X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2019] Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    魔法少女特殊戦あすか

An action show where girls are going magical in fighting alien invaders.

Airs: Friday, January 11, 2019

Studio: Liden Films

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Due to the invasion of Disas?enigmatic creatures of soil from the land of the dead?mankind, who was on the verge of crisis, was saved by the efforts of magical girls who had obtained a mysterious magical power...

Three years later, new incidents suddenly occur, tearing apart the normalcy of the girls who had each returned to their normal lives. The saviours of humanity, those magical girls called "The Magical Five" now live each day fighting for their lives, even as they are trifled with by fate...

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Mash Kyrielight, Fate/Grand Order
    Watching: Sirius the Jaeger, Shobitch, Machiavellism, Anonymous Noise, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, CQK, BIY, RRD, UZM, KTF, JUL, S4G, MBZ, MVN, XYS, ZLS, GSH, JSY
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

The magical girl's work is never done.

This episode pretty much sets things up, but then when it gets to the action, it gets really violent in the way of cut-up body parts. The end of the first episode is a taste of that as it will only get more so moving forward should it be adapted according to the source material. Pretty decent start there to set things up as Asuka was trying to live a quiet life after quitting the magical girl profession after her parents were murdered. But when Nozomi got caught in the crossfire, she just couldn't stand back and watch, not when there's so much violence going on around the world. While it doesn't explain the setting, it does a good job in explaining Asuka's past that she would rather forget, but can't.

As usual, trial period it goes through and I'll decide at the end of the period if it stays or goes. So far, I like what I have seen, but the big test comes next.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Mash Kyrielight, Fate/Grand Order
    Watching: Sirius the Jaeger, Shobitch, Machiavellism, Anonymous Noise, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, CQK, BIY, RRD, UZM, KTF, JUL, S4G, MBZ, MVN, XYS, ZLS, GSH, JSY
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
      Episode 1

The magical girl's work is never done.

This episode pretty much sets things up, but then when it gets to the action, it gets really violent in the way of cut-up body parts. The end of the first episode is a taste of that as it will only get more so moving forward should it be adapted according to the source material. Pretty decent start there to set things up as Asuka was trying to live a quiet life after quitting the magical girl profession after her parents were murdered. But when Nozomi got caught in the crossfire, she just couldn't stand back and watch, not when there's so much violence going on around the world. While it doesn't explain the setting, it does a good job in explaining Asuka's past that she would rather forget, but can't.

As usual, trial period it goes through and I'll decide at the end of the period if it stays or goes. So far, I like what I have seen, but the big test comes next.
      Re: Episode 1

Magical Girl PTSD. Plus, a bit of the old ultra-violence...make that loads of the old ultra-violence.

Pretty much what Buckeye said. We see the opening segment, then return to it later as a another flashback, witnessing her victory, only to come home from that win to discover her parents taken and murdered, getting their body parts returned to her in packages.

So, complete with dead friends, murdered and mutilated parents, countless civilian dead, we get a good handle on why Asuka has retired, and why she's got a lot of trigger issues. But she can't stand by while a friend is about to be gunned down by international terrorists.

Oh, FYI, it was Sayako who was in danger, not Nozomi.

So, an interesting start. It's bit rough around the edges (both in animation quality and story), but has potential with an interesting heroine and did I mention blood? And violence? Because it has loads of both of those. So, another entry into the "Dark" magical girl genre, which despite some flaws has the potential to stand out from the standpoints of action, violence and psychological drama...or it could all combust together in an unsustainable mess.
      My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
      1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
      2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
      3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Beyond the "edgy hard edge" of the violence, blood, and military overtones, what did get me thinking about this series "playing with the formula" is appearing to acknowledge the magical girls as widely known instead of "fighting, and here suffering, in secret" (or at least isolation). After the setup flashbacks, it was a bit of a relief for me that Sayako didn't become one more victim for Asuka to avenge... right away, anyway. As was said, though, I can wonder how the final (or even a few episode in) reactions will turn out.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine
        Working...
        X