X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2019] W'z Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ウィズ

A show about an internet sensation who uploads videos of himself being a DJ, and he sees some otherworldly thing from it.

Airs: Saturday, January 5, 2018

Studio: GoHands

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    HIDIVE

Yukiya, who is "probably" 14 years old, spends his time DJ-ing alone. Due to his father's influence, he's listened to house music since he was young, and he uploads videos online. He wants to convey something to someone. He wants to be recognized, and become important. But getting hurt is scary. One day, while trying to get more views, he does something that can't be undone. And he sees a live broadcast from "that world." Yukiya believes he can't do anything alone, but that he could accomplish something if he were doing it together with someone else.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Hand in hand.

This show lets everybody know that these are the same guys who did Hand Shakers, which of course everybody is aware is absolutely atrocious. Hand shaking is front and center here in this episode as partners are holding hands to fight each other, and it starts out like K does with a teaser, and then the main story where Yukiya gets himself involved in something bad, and in this case he's trying to gain viewers for his DJ-ing that ends up with him being hunted down by these hand shaking duos. Pretty ominous start here, and while I wasn't overly impressed seeing that not much is given away here, at least it's better than Hand Shakers in that nothing cringeworthy has happened, yet.

So as usual, this show is on trial period and I'll make a decision upon the end of it, or some point before if it is clear which direction I want to go with it.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

He's got a target on his back.

Wow, I didn't realize that this was a sequel to Hand Shakers. Aside from the fact that I didn't watch all of Hand Shakers, it took me for quite a surprise to find out that this was in fact happening ten years after that show. It would not have been obvious seeing that the title is completely different (it's called W'z and not something like Hand Shakers W), the characters are different, it seems to be about something that isn't about holding hands, and of course Sentai got this instead of Crunchyroll. So it's back to that room where Tazuna learned about his power, and this time it's a grown-up Koyori telling Yukiya about what W'z is. Just boring info dumping here, and not much exciting stuff.

So with that, this show is the first drop of the season. I came here expecting to see something significantly better than Hand Shakers, only to be disappointed to find out that it's a sequel to a show I didn't finish. Knowing that fact, there's just no reason to keep on going.

Comment

Episode 3 and Episode 4

If anything, this show being a sequel to Hand Shakers is part of the reason I picked it up. Yeah, I actually finished the first season. Also this show is still about hand holding, just in a different way. Also they seem to be developing the plot a bit more than the first season. Like they're trying to take the show more seriously now.

In any case, it's clear Haruka the blue haired girl is the true partner. The show just needs to finalize that fact already. Hopefully they can do it around episode 5 or 6 as opposed to episode 12. That would be too long a wait.

Chizuru is still best girl even after the time skip between series.

The scariest part about watching 1-End of Handshakers and 1-4 of Wz is that I'm growing a bit too used to the animation/art.

"So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
        Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine
        Working...
        X