Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kijakusai View Post
    Re: Episode 3

Hmm...no offence, but I have not seen a sage-ish notion like that in the Japanese text of The Rising of the Shield Hero.
    There are parts where characters talk about the reason why the Shield Hero is persecuted in The Rising of the Shield Hero novel in the original, but it is pieces of just-like-an-expositor's-speaking-to-the-readers text of weak explanation spoken by cardboard characters in light-novelese/poor Japanese.
    However, if you are satisfied with what Aneko Yusagi wrote, it is fine with me. ^_^
    Heh, well, I'm going by what I've seen in the English translations of the manga, so..... ^_^;;

Spoiler ->Which makes it clear that there are many true believers of the Church of the Three Heroes, who all believe from top to bottom that the Shield Hero is just excrement; it's pretty plain that they genuinely believe that, and don't consider that the SH will have any impact on their world if they kill him.

And as I've inferred, I'm dealing with a source once removed, plus translation, so I defer to your take on the original source material. ^_^

My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
    1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
    2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
    3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 4

When a slave is not a slave.

And that bitch Myne strikes again as she manipulates the situation to go against Naofumi once again. As it turns out, she is a princess, so it's no wonder why the king wouldn't listen to any accusations against her. Not only did she force Naofumi into accepting a duel against Motoyasu that he had no business of being in, but she cheated so that he would lose. It all started because Motoyasu thought that having a slave was unbecoming of a hero. However, this time the other two heroes saw it and came to his defense, all while Raphtalia lets everybody know that she's a slave in name only and she was never treated like one. The first half certainly made my blood boil knowing just how hated Myne is twisting the truth to bring him down and trying to silence Raphtalia, but everything changed in the second half as this time he has people standing up for him in Raphtalia, slave or not, and the other two heroes knowing full well that they are going to need someone like him to protect this land.
      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Haru, My Roommate is a Cat
      Watching: And Yet the Town Moves, Super Sonico, Hayate the Combat Butler season 2, Toonami Stuff
      Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 4

It's nice to see that the other heroes are reasonable enough to side with Naofumi when it makes sense. Some catharsis by the end of this episode.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 4

From the depths of despair, to, finally, a ray of sunshine.

Naofumi is at the celebratory banquet for beating the first wave, totally not enjoying it as the other heroes are praised while he's still dismissed and insulted, knights whose ass he saved brag about how wonderful they were, and food still has no taste for him. He's only there for the reward. Raphtalia, however, is enjoying all the great food.

But, as Elton John said, the Bitch is back, and Myne easily manipulates the Spear Hero, Motoyasu, into dueling Naofumi to free Raphtalia. Naofumi refuses, but the king orders it. Naofumi is winning, until Myne cheats, hitting him with magic, setting him up for a finishing blow from Motoyasu. And so, Raphtalia is free, with Myne gloating that he no longer has anyone to fight for him. But it gets worse as it's revealed that Myne is a princess, the King's daughter, and as Naofumi realizes how badly he's been framed, again, with an arena filled with nobles who won't admit to the cheating, he sinks into his worst despair yet, unlocking a curse series shield, which doesn't get used this time.

And just when everything looks down for him, as Motoyasu prepares to accept Raphtalia's gratitude with the slave seal removed for freeing Rpahtalia, Racoon Girl takes center stage, slapping Motoyasu, and comforting, despite his opposition, Naofumi. We also discover that the 2 other heroes, whatever their issues, aren't going to turn a blind eye to cheating, and confront Motoyasu about it.

And, finally, Raphtalia breaks through Naofumi's barriers, figuratively returning his soul to him. The result is that at the end, Naofumi's sense of taste has finally returned.

We also learn that due to his trauma, Naofumi had not been seeing Raphtalia as she matured, but only as the kid she was when he first bought her. He's now able to see her at her present maturity, and we learn that one (perhaps the major) reason humans fear/hate demi-humans is that as demi-humans level, their bodies strengthen and mature (seemingly also mentally mature, if Raphtalia is an indication).

This was a very important episode, as Naofumi is finally able to live again. That's not to say his troubles are all past him, or that his trauma won't resurface, but he's finally in a place where he's at least living again.

Raphtalia is the star of the show, and vaults to the front as "Best Girl" for the season (and for such a small season, there are a lot of good contenders right now). Just a great episode in a great series.
          My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
          1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
          2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and

Comment

Episode 5

Along for the ride.

With his reward for the Wave that he almost was cheated out of, he buys a lottery egg that ends up hatching into a chocobo. And Naofumi is called in yet again to take part in another rigged contest as Motoyasu has been installed as the lord of the village that was saved from the Wave, and he is levying an unfair task by racing him on his chocobo. Once again, Malty cheats by casting magic that digs holes, but this time Naofumi overcomes them to win, and a group of spies defends him this time when Malty accused him of cheating. So Naofumi has a wagon to become a trader, which is perfect for him, and now that chocobo has transformed into a girl overnight. Great to see that Naofumi continues to develop as now he has even more guys supporting him, first with Ren and Itsuki who saw Malty cheating in that fight, those spies that knew that it was impossible for Naofumi could cast those spells, and now Filo as she has transformed into a girl to become Naofumi's travel companion.
            Watching: And Yet the Town Moves, Super Sonico, Hayate the Combat Butler season 2, Toonami Stuff
            The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 5

Definitely good to see Ren and Itsuki continuing to take the side of reason. Motoyasu often seems well-meaning but easily manipulated by Malty. Near the end it seemed like he was going back to being a little more antagonistic, but it also shifted to a somewhat comical tone that paints him as more of a foil or at least a rival.

I was just wondering when we were finally going to meet the winged girl. I assumed she was simply able to transform into a bird with magic from the OP, but nope, she's a Chocobo Pokemon who eventually transforms into that little angel-looking girl. I'm curious to learn more about all that, but we already got her from an egg to a chick to a Chocobo to a big bird to a girl in one episode.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 6

Pulling her weight.

And Filo is now Naofumi's slave, though once again in his case it's in name only. Her chocobo form is quite useful as she can haul the wagon, get Naofumi someplace quickly, and fight some bandits to take their loot. And as a girl she's able to speak her mind going to show that she's exactly what Naofumi needs as he goes on his adventure as a trader that leads him into a cave where her screeching ability was the key to turning the tide in a battle against that monster with a snake for a tail. Pretty nice way to fit Filo into the group.

Comment

Re: Episode 6

Another nice episode. This is not filler, it's world building. Filo is a lot of fun, and Raphtalia's jealousy is also fun to watch, although it soon changes into acceptance of Filo as one of their "family". This episode is a lot of fun, with some nice action. We also see that Naofumi can be a bit ruthless as we see with his treatment of the bandits. I'm glad I'm not waiting, but this is going to be an even better binge watch than weekly watch, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by General Hentai View Post
                    Heh, well, I'm going by what I've seen in the English translations of the manga, so..... ^_^;;

Spoiler ->Which makes it clear that there are many true believers of the Church of the Three Heroes, who all believe from top to bottom that the Shield Hero is just excrement; it's pretty plain that they genuinely believe that, and don't consider that the SH will have any impact on their world if they kill him.

And as I've inferred, I'm dealing with a source once removed, plus translation, so I defer to your take on the original source material. ^_^
                    Thank you for the input, General. ^_^
                    I have skimmed several volumes of the manga version of The Rising of the Shield Hero in the original, but I'm sorry to say this, I am still under the impression that the reason why the Shield Hero is persecuted despite his being a yusha (hero in a sword-and-sorcery story) is rather weak and so-called gotsugoshugi ('expedient', but it is difficult to translate this Japanese term, which is often used in criticisms of popular fiction, into English). ^_^; Perhaps what you have summed up appear in later volumes, and Aiya Kyu (the manga-ka) might depict that point better than the novelist.
                    And of course, if you are satisfied with what the manga version says and you also like the anime version, again it is fine with me. ^_^
                    Again, thank you for the response. ^_^

Comment

Episode 7

Planting the seeds of success.

More sidequests here as Naofumi's party is helping clean up the mess left by Motoyasu after he simply too that miracle seed as the be-all, end-all for a village's famine problems not realizing that it grows way too quickly that it becomes a monster. But just leave it to Naofumi to defeat it and create new seeds so that it won't grow out of control, all while he made quite a lot of moolah with his harvest. And then it's off to the hot springs where he's bathing with Filo given his father-daughter relationship with her. That night, Raphtalia and Filo go searching for a crystal, and end up slaughtering a wild boar instead that fetched a good price seeing that this town uses a slain boar for a ritual. Naofumi had to scrape by early, but now that he has some trusted companions that he's making it big on his own. It looks like things will get serious again next time as it is probably going to focus on that curse that was almost activated when Raphtalia's slave contract was forcefully deactivated.

Comment

Episode 8

Protect him from this curse.

Naofumi is pushed to the edge once again and nearly gives in to the curse, this time going further than the last time it threatened to activate. But in the end, Raphtalia calmed him down even though it came at a cost. This all started when Filo was going off on her own to defeat it, and had Naofumi so worried after what appeared to be blood actually was that red fruit she was eating before battle. And instead of being swallowed up, she defeated that zombie dragon from the inside. Everybody sure does have each other's backs as Raphtalia got cursed herself so that Naofumi wouldn't, and he's doing everything he can to cure her. Next time, its off to meet the other princess.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                          Episode 8

Protect him from this curse.

Naofumi is pushed to the edge once again and nearly gives in to the curse, this time going further than the last time it threatened to activate. But in the end, Raphtalia calmed him down even though it came at a cost. This all started when Filo was going off on her own to defeat it, and had Naofumi so worried after what appeared to be blood actually was that red fruit she was eating before battle. And instead of being swallowed up, she defeated that zombie dragon from the inside. Everybody sure does have each other's backs as Raphtalia got cursed herself so that Naofumi wouldn't, and he's doing everything he can to cure her. Next time, its off to meet the other princess.
                          Re: Episode 8

Cleanup, Zombie Dragon, Aisle 15.

Another nice bit of worldbuilding and adventure. We finally get the curse shield in action, but only for a bit, as both Naofumi and Raphtalia freak out in believing that Filo has been eaten by the Zombie Dragon. Which was a dragon killed by the sword hero, who didn't do cleanup duty, resulting in a plague coming from where the dragon lay...and then becoming a Zombie just as Naofumi and company arrived.

But, once again, Raphtalia manages to soothe the savage beast, but pays a heavy price from the curse. Plus Filo ate her way out of the dragon, killing it. Now its off to get super pure holy water and it looks like the other princess, Melty, will get involved as well.

Comment

Episode 9

Little sister knows best.

Here comes Melty, who Naofumi happened to stumble upon as she loves those chocobos, and because of that she's best friends with Filo, and she even slept in her feathers. As it turns out, she's a princess and the younger sister of Myne, but she's far more fit to succeed the thrown than Myne will ever be. Case in point, Motoyasu picked a fight against Naofumi in the middle of town, and while Melty is fully aware of the collateral damage it causes, Myne ordered it as an official fight (and without Naofumi's approval, no less, as such things need to be agreed upon by both combatants). But then Filo saved the day as Motoyasu got what was coming to him for calling this chocobo a fat bird. That was great to see Motoyasu get his ass kicked by Filo, all while Melty shows just how messed up Myne is as she's doing a lot of backstabbing when she should be helping the adventurers do their jobs.

Comment

Episode 10

Time for an upgrade.

Naofumi just continues to be distrustful of others, and of course the king is a large reason why and the queen is trying to do something about that seeing that she has Melty doing something she would have done had it not been for the tight security. Not to mention, he has Ake buy a trinket off of him in order to join his party, and he tells Ren and Itsuki just how pissed off he is that he had to clean up the mess they made after they took a job request. And of course, the king is at it again ordering those priestesses not to upgrade any of Naofumi's allies. Of course, Naofumi continues to find ways to get stronger, first by haggling for a new weapon for Filo, and then by letting Ren and Itsuki know to be more mindful of their job requests seeing that because of what happened afterwards that they didn't get paid for them. And Naofumi reverses course and gives Ake that trinket for free. Pretty much, this is all setup for the second wave as the party will need to be as strong as they can get.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X