The Rising of the Shield Hero Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gildor View Post

I had the same thought. That Lord had a sword to Melty's throat. Given that she is the Crown Princess, he didn't seem too worried that the King and/or Queen would relieve him of his head when they found out. Maybe he thinks he could pin her death on Naofumi.

Although it may be a little late, she needs to start a little psychological warfare on her own. All these soldiers are after her. She needs to denounce them as traitors and rebels that are trying to kill the royal family or something like that. I understand she may want to avoid civil war, but she is risking even more chaos if her sister takes the throne.
    Yeah I mean she says the monarchy is a matriarchy at one point but the king seems to be the one in power. Something doesn't make sense here... hopefully more backstory is coming.

As for episode 15 I didn't like how they had it both ways - Raph didn't have to kill the guy but he still died after proving to be incredibly irredeemable. We really need to have a show that admits - some people (like this dude) just need killing. As well the new monster just looks like a dinosaur transformer and doesn't really fit at all. Still feels in the episode were good and I hope the next episode brings us some more backstory.
    There is no coincidence only inevitability

Comment

Episode 16

Make way for the queen.

Here comes Fitoria, the queen of the filolials, and she made quick work of the T-Rex that the fat noble summoned to crush Naofumi all while laying waste to the town. But Filo was able to lead it out of town where they happen to run into a pack of those birds with that monster no match for Fitoria. So after running around and experiencing a lot of tension and heartbreak, Naofumi and company finally get to relax a bit, and he will need it seeing that working with the other heroes is what he will need to do next realizing that they are called heroes for a reason.
      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
      Watching: Ingress, Ancient Magus' Bride, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
      Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

This was a better episode - we get to see more of the expanding (and wow that was an expansion) cover up. One question though if the heroes are supposed to help one country each why could one country summon all four? Shield hero here had a bit of a character change as he at least seemed to act like in episode 14 that there was a chance the other heroes could wake up, giving them the symbol of the three heroes.

Also I love that we had for so long people treating Filo like she was some sort of queen - and then we see the real one and its like um yeah now THAT is a queen.

I also feel like there is a little bit more to her - well if you are not going to work together than I have to kill you bit. Maybe then they can summon different ones that might not be so stupid? Maybe she worries they will kill the world as they fight each other? I don't know just seemed a little out of left field (which of course was the intent - but led to some interesting CR comments).

Still glad this continues to surprise and stay good!

Comment

Re: Episode 16

Geez, Myne always turns up where she should not, this time in the archive where there is presumably information which goes against what she has been saying about the demis and the Shield Hero. It will be harder and harder for her to blame Naofumi as the other heroes start to learn (I hope!) of what is going on. Myne turns up at so many inopportune times, I again wonder whether her motives are really just anti-demi or something more sinister.

Avatar: Tanya Degurechaff from Saga of Tanya the Evil

Comment

Re: Episode 16

This episode had really great production values. The plot progression is becoming very intriguing. I'm certainly interested to learn the details of Myne's motivations, hopefully within this season.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 17

Promise to fight together.

And now, Fitoria has a test for Filo seeing that Naofumi just isn't willing to work together with the other heroes by the time the next Wave strikes. But seeing that they will have to comply with Melty held hostage that Filo takes a test to fight Fitoria in her girl form. Of course, she would struggle as all she knows is how to fight with brute strength, but she did show her resolve in a big way, so now she's a princess who's next in line to become queen. While Naofumi is still underleveled, he will have some powerful new abilities to look forward to. So while they have earned Fitoria's trust, Naofumi has quite a big task ahead of him needing to get on the good side of the other heroes realizing just how much of a pariah he is. Something big is about to happen given the way the episode ended.
              Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
              The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 17

All hail Queen Filo! History is clearly repeating itself as Fitoria seemed to have the same relationship with the previous Shield Hero, and sees that bond as proof both that Filo deserves to be her successor and that Naofumi can unite the Cardinal Heroes and face the Waves as a team like they should be. Too bad the others seem to be caught in a deadly trap; Naofumi is actually the safe one for once.
                My Top Anime | Manga
                My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                My FP Reviews | Twitter
                FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                  Episode 17

Promise to fight together.

And now, Fitoria has a test for Filo seeing that Naofumi just isn't willing to work together with the other heroes by the time the next Wave strikes. But seeing that they will have to comply with Melty held hostage that Filo takes a test to fight Fitoria in her girl form. Of course, she would struggle as all she knows is how to fight with brute strength, but she did show her resolve in a big way, so now she's a princess who's next in line to become queen. While Naofumi is still underleveled, he will have some powerful new abilities to look forward to. So while they have earned Fitoria's trust, Naofumi has quite a big task ahead of him needing to get on the good side of the other heroes realizing just how much of a pariah he is. Something big is about to happen given the way the episode ended.
                  Re: Episode 17

Where's Admiral Ackbar when you need him? Oh, right, Rian Johnson killed him off...

Well, he was certainly needed at the very end...more on that next week.

Another good episode: Fitoria shows how serious she is, but between Filo's gutsiness, largely due to Naofumi, and the similarities she sees between Naofumi and the hero who raised her, Fitoria decrees that Filo passes the test, and won't kill Naofumi or harm Melty. Indeed, it becomes clear that she trusts Naofumi (though it still seems that if she had to, she'd kill him to, though now only as a very last resort).

Fitoria also leaves us with a riddle: Save the world or save the people? And she makes clear that they are different things. This is a choice she believes the heroes will someday face.

And with that, the show ends with the Sword and Bow hero getting nuked. To Be Continued....
                  My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                  1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                  2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                  3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Wish there was more interaction between the people in this thread commenting on others posts so I'll try too. Did you get the sense it was the shield hero that raised her and she knows but doesn't want to say so? Also ah the reverse lap pillow so nice! I also love the shield hero telling Filo to reform her dress - unlike the current queen she doesn't seem to care about such things going around bare foot all the time as she does.

Who also expected Melty to ask to sleep in the queens fur rather than just given a ride? I could see her burrowing deep into the queens fur. And no comments on the cow lick? I found that whole sequence hilarious...and yes the hero's needed a General Ackbar - though I expect it is still if all the heroes were present the weapons appear. Test to see if the hero's are working together.

What do you think will be the other hero's reactions when they hear waves are happening in other countries and why are these countries not reaching out to the heroes?

Comment

Episode 18

The time for judgment is here.

So the church is pulling the strings for everything that has been happening lately to dispose of the heroes, first by taking out Itsuki and Ren as seen at the end of the last episode, and then laying their "murders" on Naofumi. As such, Motoyasu fights Naofumi taking the church's word for what it is and not even seeing their corpses to believe the truth. Naofumi puts those combo attacks to great use there to show that while Motoyasu had been basking in the limelight, Naofumi has been working hard to do what a hero is supposed to do. It wasn't until a pillar of light of nowhere that would have killed everybody had it not been for Naofumi that Motoyasu is finally listening, and it's revealed that the church is trying to overthrow the royal family. That was quite the conspiracy being cooked up, and this is why Fitoria said that they had to work together, and the opportunity to make it happen just arrived.

Comment

Re: Episode 18

The Pope is the greatest villain after all, even making Myne an actual target that Naofumi has to protect... immediately after fighting for his life against her silly little Spear Hero on another one of her whims. It is a little surprising that she seems fairly oblivious against a scheme conspiring against the Shield Hero, especially for her to be on the receiving end as well. It will certainly be hard to accept her as a sympathetic character, if it ever gets to that point.
                        My Top Anime | Manga
                        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                        My FP Reviews | Twitter
                        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                          Episode 18

The time for judgment is here.

So the church is pulling the strings for everything that has been happening lately to dispose of the heroes, first by taking out Itsuki and Ren as seen at the end of the last episode, and then laying their "murders" on Naofumi. As such, Motoyasu fights Naofumi taking the church's word for what it is and not even seeing their corpses to believe the truth. Naofumi puts those combo attacks to great use there to show that while Motoyasu had been basking in the limelight, Naofumi has been working hard to do what a hero is supposed to do. It wasn't until a pillar of light of nowhere that would have killed everybody had it not been for Naofumi that Motoyasu is finally listening, and it's revealed that the church is trying to overthrow the royal family. That was quite the conspiracy being cooked up, and this is why Fitoria said that they had to work together, and the opportunity to make it happen just arrived.
                          Bad as it is to have to fight the waves, with the backstabbing from Myne and the King, plus the lack of support to outright antagonism he gets from the other heroes, we now get the church of the 3 heroes as a villain.

We get to see how Naofumi's group's inability to level up has hurt them, but that their hard work in gaining skills has paid off.

This series remains outstanding and a lot of fun.
                          My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                          1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                          2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                          3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 19

The heroes have gathered.

It took a massive conspiracy to conquer by the church, but the four heroes are finally on the same page as Fitoria wanted. The pope wields a weapon that can replace the heroes, but since it requires a lot of mana that it's no wonder why so many followers came with him. As it turns out, Itsuki and Ren were suspicious about the church and they were led to investigating what was set up to be a fake shrine, and they were saved by the queen's spies. And then Motoyasu finally came to his senses, though it took the fact that the church was a greater evil than Naofumi to finally convince him. It wasn't easy but the four heroes are now on the same page, and they will have to with the Pope's cathedral trap there at the end.

Comment

Re: Episode 19

I do have to laugh at the characters having that whole discussion with the Pope right there, gathering more energy to fire at them. I guess they needed to hash that shit out before they could effectively work together, but it's still hilarious to do it all with the enemy attacking.
                              My Top Anime | Manga
                              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                              My FP Reviews | Twitter
                              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
                                Re: Episode 19

I do have to laugh at the characters having that whole discussion with the Pope right there, gathering more energy to fire at them. I guess they needed to hash that shit out before they could effectively work together, but it's still hilarious to do it all with the enemy attacking.
                                BUT unlike an American show which wouldn't comment on it this show lightshaded it AND even worked that pause into the way the fight worked as it gave the pope enough time to save up manna.

Man this show just gets better and better and Animenewsnetwork just looks dumber and dumber for hating it as much as they do. EVEN the first queen is was getting played! I have watched anime for a long long time since the 90s and I admit I wasn't thinking heavily about this show but even if I was and given the churches involvement I still don't think I would have seen them attempting a coup over the royal family and using the princess to do it.

I mean just wow.

The themes of the show come into fruition here also we see the shield hero elucidate the difference between trust and blind belief - and that leads to the one thing that didn't work for me.

The church followers here were phased a bit when they heard the queen was coming but they were swayed back by the pope a little too easily. What did the rest of you think about this part?

Still man it will be so great to see the pope get his - and they made it look like this alone wasn't going to take care of everything the other three heroes show their still lack of maturity by acting like all is forgiven now we should make up immediately while the shield hero reasonably is like no. He of course still has some growing up to do himself - which makes me wonder if we may not be going to a C.S. Lewis type thing were they were actually brought into this world to save it yes - but also to grow up themselves in ways they wouldn't have otherwise.

Animation is still also top notch. The cathedral at the end was incredibly well done and well designed.

AND we still haven't gotten to actually WHAT ARE THE WAVES? For what looked like a simple isekei show ... this has many layers that are slowly peeling back.

THIS is how you do anime.

Questions for others watching:
                                1. What is the difference you think between saving the world and saving its people? My thoughts are that fighting off the waves saves the world but to save the people you have to make it so each country works together remove the racism among them - then perhaps they won't NEED the heroes again in the future?

2. WHY was the queen hiding all this time and letting the king basically run things?

3. If as the filo queen said the waves are appearing in other countries also - why are those countries not reaching out to the heroes for help?

4. Did the massive turn of the church work for you? Somewhat came off like the massive turn against the Jedi for me in prequals - well no was built up more than that was but do wish we had a little more Devil of the shield from the beginning...I mean if they hate the shield hero why did they summon him? Why not summon only three? Might have worked better if we had a little more hint about the church planning something from the beginning I don't know....

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X