X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2019] Grimms Notes Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    グリムノーツ

A show based off a game where people live life by what is written in their books. But someone has been up to no good writing all sorts of nasty stuff in these books and as such, the world has been thrown into chaos.

Airs: Thursday, January 10, 2019

Studio: Brain's Base

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    HIDIVE

The game takes place in a world created by a beings known as "Story Tellers." At birth, all inhabitants of this world are bestowed with a "book of fate" where all their lives are written in advance. However, rogue Story Tellers known as Chaos Tellers are writing bad events into people's books without them knowing. It is up to the holders of blank books of fate to seek out the Chaos Tellers and restore the world.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
    Watching: Ingress, Ancient Magus' Bride, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Who's afraid of the big, bad wolf?

So it begins with the characters in the story zone of Little Red Riding Hood saving the main heroine from the wolf, but it turns out that Hood is the big, bad one. She is turning villagers into monsters to her fears getting the best of her that stem from her parents getting remarried. But leave it to those four adventurers to rewrite her fate and make this right again, just like in the fairy tale. Well, that was alright as while it was entertaining enough, it certainly feels like an advertisement for the mobile game as it dropped things smack dab in the middle of a quest. I have a feeling that this will be a book-of-the-week kind of deal given the lack of setup.

So with that, the trial rules apply once more. While it wasn't anything too special, there were parts of this I liked.
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

Living in an impossible dream.

The story of this week is Man of La Mancha as Don Quixote is living in a world that isn't exactly possible under normal circumstances. He's a geezer with some screws loose seeing Ex as his partner Sancho, as well as Dulcinea being there as she's a materialization of his fantasies. And then there's the windmill monster that's the source of the problem that Ex takes care of using his newly-acquired power from Little Red Riding Hood. Pretty much, it's more of the same from last week, though at least the story is a bit more interesting.

I'll give it one more episode, but this is looking like a sure-fire drop.

Comment

Re: Episode 1

So Red Riding Hood is one of those stories that's kind of unsettling if you know what the underlying themes are and it's clear this show knows those themes. Also I'm guessing Red drunk the wine herself. It could be seen as an act of defiance. Heck even her becoming the wolf that she doesn't want to be devoured by is part of the whole theme.

I do like how they can transform to forms opposite their gender. Granted who has what forms is something we'll find out over time. Doubt they will use every form from the game though. Plus if this is like a lot of adaptations the more interesting forms won't be used.

Re: Episode 2

So Red Riding Hood is a fire mage? Well she did burn the house down. Hopefully Ex won't be the only one to use multiple forms. Can't be the case anyway. As it would limit the number of combinations and make it a lot hard to mix things up.

Episode 3

So we began the origin of things. Well at least for Ex. We get to see he knew Cinderella before he met Reina and likely before she got that form. Ex first used Jack. (Maybe there will be an episode about getting Alice later?). No Tao or Shane yet, but I'm sure they'll appear in episode 4 since this is at least two parts and those two are supposed to predate Ex.

One thing is for sure, if/when we see Ex using Red Riding Hood again, we can be 100% sure we're back in the present. Or when we one of the characters from episode 2 used. I'm confident that Reina will get the Dulcinea form/

In any case, this show while having a definite formula works for me. I like Fairy Tale references. And the whole magical girl/magical boy thing is kind of amusing. Even more so in the sense that least as of episode 1, the characters accept their transformation status. I mean sure it's possible that when Ex first transformed into Alice he might have been confused about becoming a girl, but it's clear by the time of episode 1, he has no real issues.

Also it gets bonus points for starting the way it did. Ie giving us impact with Red Riding Hood. Second episode was a bit weaker, but it still served a purpose. Third episode was fine too. Here's hoping the fourth is solid.

"So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
        Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Episode 3

Somebody has come to crash the ball.

And it's backstory time as to how Ex got his CInderella powers, as well as setting Loki up to be a menace there. Everything had been going as the story of Cinderella is told, but then Loki comes and changes everything. Ex didn't have a Book of Fate, but things changed in quite a hurry there. And now, Cinderella is in danger as it's up to him to save her.

So with that, I guess I'll finish up this story at the very least, but I have long since decided to drop this show and wasn't sure if I was going to give this episode a go. In any case, I'll watch the next episode and that will be it.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
            And it's backstory time as to how Ex got his CInderella powers,
            How does Reina transforming into Cinderella in two episodes so far, and Ex not being shown using the form even once make it his power? I mean maybe it's possible that the forms are shared. So maybe he can use Cinderella as well. Heck maybe Shane can use Red Riding Hood. However that would make it "their" power. Maybe you meant to say "Hero Power", "Connect Power"?
            "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"

Comment

Episode 4

So the Chaos Teller this time is Fairy God Mother who becomes overly protective of Cinderella. Granted part of the issue is a special day doesn't last forever.

We do get Alice already and an explanation for how the characters could even get started on their journey. Guess Reina's position and the book gave them initial summons err connects.

So far only Shane hasn't used a second form. At least not on screen. I'm sure she'll use one eventually.

It's an over all fine origin 2 parter. It won't change your mind if you didn't like the first two episodes, but it works well enough. Granted I can see why they didn't start with it. Ie they wanted people to see the formula from the start instead of waiting for set up.

Reina being a fan girl of Alice on top of her also getting Cinderella eventually whom Ex has a thing for who becomes Alice... Yeah this is a set up.

This episode also tells us the "oh god we're doomed" moment will be if/when the book is stolen and/or Reina gets captured.

Comment

Episode 5

John Silver does have a point about the whole "doomed to failure" part of his fate. Also, we get swimsuits meaning all four become girls with Shane being Red Riding Hood this time. So yeah the forms are kind of shared. Somewhat anyway. Ie Ex still has access to the most forms due to having all four types instead of just 1 or 2.

Comment

Episode 6

So we already touched on the idea of there being multiple playing the same role with Red Riding Hood. Then Cinderella gave us the idea of repeating roles with the Fairy God Mother being the same for several Cinderellas.

Here we have the idea of Snow White and the Queen being a cycle. Where Snow White becomes the Queen eventually. Interestingly enough there was no transformations in this episode. Instead it ends with current Snow White and the Queen (Former Snow White) bonding. As well as the idea of them trying to work with their fate.

Ie Snow White wants to change things just enough so that her mother won't have to die from dancing to death. Yeah the shoes are a part of this version.

Episode 7

So Curly aka the Chaos Priestress aka Crticic wanting to start her own blog ranting about fairy tales makes her presence known. The subject this time is the Snow Queen except this time Gerda gets cursed. The episode is also used to play up the brother and sister angle. Let's just say we need an episdoe to give a back story on Shane and Tao.

So they finally use Don (Tao) and Dulcinea (Reina). Ex gets to be Snow White and Shane gets to be the Queen. That's right Shane is our queen! Also she does the transformation and quote this time.

There are aspects of the plot that could use polish, but this show has been interesting so far. Mostly because it gives us different views on fate. In episode 6, we had the idea of fate forcing suffering in a family.

This time around we had the idea of what if a person followed their fate, but without any real meaning behind it? They were just going through the motions. Ie an empty fate. We'll see what 8-End have to say.

I think the ultimate answer is having a fate as a guide line isn't bad by itself. However a fate that's too restrictive, that doesn't allow some breathing room is an issue. Heck come to think of it, what happens with a lot of fairy tale adaptations? Elements get changed. Perhaps that's what these people with fates need, the ability to change some elements. Or at least the ability to say "I'm my own Snow White, my own Cinderella" if that makes any sense.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine
                  Working...
                  X