X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2019] Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    魔法少女特殊戦あすか

An action show where girls are going magical in fighting alien invaders.

Airs: Friday, January 11, 2019

Studio: Liden Films

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Due to the invasion of Disas?enigmatic creatures of soil from the land of the dead?mankind, who was on the verge of crisis, was saved by the efforts of magical girls who had obtained a mysterious magical power...

Three years later, new incidents suddenly occur, tearing apart the normalcy of the girls who had each returned to their normal lives. The saviours of humanity, those magical girls called "The Magical Five" now live each day fighting for their lives, even as they are trifled with by fate...

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
    Watching: Ingress, Ancient Magus' Bride, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

The magical girl's work is never done.

This episode pretty much sets things up, but then when it gets to the action, it gets really violent in the way of cut-up body parts. The end of the first episode is a taste of that as it will only get more so moving forward should it be adapted according to the source material. Pretty decent start there to set things up as Asuka was trying to live a quiet life after quitting the magical girl profession after her parents were murdered. But when Nozomi got caught in the crossfire, she just couldn't stand back and watch, not when there's so much violence going on around the world. While it doesn't explain the setting, it does a good job in explaining Asuka's past that she would rather forget, but can't.

As usual, trial period it goes through and I'll decide at the end of the period if it stays or goes. So far, I like what I have seen, but the big test comes next.
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
      Episode 1

The magical girl's work is never done.

This episode pretty much sets things up, but then when it gets to the action, it gets really violent in the way of cut-up body parts. The end of the first episode is a taste of that as it will only get more so moving forward should it be adapted according to the source material. Pretty decent start there to set things up as Asuka was trying to live a quiet life after quitting the magical girl profession after her parents were murdered. But when Nozomi got caught in the crossfire, she just couldn't stand back and watch, not when there's so much violence going on around the world. While it doesn't explain the setting, it does a good job in explaining Asuka's past that she would rather forget, but can't.

As usual, trial period it goes through and I'll decide at the end of the period if it stays or goes. So far, I like what I have seen, but the big test comes next.
      Re: Episode 1

Magical Girl PTSD. Plus, a bit of the old ultra-violence...make that loads of the old ultra-violence.

Pretty much what Buckeye said. We see the opening segment, then return to it later as a another flashback, witnessing her victory, only to come home from that win to discover her parents taken and murdered, getting their body parts returned to her in packages.

So, complete with dead friends, murdered and mutilated parents, countless civilian dead, we get a good handle on why Asuka has retired, and why she's got a lot of trigger issues. But she can't stand by while a friend is about to be gunned down by international terrorists.

Oh, FYI, it was Sayako who was in danger, not Nozomi.

So, an interesting start. It's bit rough around the edges (both in animation quality and story), but has potential with an interesting heroine and did I mention blood? And violence? Because it has loads of both of those. So, another entry into the "Dark" magical girl genre, which despite some flaws has the potential to stand out from the standpoints of action, violence and psychological drama...or it could all combust together in an unsustainable mess.
      My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
      1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
      2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
      3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Beyond the "edgy hard edge" of the violence, blood, and military overtones, what did get me thinking about this series "playing with the formula" is appearing to acknowledge the magical girls as widely known instead of "fighting, and here suffering, in secret" (or at least isolation). After the setup flashbacks, it was a bit of a relief for me that Sayako didn't become one more victim for Asuka to avenge... right away, anyway. As was said, though, I can wonder how the final (or even a few episode in) reactions will turn out.

Comment

Episode 2

Use power wisely.

Here comes Kurumi as she's more of a support fighter than a front line one that Asuka is. While her healing abilities were quite handy here, she doesn't have the strength to take down enemies by herself like that man-eating bear that some girl with the scissors sent out to terrorize the place. That was a solid way to introduce Kurumi as she's somebody hat Asuka can talk to and be honest about unlike with Nozomi and Sayako as she needs to keep her identity a secret per JSDF orders. And of course, Kurumi would become a new transfer, as is likely going to be the case for the other three girls that are due to show up later in this show. Intense that was going to show why Asuka needs to be back doing what she has done for so long.

Comment

Episode 3

An even greater war awaits.

Here comes Mia as she's on a case to stop a smuggling operation, and finds out that this is a much bigger deal than it looks. While that's happening, Asuka and Kurumi are getting along, and things seem all well and good despite the situation as while the great war had ended, an even more terrible war is looming on the horizon as remnants from the war are being smuggled around giving rise to illegal magical girls and all sorts of chaos that will be tougher to deal with. Asuka just wanted a peaceful life, but she's now called to action again with Nozomi kidnapped, and as it turns out she's the daughter of the head of a high-ranking police official. This was pretty much the calm before the storm as things are going to get really chaotic. Sayaka already got herself into trouble, and now it's Nozomi that needs to be saved.

So I'll give this show one more episode before making a decision.

Comment

Episode 3

An even greater war awaits.

Here comes Mia as she's on a case to stop a smuggling operation, and finds out that this is a much bigger deal than it looks. While that's happening, Asuka and Kurumi are getting along, and things seem all well and good despite the situation as while the great war had ended, an even more terrible war is looming on the horizon as remnants from the war are being smuggled around giving rise to illegal magical girls and all sorts of chaos that will be tougher to deal with. Asuka just wanted a peaceful life, but she's now called to action again with Nozomi kidnapped, and as it turns out she's the daughter of the head of a high-ranking police official. This was pretty much the calm before the storm as things are going to get really chaotic. Sayaka already got herself into trouble, and now it's Nozomi that needs to be saved.

So I'll give this show one more episode before making a decision.
              Re: Episodes 2-3

A nice mini-binge.

So, we get Kurumi, aka War Nurse introduced in episode 2. Not only is she an old companion and friend of Asuka, Asuka also recruited her for the last war, so there's a strong sense of Asuka's need to protect her. Although fairly well hidden, from the cast at least, Kurumi is showing clear signs of jealousy towards the other girls for being friends with Asuka, although that seems to have eventually resulted in her accepting them. I disagreed with Buckeye regarding Nino of The Quintessential Quintuplets being yandere. Over protective does not equal yandere; simply put Nino's nowhere far gone enough to be classed as yandere. Kurumi, however, looks to have all the classic signs, plus she also seems to have signs of her own PTSD issues, like Asuka. though Kurumi seems to have PTSD from both the war and a past of being severely bullied. She's completely obsessed with Asuka, to the point of transferring to Asuka's school.

But, prior to all that, with an old weapon from the past war being used, Asuka races to save Kurumi, who doesn't have the combat power that the other girls have. However, it's worth noting that Kurumi believed she could take down the Halloween Bear; the Bear was altered and more powerful than what she'd fought in the last war.

So we get some decent fan service at the pool, and find out Nozomi's Dad is the cop in charge of torturing/interrogating Kim Kanth, the terrorist who almost killed Sayako, and thanks to the evil magical girl, Nozomi is captured.

We also get a nice bit with the American magical girl, Mia, whose power is pretty awesome (and completely in line with the blood and gore of this series), and both episodes give good explanations on why the magical girls aren't recognized.

I'm pretty well hooked on this series, so I'll keep watching.
              Last edited by General Hentai; 01-25-2019, 05:47 PM.
              My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
              1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
              2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and

Comment

Episode 4

Feel the pain.

That was pretty brutal to see Nozomi getting tortured by Abigail and her Russian mercenaries all to draw the magical girls into action as she's out to capture a magical girl alive so that the queen can make a WMD out of her. From burning her skin to drowning her, and cutting her arm off, Nozomi sure had it rough all because she's the daughter of a high-ranking police official. Asuka and Kurumi got her out, but their battle is far from over as Asuka is fighting those Russians, while Abigail is going after Kurumi. Next time, the battle is about to get even bigger with the JSDF soldiers getting involved.

So with that, the trial period is over, and the edginess has drawn me into this show, so I plan to keep watching to the end.

Comment

Episode 4

Feel the pain.

That was pretty brutal to see Nozomi getting tortured by Abigail and her Russian mercenaries all to draw the magical girls into action as she's out to capture a magical girl alive so that the queen can make a WMD out of her. From burning her skin to drowning her, and cutting her arm off, Nozomi sure had it rough all because she's the daughter of a high-ranking police official. Asuka and Kurumi got her out, but their battle is far from over as Asuka is fighting those Russians, while Abigail is going after Kurumi. Next time, the battle is about to get even bigger with the JSDF soldiers getting involved.

So with that, the trial period is over, and the edginess has drawn me into this show, so I plan to keep watching to the end.
                  Re: Episode 4

Excuse me, I'd like some darkness with my cup of darkness.

Well, this show has gone dark, big time. I have to wonder how much of the gore is going to get added on the Blu-ray/DVD release, but this was an excellent use of the art of omission. Yep, this show is edgier than knife factory. But the result is some really good action scenes, and shows just how amazing Asuka and Kurumi are as magical girls; their coordination in taking out Abigail long enough to rescue Nozomi is pretty awesome.

We also get to see how ugly the politics are on the side of the "good guys", and have to wonder how that might play going forward.

Very much "to be continued" with the Russians taking on Asuka and Abigail going after Kurumi. And I'll definitely be there next week.

Comment

Episode 5

Magic must defeat magic.

It's a great thing that they have Kurumi around as she fixed her up as if nothing happened. Her arm is back, the burn scar is gone, and her memories were manipulated so that she remembers none of this that just went down. Asuka makes quick work of those Russians but needing to unleash her ultimate technique to do so, all while Kurumi shows why she's designed for support rather than on the front lines getting tossed around by Abigail. But help arrived and just when Asuka was about to finish off Abigail, the queen comes in to take her away, and it turns out that the queen is an actress. Pretty nice way to settle things here, all while Asuka returns to duty with a purpose seeing that while it is preferred for battles to be settled with only armed forces, illegal magical girls are something only girls like Asuka can deal with.

Comment

Episode 5

Not giving the finger(s).

Magic must defeat magic.

It's a great thing that they have Kurumi around as she fixed her up as if nothing happened. Her arm is back, the burn scar is gone, and her memories were manipulated so that she remembers none of this that just went down. Asuka makes quick work of those Russians but needing to unleash her ultimate technique to do so, all while Kurumi shows why she's designed for support rather than on the front lines getting tossed around by Abigail. But help arrived and just when Asuka was about to finish off Abigail, the queen comes in to take her away, and it turns out that the queen is an actress. Pretty nice way to settle things here, all while Asuka returns to duty with a purpose seeing that while it is preferred for battles to be settled with only armed forces, illegal magical girls are something only girls like Asuka can deal with.
                      Re: Episode 5

Another solid episode, with lots of action in the first half, action of the slicing bodies in half kind. Rapture just needed to shake off some rust to deal with the Russians, but War Nurse has it tough. She uses her magic to reattach Nozomi's arm (which given today's tech isn't as uncommon a thing as it used to be, but not like this, of course), and wipe out the holes in the poor girl's skin where she was burned severely enough to pull skin off her stomach. She succeeds in getting Nozomi to safety, but then has to take on Magical Girl Abbi, and illegal magical girl.

Yes, Kurumi's a support type, and she shows in this episode that she's an outstanding one. But where Asuka had a 2-on-1 battle, it's 3-on-1 odds that Kurumi has to deal with. In fairness, we see that while she wasn't prepared to deal with the first enhanced Halloween class, she fairly easily disposes of one here. Too bad for her she still had to deal with the other Halloween class and Abbi. I get the feeling that she'd have been able to beat both Halloween classes if Abbi wasn't involved, so we see that she did up her performance from our initial witnessing of her first fight.

But she's not alone, and the JSDF members of M squad do their thing, and do it well, taking out the last Halloween class, and buying the time for Asuka to come to the rescue, who doesn't give the finger to Abbi for messing with her friend, but takes off some of Abigail's. And then it's time for the Queen to come to the rescue of Abbi, and despite the mask, Asuka realizes that this is someone she's met before. And she deserves the name of Queen, as she's extremely powerful.

With that, the Queen leaves with her minion, ending the fight. We get to see that Nozomi is utterly traumatized, but that War Nurse is able to erase all memories; Nozomi's chance at even having flashbacks has been removed, but at the cost of losing the memories of the last week. And so, Asuka decides to join M Squad, and by the preview, it looks like more Mia is on the way.

Comment

Episode 6

Wish to be happy.

So after everything that happened, everybody is getting a well-deserved day off as they spend it at the summer festival. While the girls have a great time, the same couldn't be said for Mia and Sandino as both of these girls lost their family in the war due to human weapons. But how the girls proceeded since then couldn't be any more different as while Mia became a magical girl to fight evil and make sure that nobody loses beloved ones under these circumstances, on the other hand Sandino wants revenge and has become a terrorist to do that in order to stick it to the US military. But in the end, Mia puts Sandino out of her misery during that shootout at the Queen's apartment, and while Asuka doesn't know it, she did come across an illegal magical girl who appeared to be just a foreign tourist. Next time, Tamara makes her debut.

Comment

Re: Episode 6

The hardcore continues. We get a nice contrast of Mia on her mission while the other girls get to play. Plus we get a major clue about the Queen, as she leaves behind a deliberate clue, the Magical Girls' motto from their squad in the war. Except, at this point, Mia doesn't know it was the Queen's base.

This is one of those risky things we'll have to see if it works, where everybody knows a lot of different things that would make far more sense if they talked to one another and shared info.

We also learn that Mia's parents were killed in the war, so while she understands Sandino's trauma, she's not going to tolerate it. And Sandino, well, totally messed up in the head. Trying to be kind and helpful to one girl, Asuka, while deliberately coming to kill another, Mia, with it ending saying she was glad she didn't have to kill a child. Well if she was glad she didn't have to kill a child, why'd she come in the first place? The argument is that her demons faded just before death, but this wasn't a daytrip for Sandino.

We also get some fun with Kurumi's jealousy, and plenty of whiff's of yuri.

So, it looks like we get From Russia, With Love next time, as the 4th of the 5 magical girls makes her appearance.

Comment

Episode 7

Gate open.

Asuka and Kurumi go on a mission as a gate has opened up in Hokkaido that's a portal to the Disas world, and people are making deals with them for forbidden powers. At the center of the deal is the magical girl Nazani, and she was no match for Asuka. But unlike with the other enemies, Nazani is kept alive and it's a great thing they have Kurumi who can fix her up so that she can be a source of information. And the M Squad kills everybody else with Tamara taking care of the ringleader after he transformed into a Disas himself. That's a solid way to introduce Tamara, all while setting the stage up for big things to go down in Okinawa as that Giess is nothing but bad news, all while there's something strange about that Chisato. That's where one of the fixed portals to the Disas realm is, so it figures that a big battle is about to go down.

Comment

Episode 8

Life's not a beach.

While Asuka and friends are having a fun time at the beach, things couldn't be any more different for Chisato as she has been through quite a lot of hell thanks to an accident that cost her leg, killed her mother, and turned her father into an abusive drunk. And taking advantage of the situation, Giess, who was originally a boy from Somalia where war and lawlessness runs rampant that was transformed into a cyborg, turns her into a magical girl by offering a prosthetic leg that's also a weapon. And then the moment of truth came when Chisato got revenge against the drunk drivers who caused the accident as she was told that this was the final rite of passage. Pretty cruel what Chisato had to go through, and things might have been different had Kurumi gotten to her first, but now she's someone who has totally lost her sanity, though much of the fault lies elsewhere. In the meantime, Kurumi put on quite a performance there in torturing Nazani to get answers out of her. Anyway, a big battle is about to go down seeing that Okinawa is where one of the permanent gates is.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X