X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2019] Kaguya-sama: Love is War Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    かぐや様は告らせたい~天才たちの恋愛頭脳戦~

A romantic comedy where the main couple is holding out on confessing fearing that it's a sign of weakness as student council members, leading to all sorts of crazy situations.

Airs: Saturday, January 12, 2019

Studio: A-1 Pictures

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Considered a genius due to having the highest grades in the country, Miyuki Shirogane leads the prestigious Shuchiin Academy's student council as its president, working alongside the beautiful and wealthy vice president Kaguya Shinomiya. The two are often regarded as the perfect couple by students despite them not being in any sort of romantic relationship.

However, the truth is that after spending so much time together, the two have developed feelings for one another; unfortunately, neither is willing to confess, as doing so would be a sign of weakness. With their pride as elite students on the line, Miyuki and Kaguya embark on a quest to do whatever is necessary to get a confession out of the other. Through their daily antics, the battle of love begins!

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
    Watching: Stellvia, Baki, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Battle of the brains.

That was a pretty humorous take on the romance as Miyuki and Kaguya are in love with each other, but won't admit it, which is the point of this show as they are trying humorous ways of not confessing seeing this as a war. I especially like that whole bento part where Miyuki gets some pretty fancy stuff for lunch, all while Miyuki goes totally overboard trying to impress him with her extravagant lunch. And I like how the narrator is making things even funnier with his commentary. Great start so far.

So like always, trial period rules, but after laughing so hard in the first episode, it shouldn't be long before I call it in.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
      Episode 1

Battle of the brains.

That was a pretty humorous take on the romance as Miyuki and Kaguya are in love with each other, but won't admit it, which is the point of this show as they are trying humorous ways of not confessing seeing this as a war. I especially like that whole bento part where Miyuki gets some pretty fancy stuff for lunch, all while Miyuki goes totally overboard trying to impress him with her extravagant lunch. And I like how the narrator is making things even funnier with his commentary. Great start so far.

So like always, trial period rules, but after laughing so hard in the first episode, it shouldn't be long before I call it in.
      Re: Episode 1

Agreed. This was a fun episode, and I think breaking this down into segments is the right way to go about it. Of course, thinking this through, when (if) they were to get into a relationship, imagine how they would take on sex, ROFLMAO!
      My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
      1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
      2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
      3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Re: Episode 1

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what this series has in store. There's a lot of potential even beyond just the comedic value, which is already very strong. The romance is the basis of the jokes for now, but we get enough of the true feelings of the characters that they become adorable in their own ridiculous ways and we can't help but root for them. And I do actually like the idea that these kids are too proud to admit their feelings, as they feel like they'd be admitting defeat.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

The mountains or the sea?

The battles here are over social media, a summer vacation to the mountains or the sea, and over romantic advice, all going to show that Miyuki is a pretty dense guy. Even with his family's fortune, Miyuki opts to use a cheap phone rather than a smartphone, but social media is changing that. Then Miyuki wants to go to the mountains while Kaguya wants to go to the sea, and that ended in a stalemate leading to Chika to decide the winner, and she want with the mountains. And lastly, the good old wall slam is what Miyuki told that guy to use in order to get the girl he wants, and that led to all sorts of craziness. Pretty funny stuff once again going to show that these kids just don't have their heads straight, all while Kaguya's flat chest is put on display.

Comment

Episode 2

I wonder how many anime have had the line "Are ga Denebu, Arutairu, Bega" at this point.

Another hilarious trio of vignettes, though the repetition of the introductory pieces is going to get old very quickly if they repeat it all every episode. It would be acceptable if it was a few seconds, but that was several minutes!

Still a very enjoyable series. I still wonder if it'll break out of its formula of disconnected gag one-offs or at least spend more time on one story in the future.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

The mountains or the sea?

The battles here are over social media, a summer vacation to the mountains or the sea, and over romantic advice, all going to show that Miyuki is a pretty dense guy. Even with his family's fortune, Miyuki opts to use a cheap phone rather than a smartphone, but social media is changing that. Then Miyuki wants to go to the mountains while Kaguya wants to go to the sea, and that ended in a stalemate leading to Chika to decide the winner, and she want with the mountains. And lastly, the good old wall slam is what Miyuki told that guy to use in order to get the girl he wants, and that led to all sorts of craziness. Pretty funny stuff once again going to show that these kids just don't have their heads straight, all while Kaguya's flat chest is put on display.
              Re: Episode 2

Oh, so wrong, yet oh, so right.

First, I'll point out that not one word has yet been said about Miyuki's family wealth. With Kaguya, the emphasis starts off with her wealth. With Miyuki, it's all about his academic perfection.

Yet another fun episode, each with some stand out parts. With the smartphone episode, we see, once again, the lengths that Kaguya will use her family fortune to set up a scheme to ensnare Miyuki. Mountains versus Sea, we end up with both switching, and Chika playing a major role, as she did with the smartphone episode. Lastly, we have Miyuki giving love advice that is wrong in every way, but far more right than anyone realizes, as he attempts to bluff his way through without knowing a thing about dating,

I really like this series and the format. The ED and the OP have characters who've yet to be introduced, so I suspect we'll have then introduced into the mix, giving additional variety. Will we have an episode that consists of one extended story? Unknown. I do suspect that we might see segments that have development based upon past segments; I know I'll be watching to find out!
              My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
              1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
              2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and

Comment

Episode 3

it's her first time knowing what first time means.

That was pretty funny seeing that Kaguya doesn't know all the sexual stuff, so it's easy for Chika to get Kaguya to believe whatever she said. Then Miyuki asks Kaguya a series of yes or no questions to see if he can guess what she's talking about, and while it seems to suggest that the answer was him, he knew better and it's actually a dog he was talking about. And then the final segment is something completely different from everything else that has happened in that Kaguya is helping a little girl get to school on her way to school, and doing so almost caused her to be late herself. Mikiti is so used to walking with her friend, while Kaguya is used to taking a car ride, but neither of those things happened that day. Pretty funny stuff at the beginning, though the last segment was more about expanding Kaguya's character than taking another stab at getting Miyuki to confess.

Comment

Episode 3

Nice to see them acknowledge the repeated introduction piece by fast-forwarding through it this time.

Another couple of amusing psychological battles and one vignette that steps outside the norm. I guess that's the trend for the third section, but this time it steps outside of the school, focuses almost entirely on Kaguya, and has virtually no comedy. I preferred the comedic parts of this episode, but I do appreciate seeing the series branch out more, because variety will surely be valuable the further we go.

The highlight, of course, was the ED. Actually the cutest thing to happen this year thus far.
                  My Top Anime | Manga
                  My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                  My FP Reviews | Twitter
                  FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
                    Episode 3

Nice to see them acknowledge the repeated introduction piece by fast-forwarding through it this time.

Another couple of amusing psychological battles and one vignette that steps outside the norm. I guess that's the trend for the third section, but this time it steps outside of the school, focuses almost entirely on Kaguya, and has virtually no comedy. I preferred the comedic parts of this episode, but I do appreciate seeing the series branch out more, because variety will surely be valuable the further we go.

The highlight, of course, was the ED. Actually the cutest thing to happen this year thus far.
                    Re: Episode 3

The world grows, and ends up with Himalayan Range Cuteness.

Concerns about the opening narrative were addressed, positively, and then we get into the meat of the show:

The First Time.
                    A lewd magazine is confiscated, freaking out Chika, intriguing Miyuki, but unfazing Kaguya, who doesn't understand why neither of them have had their First Time yet. Of course, they actually know what it means, while she thinks its kissing. Great comedy of misunderstandings. We also learn that Miyuki has a little sister, and Chika has a dog named Pesu.

20 Questions Halved
                    While alone, winding things down for the day, as Chika has gone to walk her dog Pesu, and we also learn of a 4th council member who quickly came and went (we only see what appear to be male legs and feet), Miyuki, in making small talk with Kaguya, says that he's come to understand her, to which she proposes a game of 20 questions, and since he's so smart and knows her, he'll only need 10, right? Game on! And with that, Miyuki becomes clearer and clearer that she's thinking about him, until he rethinks what he knows about Kaguya and comes up with the correct answer, Chika's dog Pesu. Great fun, as we can see that this was another of Kaguya's attempts to draw out a confession. A lot of fun with the Wild West Dueling imagery.

I'm Walkin', Yes Indeed...

Kaguya, who always is driven to school, gets the chance to walk to school and plans to intercept Miyuki. But a scared little girl, walking alone for the first time, derails her plans, which work out better than she'd hoped. A very nice and different segment, sweet and cute, and showing that despite Kaguya's scheming that she really is a good and sweet person, although she'd still make Machiavelli proud.

And then, the ED.
                    The World's supply of sugar just went up tenfold with that ED. Chika singing and dancing maxed out cuteness meters world wide. I loved how her leg-swinging timed perfectly with the bell-ringing. I want, I so, so, SO WANT the lyrics for that song!

Simply a great episode all around.

Comment

Episode 4

War of words.

Once again, that was a very hilarious episode there, from the cat ears staring contest to the banned word game in which Chika did a rap, as well as the awkward date setup and cancellation and the party with the French school in which Miyuki is the only one who couldn't speak French, but managed to withstand Betsy's verbal French onslaught. That just goes to show that these characters have a lot to learn as they have way too many screws loose in their heads doing all this.

Comment

Episode 4

War of words.

Once again, that was a very hilarious episode there, from the cat ears staring contest to the banned word game in which Chika did a rap, as well as the awkward date setup and cancellation and the party with the French school in which Miyuki is the only one who couldn't speak French, but managed to withstand Betsy's verbal French onslaught. That just goes to show that these characters have a lot to learn as they have way too many screws loose in their heads doing all this.
                        Re: Episode 4

No Chika ED. Other that, everything's great.

Well, another really fun show. Chika playing the game, with the goal of Miyuki being to beat Kaguya but lose to Chika, starts well for him, but he gets caught in it and loses...which is what he wanted, but he meant to deliberately lose, not get tricked by Chika. Chika, again, is just priceless, and we get to see that despite her seemingly na?ve face and attitude, she's much more cleaver than suspected. How deep that goes....?

But the result is a win-win for Kaguya and Miyuki, as they're going to shopping together, with Kaguya all antsy to get a text from Miyuki, until her assistant just up and calls him for her. It's too much fun, as we get to briefly meet Miyuki's father, and apparently hear his sister, before the phone finally ends up with Miyuki who's in the tub. They both end up receiving their first texts from each other as well, heh.

Lastly, we have the French party, where Miyuki's lack of French comes in handy, as his ability to withstand the onslaught of insults, because he doesn't understand them, fools the headmaster, and results in the wrath of Kaguya, and then a sweet moment between them.

This has been a great season to date. There are a number of excellent shows, but shows that are different and excellent in their own unique ways, and Kaguya-sama is both excellent and unique.

Comment

Episode 5

There's something wrong with society.

Who would have come up with the idea to rebel against society when someone asks for advice on how to break up? That's what Chika says is the problem, so instead of helping the break up, they set up a charity. And then Miyuki does some intense volleyball training, but he's absolutely terrible at it not even hitting the ball on a serve. That's when Chika comes in and whips him up into shape and he's the talk of the school after all that. And then there's the good old umbrella dilemma as Kaguya and Miyuki don't have umbrellas to use. But in comes Chika with a spare and they share one in the end, even keeping it up after the rain stops. Pretty hilarious episode once again, and it also helps that the narrator was making this a bigger deal than it actually is.

And this ending theme is the same as last week's, so it looks like it's going to keep this ending for the rest of the season.

Comment

Episode 6

She's on notice.

Here are a couple of new characters in Ishigami and Hayasaka. Ishigami is the treasurer, but he's busy crunching numbers and not coming to meetings. He thinks that Kaguya is going to kill him and Chika, and while it did appear that way, that's because they are taking part in a drama club production. And then there's that whole siscon and Chika's love for flowers that came out pretty awkwardly. And then her comes Hayasaka as she's a gyaru, and she tells Kaguya to give her nails a makeover to get noticed by Miyuki, and while Miyuki did notice, it wasn't exactly how she planned it out. Pretty funny stuff once again, and the new characters sure did make their presence felt.

Comment

Episode 6

She's on notice.

Here are a couple of new characters in Ishigami and Hayasaka. Ishigami is the treasurer, but he's busy crunching numbers and not coming to meetings. He thinks that Kaguya is going to kill him and Chika, and while it did appear that way, that's because they are taking part in a drama club production. And then there's that whole siscon and Chika's love for flowers that came out pretty awkwardly. And then her comes Hayasaka as she's a gyaru, and she tells Kaguya to give her nails a makeover to get noticed by Miyuki, and while Miyuki did notice, it wasn't exactly how she planned it out. Pretty funny stuff once again, and the new characters sure did make their presence felt.
                              Re: Episode 6

In with the old and in with the new...

This show just remains an absolute highlight. We get stories involving 1 character we've seen a number of times and one who's been only hinted at, Hayasaka and Ishigami. Ishigami gets the first intro, the treasurer of the student council, who often does his work at home, and hysterically misunderstands Kaguya's actions, mistaking her displeasure at his accidently ruining one of her plans involving Miyuki and then point-blank asking her if she was in love with Miyuki, and when she denied it, offering to ensure that Miyuki knows she's not interested in her, as Kaguya being an assassin and/or serial killer. Topping it off is Kaguya coming in while trying on the drama club's costumes, along with Chika, who proves yet again, that you can never underestimate her scene-stealing ability (heh, how the costume knife was held in place).

Ishigami promises to really up the fun here, which he does in this episode, as a character who speaks uncomfortable truths, but still manages to misunderstand a great many things.

Hayasaka is someone we've met before. She's Kaguya's assistant, and we've seen her when she was part of the intricate plan for Kaguya to get Miyuki to buy a phone, helping her call Miyuki and witness the first text received by Kaguya, and approved of Kaguya walking to school by herself. We see her acting as a full blown gyaru in school, but with an entirely different attitude with Kaguya. Their relationship appears to be a secret from the rest of the school.

Hayasaka remains a bit of an enigma. Is she a gyaru who suppresses her true nature while at work, or is she the dedicated assistant who pretends to be a gyaru, someone no one would expect to associate with Kaguya, or perhaps somewhere in between. She's certainly shown herself willing to be a blunt force to cut through Kaguya's dithering, but we're also told she primarily wanted to glam up Kaguya with the nails. We'll see where this character goes. She has potential, but she doesn't hit it out the park immediately like Chika and Ishigami have.

This show just remains a complete delight.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X