Widgets Magazine

Currently Watching (Winter 2019 Edition)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2019] Currently Watching (Winter 2019 Edition)

Widgets Magazine
    The calendar has turned to 2019, which means it's onto a new year and a new season of anime. While fall didn't have many heavy hitters, it did provide quite a large number of good shows. And with that, here is the next season thread for the Winter 2019 season.

The link to the Fall 2018 Edition
    Winter 2019 Anime Chart
    Winter 2019 Anime Lineup Thread

Note
    - Change the title of your post to reflect the contents.
    - Do not use the Reply to Thread button; instead, click quote on the post you wish to reply to, or on this post if you're starting a new subthread.
    - Edit down the quoted section to the relevant bits, nobody needs to read someone's epic list of watched stuff twice.
    - Be nice to one another.
    - Please discuss only what you are watching this season in this thread. Stuff watched during other seasons should be discussed in their respective threads.

Also, I'd like to add the following. The Currently Watching Thread is mainly meant for a general overview of how you're currently feeling about shows. It is not supposed to be a replacement for actual discussion threads. Try to keep heavier discussion (if possible) in the more specific discussion threads.

In addition, try to be careful of spoilers here. It's one thing if it's properly tagged and such. However, I don't want people to have to worry about someone randomly posting "Wow, X died in episode 17 of Y". Just a randomly made up example, but you get the idea.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Super Bowl LIII from Atlanta
    Watching: Loki Ragnarok, Tsurune, Leviathan, Chaos;Child, Coppelion, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Simulcast Interest Levels for Winter 2019

As usual, I am starting things off with my simulcast interest list. Once again, here are the tiers for how likely I will watch certain shows this season using NFL injury report statuses to categorize the shows:
    • IN: It's on the watchlist no matter what. This mostly applies to continuing shows and sequels.
    • PROBABLE: I'm checking out, and it has a very good chance of making the cut. I have dropped shows in this category in the past, so it's not automatic.
    • QUESTIONABLE: I'm checking out, and impressions will dictate its fate. Pretty much, it's for shows I have moderate interest in at the beginning.
    • DOUBTFUL: I may or may not check it out, and if I do, it must really impress me in order to make the cut.
    • OUT: I'm not bothering with it at all.
    So it's onto assessment. I used to do this before the season, but with a number of streaming services taking exclusive ownership of their show that I wait until I know where shows are going first as if it ends up with Netflix or not streamed at all (which is the case for shows Bilibili is a producer for), then it's pretty much out or unlikely to last a few episodes (though I'm making an exception for Kakegurui this season). While my opinions will change as I get a good look at these shows, this represents my interest level before watching the show (and it's not accurate anymore after getting a look). As usual, I have the shows with three-letter codes to let everybody know what I'm watching in my sig.

IN
    [TOA-I3] A Certain Magical Index III (continuing, simuldub)
    [FTL-3] Fairy Tail Final Season (continuing, simuldub)
    [CQK] Karakuri Circus (continuing)
    [KTF] Run With the Wind (continuing)
    [SAO-3] Sword Art Online: Alicization (continuing)
    [TSL] That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (continuing)
    [DAL-3] Date A Live III
    [KGR-2] Kakegurui xx
    [KMF-2] Kemono Friends 2
    [MOB-2] Mob Psycho 100 II (simuldub)
    [FKM-2] The Morose Mononokean II
    [PNL] The Promised Neverland
    [RSH] The Rising of the Shield Hero

PROBABLE
    [EDR] Endro!
    [GAF] Girly Air Force
    [KGY] Kaguya-sama: Love is War
    [5HY] The Quintessential Quintuplets

QUESTIONABLE
    [BPP-OT] Boogiepop and Others
    [DXK] Domestic Girlfriend
    [DRO] Dororo
    [GMN] Grimms Notes
    [KEM] Kemurikusa
    [MSA] Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka
    [KKH] The Magnificent Kotobuki
    [DHU] My Roommate is a Cat
    [EDK] The Price of Smiles
    [UEN] How Clumsy You Are, Miss Ueno (short)
    [MAF] Mysteria Friends
    [RCO-G] Rainy Cocoa Side G (short)

DOUBTFUL
    [BTM] Bermuda Triangle: Colorful Pastorale
    [DHS] Dimension High School
    [MTR] Meiji Tokyo Renka
    [PTM] Pastel Memories
    [REV] Revisions
    [WIZ] W'z
    [EKC] Rinshi! Ekoda-chan (short)

OUT
    B-Project: Climax*Emotion
    BanG! Dream 2nd Season
    Circlet Princess
    Hulaing Babies
    Mini Toji
    Real Girl 2nd Season
    Rikkun in the Middle
    Virtual-san Looking

While it is unusual that I have a non-sequel in the first list, Shield Hero and Promised Neverland are two of the most highly anticipated shows in quite a long time, and as such I am going to watch those no matter what. I plan on watching Index, Fairy Tail, and Mob Psycho on the simuldub schedule, but having just ended my Funi subscription in anticipation of their deal with Hulu that isn't in effect just yet having taken advantage of their Black Friday promotion, my plan is to binge on a month's subscription at the end of the season, and as such that will affect my season watchlist load taking that into account.
    Watching: Loki Ragnarok, Tsurune, Leviathan, Chaos;Child, Coppelion, Toonami Stuff
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Winter 2019 First Impressions

This is very early for this sort of post, since nearly everything I have any chance of watching (the few stragglers mostly being sequels to stuff I dropped) premiered in just over a week. That does mean that there's only one episode for most of the series, but this has always been a "First Impressions" post with the understanding that my feelings will likely change significantly over the next few weeks, and that will be reflected not only in the eventual "Final Thoughts" counterpart but probably 2-3+ episodes of Fandom Post Radio.

New For Winter 2019:

01. Yakusoku no Neverland (A) Less than two weeks into 2019, this feels like the year's first big victory. I've read every chapter of Neverland immediately after release since it started two and a half years ago, and while I always liked it, it just got better as it went on, to the point of cracking my Top Manga list for the past few months. Given that, I was excited to hear of its anime adaptation, and as Bunny Girl Senpai progressed last season, I started to gain confidence in CloverWorks being able to give it the same treatment A-1 would, especially if Aniplex considered it a series worth dumping a lot of resources into, as they like to for high-profile A-1 productions. Leading up to its premiere, the news kept getting better and better, with it becoming the first noitaminA series to break free of Amazon's exclusive hold since they started simulcasting anime nearly three years ago, even though some of those were also Aniplex series, and even sequels to series Aniplex put through their normal process of streaming on Crunchyroll et al. Furthermore, Aniplex is giving it to literally every service that simulcasts anime except, ironically enough, Amazon, not only putting it on their usual destination of Crunchyroll and the similarly cross-company Hulu but also FunimationNow (which seems to be another destination for Aniplex simulcasts now, perhaps because of Sony but not necessarily; it has happened in the past) and even HIDIVE, despite never having had any connection to any of the Houston companies. What's even more remarkable is that, despite airing at the same time and day as every noitaminA series has, Friday in Japan and Thursday in America, we're somehow getting it on Wednesdays. I seem to remember reading that Amazon would get noitaminA episodes early in previous seasons, but I'm pretty sure all the ones I watched were still on Thursdays, certainly as recently as last season, so maybe that was only for Amazon Japan, and it actually took the shows getting off of Amazon to get Amazon's early time. I was excited enough about all of this, because I was pretty comfortable in assuming that the anime would at least be good, especially by the end of its cour (even if it's unfortunate that it's only getting one for now). But it wasn't until I actually watched the first episode that I could've hoped for such a ridiculously good adaptation. If CloverWorks proved itself to be a solid studio last season, it has already proven itself to be able to stand with the best after one episode of this season. The artwork of the manga is beautifully detailed, but this blows that away and paints every frame with gorgeous perfection and animates every movement with seamless fluidity. Director Mamoru Kanbe is a known quantity, but he has never particularly impressed me until now. This was one of the most masterfully executed horror premieres I've ever seen in an anime series, and gives me renewed hope for the genre that I never thought much of. The adaptive writing and musical score also improve upon the already excellent source material with a comparable level of deftness. And just in case everything else wasn't enough, the OP and ED are both fantastic in musically and visually. It all culminates in an adaptation that is beyond flawless and makes me anticipate new episodes of a story I already know everything about far more than I could've imagined. Or maybe everything falls apart next episode and I have a big wall of words to eat. That would suck.
      02. Mob Psycho 100 II (A-) While my attention is much more keenly focused on the return of One Punch Man next season, and particularly the hope that it won't be an utter disappointment with its far less promising studio and director, the return of Mob Psycho 100 immediately before that is pretty pure joy so far. Thankfully, this series retains the exact same lineup that worked on the first season, and that's a good thing, because while the first season of One Punch Man may be the single most sakuga-filled cour of animation in existence, Mob Psycho 100 had cuts that surpass just about everything else on the market, and since this sequel is still coming from Bones, I feel pretty confident that we'll get at least one more cut from Yutaka Nakamura, and if it's anything like his work on the first season, it could be another one of the greatest clips of raw key animation to watch over and over, a hall of fame completely dominated by Yutapon and his signature Cubes. The opening animation of this season is already enough to have confidence in the continued level of quality the series will be delivering. As for the story, I'm very curious to see where it goes this season, but even the almost entirely slice of life first episode was as funny as you'd expect from ONE but also sincere enough to show a range that extends beyond the usual comedy and action of the series.
      03. Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari (B+) I feel like I'm being too positive on too many isekai shows, but maybe we're just getting a lot of good ones lately. I already wanted to like this show due to it being another Kinema Citrus series with its music composed by Kevin Penkin (the last one being Made in Abyss), but Norn9 shared not only those two but the same director as this, and that was otoge trash. Fortunately, it seems that Kevin is only getting the good stuff for now, as deserved, and this is definitely a series that is being given a lot of care from all sides. The double-length premiere certainly helped to establish a large number of elements essential to the series without rushing anything (sure, he's in the other world within a minute, but that's 99% of isekai). There are unquestionably pieces that can be controversial, but I'm comfortable with the main plot that's been set up going forward. I'm interested to see how it depicts the struggles of a protagonist dealt a much less favorable hand than most, it's a thoroughly well-executed adaptation throughout, and I want to hope Kevin can pull out at least one or two tracks on the level of his finest Made in Abyss pieces. Could it become SAO at its worst? Yes. Absolutely. But please don't. Please?
      04. Dororo (B+) I can't remember the last time I've actually liked an anime adaptation of a Tezuka manga, and despite consistently listing Kazuhiro Furuhashi in my top 5 anime directors thanks to the Rurouni Kenshin prequel OVAs and the original Hunter x Hunter anime, he hasn't impressed me since Gundam Unicorn ended in 2014. But it looks like Furuhashi is at his best working with material from the 90s, the 70s-80s, or apparently even the 60s, because this reboot of a series last animated half a century ago is off to a great start. If you only know Tezuka for his family-friendly fare, be sure you're prepared for the gruesome, because this series is not for the faint of heart, but the base character designs and mannerisms of the titular deuteragonist (an uncommon but not unheard-of practice) are still classic Tezuka through and through, always a fascinating dichotomy in his more adult works. The first episode really only has time to set the stage for what is to come, but the premise has an amazing wealth of potential and feels so remarkably fresh for a story that's been around for the better part of a century.
      05. Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen (B+) This is another series for which I've heard great things about the manga, and being an Aniplex property animated by A-1, the production values are unsurprisingly exceptional, even when the subject matter doesn't seem like it would demand it. Beginning as a relatively simple gag show with a silly premise and divided into several largely independent vignettes per episode, it's naturally not going to blow me away right off the bat, but in addition to being very effectively funny from an early point, its romantic trappings are at worst cute and at best touching, and could very easily turn these comedic characters highly endearing. The over-dramatic nature in which the utterly inconsequential psychological battles is presented makes it feel like the comical side of Death Note elevated due to a complete lack of real stakes, which is exactly what it's going for. But even though it's all played for laughs so far, these facets of the protagonists' personalities speak to a more human condition of perceiving weakness from the vulnerability of letting your feelings out into the open, with the competitive nature of these characters taking that notion to a dangerous extreme. Whether it will touch upon that with any level of seriousness I can't predict, but it would be nice.
      06. Gotoubun no Hanayome (B-) If being highly positive about several isekai series made me feel weird, I really don't know how to justify genuinely liking a shamelessly trope-filled harem series. I think part of it comes from the fact that it doesn't make any pretenses of being something it's not, doesn't try to be coy about its rote constructs, and is able to have an immense amount of fun with itself thanks to that. As a result, the fun is somewhat infectious even if as nothing more than a guilty pleasure, and occasionally it even earns a laugh. The seiyuu cast is quite star-studded, and that accounts for a large part of why the show seems to be working, because everything depends on the idiosyncrasies of the characters and how they interact. These veterans are able to make up for some of the less stellar writing and really sell these dynamics, especially with some reactions that have provided probably the best comedy in the series thus far. I'm not about to tell you this will ever be any sort of masterpiece, but one episode in, I'm enjoying myself.
      07. Domestic na Kanojo (B-) I can't help but relating this to Kuzu no Honkai despite being so much tamer, probably because the idea of Japanese high school students having casual sex in television anime is so rare. Like that series, though, it presents the concept as a matter of fact and isn't using it for titillation at this point. That allows for the story to explore aspects of life that aren't present in a lot of other anime, and hopefully it doesn't turn into a eye-rolling ecchi fest. With the protagonists' teacher/crush and cherry-popper moving in with him as his new sisters, there is endless potential for it to devolve into pandering trash, but the indications so far seem to imply that to not be the intention, as admittedly contrived as its establishing twists have all been. Here's hoping it doesn't become exactly what I feared.

Dropped:

08. My Roommate is a Cat (C+) (1 episode) This series is completely harmless and adorable, but so far from compelling that I can't find enough value to watch more of it. I think an individual's enjoyment of it comes down almost exclusively to how much of a cat person they are, so while I can appreciate how cute cats -- and, by extension, this show -- are, I'm not so in love with them that I feel like watching any more of this.
      09. Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) (C+) (2 episodes) I really wanted to like this show. Madhouse is my favorite studio by the hugest margin, Kensuke Ushio is one of my favorite composers, and the director and the writer come from one of my favorites of not just Madhouse but anime in general, One Punch Man. And yet, I don't care for the animation. I don't care for the music. I don't care for the direction or writing. I never read or watched any Boogiepop, but I love series it's compared to like Lain, and I'm fine with piecing together a challenging story. But there's just nothing about this series that particularly worked for me in its first two episodes, and unless I hear extremely positive reactions to it as it goes on, I don't feel the need to watch any more of what those first two episodes gave me.

If Fall 2018 was quantity over quality, I feel like the opposite is true for Winter 2019. It doesn't have an overwhelming deluge of new titles, but it has a surprisingly high percentage of promising to downright stellar series at a first glance, especially with only one sequel I'm watching. Neverland alone would've made me happy with the season as a whole, not to mention Mob Psycho 100 coming back in full force, but there are three other series that I'm already pretty excited about. Hopefully I don't end up too disappointed, but with that kind of lineup, I think I'm safe to assume I'll have a few strong titles by the end.

Everything I'm Watching:

01. Yakusoku no Neverland (A)
      02. JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Ougon no Kaze (A-)
      03. Mob Psycho 100 II (A-)
      04. One Piece (A-)
      05. Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken (A-)
      06. Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari (B+)
      07. Detective Conan (B+)
      08. Dororo (B+)
      09. Fairy Tail: Final Series (B+)
      10. Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen (B+)
      11. Sword Art Online: Alicization (B)
      12. Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru (B)
      13. Gotoubun no Hanayome (B-)
      14. Domestic na Kanojo (B-)

Dropped:

15. My Roommate is a Cat (C+)
      16. Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) (C+)

Weekly Schedule:

Sunday (0):
      Monday (3): Mob Psycho 100 II, Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken, Dororo
      Tuesday (1): Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru
      Wednesday (2): Yakusoku no Neverland, Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari
      Thursday (1): Gotoubun no Hanayome
      Friday (2): JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Ougon no Kaze, Domestic na Kanojo
      Saturday (5): One Piece, Detective Conan, Fairy Tail: Final Series, Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen, Sword Art Online: Alicization

Saturdays still rule, but this is a slightly more balanced schedule overall. Mondays are a little tight now, being workdays with three series including one I'm reviewing, but it's far from unmanageable.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

This is what I am watching for Winter, ranked in order of interest:

1. The Rising of The Shield Hero
        2. Dororo
        3. Domestic Girlfriend
        4. The Promised Neverland
        5. Space Battleship Yamato 2202
        6. Mob Psycho 100 II
        7. Real Girl 2
        8. Saint Seiya: Saintia Shō
        9. The Magnificent Kotobuki
        10. Fairy Tail
        11. Boogiepop and Others
        12. The Quintessential Quintuplets

Comment

Buckeye's Winter 2019 Anime Viewership Plan

As I do every season, I outline a plan for shows that I plan on watching this season. Like always, this is merely tentative as there will always be shows on this list I don't get to, while there are going to be shows not on this list that I'll watch. This is for shows that have finished airing, and as such there will be no simulcasts on this list.

From the Beginning
          ^Konosuba
          ^Megalo Box
          Sirius the Jaeger
          Nobunaga the Fool
          Dog and Scissors
          The Anonymous Noise
          Armed Girls' Machiavellism
          Hanaukyo Maid Team La Verite
          Shining Hearts
          Buso Renkin
          Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok
          Tsurune
          Nakaimo
          Star Blazers 2199

Continuing
          Dragon Ball Super (from episode 66)
          Hunter x Hunter (from episode 119)
          JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable (from episode 13)
          Naruto Shippuden (from episode 226)

As this is the winter season, I have my usual bingefest to mark a lot of one-shot shows as completed. But with that list quickly dwindling that this is probably the last season for this. Most of the stuff here are Sentai shows as I just dropped my Funimation subscription, but I plan to subscribe for a month to finish the current season's simuldubs right around late March, which is timed in conjunction with the release schedule for A Certain Magical Index III. So far, I have a pretty short list as I'm still trying to figure out what I want to watch.

My first post-simulcast report is due, and in any case Sirius the Jaeger is the first show watched as I needed to watch that show before my Netflix subscription ended.

Comment

Winter 2019: First Impressions

Now that I have checked out every show this season that has a realistic chance of joining the watchlist, it's time that I do my usual first impressions. Like always, there are three tiers with the first one being stuff I have virtually locked into my watchlist and if I haven't, then a lot will have to go wrong for it not to stick, the second one being shows that could go either way with the episodes moving forward deciding its fate, and the third one being shows that I have pretty much written off and if I haven't dropped them, it will have to really step up its game if I am to keep on watching. I organized them by alphabetical order by category (continuing shows, then sequels, then new standard-length shows, and then the shorts last), so the order the shows are in are not an indication of how I'm leaning unlike in the past.

Red Zone
            A Certain Magical Index III (simuldub) - Continuing from Fall
            Fairy Tail Final Season (simuldub) - Continuing from Fall
            Karakuri Circus - Continuing from Fall
            Run With the Wind - Continuing from Fall
            Sword Art Online: Alicization - Continuing from Fall
            That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime - Continuing from Fall
            Date A Live III - This season starts off better than the second season that featured rather underwhelming new characters. The new character is pretty interesting, so it's starting off better without any cringeworthy stuff that marred the second season.
            Kakegurui xx - While I question the way the plot is set up, the show goes to show just how much the MC is a pleasure to watch, and I like how the season sets things up as a tournament rather than just having the MC battle the student council.
            Kemono Friends 2 - Pretty much, this is just a carbon copy of the first season, and while the CG animation has improved, the story just lacks the charm of the first season as the replacement director opted to change the MC rather than to continue her story. But it's still enjoyable for fans of this show.
            The Morose Mononokean II - Pretty much it's more of the same in that the MC gets caught up in exaggeratedly serious situations that make for some amusing interactions.
            Mob Psycho 100 II (simuldub) - While this show doesn't exactly pick up where it left off in the first season, it continues to deliver in a big way with unconventional animation that continues to be ugly in the right way, well-done stories, and great exorcism action. Definitely one of the season's highlights.
            Dororo - This 50th anniversary remake has been carried by a strong story and great animation that Mappa is known for. The main pair is an interesting one, all while the stories have been well-done so far going to show that there is value in saving those who are perceived to be useless by others.
            Endro! - This show is carried by cute girls and a fun atmosphere as it's another one of those cute girls doing cute things shows. But it's the setting and the amusement factor that makes this show stand out for the better, and it doesn't hurt that the girls are all great.
            Kaguya-sama: Live is War - This show has been carried by its comedy as it's a very funny show. Having colorful characters also helps.
            The Promised Neverland - This show was greatly hyped coming in with a well-received manga, and so far it has been great as advertised with well-executed drama and a premise that delivers.
            The Quintessential Quintuplets - This show is the surprise hit of the season as it does a nice job setting the stage for some amusing and developmental interactions to go down. While the setup is usually a recipe for a cliched disaster, it's not happening with this show as the focus is on helping the girls out, which is nicely done so far.
            The Rising of the Shield Hero - So far, this has been great as advertised with a great story concept, and avoiding most of the cliches associated with isekai shows to make for an incredible story so far.

Midfield
            Boogiepop and Others - Boogiepop Phantom was tough for me to get through as it's all sorts of hard to understand, and that's happening so far with this series as the adaptation hasn't exactly been done well opting to cut out some really key parts. While the first cour was a bust, the second one is off to a relatively promising start that's less confusing.
            Domestic Girlfriend - The show has an interesting setup, but the intensity has made this show a hit or miss proposition as there are lots of cringeworthy stuff going on, but at the same time great character development is happening.
            Girly Air Force - The show starts off being a generic show, but the characters have intrigue, as well as the whole setup of what the girls really are, and the action sequences are well-done as that's what Satelight does best.
            Kemurikusa - While Tatsuki is directing this show, it just doesn't capture the same appeal that Kemono Friends has, all while the low-budget CG doesn't exactly do this show any favors. Not to mention, the characters haven't exactly been tolerable. But the adventure aspect has been well-established, and it could make for a nice show if the plot does not continue to drag, which it has done so far.
            Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka - This is an edgy magical girl show that has the potential to be great with its dark mood and violent nature. But this show is hindered by mediocre animation quality and a questionable approach to setting up this show.
            The Magnificent Kotobuki - This show is great when action is involved, dull and boring when not. While it has some entertainment value, it feels like the show didn't have enough content to fill the run time, and as such they resorted to stretching scenes out.
            My Roommate is a Cat - The storytelling has been pretty amusing and it has the potential for great character development, but so far it's just setting things up, and doing so with mixed results.
            The Price of Smiles - This show has an interesting concept of looking at a war from both sides. So far, it only looked from the kingdom's side, and that was pretty bland and generic. But I'm more interested in the empire side, and that figures to be more interesting seeing that they aren't exactly looking to conquer the kingdom. The impression from the empire's side will determine this show's standing.
            Wataten: An Angel Flew Down to Me - This show has a pretty creepy vibe to it, but at the same time the girls are cute and they are doing some pretty amusing things. It certainly isn't one of Doga Kobo's finest works, but they are doing a decent job so far.
            How Clumsy You Are, Miss Ueno (short) - It's a short that has two segments per episode, and a lot of it involve fanservicey jokes and awkward inventions. The segments are hit or miss with the ones that miss really dragging the quality of this show down. But the ones that hit are quite funny.
            Mysteria Friends (short) - This half-length short does an excellent job of reminding me that this is set in a similar world as Rage of Bahamut without the wars. So far, the first episode just sets the table, but it does so in a solid way.
            Rainy Cocoa Side G (short) - The good: it's just two minutes long per week. The bad: it feels like an episode chopped into segments. So far, the girls in this show haven't gotten much on them.

Own 20

Bermuda Triangle: Colorful Pastrale - Pretty dull and boring show overall as the mermaid girls just do stuff that puts me to sleep.
            Dimension High School - While I give it credit for an innovative concept of using live action and animation, the show is just repetitive and stupid, all while the CG animation is just terrible.
            Grimms Notes - There's pretty much no overall plot to this show as it's just a story-of-the-week type of deal that really doesn't give it much to look forward to.
            Meiji Tokyo Renka - While better than the normal otome game adaptation, it still falls into several of the traps that give them low success rates. The MC is better than the average otoge heroine to make this much more bearable to watch.
            Pastel Memories - Just bland, boring, and designed to advertise a mobile game. Pretty much, it's one of those shows where all it does is put out a gimmicky premise to draw attention, which is not doing any favors for it.
            Revisions - Due to Netflix having this show, I'm putting it off until later. From what I have seen so far, it has an interesting premise, but the CG animation just doesn't look right.
            Virtual-san Looking - This might have worked as a short, but there's just no story whatsoever and not really sightly to look at, either.
            W'z - Just as bland, boring, and underwhelming as Hand Shakers is, but at least has less cringeworthy content.
            Rinshi!! Ekoda-chan (short) - The animation is just too much for me to handle, all while there's just no substance at all in this.

So that's 17 shows locked in out of a maximum of 20 slots, give or take a couple, and this season features a lot of continuing shows (6) and sequels (5), much more than usual accounting for 11 slots. But with Index, Fairy Tail, and Mob Psycho being watched on the simuldub schedule that is currently on hold with my having cancelled my Funimation subscription for now that I won't count those as occupied slots. So that leaves me with six slots for nine shows in the middle section, and the three shows that are to be cut if I decided right now would be The Price of Smiles, Boogiepop, and Kemurikusa would be the ones to go.

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: January 1-15

Time for my first post-simulcast report of 2019, and as I have done in winter seasons past, it's bingefest time. However, this is probably the last time I will do this as I have just about caught up on everything from the past that would fit the profile of a show destined for this activity. In any case, here is my first post-simulcast report that I'm late on.

Completed

Sirius the Jaeger (1-12): B-
              This show starts off pretty strong with great action and a well-crafted story, but it loses steam as the show proceeds as it gets away from what it did well at the beginning with a plot that drags and not exactly resolving things in a well-constructed manner. In all, the show's strong points are the artwork, albeit it's not exactly one of the best efforts out of P.A. Works, action, and drama, all while the show's plot progression and pacing were good at the beginning, but not so much in the second half of this, all while the ending was simply underwhelming to say the least.

Nobunaga the Fool (1-24): C
              The story concept for this show is a very interesting one. However, the execution is just off on so many levels in that the story felt too rushed, many of the character deaths were too cheap, and there was just so many things going on in this show that I'll never come to understand why things happened the way they did. So while the plot was a mess, the show excels with action and drama as there was a lot to look forward to when watching this show even if more often than not, they were letdowns.

Dog and Scissors (1-12): D
              Everything in this show is just stupid. The storyline is stupid, the characters are stupid, the whole concept is stupid, and the effort put into this show was stupid all to make for a show that was mostly garbage. That said, it wasn't a complete bust as there were a few good episodes and an intriguing cast of characters, but in the end it was mostly cringeworthy humor.

Anonymous Noise (1-12): B-
              This show didn't exactly start off on the right foot seeing that the MC's motives and approach are tough to stand by. However, the show improves in the second half when it becomes clear what the MC is up against to make for some great character development. This show has great music, character development, and story concept, while missing the mark on the plot concept and cringeworthy stuff that happens too much for its own good.

Ongoing

[AGM] Armed Girl's Machiavellism (1-5)
              [BSR] Buso Renkin (1-4)
              [HMT-V] Hanaukyo Maid Team: La Verite (1-4)
              [HXH] Hunter x Hunter (119-120)
              [JBA-DU] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable (13-14)
              ^[KSB] Konosuba (1-2)
              [SHH] Shining Hearts (1-4)

Comment

Winter 2019 Simulcast Rankings: January

Before I get too carried away, here are my initial rankings for the Winter 2019 season. As always, the first ranking includes all shows with the ones that got dropped not appearing on any subsequent rankings, all while they only pertain to the content in this season. So that means everything that happened in the previous season has no bearing on this season's ranking, and the final grade may not reflect its position. As usual, shows I have decided to keep are in black, shows I have dropped are in red, while shows I'm still deciding on are in blue. As this is the winter season, football terminology is in play once again for tier names.

Touchdown
                The Promised Neverland
                The Rising of the Shield Hero
                Mob Psycho 100 II
                Dororo
                That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
                Kaguya-sama: Love is War
                Run with the Wind

Field Goal
                My Roommate is a Cat
                Sword Art Online: Alicization
                Kakegurui xx
                The Quintessential Quintuplets
                Karakuri Circus

First Down
                Domestic Girlfriend
                Endro~!
                The Morose Mononokean II
                Date A Live III
                Boogiepop and Others
                Wataten! An Angel Flew Down to Me
                Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka
                Mysteria Friends
                The Price of Smiles

Punt
                Kemono Friends 2
                Girly Air Force
                Revisions
                The Magnificent Kotobuki
                Kemurikusa

Meiji Tokyo Renka
                How Clumsy You Are, Miss Ueno
                Grimms Notes

Fumble
                Rainy Cocoa Side G
                Dimension High School
                Bermuda Triangle: Colorful Pastrale
                W'z
                Rinshi!! Ekoda-chan
                Pastel Memories

Last season, it was quantity over quality, and like Ginga said before, it's quality over quantity as there are a number of top tier shows this season, but the list of second tier shows is pretty small. So with the way things are, 18 slots are filled (not including the three titles I'm watching on simuldub), and the last two slots are between Wataten, Smiles, Kotobuki, and Kemurikusa, so I have a decision on my hand that I'll be needing to make soon.

One other note is that while I still plan to keep watching A Certain Magical Index III and Fairy Tail, I'm doing it on the simuldub calendar and because I have cancelled my Funi subscription, I'm waiting until all the episodes of Index are out before continuing on (and likewise, that is when I'll continue watching the Fairy Tail simuldub). As such, those two continuing shows aren't included. While Mob Psycho 100 II is going to be watched, I'll be waiting for the simuldub for that show as well.

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: January 16-31

It's onto February, and with that here is my post-simulcast report for the second half of January. As this is the winter season, that means I'm focusing on one-shot shows in my bingefest.

Completed

Armed Girl's Machiavellism (6-12): C
                  This show has great action and interesting characters, but overall has way too many cringeworthy moments to make this show just another one of those run-of-the-mill bishoujo anime. I give this show credit for its concept, but it's execution was another matter entirely as it involved a lot of stuff that just didn't click.

Hanaukyo Maid Team: La Verite (5-12): C-
                  For most of the show, it was just a boring show with nothing standing out, and a story that's all about showcasing the maids. While the story is a joke, the characters are generic, and the content is mostly forgettable, it has some decent character develop, all while the show puts together a solid story towards the end.

Shining Hearts (5-12): D+
                  This show is pretty much intended to market a game, one that never made it outside Japan, and for the most part it's nothing to write home about. The show is mostly a snoozefest with a lot of repetitive and roundabout storytelling and characters that are pretty commonplace in anime. The story had a solid concept, some nice animation, and an intriguing mystery, but that's just about the only things that are keeping this show from bottoming out.

Buso Renkin (5-26): C+
                  This show just a typical generic shonen action show with not much to set it apart aside from the fact that it was trying to capitalize on the success of Fullmetal Alchemist with the concept of alchemy. In particular, the show just stumbled badly out of the gate with a mess of cliches, but is salvaged by a better second half where the characters are more interesting and the plot becomes something different than the norm. So in all, it's just another run-of-the-mill shonen action show that has been done better by other such shows.

Ongoing

[CHH-C] Chaos;Child (1-4)
                  ^[KSB] Konosuba (3-5)
                  [ZBL] Leviathan: The Last Defense (1-7)
                  [MLR] Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok (1-22)
                  [TNE] Tsurune (1-9)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine
                  Working...
                  X