X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2019] Girly Air Force Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ガーリー・エアフォース

A show about girls taking to the sky and exterminating mysterious creatures that pose quite a huge threat to humanity.

Airs: Thursday, January 10, 2019

Studio: Satelight

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Mysterious flying creatures known as Zai suddenly appear, and in order to fight the creatures, mankind creates fighter aircraft called "Daughters," as well as the automatic fighting mechanism "Anima," which are shaped like human girls. The story centers on a young man named Kei Narutani, who yearns to fly in the sky, and an Anima considered to be humanity's trump card, a girl name Gripen.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Mash Kyrielight, Fate/Grand Order
    Watching: Sirius the Jaeger, Shobitch, Machiavellism, Anonymous Noise, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, CQK, BIY, RRD, UZM, KTF, JUL, S4G, MBZ, MVN, XYS, ZLS, GSH, JSY
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Gotta earn his wings.

So it begins with Narutani wanting to get into the JSDF, but not if Minghua has any say in the matter. But things change quickly when the two get kidnapped after Narutani snuck out in the middle of the night with Minghua following him. And then comes a crash course on the enemy and why the Xi are such a big threat as they emit interference that messes up the machinery. It doesn't explain why the pilots are all girls, but that's something for another day seeing that it's all about setting the table. Not the best of starts there as it's pretty generic, but I'm hoping for some nice action like what happened at the beginning before getting to the main story at hand.

So as usual, the trial rules apply. I have been greatly interested in this show coming in, so that's something I'll take into account.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Mash Kyrielight, Fate/Grand Order
    Watching: Sirius the Jaeger, Shobitch, Machiavellism, Anonymous Noise, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, CQK, BIY, RRD, UZM, KTF, JUL, S4G, MBZ, MVN, XYS, ZLS, GSH, JSY
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

re: Episode 1

"Slightly modified real-world designs with glowing decals added" have me thinking of Arpeggio of Blue Steel, which I skipped the computer-animated anime of and went straight to the manga, to constantly wonder if the complicated plot is getting away from me... part of Arpeggio's complications, though, is its relatively memorable antagonists, whereas here things are much less elaborate to start with and I do fear this will be a series most swiftly dismiss with "the characters aren't likeable." Still, it did get my attention that the main character's original and purely human girlfriend appears to be Chinese.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
        Episode 1

Gotta earn his wings.

So it begins with Narutani wanting to get into the JSDF, but not if Minghua has any say in the matter. But things change quickly when the two get kidnapped after Narutani snuck out in the middle of the night with Minghua following him. And then comes a crash course on the enemy and why the Xi are such a big threat as they emit interference that messes up the machinery. It doesn't explain why the pilots are all girls, but that's something for another day seeing that it's all about setting the table. Not the best of starts there as it's pretty generic, but I'm hoping for some nice action like what happened at the beginning before getting to the main story at hand.

So as usual, the trial rules apply. I have been greatly interested in this show coming in, so that's something I'll take into account.
        Re: Episode 1

So, Kancolle, Arpeggio of Blue Steel, etc.? Though why anyone would bother with an antique like the JSDF's version of the F-4 Phantom....

Well, that's off to a start... Not the best, not the worst, but it is a start. So, it looks like these girls are the incarnations/avatars of the planes or some such that presumably will get explained better in episode 2. Right now, other that the Xi exist, nothing is known about them. Aliens? A secret hi-tech faction? One might presume that they're about extermination, as there's zero strategic or tactical value in going after a refugee fleet unless it's full of your political opponents, to prevent them from rising up one day (which is not to approve of the slaughter of helpless civilians, but attempt to find some reason for such a violation of international law).

So, we'll see where this goes.
        My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
        1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
        2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
        3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine
        Working...
        X