X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2019] The Quintessential Quintuplets Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    五等分の花嫁

A comedy where a guy who is tasked with helping five sisters who hate studying graduate.

Airs: Thursday, January 10, 2019

Studio: Tezuka

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

A high school romantic comedy with five times the cute girls! A high school boy must work part-time to help five sisters study so they can graduate, but the only thing these quintuplets have in common is that they all hate studying!

Five girls who want to do anything but study, and their tutor: a high school boy who's got book smarts and not much else. Fuutarou Uesugi took the tutoring gig because he was desperate for cash, but when his students?the five beautiful daughters of a wealthy businessman?find five times the excuses to slack off, what can he do?! At this rate, the sisters won?t graduate, so if he wants to get paid, Fuutarou must think of a plan to suit each of them? Which feels hopeless when five out of five of them think he's a loser!

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Mash Kyrielight, Fate/Grand Order
    Watching: Sirius the Jaeger, Shobitch, Machiavellism, Anonymous Noise, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, CQK, BIY, RRD, UZM, KTF, JUL, S4G, MBZ, MVN, XYS, ZLS, GSH, JSY
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Fail for five.

So it begins with Futaro taking a job to tutor five sisters from a rich family who are so spoiled that they blow off studying, and as such they get transferred into his school because they were about to flunk out. Futaro is pretty much the only man for the job as most other tutors would have quit after seeing just how unmotivated the sisters are, except for Itsuki as the fact that she doesn't want to be tutored is making her study. Futaro sure got himself into a tough job there, but somebody has to do it and with the family in need of money and with his studyholic habits, there's no question that he's the only man for the job. While it's pushing the envelope on the cliches, it figures to be a fun show moving forward as those girls sure have some screws loose. While Futaro is the smartest, he's also the one in need of the most learning as he totally blew off his social skills to become an honors student.

So like always, the trial period rules apply. It has made a favorable first impression, so at the very least it should get its whole trial period in.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Mash Kyrielight, Fate/Grand Order
    Watching: Sirius the Jaeger, Shobitch, Machiavellism, Anonymous Noise, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, CQK, BIY, RRD, UZM, KTF, JUL, S4G, MBZ, MVN, XYS, ZLS, GSH, JSY
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
      Episode 1

Fail for five.

So it begins with Futaro taking a job to tutor five sisters from a rich family who are so spoiled that they blow off studying, and as such they get transferred into his school because they were about to flunk out. Futaro is pretty much the only man for the job as most other tutors would have quit after seeing just how unmotivated the sisters are, except for Itsuki as the fact that she doesn't want to be tutored is making her study. Futaro sure got himself into a tough job there, but somebody has to do it and with the family in need of money and with his studyholic habits, there's no question that he's the only man for the job. While it's pushing the envelope on the cliches, it figures to be a fun show moving forward as those girls sure have some screws loose. While Futaro is the smartest, he's also the one in need of the most learning as he totally blew off his social skills to become an honors student.

So like always, the trial period rules apply. It has made a favorable first impression, so at the very least it should get its whole trial period in.
      Re: Episode 1

The MC's getting laid.

That was a pleasant and fun start, with plenty of cuteness as well, and a mystery to boot. This is an interesting concept: A bridegroom is awakened at the wedding chapel on the day of his marriage, and was dreaming of the day he first met his bride-to-be, who, as we get a clear view of her at the end, is very much in love with him, and drop-dead gorgeous. So, yeah, both of them are going to have a very fun wedding night.

The flashback that takes up the bulk of episode, introduces us to Futaro, a genius honor student, whose social skills and/or poverty seem to make him the butt of a lot of humor, as he has zero friends, but gets perfect grades. While doing his austerity plan of gaming the cafeteria system for the best bang for his buck (yang for his yen?) he places his tray down at his usual table at the same time a gorgeous redhead in a strange uniform does, a girl who has loaded her plate with all the expensive food items, and then some. After some back and forth, they both eat at the same table, with her finding out how good he is at studies, and how bad he is with social skills, all at the same time. She proposes that he tutor her, which he rejects, and when she offers to share food from her tray, his pride rears up, claims that he's full, and that she's going to get fat.

Just then, his li'l sister calls, telling him that there might be a way to clear the family debts: A rich family has moved into the area and is willing to pay 5 times the going rate to tutor the family daughter, a girl who just transferred into his school, named Nakano Itsuki?

Who, of course is transferring into his class, and is the same girl he just insulted. Yes, we all saw it coming, but it was still handled very well.

While trying to apologize to her the next day, Futaro keeps getting blocked out by one or the other of Itsuki's 4 friends. But it's not until Itsuki and Futaro finally meet up outside the door to her high-rise luxury apartment/condo that a double shock takes place: Itsuki learns that Futaro is their tutor, and Futaro learns that "their tutor" means all 5 girls, who aren't friends, but quintuplets...which the title might have hinted at, LOL.

Save one, the sisters can't be described as enthusiastic about having a tutor at all, and Futaro in particular. Multiple hijinks later, Itsuki accompanies Futaro home, meeting his cute little sister and going in for dinner, and coming to understand Futaro's impoverished circumstances, with her agreeing to let him continue tutoring. Whether anyone will pay attention, that remains to be seen.

When I first saw the previews for this, I was thought that this might not be worth my time. Guy tutors 5 quintuplets? But episode 1 really hooked me. This was well executed, the comedic potential is deep, the characters all have a lot of fun aspects to them, all helped by an outstanding cast of veteran seiyuu.

And, clearly, there will be romance. We also get a full-blown mystery: Which girl does he choose, who is he going to marry. Because except for hairstyle and hair color, these girls are identical quintuplets, and the marriage is taking place when they're adults. The bride's hair color is different from any of the girls, even those who have red or reddish colored hair.

So, this show got me, completely hooked me and looks to be a good one for the season.

Last edited by General Hentai; 01-10-2019, 07:16 PM.
      My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
      1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
      2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
      3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

I actually liked this for some reason. A harem can be fun if done right, and this was fun if nothing else. Some of the comedy worked a lot better on me than I would've expected, especially a few of the reactions, which the seiyuu all nail. I feel like they'll be carrying this show more than anything, which makes some amount of sense for a series so centered on its idiosyncratic cast and the dynamics formed therein. So after this establishing episode, we'll see how well the series continues forward with those character quirks and how they play off of each other, and if it can keep my interest.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post

I actually liked this for some reason. A harem can be fun if done right, and this was fun if nothing else. Some of the comedy worked a lot better on me than I would've expected, especially a few of the reactions, which the seiyuu all nail. I feel like they'll be carrying this show more than anything, which makes some amount of sense for a series so centered on its idiosyncratic cast and the dynamics formed therein. So after this establishing episode, we'll see how well the series continues forward with those character quirks and how they play off of each other, and if it can keep my interest.
          It just has a very positive, fun vibe. Not only that, it actually has some things going for it over many other ongoing manga/light novels. With most harem shows, there's never a resolution. We're all left at some pause point that's all too often unsatisfying to downright frustrating. At whatever point this show ends, we know that the MC made a choice, he's very much in love with his bride, and she, one of the 5 girls, is very much in love with him. So while we might end this show wondering which girl, that's no different than any other harem show, but we know the guy actually makes a choice, and the girl's very happy about it, with 4 sisters also ending up with feels for the MC, we know there's (at least on the surface), a reasonable resolution for the rest of the harem, with the impression given that this is much deeper than a surface resolution.

Heh, I don't know which is rarer: Quintuplets or an anime MC getting married?
          My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
          1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
          2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
          3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine
          Working...
          X