X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2019] Domestic Girlfriend Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ドメスティックな彼女

A romance about a guy in love with a teacher and her little sister, not realizing that these two just became his stepsisters.

Airs: Friday, January 11, 2019

Studio: Diomedea

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    HIDIVE

Natsuo Fujii is in love with his teacher, Hina. Attempting to forget his feelings towards her, Natsuo goes to a mixer with his classmates where he meets an odd girl named Rui Tachibana. In a strange turn of events, Rui asks Natsuo to sneak out with her and do her a favor. To his surprise, their destination is Rui's house?and her request is for him to have sex with her. There's no love behind the act; she just wants to learn from the experience. Thinking that it might help him forget about Hina, Natsuo hesitantly agrees.

After this unusual encounter Natsuo now faces a new problem. With his father remarrying, he ends up with a new pair of stepsisters; unfortunately, he knows these two girls all too well. He soon finds out his new siblings are none other than Hina and Rui! Now living with both the teacher he loves and the girl with whom he had his "first time," Natsuo finds himself in an unexpected love triangle as he climbs ever closer towards adulthood.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Super Bowl LIII from Atlanta
    Watching: Loki Ragnarok, Tsurune, Leviathan, Chaos;Child, Coppelion, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

All in the family.

That was quite an intense way to start this show with that scene there at the beginning, and I'm not exactly sure what to think about it. Natsuo sure got himself into a messy situation as if falling in love with a pair of sisters wasn't complicated enough, the fact that they unexpectedly just became his stepsisters with his father remarrying only complicates matters even more. At least he gets to live with these girls, but he now realizes that it just isn't possible to have that relationship that he was seeking. An intriguing start to say the least, but at the same time I'm not exactly sold on the show's concept and direction.

So like always, the show will go through its usual evaluation in the trial period, and I'm not sure which way things will go at the moment as while this could make for an interesting show, at the same time there's a lot of questionable stuff going on that could be off-putting.
    Watching: Loki Ragnarok, Tsurune, Leviathan, Chaos;Child, Coppelion, Toonami Stuff
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
      Episode 1

All in the family.

That was quite an intense way to start this show with that scene there at the beginning, and I'm not exactly sure what to think about it. Natsuo sure got himself into a messy situation as if falling in love with a pair of sisters wasn't complicated enough, the fact that they unexpectedly just became his stepsisters with his father remarrying only complicates matters even more. At least he gets to live with these girls, but he now realizes that it just isn't possible to have that relationship that he was seeking. An intriguing start to say the least, but at the same time I'm not exactly sold on the show's concept and direction.

So like always, the show will go through its usual evaluation in the trial period, and I'm not sure which way things will go at the moment as while this could make for an interesting show, at the same time there's a lot of questionable stuff going on that could be off-putting.
      Re: Episode 1

I've seen enough hentai to know where this is going.

I've seen enough ecchi to know where this is going.

Unfortunately, neither of those memes seem to apply here. This actually, would be a great set-up for an ecchi rom-com harem show, but that's not where we're going, at least the rom-com part. No, this looks like a romance show, so we'll have to see where this goes. I've not done too well with anime romance shows, as, for some reason, they're just not my cup of tea (maybe the chick flicks I've had to endure with the wife?).

This could be an interesting show, or boring as hell. It's not a good sign that I was looking at my watch to find out if this show was an extra long episode, like the first episode of The Rising of the Shield Hero, only to discover that it was at the 20 minute mark...I could've sworn in was over 30 minutes by that point.

I also have legit questions of whether I should hold off on this, based on the manga. What follows is a totally non-spoilerific, other than the manga status, comment, but there are those who seem to have issues with any reference to source material...

Spoiler ->Okay, the manga is in Weekly Shounen and has been running since 2014. Meaning, there are now 214 chapters out all legally available on Crunchyroll, and is still ongoing, meaning I can expect zero resolution, and I have to seriously wonder what they can put in a single season, and how likely that there'll be more seasons, something I consider to be remote, and with an ongoing melodrama love triangle, what are the odds of a decent pause point for the end of the season.

That said, if you're into romantic melodramas, this might be for you. To have a good triangle, you need good characters and good seiyuu. Here, it's still very early days about the characters, but at least we have great seiyuu: Maaya Uchida as Rui (which surprised the heck out of me, since the character is so low-key; meaning not that Uchida can't do low key, but that the character was so low key I totally didn't recognize her), and the always awesome Yoko Hikasa as Hina. At the end of episode 1, Hina was easily my favorite character and Rui a non-entity. However, Rui is clearly a character with lots going on under the surface, which has barely been scratched, and Hina shows evidence of being childish and other traits that can be annoying, so I expect there to be a switch at some point.

Another point that bothered me: I didn't like the OP. I didn't like the song, but I was also bothered that the MC was non-existent in the OP.

I'm going to keep with this, probably, for a bit, but who knows? That said, I'd rather re-watch The Quintessential Quintuplets, as I'm worried that the meme that does apply is:

I've seen enough melodramas to know where this is going.
      Last edited by General Hentai; 01-13-2019, 11:48 PM.
      My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
      1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
      2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
      3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Interesting. Reminds me a bit of Scum's Wish in some ways, but it's definitely a different kind of show. Still intriguing enough to see where it goes.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

Something feels familiar.

Rui sure does keep her cool in situations that might otherwise lead to a girl getting aggressive, such as the time Natsuo entered the bath while she was still in it, but being step-siblings makes it more bearable, and not to mention she realizes that this isn't exactly the first time it happened. Nevertheless, things continue to come out quite awkwardly. And then there's that phone call where Hina was asked to come out, and came back broken as something happened that she's none too willing to talk about. Something is definitely amiss here as it was just their parents who were at the door that Hina asked Natsuo not to open. The relationships are definitely getting more complicated here as everybody's hearts are all over the place that is leading to some interesting drama going on.

Comment

Episode 3

It's not for children.

Hina is keeping quiet about her affair with her boyfriend that is obviously a bad influence on her claiming that this is not something for children to get involved with, but she can't hide the truth from her siblings as she's unaware that they know about it. Natsuo knows because his friend Fumiya saw them together, while Rui overheard her conversation on the phone. So Natsuo decides to spend a couple of days at Fumiya's home, while Rui also leaves to search for Natsuo after he ditched school all as the two are scheming to get those two to break up. Pretty intense this show continues to be, and now everybody is making all sorts of rash decisions with all the relationship problems going on.

So with that, I'll give it one more episode before deciding where to go with this show that has been good at times, but cringeworthy at other times.

Comment

Episode 4

Breaking up is hard to do.

And Hina's boyfriend, now ex-boyfriend, Shuu shows up as Natsuo and Rui are out to get to the bottom of things knowing full well that he was doing something to make her miserable. It turns out that he's already married and this, he has been cheating on his wife. Natsuo and Rui sure were quite persistent going as far as to follow her around before Rui decides to grab her smartphone to figure out who this no-good boyfriend is. While Shuu doesn't seem like a bad guy, the fact that he's dating Hina even though he was married is just a bad thing. It's a good thing that Hina broke up with him as she realized that there was no way things were going to work out between those two. This show just keeps on driving home the drama all while the characters just have problems galore with communication.

So with that, the trial period is over and I'll have to make a decision on this show. I'm leaning towards keeping it, but I need to get myself organized and figure out my watchlist for the season.

Comment

Episode 5

Love at first sight, other way around.

Here comes Momo, introduced as Rui's friend and she quickly falls for Natsuo not long after meeting him. And while the two got into a serious relationship, they didn't quite go the distance there, which is for the best seeing that they don't know each other. Things are getting complicated here as there's just no clear indication of where the relationships are going and which ones will win out in the end, but nevertheless the characters are taking things seriously.

Comment

Episode 6

Reading love like a book.

Here comes Kiriya-sensei and Miu as Natsuo joins the Literature Club. Kiriya really went out of his way to get Natsuo to join, all while Miu is a smart girl who just isn't very good at recruiting. But Kiriya is such a shady teacher there, first with the way he recruited Natsuo, then making it appear he had a relationship with Miu, and then telling Miu and Natsuo to kiss each other, and Natsuo knew better. In the end, they also got Rui and Momo to join, and it turns out that Momo is somebody Miu knows because they have been competing for the to exam scores. Once again, an interesting development is happening as Natsu finds yet another suitor in Miu, and much like with Momo he backed off knowing that it wasn't the right time to go all the way. Next time, Natsuo is going out with Hina.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine
                  Working...
                  X