanting to avoid making a choice and when he does, the plane is taken. To be fair though, they still conclude that the important thing was being motivated to do something and the Mayor did act to help others, so not a total loss.

The use of first person view and other such things has been interesting. I also ship CHIKA and KYLIE, there is no way those two aren't hating each other in bed. Yeah the characters are definitely split into pairs.

Can't wait for the tragic plot twist where KYLIE betrays her entire team for pancake. I could see that happening. At least in bonus extras anyway.,
        "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
        Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Re: Episode 3

An offer they can't refuse.

Here comes Elite Industries and they are after the town's prized plane willing to exchange it for a rare painting that could be sold for quite a high price, but they absolutely refuse. However, those guys just won't take no for an answer, so they attack the town and the Kotobuki girls fight back thinking that they would still go through with destroying the town even if they had agreed to the deal. But it ended in defeat as Emma gets shot down, but survives, and the mayor tries to fly the plane himself and he had to agree to the deal on the spot in order to make it out alive. At least these guys kept their word, so everybody lives to fight another day. It was bound to happen sooner or later that the girls would be defeated, and at least it happens against an enemy that's more focused on business than actually causing destruction.

Comment

Episode 4

Painting a different picture.

So after that setback, the girls go in and take that plane back, and they did it with style as Zara disguised herself as a dancer to infiltrate the base and get the keys to the Raiden from the girl who painted that picture. As it turns out, the HR chief has an agenda of his own as he got close to the boss, and then betrays him swiping their planes to form a pirate crew of his own. Those girls shows their resilience there, but it also helped that not everybody was on the same page at Elite Industries.

So with that, the trial period has ended, and I'm not sure which way I'm leaning at this time as I make my final cuts for the season's watchlist.

Comment

Episode 5

Magic in the sky.

Here comes Isao, and he has a few screws loose seeing that he almost ran over Chika, and apologized by doing a magic trick in front of her. But his flying skills are no joke, and as it turns out he once saved Reona when she was shot down and about to bite the dust. And boy did they need him, especially after Kate got shot down and had to retreat. The action there was good, though I question having Isao doing all those party tricks in the middle of combat.

So with that, I'll at least give this show an extended trial as it's one of two shows in the running for the last spot on my season watchlist.

Comment

Episode 6

You don't fly a plane, they fly on their own.

Kylie is stranded after getting shot down when a solo mission goes horribly wrong and managing to somehow land the plane in the middle of nowhere. While she's waiting at the bottom of the canyon, she remembers all of her flying lessons that her grandfather taught her. It's a great thing he taught her well as she made it out thanks to her skills. While it remains to be seen just what the deal was when her grandfather was approached asking him to return to doing research just before her childhood home was set ablaze, she remembers quite well what he taught her about flying seeing that she managed to put things together and return to safety. Kylie sure was raised well to become an expert at piloting seeing that she otherwise wouldn't have made it out of that mess.

So with that, the extended trial period is over, and this is one of two shows vying for the last spot on my watchlist, and I must say that this one currently has the upper hand. I haven't officially made a decision, but I'm leaning towards this being the last show in.

Comment

Episode 7

Her mind is on fire.

This episode is focused on Kate as her brother Allen is in the hospital, and he could always use a good drink. It turns out that she's the scientific genius of the group as it saved the day. She bought quite a lot of cheap fuel for her plane, and it just didn't perform as well as the usual fuel from Nanko does. However, that refinery threatened to shut down when pirates attack and set the place ablaze to burn it all up, but thanks to Kate knowing where precisely to drop the bomb so that the dirt kicked up by the explosion extinguishes the flame. Great way to really get to know Kate as while her piloting skills aren't the best, it's her scientific mind that serves this unit well. In the meantime, it looks like they haven't seen the last of that enemy as they appear to be much more than just routine pirates.

Comment

Episode 8

Don't give up the ship.

The next job for the Kotobuki squadron is to deliver an expensive fish for a wedding ceremony, but along the way they encounter pirates who aren't like the others they have faced off before. These guys are not only pirates, but terrorists as they absolutely hate the guys running the town that they are threatening to crash the hijacked airship into town. And then there's Johnny the bartender who used to be an amazingly OP gunslinger before he retired from his line of work as a mercenary when he married Miki. He saves the day by taking up arms and channeling his former self to save the day. Quite a thrilling episode that was as this show continues to deliver with the action and drama, though lacking in a lot of other key areas.

Comment

Episode 9

To each, their own jobs.

This is mostly a laid-back episode here as the Kotobuki Squadron members are performing their own jobs, except for Kirie that stays behind. Well, that changed when she got a job to fly Allen around, but then she gets shot down, but they got through this situation by playing dead, and then getting rescued. While that's going on, things really intensify there at the end with Isao up to no good and using force to get his way. So this episode is just setting the stage for something big to go down to end this show as there is a lot of political chaos going on as Isao is doing whatever he needs to do to realize his ambition.

Comment

Episode 10

Not putting this place full of holes.

Isao has really done it now, and he has his sights set on bombing Rahama as there's a hole that just opened up over the town. Those bombers sure were tough to take down, but after taking two of them down, by dumb luck the hole opens up to suck in the last bomber jet to save the town. And after that comes a shouting match between Kylie and Naomi, who both learned how to fly under the same man. Then there's Camilla, who leads a vigilante squad as they are out to make things right after their home of Shouta was bombed by Isao's men. Quite the turn of events that was just when it looked like Rahama was doomed.

Comment

Episode 11

It all comes crashing down.

Isao has really done it now, and even if his declaration of war wasn't bad enough, he came onto the battlefield and acting so sadistically. The last straw was when he shot down Reona after making her believe that he agreed to a ceasefire. But he was shot down and deservedly so. The Kotobuki squadron was holding their own with all of the allies they had acquired, but the situation turned and they realized that retreat would be the best option, but that's not exactly the best course of action given the situation. Just when it looked like the battle was getting away, in comes an hold enemy to help them out. That was such an action-packed episode there. One more episode left to go.

Comment

Episode 12 (Finale)

Riding into the sunset.

And to end this, the best action is saved for last as Isao's scheme comes to fruition, and seeing how they are badly outmanned, they decide to take the fight into the city so that the fighter jets can't normally attack like usual. It was a tough battle seeing that all the girls got shot down except for Kylie and Isao was quite the formidable foe with that jet of his. But in the end, the Kotobuki squadron had a plan and executed sacrificing the Hagoromo to blow up the hole so that Isao couldn't use it for his evil ambition. That was pretty gutsy of Kylie there and it's thanks to what her old man said to her to make it happen. So it's off to the sunset as this show wraps up with another action-filled episode that does not really have much of a story.

Overall, this show is pretty much all about the action and the girls as nothing else really stands out. But the tings that do stand out, this show does it well as the action is really great, and the CG helps make is look great. However, the storywriting is awful seeing that these drawn-out action scenes give the impression that it ran out of ideas for a story and it was just trying to make it long enough to be a standard-length episode. There's that and the feel that this show was more like playing flight simulator than watching an anime show. That said, it was a fun ride and certainly enjoyable for what it is, but objectively speaking, great action alone just isn't going to make the grade.

MAL Rating:

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                            Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                            Widgets Magazine
                            Working...
                            X