X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2019] Boogiepop and Others Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ブギーポップは笑わない

A remake of the Boogiepop Phantom anime that focuses specifically on the Boogiepop and Others novel. This show is a mystery thriller where there's a cloaked person who is out to fight the bad guys in silence, thus becoming an urban legend.

Airs: Friday, January 4, 2018

Studio: Madhouse

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

There is an urban legend that tells of a shinigami that can release people from the pain they are suffering. This "Angel of Death" has a name?Boogiepop. And the legends are true. Boogiepop is real. When a rash of disappearances involving female students breaks out at Shinyo Academy, the police and faculty assume they just have a bunch of runaways on their hands. Yet some students know better. Something mysterious and foul is afoot. Is it Boogiepop or something even more sinister...?

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Ellenoir Seiran, Endro~!
    Watching: Machiavellism, La Verite, Shining Hearts, Buso Renkin, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

This world is filled with mistakes.

So it begins with introductions as Touka reveals that she is the cloaked figure Boogiepop, and she's out to solve problems wherever they might happen. And then she lets Takeda know that she didn't do anything to defeat the monster. And the end there is where things really begin with Touka meeting Suema and Nagi, who are partners in solving these mysterious cases going on. While I did watch the original Boogiepop Phantom series, I'm reminded why it was a struggle to get through it as this show is just so hard to understand. But that is what makes this show stand out in that there is so much mystery that just isn't easily explained.

Now onto episode 2 that also aired today.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

It's a man eat man world.

This episode focuses on Nagi as she's carrying on her late father's work as a writer, and she's determined to bring justice to those who have been harmed by the Manticore, who has killed Yurihara and has taken her identity. And then there's Saotome working in cahoots with the Manticore as he's definitely up to no good. Pretty much, this episode is all about Nagi as she's a hard-working girl who sees to it that these monsters are brought down.

So as usual, the trial period rules apply. Pretty interesting start here, and I'm willing to give it a chance despite being rather lukewarm towards the original Boogiepop Phantom series. As this is a remake that it is absolutely not necessary to watch Boogiepop Phantom beforehand.

Comment

The first two episodes turned out pretty well. I really like the mood the show has captured, and it's been doing a decent job telling the story.
        As someone whose read the novel though, there have been a few unfortunate omissions, such as Akio Kimura's entire character not being present...

I do kind of worry for first-time viewers though, because the anime's approach feels a lot less structured than the novels, which had clearly defined chapters for each character's POV. With the anime going back and forth between some stories, it might be easy for some viewers to confuse the order of events... I hope the next episode manages to wrap things up understandably though, so anime-only viewers will be able to understand things...

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
        And then she lets Takeda know that she didn't do anything to defeat the monster.
        Actually this isn't the case. Boogiepop told him that the danger has passed, basically that it's been taken care of.
        The end of Episode 1 was the end, after the Manticore problem had been resolved, with Takeda not knowing anything.
        Starting with Episode 2, we began to see other character's points of view of what happened at that time, piecing together the big picture of everything that happened which Takeda was unaware of.

Comment

I'm not impressed, especially for not only a Madhouse production, but one by the One Punch Man staff. These two episodes were probably enough for me.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 3

Cutthroat competition.

And Saotome is slitting throats, all while there's a Manticore on the loose that has assumed Nagi's identity, but that guy was strangled and defeated with a shot by Shiro's arrow. Pretty brutal that scene got, but above all a lot just doesn't make sense as there's death and destruction, but connecting the dots has just hasn't been easy to do leaving me at a loss.

So I guess I'll give it one more episode, but this almost certainly will get cut as this show has been so hard to understand, and from the look of things Madhouse dropped the ball with the adaptation omitting some critical parts in the LNs from what I have been hearing.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
              Episode 3

Cutthroat competition.

And Saotome is slitting throats, all while there's a Manticore on the loose that has assumed Nagi's identity, but that guy was strangled and defeated with a shot by Shiro's arrow. Pretty brutal that scene got, but above all a lot just doesn't make sense as there's death and destruction, but connecting the dots has just hasn't been easy to do leaving me at a loss.

So I guess I'll give it one more episode, but this almost certainly will get cut as this show has been so hard to understand, and from the look of things Madhouse dropped the ball with the adaptation omitting some critical parts in the LNs from what I have been hearing.
              You seem to have misunderstood a lot of episode 3...
              The Manticore never took on the guise of Nagi, though it threatened to once in this episode. (the Manticore always had the appearance of the student Minako Yurihara, just like last episode)
              When Echoes returned to the sky, Masaomi was vaporized in the process, trying to protect the Manticore. After that, Boogiepop then strangled the Manticore, which was then killed by Shiro's arrow.
              The Manticore is pretty much dead, and this episode ended the story arc.

I'm sorry to hear that the series has been difficult to follow for you. It's unfortunate that the pacing has been a bit too fast for some to keep up, but I think now that the whole story has been told, you might get a better grasp of what happened if you rewatch the first three episodes together.

If you do plan to watch the next episode, which should start the story of VS Imaginator, I think it'll likely be easier to follow, since the story is more straightforward and easier to adapt to anime than the first book. So if you do enjoy the next episode, I think you can keep going.

Comment

Episode 4

Just their imagination?

It's onto the Imaginators arc as they involve people whose consciousness can be projected elsewhere outside the main body, just like with Suiko there at the beginning as she fell to her death, as well as appeared in front of Boogiepop while she was falling. Asukai-sensei also meets one in his former student Imazaki as she had turned to drugs before killing herself in front of him. The Imaginators are quite mysterious to say the least, and it remains to be seen just how they are such a big threat to humanity as the only thing to go on is what Suiko said about wanting the world to be shaped to how they want it.

So I guess I'll keep going for now and at least finish this arc before making a final decision as while the first arc was confusing and poorly-adapted, this one is less confusing and more intriguing.

Comment

Episode 4 was really good!
                  I was excited to see how they'd portray Asukai, and he's come across quite fittingly. Got a few Light Yagami vibes from his face at the end, lol.
                  A lot of wild stuff will be happening this arc, and this is just the beginning.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine
                  Working...
                  X