X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2019] Kemono Friends 2 Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    けものフレンズ2

The second season to the CG show about animals anthropomorphized as girls. As this is done by a completely new production team that this is not a continuation of Kaban's adventure, but a new one by a different human girl, so expect it to look quite different.

Airs: Monday, January 14, 2019

Studio: Tomason

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Season 1 Thread

Serval and Caracal find a "human" child in the forest. As they travel with the child, they meet new Friends, uncover the secrets of Japari Park, and become involved in an event that will "shake the earth."

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Latina, If It's For My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord
    Watching: Princess Principal, Darling in the FranXX, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Something seems familiar.

And with this, it's a new adventure as a new human girl is going through this adventure around Japari Park, this time with Serval and Caracal as traveling companions. The first guest friend is the Indian Spot-Billed Duck, who serves as a tour guide, and then a couple of Ceruleans attack, all while there's a familiar-looking vehicle that the three get away in. Quite a lot has changed, which is to be expected seeing that Tatsumi is not directing this season after a dispute with Kadokawa, but I wasn't expecting this season to feature a different human girl, though there might be some connections yet to be explained with Kyururu's reaction when she recognized that tram and Lucky.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Latina, If It's For My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord
    Watching: Princess Principal, Darling in the FranXX, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

It's panda-monium.

Kyururu's first stop in her journey is the bamboo forest where they meet the Giant Panda and Red Panda, two animals called pandas because they both eat bamboo. While the Giant Panda is lazy, the Red Panda is really playful as they find the swing set in the picture book and have a good time. That is, until a Cerulean arrives and everything gets bamboozled. But the Giant Panda is quite strong even if she does nothing but eat and sleep as it goes to show that angering a Giant Panda IRL is not a good idea (and quite frankly, that applies to all animals, but pandas in particular are aggressive). While the panda girls are cute, the episode was just lacking the charm of the original series as it's just doing more of the same with a new MC, not exactly a formula for success, all while Tatsuki's absence continues to be greatly felt.

Comment

Episode 3

Friends of the sea.

And now, it's off to the sea as the next sketch leads them to a seaside house where Dolphin and Sea Lion work. Once again, Kyururu's search comes up empty as she found an underwater theater, but that wasn't what she was looking for. But there's a problem as she gave her last treat away and without one to offer, they are stuck at sea. Luckily for them, they had something else to make the payment with by putting on a circus act at sea. So it's more of the same here as Kyururu arrives, gets acquainted, and heads on out to the next destination of her journey now realizing that there's a house out there that she needs to find.

Comment

Episode 4

Putting the pieces of the puzzle.

And Kyururu can't go any further on the tram. So they get off, and another Lucky guides them as they happen to be at the sight of the next picture, a rock formation that lights up at night. And while that's going on, the Armadillo and Pangolin catch up, but curl like the real-life counterparts do. Things are getting more interesting now that Kyururu is someplace where there is another human around in the jungle, and a new Lucky is guiding them through it.

Comment

Episode 5

This is what it's like to be human.

And look who's back as Kaban makes quite an entrance there using a flaming paper airplane to lead a friend possessed by a Cerulean to the drink. It's off to the jungle where two crocodiles and two leopards are fighting with a gorilla there trying to maintain the peace. Things get even more interesting there when they realize that by securing Kyururu that having a human on their side gives them the edge as they talk about how humans can tell others what to do much like a pet owner. Much like with the first season, it was the human lead going through different places before something big happens midway through that changes the show's complexion in the second half. So now that Kaban has showed up that it will be interesting to see how this plays into everything.

Comment

Episode 6

It came from under the sea.

So after Kaban made her appearance last time, the first season's MC is the main focus here as she is all grown up having become a researcher at Japari Park working alongside the two owls from the library. But even they couldn't quite crack the mystery about where the latest case of Ceruleans appearing and as it turns out, it all comes from undersea volcanoes, which is what stumped these owls seeing that they were supposed to be weak to sea water. While the owls carried Kyururu out to sea to prove her hypothesis, a Cerulean in the shape of the bus has attacked the house, and Serval was able to deal with it. So now, things are connecting with the first season as Kaban is wise beyond her years, all while she has created a handy new device to aid in Kyururu's quest to find her house. And now, Kyururu is out to seek some familiar faces. It's at that point where once a huge truth is revealed the situation has changed and the show takes on a much different feel.

Comment

Episode 7

The need for speed.

So now that Kyururu has met another human, it's onto her next destination on the journey home, and it just so happens that they run into a trio of speedsters. Or rather they run into them as Cheetah, Pronghorn, and Roadrunner are trying to see who's the quickest. While Cheetah is fast, she can't keep her speed for very long as shown with that marathon race. So the two challenge in the form of a relay. But of course, it's not exactly a relay with Roadrunner flying and Serval jumping branches. It ends in a stalemate when an Cerulean attacks, and Pronghorn nearly bit the dust after pulling up lame, but Cheetah helped her out using her blazing speed to save her, and then Serval finished it off. A pretty amusing episode to say the least, but nevertheless it just keeps doing what it has been doing.

Comment

Episode 8

Now, for the opening act...

This must be a different Serval than the one from the original series as for some reason, she had been living under a rock and doesn't know Margay or PPP even though they have met. I realize that the director is different after the original one dropped out because of what Kadokawa did, but even so if this isn't the same Serval, that should have been mentioned ahead of time, or make it the same character. So as they arrive, Margay has a stage play set up for the opening act before the concert, but that gets axed when all of the performers auditioning for it fail miserably. But just when it looked like all was lost, the penguins were held up by the armadillo sisters, all while a Cerulean is on the loose that Serval and took care of using that improvisation as the opening act, which was quite a big hit with the audience. And then came what everybody came for. But now the situation has changed just like that with Kyururu being captured by those armadillos. It will be interesting to see what's coming next now that those scaly friends that had been tailing the main party has caught up and are about to do something big.

Comment

Episode 9

Any dogs in the house?

So it turns out that the client who wants to meet Kyururu so badly that she hired those scaly animals to do it for her is the domestic dog, and seeing how much these pooches are dependent on humans that it makes sense. While this is a place Kyururu could call home, her journey is not over just yet. And before that, that possessed tiger strikes again, and just like in real life, that dog is no match for the tiger, but with Serval and Caracal they were able to drive her away. That is quite reflective of how zoos work in real life in that zookeepers often have dogs to interact with these animals to help them feel at home inside the zoo, and this dog girl is doing so for Kyururu and while she's still searching for her home, she does have a place to return to.

Comment

Episode 10

Welcome to Hotel Japari.

After Kyururu lost her sketchbook that was found by two birds native to New Guinea, it's off to the next stop on her journey, an amusement park that just so happens to be by a hotel that a carrier pigeon is also going to. So while everybody is relaxing, Kaban is working tirelessly to defeat a new breed of Ceruleans, one that can take the shadowy form of a fellow Friend. And then there's the ending as Kyururu leaves the hotel and ends up falling into the sea after finding the place in the sketch. Pretty much, this is all setup for the final conflict when the Friends come to battle the new Ceruleans, and the atmosphere was quite different between Kyururu's party at the hotel and Kaban's back at her research lab. And now, things are entering the final stretch now that the new enemy has shown what it's all about.

Comment

Episode 11

Back to the drawing board.

So it turns out that Kyururu has been inadvertently creating these monsters to look like Friends as they all came from sketches she gave away. But they realize that fact a bit too late as Kyururu gave the Passenger Pigeon a sketch with everybody on it. That was quite a foreboding prophecy there when Kyururu fell into the sea, but it's thanks to the timely arrival of Dolphin and Sea Lion that she was saved. And then Kaban drives all the other animals she met there as well to fight back against those Ceruleans as while they have their appearance, they are just small fries. But then there's that last beast that was in the picture, and that's going to be the key to how things end. So just like with the way the first season ended, there's a big crisis on hand, and it doesn't exactly measure up as Kaban took one for the team there, but I'm not sure what Kyururu is up to. One more episode left to go as Kyururu finally returns home, wherever that is.

Comment

Episode 12 (Finale)

Home is where the Friends are.

It ends with a battle against the Cerulean clones, and while most of them were pushovers, the copy Serval and Caracal were much tougher seeing that their strength depends on bond level. But with some well-thought out strategies from Kyururu, as well as using the possessed tiger's rampage to their advantage, the day is saved, though the hotel gets wrecked in the process. And it is there that Kyururu realizes where home is, and it's not a place, but a companion. That was an alright ending there, but it leaves quite a lot of gaps and stuff not explained. I'm pretty sure that Tatsuki would have made things much more cohesive.

Overall, this show is a step down from the first season as Tatsuki's absence is definitely felt. It still retains some of the great traits from the first season in the great characters, amusing antics, and the whole adventure aspect, and this season the animation is a huge step up from the first season. That said, this show totally misses the mark on the story as it essentially copies the same formula from the first season, all while leaving gaps in the story that make this more fitting for a third or fourth season rather than a second one. In any case, this show was still fun to watch, just not as enjoyable as the first season in lieu of Kadokawa getting greedy that Tatsuki bailed as the director of this season.

MAL Rating:

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                          Widgets Magazine
                          Working...
                          X