X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2019] The Quintessential Quintuplets Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    五等分の花嫁

A comedy where a guy who is tasked with helping five sisters who hate studying graduate.

Airs: Thursday, January 10, 2019

Studio: Tezuka

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

A high school romantic comedy with five times the cute girls! A high school boy must work part-time to help five sisters study so they can graduate, but the only thing these quintuplets have in common is that they all hate studying!

Five girls who want to do anything but study, and their tutor: a high school boy who's got book smarts and not much else. Fuutarou Uesugi took the tutoring gig because he was desperate for cash, but when his students?the five beautiful daughters of a wealthy businessman?find five times the excuses to slack off, what can he do?! At this rate, the sisters won?t graduate, so if he wants to get paid, Fuutarou must think of a plan to suit each of them? Which feels hopeless when five out of five of them think he's a loser!

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Haru, My Roommate is a Cat
    Watching: And Yet the Town Moves, Super Sonico, Hayate the Combat Butler season 2, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Fail for five.

So it begins with Futaro taking a job to tutor five sisters from a rich family who are so spoiled that they blow off studying, and as such they get transferred into his school because they were about to flunk out. Futaro is pretty much the only man for the job as most other tutors would have quit after seeing just how unmotivated the sisters are, except for Itsuki as the fact that she doesn't want to be tutored is making her study. Futaro sure got himself into a tough job there, but somebody has to do it and with the family in need of money and with his studyholic habits, there's no question that he's the only man for the job. While it's pushing the envelope on the cliches, it figures to be a fun show moving forward as those girls sure have some screws loose. While Futaro is the smartest, he's also the one in need of the most learning as he totally blew off his social skills to become an honors student.

So like always, the trial period rules apply. It has made a favorable first impression, so at the very least it should get its whole trial period in.
    Watching: And Yet the Town Moves, Super Sonico, Hayate the Combat Butler season 2, Toonami Stuff
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
      Episode 1

Fail for five.

So it begins with Futaro taking a job to tutor five sisters from a rich family who are so spoiled that they blow off studying, and as such they get transferred into his school because they were about to flunk out. Futaro is pretty much the only man for the job as most other tutors would have quit after seeing just how unmotivated the sisters are, except for Itsuki as the fact that she doesn't want to be tutored is making her study. Futaro sure got himself into a tough job there, but somebody has to do it and with the family in need of money and with his studyholic habits, there's no question that he's the only man for the job. While it's pushing the envelope on the cliches, it figures to be a fun show moving forward as those girls sure have some screws loose. While Futaro is the smartest, he's also the one in need of the most learning as he totally blew off his social skills to become an honors student.

So like always, the trial period rules apply. It has made a favorable first impression, so at the very least it should get its whole trial period in.
      Re: Episode 1

The MC's getting laid.

That was a pleasant and fun start, with plenty of cuteness as well, and a mystery to boot. This is an interesting concept: A bridegroom is awakened at the wedding chapel on the day of his marriage, and was dreaming of the day he first met his bride-to-be, who, as we get a clear view of her at the end, is very much in love with him, and drop-dead gorgeous. So, yeah, both of them are going to have a very fun wedding night.

The flashback that takes up the bulk of episode, introduces us to Futaro, a genius honor student, whose social skills and/or poverty seem to make him the butt of a lot of humor, as he has zero friends, but gets perfect grades. While doing his austerity plan of gaming the cafeteria system for the best bang for his buck (yang for his yen?) he places his tray down at his usual table at the same time a gorgeous redhead in a strange uniform does, a girl who has loaded her plate with all the expensive food items, and then some. After some back and forth, they both eat at the same table, with her finding out how good he is at studies, and how bad he is with social skills, all at the same time. She proposes that he tutor her, which he rejects, and when she offers to share food from her tray, his pride rears up, claims that he's full, and that she's going to get fat.

Just then, his li'l sister calls, telling him that there might be a way to clear the family debts: A rich family has moved into the area and is willing to pay 5 times the going rate to tutor the family daughter, a girl who just transferred into his school, named Nakano Itsuki?

Who, of course is transferring into his class, and is the same girl he just insulted. Yes, we all saw it coming, but it was still handled very well.

While trying to apologize to her the next day, Futaro keeps getting blocked out by one or the other of Itsuki's 4 friends. But it's not until Itsuki and Futaro finally meet up outside the door to her high-rise luxury apartment/condo that a double shock takes place: Itsuki learns that Futaro is their tutor, and Futaro learns that "their tutor" means all 5 girls, who aren't friends, but quintuplets...which the title might have hinted at, LOL.

Save one, the sisters can't be described as enthusiastic about having a tutor at all, and Futaro in particular. Multiple hijinks later, Itsuki accompanies Futaro home, meeting his cute little sister and going in for dinner, and coming to understand Futaro's impoverished circumstances, with her agreeing to let him continue tutoring. Whether anyone will pay attention, that remains to be seen.

When I first saw the previews for this, I was thought that this might not be worth my time. Guy tutors 5 quintuplets? But episode 1 really hooked me. This was well executed, the comedic potential is deep, the characters all have a lot of fun aspects to them, all helped by an outstanding cast of veteran seiyuu.

And, clearly, there will be romance. We also get a full-blown mystery: Which girl does he choose, who is he going to marry. Because except for hairstyle and hair color, these girls are identical quintuplets, and the marriage is taking place when they're adults. The bride's hair color is different from any of the girls, even those who have red or reddish colored hair.

So, this show got me, completely hooked me and looks to be a good one for the season.

Last edited by General Hentai; 01-10-2019, 06:16 PM.
      My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
      1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
      2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
      3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

I actually liked this for some reason. A harem can be fun if done right, and this was fun if nothing else. Some of the comedy worked a lot better on me than I would've expected, especially a few of the reactions, which the seiyuu all nail. I feel like they'll be carrying this show more than anything, which makes some amount of sense for a series so centered on its idiosyncratic cast and the dynamics formed therein. So after this establishing episode, we'll see how well the series continues forward with those character quirks and how they play off of each other, and if it can keep my interest.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post

I actually liked this for some reason. A harem can be fun if done right, and this was fun if nothing else. Some of the comedy worked a lot better on me than I would've expected, especially a few of the reactions, which the seiyuu all nail. I feel like they'll be carrying this show more than anything, which makes some amount of sense for a series so centered on its idiosyncratic cast and the dynamics formed therein. So after this establishing episode, we'll see how well the series continues forward with those character quirks and how they play off of each other, and if it can keep my interest.
          It just has a very positive, fun vibe. Not only that, it actually has some things going for it over many other ongoing manga/light novels. With most harem shows, there's never a resolution. We're all left at some pause point that's all too often unsatisfying to downright frustrating. At whatever point this show ends, we know that the MC made a choice, he's very much in love with his bride, and she, one of the 5 girls, is very much in love with him. So while we might end this show wondering which girl, that's no different than any other harem show, but we know the guy actually makes a choice, and the girl's very happy about it, with 4 sisters also ending up with feels for the MC, we know there's (at least on the surface), a reasonable resolution for the rest of the harem, with the impression given that this is much deeper than a surface resolution.

Heh, I don't know which is rarer: Quintuplets or an anime MC getting married?
          My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
          1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
          2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and

Comment

Episode 2

Know your warlords.

So it looks like each of the next five episodes is going to focus on one of the sisters after setting things up, and the first one up is Miku. She's actually pretty smart compared to her other sisters, but she's way too shy and that has become too much of a distraction for her. She is into history, so at least that's one subject that she has well-covered, and having apparently fallen for Futaro, she's willing to be tutored by him. Pretty nice insight on Miku there as she is more reasonable than the other sisters who are going to be much tougher to deal with.

Comment

Episode 2

Know your warlords.

So it looks like each of the next five episodes is going to focus on one of the sisters after setting things up, and the first one up is Miku. She's actually pretty smart compared to her other sisters, but she's way too shy and that has become too much of a distraction for her. She is into history, so at least that's one subject that she has well-covered, and having apparently fallen for Futaro, she's willing to be tutored by him. Pretty nice insight on Miku there as she is more reasonable than the other sisters who are going to be much tougher to deal with.
              Re: Ep. 2

Now that's a rooftop confession!

It does seem like will have a "Quint of the Week" format for at least 2 weeks in a row with week 2 starting the trend by focusing on Miku. Whether we get some breaks in that format, with a more general week followed by a Quint week, we'll have to find out.

So, the girls don't want him as their tutor, and he challenges them: Take a test any girl who passes he'll never bother again. And so the do, and get a 100 on the test! Combined. Futaro suddenly realizes that ALL of the girls are terrible students and that ALL of them are major risks to flunk. Only the exuberant Yotsuba is enthusiastic about it, and she's the worst student of the bunch.

When confronting them about it at school the next day, he repeats a question from the test, showing that none of them reviewed it to learn anything, but he becomes puzzled about Miku, since she got the question right on the test, but didn't say anything. When he asks her about it later in the cafeteria, she gets embarrassed and sisters Yotsuba and Ichika simultaneously conclude: Miku's in love! Which sends Futaro into a tizzy when he gets a note from Miku asking to meet him on the rooftop.

What follows is pure fun: Futaro totally out-of-whack, hoping for a confession, yet preparing himself for this to just be a prank. Yet, here she comes, and confesses...the answer to the question he'd asked that morning from the test.

For, as it turns out, the 2 sisters' intuition was oh so right, yet oh so wrong: Miku likes Sengoku period warlords, and is obsessed with the period. Futaro attempts to use this as motivation to get her into the study sessions, but his attempt to BS his knowledge of the period is exposed, with Miku showing him for the poseur he is. Which sets him on fire and he spends the next few days reading every book in the library on the subject, and then challenging her to a contest on it, with her running away, faking like Yotsuba, and finally both collapsing. She ends up confessing that she doesn't think she's as good as her sisters, despite having the highest grade (Miku is the quiet sister), but Futaro makes a realization that gives him hope: Every sister got different answers wrong, meaning that between them, the got every answer right. And if Miku is right that what one sister can do, all of them can do, he just might pull it off.

And so the episode ends with Miku joining Yotsuba to study with Futaro.

Oh, and we get the ED (sung by Aya Uchida), and it's great!

Notes: What Miku's doing at the end of the episode in the library? Those are library cards, which many places don't have anymore in this digital age. It shows that Futaro did indeed check out all the history books on the Sengoku Period.
              -Their dialogue while running: They're playing a Japanese word game, in this case all about warlords of the Sengoku period. One would say the name of a warlord and the other would have to come up with the name of another warlord whose name starts with the last syllable of the preceding warlord's name.

This was another very good episode in this fun series.

Oh, and FYI, per Anime Network's learning of the planned Blu-ray/DVD release, there are going to be 12 episodes total.
              Last edited by General Hentai; 01-17-2019, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Episode 3

One truth prevails.

The apparent quintuplet-of-the-week pattern continues as now Nino is the girl of focus, and while Miku was relatively easy to deal with seeing that her problem is her lack of self-confidence, Nino is a yandere who will do everything and anything to chase Futaro away, but she couldn't get Miku to refuse his help. And then comes the good old accidental pervert cliche as Futaro could have lived without his flash cards for a night, but he went back and happened to have crappy timing having to save Nino from a pile of falling books to set up that staged trial. Of course, the truth would get out thanks to Miku, and Nino goes running out needing Futaro's help to make things right. Well, that was rather underwhelming as it used a lot of cliches that are commonplace in harems, but at least it made Nino a bit less of a menace. Next time, it looks like Raiha will be getting a good amount of focus.

Comment

Episode 3

One truth prevails.

The apparent quintuplet-of-the-week pattern continues as now Nino is the girl of focus, and while Miku was relatively easy to deal with seeing that her problem is her lack of self-confidence, Nino is a yandere who will do everything and anything to chase Futaro away, but she couldn't get Miku to refuse his help. And then comes the good old accidental pervert cliche as Futaro could have lived without his flash cards for a night, but he went back and happened to have crappy timing having to save Nino from a pile of falling books to set up that staged trial. Of course, the truth would get out thanks to Miku, and Nino goes running out needing Futaro's help to make things right. Well, that was rather underwhelming as it used a lot of cliches that are commonplace in harems, but at least it made Nino a bit less of a menace. Next time, it looks like Raiha will be getting a good amount of focus.
                  Re: Episode 3

Not Yandere.
                  Yandere: A term for a person who is initially loving and caring to someone they like a lot until their romantic love, admiration and devotion becomes feisty and mentally destructive in nature through either overprotectiveness, violence, brutality or all three combined. The term is a portmanteau of the words yanderu , meaning (mentally or emotionally) ill, and deredere ("lovey dovey"), meaning to show genuinely strong romantic affection. Yandere characters are mentally unstable, incredibly deranged and use extreme violence or brutality as an outlet for their emotions. Yandere are usually, but not always, female characters.

From Wikipedia's Glossary of Anime and Manga, citing
                  Galbraith, Patrick W. (2009).
                  The Otaku Encyclopedia: An Insider's Guide to the Subculture of Cool Japan
                  (1st ed.). Tokyo: Kodansha International. pp. 226?C227.

So, no, Nino is not yandere. She's not mentally unstable. Is she overprotective toward her sisters, yes. But I'd not say she's yandere. But we do get to understand what makes her tick, and what she's about is about her family; she's a sis-con times 4...which doesn't stop her from arguing with those sisters.

I disagree with you about this episode, because what we do have cliches, this episode has some fun with them. The cooking contest is something we've seen many times, but rarely like this, where the "judge", due to his extreme poverty and willingness for any food thinks all the food is great.

And then there's the ultimate cliche: Our hero finally understands what makes Nino tick, at which point he manages to achieve a breakthrough, and tame the wild Quint. Except that it doesn't happen. What happens is that it causes Nino to get even more determined to keep him out of her and her sisters' lives.

A valuable episode, because despite the lack of Nino progress, we start to understand where she's coming from and we get an important insight about Yotsuba, and we're starting to see that oldest sister Ichika has something going on as well.

This continues to be a very bright spot on Thursdays.
                  Last edited by General Hentai; 01-24-2019, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Episode 4

Girls just want to have fun.

And now an episode mainly focused on Raiha as she has been hard at work keeping the family afloat, and then comes payday as Raiha decides she wants to hit the arcade. Then they run into the other quintuplets and she's a big hit with them as they get her a lot of stuff at the festival. Just when it looked like Futaro can focus on getting his next lesson plan in order, Raiha wants to get out and about. Then comes the fireworks show as Futaro is going around to gather the sisters, all while being asked about his relationship with them only writing them off as acquaintances. Then that scene at the end there, things are bound to get ugly for Futaro if that wall slam is any indication. Good to see Raiha getting more attention, but now Futaro is in an awkward situation.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

Part 1 of....?

Fireworks! It seems like they blew the budget for this episode on the fireworks show, which is spectacular! The downside is that there were some points where I felt the animation quality wasn't equal to the past episodes, and didn't reach some of the potential of the manga's artwork, for example, the Quints' kimonos/yukatas for the fireworks show. Then again, the animation of all the fish that Yotsuba won was great. I hope they can clean this up on the Blu-ray/DVD.

This was an important episode for a lot of the characters, with good moments for most of the Quints. Futaro has big plans for Sunday: He's off and is going to study nonstop. But the doorbell rings and it's Itsuki bringing him his pay, 50,000 yen ($459.75 USD as of today). Not bad for 2 tutoring sessions. He tries to decline, due to the lack of progress (and attendance), but Itsuki refuses to take it back. Result: Raiha gets asked if there's anything she wants, so she drags them both off to the arcade. No one can withstand Raiha when she goes full puppy-eyes on anyone.

Nice fun is had, and exiting, Raiha is stunned to see 4 Itsukis. The rest of the Quints are coming to meet Itsuki and go to the big fireworks show, with Raiha getting invited, killing off the rest of Futaro's study plans. But not before he cracks the whip to make the Quints do their weekend homework.

We discover that Nino is the one in charge of the fireworks viewing arrangement, with Miku explaining to Futaro that the fireworks are special to them because their mother would always take them, and after her death, they always watch it together. But complications result in the sisters getting separated, with Itsuki getting tasked with rounding them up, all while dealing with what his relationship is with the Quints.

He succeeds in finding them all, but Ichika first runs off with an older man with a mustache, and then drags Futaro off into a deserted alley, backing him up against a wall, telling him that she's not going to watch the fireworks with her sisters. We end with a countdown on the time left for the fireworks show.

Very much a "to be continued" episode, with Ichika clearly playing an important role in the episode to come. The previous two episodes have been "Quint of the Week" format; not so much this one. All the girls got good moments, with Itsuki getting some time with Futaro and Reiha, Yotsuba having some fun, also with Raiha, Miku having some good moments, including explaining about the importance of the fireworks show to the Quints, and Nino getting to see that Futaro has his good points. However, this story looks like the ultimate focus next week will be back to Ichika, as this episode set up the mystery of what's been going on with her (we've seen the mustached man before), and we'll hopefully find out next week.

Despite some uneven animation, and animation whose potential wasn't fully tapped, this was another fun episode.
                      Last edited by General Hentai; 01-31-2019, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Episode 5

Acting out the part.

And that wall slam was just a fake-out as it was just Ichika going through with her plan to sneak out during the fireworks show to catch her audition as an aspiring actress, but she's not exactly going into it with confidence. But once Futaro got involved, things took a turn for the better, all while the sisters there show that everybody is connected. So it's back to the quintuplet-of-the-week format after taking last week off mostly to focus on Raiha. So after an episode about Miku, Nino, Raiha, and now Ichika, the next episode figures to focus on Yotsuba, and then Itsuki. Anyway, it's good to see Futaro able to apply his situation in his teaching in that the girls should only think about supporting each other and doing whatever is necessary to do that.

Comment

Episode 5

Acting out the part.

And that wall slam was just a fake-out as it was just Ichika going through with her plan to sneak out during the fireworks show to catch her audition as an aspiring actress, but she's not exactly going into it with confidence. But once Futaro got involved, things took a turn for the better, all while the sisters there show that everybody is connected. So it's back to the quintuplet-of-the-week format after taking last week off mostly to focus on Raiha. So after an episode about Miku, Nino, Raiha, and now Ichika, the next episode figures to focus on Yotsuba, and then Itsuki. Anyway, it's good to see Futaro able to apply his situation in his teaching in that the girls should only think about supporting each other and doing whatever is necessary to do that.
                          Re: Episode 5

That was a fun episode, and one that provided more insight into the Quints outlook on things, as they consider themselves 5 parts of one. This episode worked better than the previous one as the animation wasn't called upon to do as much heavy lifting as the previous episode. And, yeah, pretty much a Quint of the week episode (not that there's anything wrong with that), with the focus on older sister Ichika. whose big secret is that she wants to be an actress, and her big break audition is during the fireworks show. All the Quints get some nice moments, and Futaro finds his place: He's partners with the Quints. Plus he points out Ichika's flawed, fake smile, not because he knows her, but because it's different than the other Quints.

This was a sweet episode, and the ending with the sisters all together shooting off the pack of fireworks Yotsuba bought for Raiha, and each one taking blame for the night's failure, it was just a nice bit of familial love.

I've seen this show described as a Wholesome Harem, and that's a good summation. Episode 5 was also a Heartwarming Harem.

And now Futaro has Ichika, Yotsuba and Miku lined up to study, with only Nino and Itsuki left to add.

Comment

Episode 6

Time to hit the books, or don't.

Midterms are coming up and the father of the quintuplets has issued an ultimatum to Futaro that if any of them fail, he's fired. Of course, the girls continue to not take things seriously, especially Itsuki as she's determined to pass without Futaro's help, which is not doing it. So Futaro ends up spending a night over at the quintuplets home where they are playing, and he's trying his best to get them to learn, but of course it's not happening as the girls are more interested in other things. And then Miku ends up in the bed Futaro was sleeping in leading to some even more awkward moments there. Futaro tried, but once again the girls are blowing things off. Futaro better come up with something fast because at this rate, the pink slip is already being written.

Comment

Episode 6

Time to hit the books, or don't.

Midterms are coming up and the father of the quintuplets has issued an ultimatum to Futaro that if any of them fail, he's fired. Of course, the girls continue to not take things seriously, especially Itsuki as she's determined to pass without Futaro's help, which is not doing it. So Futaro ends up spending a night over at the quintuplets home where they are playing, and he's trying his best to get them to learn, but of course it's not happening as the girls are more interested in other things. And then Miku ends up in the bed Futaro was sleeping in leading to some even more awkward moments there. Futaro tried, but once again the girls are blowing things off. Futaro better come up with something fast because at this rate, the pink slip is already being written.
                              Re: Episode 6

Another great episode of Quintuplet fun.

We see, yet again, Futaro and Itsuki clashing, with him managing to say the exact wrong things, showing, yet again, his social tone-deafness. But at least he has a majority of the Quints in his corner now, with Ichika seemingly very aware, and enjoying every second of it, that Miku is crushing on Futaro. But then Ichika gets the tables turned on her own self, with Futaro naturally, and completely unaware of what he did, getting under Ichika's guard.

But Futaro gets the bad news from the girls' father: They all need to pass their midterms or he's fired. Which only makes his next fight with Itsuki an absolute disaster. But things get even worse when Nino learns this secret.

The sleepover study session was fun, with Futaro waking up to the sight of the lovely Miku, who wandered back to her own room after going to the bathroom during the night.

Once again, we have a nice episode with all the girls getting good moments. If there was any focus on one girl, it was Itsuki, but this feels more like a prelude to Itsuki time next week. Even with those episodes which have clearly been "Quint of the Week" format, this show has made sure to spread the love around each week. Indeed, it's changed things up a bit each time a girl has been the focus; it's definitely not been "cut-and-paste" episodes.

This show continues to be one of the highlights of a highlight filled season.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X