Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode 8

Looks can be deceiving.

Here comes Viper Zero as she makes a dramatic appearance and makes quick work of the Xi fortress. Just when Kei thought Minghua had followed him to Okinawa, it turns out that this girl is nothing like her, and not to mention she doesn't look the same to everybody as she takes on the appearance based on who's looking at her. Viper is the quiet type who uses her smartphone to text what she is saying rather than to say it out loud, the complete opposite of Minghua. And just when Kei is already dealing with another girl, one more makes her appearance, and it looks like that blue-haired girl is the type that likes to flirt if the previews are any indication.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Haru, My Roommate is a Cat
    Watching: And Yet the Town Moves, Super Sonico, Hayate the Combat Butler season 2, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
      Episode 8

Looks can be deceiving.

Here comes Viper Zero as she makes a dramatic appearance and makes quick work of the Xi fortress. Just when Kei thought Minghua had followed him to Okinawa, it turns out that this girl is nothing like her, and not to mention she doesn't look the same to everybody as she takes on the appearance based on who's looking at her. Viper is the quiet type who uses her smartphone to text what she is saying rather than to say it out loud, the complete opposite of Minghua. And just when Kei is already dealing with another girl, one more makes her appearance, and it looks like that blue-haired girl is the type that likes to flirt if the previews are any indication.
      Re: Episode 8

Mission success and two new anima make the scene. Viper Zero gets her debut, and is interesting in that she appears differently to everyone, looking like Minghua to Kei. We get to see that Kei really is super dense when it comes to women. Viper Zero's clinical explanations as to what's going down with Minghua are a hoot, especially since Kei thinks she's actually Minghua.

We end with a new anima, who I'm guessing will be Hornet.
      My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
      1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
      2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
      3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

I'd been supposing Viper Zero amounted to "an incredible coincidence" shading into "you're even more important than you think, Kei"; the actual explanation might be seen as tying into "the Xi can deflect homing missiles," anyway. The episode didn't happen to mention what Minghua or any other woman might see looking at Viper Zero, though; maybe that's why she's so elusive...

(I suppose Minghua is the biggest contributor to "there can be something interesting about these series to me," although I'll also admit what keeps her from being quickly typed and pigeonholed amounts to her appearing to be from the Chinese mainland. That gets me thinking of "efforts made towards foreign markets" and how all those insistences that "anime ought to be aimed at more than that handful of you-know-who in Japan" might not have considered it being aimed at people speaking languages other than Japanese or English...)

Comment

Episode 9

Make the move.

Just when it looked like Kei and Minghua will finally be able to go out together on a trip to the mountains, out of nowhere Kei is called to duty and dragged into another operation, and this involves a new Anima, Rhino from America. And while she's having a fun time with Kei over pizza and other American stuff, Kei and Gripen are working the simulator to figure out what the best approach would be to ensure humanity's survival. Kei has no clue after many attempts at it, but Gripen has a plan that involves extreme measures to move humanity out so that it can at least survive. Looks like this is going to be a big operation coming up seeing that the Xi are poised to eradicate humanity. Nevertheless, Rhino made her presence known, and it's quite amusing to see it.
          Watching: And Yet the Town Moves, Super Sonico, Hayate the Combat Butler season 2, Toonami Stuff
          The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 9

Make the move.

Just when it looked like Kei and Minghua will finally be able to go out together on a trip to the mountains, out of nowhere Kei is called to duty and dragged into another operation, and this involves a new Anima, Rhino from America. And while she's having a fun time with Kei over pizza and other American stuff, Kei and Gripen are working the simulator to figure out what the best approach would be to ensure humanity's survival. Kei has no clue after many attempts at it, but Gripen has a plan that involves extreme measures to move humanity out so that it can at least survive. Looks like this is going to be a big operation coming up seeing that the Xi are poised to eradicate humanity. Nevertheless, Rhino made her presence known, and it's quite amusing to see it.
            An interesting episode which teases a great many things, but delivers on none of them...yet.

We meet Rhino, an F/A-18E-ANM Super Hornet. And I learned something new today.

She's called Rhino, instead of Super Hornet, or Hornet, because the name "Hornet" was already assigned to the US Navy/Marine Corps F/A-18C & D Hornets, which are significantly smaller planes and lighter compared to the F/A-18E & F Super Hornets. The weight of an aircraft is an important piece of knowledge for catapulting an airplane off an aircraft carrier, so the Super Hornets were given the designation "Rhino" so that catapult crews wouldn't mix up the Hornets and Super Hornets.

We also learn that the Russians have 3-4 anima themselves, while the Americans just have Rhino, though the Americans are going to try a brute force approach with unmanned aircraft with powerful AI based upon the anima, which Grippen thinks aren't nearly as good as anima, but might actually be of some help against the Xi.

And then there's the scenario that Grippen wins. Sorry, but the worst moment yet of the series. The guy's blown away that Grippen just has people leave the cities and humanity survives for 10 years. What's BS is the notion that no one would've tried it before. After all, the writers of the program got it and they're human.

But there are too many "back-to-nature" scenarios in SciFi writings in order to escape a technologically superior enemy that someone would've won the scenario within a few days of it being released, if that long. Instead we have "Dr. I'm a Mad Scientist With it Flashing So in a Neon Sign on My Forehead" just freaking out about it, and it's just stupid.

So, we'll see where this goes from this point.
            My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
            1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
            2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and

Comment

re: Episode 9

Right now, I can interpret "the scientist is gobsmacked Gripen 'won' the simulation" just as "he'd supposed she was 'programmed to fight' to the point of not being able to hit on a lateral-thinking dodge." (From the map when she got to the ten-years "victory" point, I'm not sure things would have kept going much further...) I did think a bit of what Phantom said earlier about how she'd sacrifice Japan to keep fighting somewhere else. Of course, maybe this interpretation wouldn't hold up should I ever return to the episode...

Comment

Episode 10

Off to Shanghai.

This is pretty much setup for the climactic battle at Shanghai as Kei bids farewell to Minghua realizing that he might not come back alive, and he could have even been gone even sooner thanks to Phantom almost causing him to get hit by a truck. So with that the unit sets sail for Shanghai, and these guys are partying as if they have this in the bag. Things switch between serious and lighthearted here seeing that this battle against the Xi is going to be quite a tough battle. The objective is to get the Xi to retreat seeing that for some reason, they turn tail and run after losing a certain number of units.

Comment

Episode 10

Off to Shanghai.

This is pretty much setup for the climactic battle at Shanghai as Kei bids farewell to Minghua realizing that he might not come back alive, and he could have even been gone even sooner thanks to Phantom almost causing him to get hit by a truck. So with that the unit sets sail for Shanghai, and these guys are partying as if they have this in the bag. Things switch between serious and lighthearted here seeing that this battle against the Xi is going to be quite a tough battle. The objective is to get the Xi to retreat seeing that for some reason, they turn tail and run after losing a certain number of units.
                  Re: Episode 10

Flags, what flags? Oh....THOSE flags....

So many flags were flying that things got ridiculous. The dream bit in the last episode was a bit off-putting and we get more of it again, with it just seeming too much pulling things out of the writers' collective posteriors. The last 2 episodes have been stumbling somewhat.

So, this episode we get Phantom's belief that the Americans want the mission to fail in order to get combat data on the anima in combat to upload into their mass-produced drones, while at the same time wiping out the Japanese anima to restore the balance of power, because you know, that's the kind of country America is.

So off they go, putting some non-naval aircraft to be launched from a carrier, namely USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78). Eagle and Gripen. The F/A-18 Super Hornet was designed for carrier launches, as were versions of the F-4 Phantom, but I'm not sure whether the other two could be launched from a carrier's catapult without suffering structural damage ( know about the strengthening need to survive the shock of arrested hook landings...don't know about whether any strengthening needed for catapult takeoffs).

We also get more full blown suggestions that the mad scientist is in fact, a Mad Scientist. Seems that the plan is to have a massive all out assault on the Xi, who, when they reach a certain loss level, retreat. That's what the algorithm says will happen, anyway, and we know those are never wrong as the Boeing 737 Max 8 & 9 issues tell us...uh-oh.

However, seeing as the evil American plan would possibly require the sacrifice of the world's largest aircraft carrier, all of the crew of which are buddy-buddy welcoming of the anima, we'll have to see what actually happens, though it looks heavily like it's going to be excrement and fan physical interaction time next week.

As to the episode...well, this series has me worried, and the last 2 episodes have just been flaggy as hell, and, worse, looks like we might be getting some kind of preachy ending.

We also get some more Minghua,, and further proof, as if we needed any, of how Kei is unkillable from head wounds, as the denseness of his skull is greater than a black hole. We'll see how this plays out, hopefully better than it looks like at this point.

The Gerald R. Ford is indeed the world's largest warship and is presently on active duty, although the first scheduled deployment is presently not until 2022.
                  Last edited by General Hentai; 03-15-2019, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Episode 11

There's nobody home.

The battle begins, but the mother ship ends up being much more dangerous than anticipated as it took control of the Brawler units and the Xi used them against the girls. Gripen and Rhino manage to make it out of the battle, but without enough fuel to make it back to the carrier, they are stranded in Shanghai taking shelter in the airport that is still fully functional even without anybody there. But then something is up with Rhino as Kei has been hearing an unusual sound and while searching for fuel, she shows up not exactly being herself. One more episode left to go as it remains to be seen what Rhino's deal is, as well as how to defeat the Xi that decimated the city.

Comment

Episode 11

There's nobody home.

The battle begins, but the mother ship ends up being much more dangerous than anticipated as it took control of the Brawler units and the Xi used them against the girls. Gripen and Rhino manage to make it out of the battle, but without enough fuel to make it back to the carrier, they are stranded in Shanghai taking shelter in the airport that is still fully functional even without anybody there. But then something is up with Rhino as Kei has been hearing an unusual sound and while searching for fuel, she shows up not exactly being herself. One more episode left to go as it remains to be seen what Rhino's deal is, as well as how to defeat the Xi that decimated the city.
                      Re: Episode 11

Okay, no freaking idea where this is going. Power on, but nobody's home. Next week for answers, and hope the answers make up for the last few episodes.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine
                      Working...
                      X