X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2019] Girly Air Force Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ガーリー・エアフォース

A show about girls taking to the sky and exterminating mysterious creatures that pose quite a huge threat to humanity.

Airs: Thursday, January 10, 2019

Studio: Satelight

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Mysterious flying creatures known as Zai suddenly appear, and in order to fight the creatures, mankind creates fighter aircraft called "Daughters," as well as the automatic fighting mechanism "Anima," which are shaped like human girls. The story centers on a young man named Kei Narutani, who yearns to fly in the sky, and an Anima considered to be humanity's trump card, a girl name Gripen.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Gotta earn his wings.

So it begins with Narutani wanting to get into the JSDF, but not if Minghua has any say in the matter. But things change quickly when the two get kidnapped after Narutani snuck out in the middle of the night with Minghua following him. And then comes a crash course on the enemy and why the Xi are such a big threat as they emit interference that messes up the machinery. It doesn't explain why the pilots are all girls, but that's something for another day seeing that it's all about setting the table. Not the best of starts there as it's pretty generic, but I'm hoping for some nice action like what happened at the beginning before getting to the main story at hand.

So as usual, the trial rules apply. I have been greatly interested in this show coming in, so that's something I'll take into account.
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

re: Episode 1

"Slightly modified real-world designs with glowing decals added" have me thinking of Arpeggio of Blue Steel, which I skipped the computer-animated anime of and went straight to the manga, to constantly wonder if the complicated plot is getting away from me... part of Arpeggio's complications, though, is its relatively memorable antagonists, whereas here things are much less elaborate to start with and I do fear this will be a series most swiftly dismiss with "the characters aren't likeable." Still, it did get my attention that the main character's original and purely human girlfriend appears to be Chinese.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
        Episode 1

Gotta earn his wings.

So it begins with Narutani wanting to get into the JSDF, but not if Minghua has any say in the matter. But things change quickly when the two get kidnapped after Narutani snuck out in the middle of the night with Minghua following him. And then comes a crash course on the enemy and why the Xi are such a big threat as they emit interference that messes up the machinery. It doesn't explain why the pilots are all girls, but that's something for another day seeing that it's all about setting the table. Not the best of starts there as it's pretty generic, but I'm hoping for some nice action like what happened at the beginning before getting to the main story at hand.

So as usual, the trial rules apply. I have been greatly interested in this show coming in, so that's something I'll take into account.
        Re: Episode 1

So, Kancolle, Arpeggio of Blue Steel, etc.? Though why anyone would bother with an antique like the JSDF's version of the F-4 Phantom....

Well, that's off to a start... Not the best, not the worst, but it is a start. So, it looks like these girls are the incarnations/avatars of the planes or some such that presumably will get explained better in episode 2. Right now, other that the Xi exist, nothing is known about them. Aliens? A secret hi-tech faction? One might presume that they're about extermination, as there's zero strategic or tactical value in going after a refugee fleet unless it's full of your political opponents, to prevent them from rising up one day (which is not to approve of the slaughter of helpless civilians, but attempt to find some reason for such a violation of international law).

So, we'll see where this goes.
        My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
        1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
        2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
        3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 2

Not just a weapon.

And Kei goes out on a date with the girl known only by the jet she flies, Gripen. It turns out that Gripen isn't exactly human as she is a creation made for fighting. They have a date together, but when the date ends reality hits as she can only stay awake for so long, and should she prove to be incompetent, she gets scrapped. That was quite a nice date those two had together, and then there's the realization that she's emotionally dependent on Kei going to show there's a lot more to these girls than just being pilots. Pretty interesting setup here as this is shaping up to be something down the lines of Date A Live where the MC is tasked with falling in love (or in this case, just having a high affection level) in order to save humanity.

Comment

Episode 2

Not just a weapon.

And Kei goes out on a date with the girl known only by the jet she flies, Gripen. It turns out that Gripen isn't exactly human as she is a creation made for fighting. They have a date together, but when the date ends reality hits as she can only stay awake for so long, and should she prove to be incompetent, she gets scrapped. That was quite a nice date those two had together, and then there's the realization that she's emotionally dependent on Kei going to show there's a lot more to these girls than just being pilots. Pretty interesting setup here as this is shaping up to be something down the lines of Date A Live where the MC is tasked with falling in love (or in this case, just having a high affection level) in order to save humanity.
            Re: Episode 2

10 hours, courtesy of Prince Charming.

Looks like next week we'll find out why all the dirty glares are being cast their way by the base members. And so, we meet Gripen, with still much to learn about her. But we learn that the longest she's been awake is 3 hours until her date with Kei, when she was awake for 10 hours. And that if she can't pass her flight test in a week, she'll be scrapped.

So it looks like we're seeing a cross between a "girls as weapons" series, and "girls who need love/affection" to level up, or be made safe, ala Date Alive as Buckeye pointed out.

I've been a fan of military planes since I was a kid, so I'm a prime audience for this series. It's pleasant enough, but nothing really stands out too much at this point. I'll be seeing whether the enthusiasm level can be maintained. It's not helped that I've watched it after The Quintessential Quintuplets both times, as it just pales by comparison.
            My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
            1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
            2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and

Comment

re: Episode 2

This could be "famous last words," but after ending the first episode wondering about this series being quickly written off as "the characters aren't likeable," I did feel more positive this time around even with most of the episode presenting Gripen as "loveably peculiar when not in the air." Of course, things could change again as what's already been set up as at least a three-pointed "love polygon" gets developed... After supposing "of course the enemy are alien invaders," it did get my attention for TV commentators to refer to "China's civil war."

Comment

Episode 3

The Eagle has landed.

Some really terrifying truths get revealed here. First of all, Kei realizes that his hometown is no more as it was destroyed as collateral damage of a Xi attack. And then he finds out that Gripen is actually made out of Xi parts and created in a lab. And then comes Gripen's test flight as things go wrong when a Xi attacks, but just when it looked like Gripen was a goner, in comes Eagle making quite a dramatic entrance to save the day. It will be interesting to find out what Eagle's deal is as she's another girl just like Gripen, but she's different.

So with that, I'll give it one more episode as this was a better episode than the first two, but while it has shown some nice things, it's not really doing anything to stand out.

Comment

Episode 3

The Eagle has landed.

Some really terrifying truths get revealed here. First of all, Kei realizes that his hometown is no more as it was destroyed as collateral damage of a Xi attack. And then he finds out that Gripen is actually made out of Xi parts and created in a lab. And then comes Gripen's test flight as things go wrong when a Xi attacks, but just when it looked like Gripen was a goner, in comes Eagle making quite a dramatic entrance to save the day. It will be interesting to find out what Eagle's deal is as she's another girl just like Gripen, but she's different.

So with that, I'll give it one more episode as this was a better episode than the first two, but while it has shown some nice things, it's not really doing anything to stand out.
                  Re: Episode 3

I also liked this episode best of all...but it's also the first one I watched before watching The Quintessential Quintuplets. His hometown was destroyed and then he finds out Gripen is made from the Xi, the race/faction that killed his mom. A number of mysteries here, and we get the introduction of genki girl Eagle...though why Eagle has the tail rudders of an F/A 18...

I'll probably stick with it. It's not doing anything bad and has good moments, and will do until Promised Neverland has enough episodes for me to binge. Plus I am a military plane freak (retired).

Comment

Episode 4

Proving her worth.

With Eagle at the scene, the JASDF apparently has no more use for Gripen after underperforming in her test flight, and with Gripen headed to the scrap heap that Kei is desperate to try and stop that from happening. And that he did as thanks to him going along for the ride with Gripen that she unlocks a secret power that took Kei's emotional support to unlock. That was some solid development there as Kei always knew that Gripen had it inside her, but now he needs to do something about the collateral effects there as he got a pretty nasty bruise from this.

So with that, the trial period is over, and while I haven't decided about this show I'm leaning towards staying on-board. It's far from the greatest, but it has captured my interest with these latest episodes after a rough beginning.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

Eagle! We get introduced to genki girl Eagle who's quite fun with her high energy and enthusiasm. She's prepared to take over all the defense roles herself, and Gripen's headed to the scrap heap. Kei goes to have her run off with him to escape that fate, but an attack takes place, and while we get to see how awesome Eagle is, the numbers keep mounting up, with a heavy bomber force on the way to wipeout the city. Gripen decides not to run, but to fight, to save the city and protect humanity, and Kei decides to go with her, due to the effect his proximity has on her abilities. Despite some problems, Gripen saves the day, and Kei gets the crap knocked out of him due to the high G-forces.

So, it looks like we'll finally meet the 3rd girl, Phantom, next episode.

This was a fairly predictable episode, but it was still fun to watch, as the action scenes were entertaining. It'll be interesting to see if they keep Kei's vulnerability to G-forces as part of the storyline, because one of the things about the anima girls is that they can withstand G-forces that regular humans can't.

Comment

Episode 5

Forming a team.

While Kei saved Gripen from the scrap heap, she's got a lot of catching up to do seeing that her skills are woefully lacking compared to Eagles. And then comes Phantom whose style of fighting is as her name implies during that simulation. So the three girls are now their own unit with Kei leading the team, but they are absolutely lacking in teamwork as Gripen's talent deficiency, Eagle's immaturity, and Phantom's ego are making things quite difficult. If they are going to stand a chance against the Xi, they are going to have to work really hard at it as it just isn't going to end well as things are at the moment.

Comment

Episode 6

Her superiority just won't fly.

The lack of teamwork sets the stage up for this to go down as Phantom's superiority complex has Gripen and Eagle not exactly thinking straight. Especially with that attack on the Xi base out in sea where they totally underestimate the situation thinking that everybody could just go in and drop a bomb on that place. But they ought to realize that if it were that easy to take out like that, it would have been destroyed quite a long time ago already. That was a wake up call that the girls needed seeing that Eagle was shot down and the girls took a lot of damage with that missile attack, and now the next step is to regroup and get on the same page somehow as it's not going to be easy with Phantom way above the other two in combat.

Comment

Episode 7

Fly by her side.

So the challenge match is on, and while Phantom showed just how tough she was to deal with, Kei showed the power of a human pilot as he was able to locate her for the win in the simulator. After seeing what Kei did with Gripen, Phantom now wants Kei for herself even more. So the next operation is on, and things are going quite badly leading to Eagle having to split up from the team to help out the struggling fleet, all while Gripen and Phantom deal with the fortress. Pretty much, this episode is all about getting on the same page and getting Phantom to realize that she needed to stop showing off and start thinking about the big picture since everything blew up in their faces the last time around.

Comment

Re: Episode 7

So Kei manages to take down the cocky Phantom, by having her get complacent with a decoy, and having 2 systems in the simulator, one for anima, which Phantom hacked, and another for humans, which never occurred to Phantom. Meaning that when Kei took over, he knew exactly where Phantom was and blew her into dust bunnies.

We also get a tease on Naha base's defender daughter, Viper Zero, an upgraded F-16 Fighting Falcon. Of interest and coincidence, Lockheed Martin is attempting to sell to India a very similar version which would be locally produced called the F-21. Among the other competing aircraft for the contract? Saab's Gripen.

And then we're off to the mission, with Phantom conning Eagle into defending the 7th Fleet, Kei facing his fears by taking on the Xi, the (race? Faction? Aliens?) that killed his mother, with the big fight coming next week.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X