Widgets Magazine

Currently Watching (Fall 2018 Edition)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2018] Currently Watching (Fall 2018 Edition)

Widgets Magazine
    The summer has come and gone, and with temperatures dropping, that means it's time for a new season, and as such a new one of these threads. Summer was a pretty disappointing season that was one of the weakest seasons in awhile, but it's now time for a brand new season, and hopefully it will be amazing as usually fall seasons have the strongest lineup.

The link to the Summer 2018 Edition
    Fall 2018 Anime Chart
    Fall 2018 Anime Lineup Thread

Note
    - Change the title of your post to reflect the contents.
    - Do not use the Reply to Thread button; instead, click quote on the post you wish to reply to, or on this post if you're starting a new subthread.
    - Edit down the quoted section to the relevant bits, nobody needs to read someone's epic list of watched stuff twice.
    - Be nice to one another.
    - Please discuss only what you are watching this season in this thread. Stuff watched during other seasons should be discussed in their respective threads.

Also, I'd like to add the following. The Currently Watching Thread is mainly meant for a general overview of how you're currently feeling about shows. It is not supposed to be a replacement for actual discussion threads. Try to keep heavier discussion (if possible) in the more specific discussion threads.

In addition, try to be careful of spoilers here. It's one thing if it's properly tagged and such. However, I don't want people to have to worry about someone randomly posting "Wow, X died in episode 17 of Y". Just a randomly made up example, but you get the idea.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Mai Sakurajima, Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
    Watching: Ghost Hunt, Seraph S2, AOT S2, DB Super, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Simulcast Interest Levels for Fall 2018

As usual, I am starting things off with my simulcast interest list. Once again, here are the tiers for how likely I will watch certain shows this season:
    • IN: It's on the watchlist no matter what. This mostly applies to continuing shows and sequels.
    • PROBABLE: I'm checking out, and it has a very good chance of making the cut. I have dropped shows in this category in the past, so it's not automatic.
    • QUESTIONABLE: I'm checking out, and impressions will dictate its fate. Pretty much, it's for shows I have moderate interest in at the beginning.
    • DOUBTFUL: I may or may not check it out, and if I do, it must really impress me in order to make the cut.
    • OUT: I'm not bothering with it at all.
    So it's onto assessment. This season is unusual in that there are shows starting as early as September (and in the case of RErideD, it's four episodes ahead of the Japanese broadcast), all while there are two late-starting shows whose streaming rights are still to be determined. And there's Index III whose status is still up in the air as for some reason, Funimation hasn't announced it and there's no reason to believe that somebody else is getting it. So for these shows, I'm assuming that they end up with Crunchyroll, HIDIVE, or Amazon as those three places all do simulcasts, but not Netflix. As usual, I have the shows with three-letter codes to let everybody know what I'm watching in my sig.

IN
    [BNF] Banana Fish (continuing)
    [GKY] Golden Kamuy (continuing)
    [TGL-R] Tokyo Ghoul:re (continuing)
    [FTL-3] Fairy Tail Final Season
    [SAO-3] Sword Art Online: Alicization

PROBABLE
    [TOA-I3] A Certain Magical Index III
    [DDK] Double Decker! Doug and Kirill
    [GSY] Goblin Slayer
    [IRD] Iroduku: The World in Colors
    [MLA] Operation Hangyakusei: Million Arthur
    [SBY] Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
    [TSL] That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime

QUESTIONABLE
    [AYL] Anima Yell!
    [MBZ] As Miss Beelzebub Likes It
    [SUA] Between the Sky and Sea
    [BIY] Bloom Into You
    [JLT] Boarding School Juliet
    [CQK] Karakuri Circus
    [MVN] Ms. Vampire Who Lives in My Neighborhood
    [OII] Ore ga Suki nano wa Imouto dakedo Imouto ja Nai.
    [RSY] Release the Spyce
    [RRD] RErideD
    [KTF] Run with the Wind
    [S4G] SSSS.Gridman
    [TNE] Tsurune
    [ULS] Ulysses: Jeanne d'Arc and the Alchemic Knight
    [UZM] UzaMaid!
    [XYS] Xuan Yuan Sword Luminary
    [ZLS] Zombie Land Saga
    [JSY] Jingai-san no Yome
    [VFX] Voice of Fox

DOUBTFUL
    [BMU] Bakumatsu
    [CCP] Conception
    [DO1] Dakaichi
    [SGB-G] Gakuen Basara
    [AKS] The Girl in Twilight
    [HMZ] Hinomaru Sumo
    [ING] Ingress
    [RAD] Radiant
    [HMH] Himote House
    [IKR] I'm Glad I Could Keep on Running
    [IDM-SMM] The Idolmaster Side M Mini
    [MCS] Merc Storia
    [OBS] Otona no Bouguya-san
    [GSH] Skull-faced Bookkeeper Honda-san

OUT
    Ace Attorney season 2
    Bakutsuri Bar Hunter
    Devidol!
    Fist of the Blue Sky: Regenesis Season 2
    Gurazeni season 2
    Hey, Your Cat Ears are Showing
    Hoshi no Shima no Nyanko
    Inazuma 11: Orion no Kokouin
    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind
    Okoshiyasu, Chitose-chan
    Oshiete, Mahou no Pendulum
    Pingu in the City
    Senrak Kagura: Shinovi Master
    Shuudengo, Capsule Hotel de, Joushi ni Binetsu Utawaru Yoru.​​​​​​
    Sono Toki, Kanojo wa.
    Space Battleship Tiramisu II

Given how big this season is, I probably will be going well over my preset limit of 20 shows.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Mai Sakurajima, Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
    Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Buckeye's Fall 2018 Anime Viewership Plan

As I do every season, I outline a plan for shows that I plan on watching this season. As always, this is merely tentative as there will always be shows on the list I won't get to, and shows not on this list that I end up watching. This is all post-simulcast stuff as I keep it separate from the simulcast shows. I have been quite disorganized lately in regards to this, but nevertheless I have a bucket list down. Now, I just need to watch through as much as I can get to.

^ indicates shows being rewatched

From the Beginning
      ^Aria the Animation
      ^Attack on Titan season 2
      ^Granblue Fantasy
      ^My Hero Academia season 2
      ^Re:Zero
      Action Heroine Cheer Fruits
      Aggretsuko
      The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. season 2
      Forest of Piano
      Hetalia: The Beautiful World
      Hetalia: The World Twinkle
      JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
      Legend of the Galactic Heroes
      Lost Song
      Orenchi no Furo Jijo
      Sword Gai II
      Ushio and Tora

Continuing Shows
      ^Seraph of the End (from episode 13)
      ^Tales of Zestiria the X (from episode 13)
      Dragon Ball Super (from episode 42)
      Future Card Buddyfight X (from episode 38)
      Gintama (from episode 27)
      Hunter x Hunter (from episode 112)
      Naruto Shippuden (from episode 215)
      Rurouni Kenshin (from episode 63)

I subscribed to Netflix in September, so I'm prioritizing getting through those shows first. And then my plan is to subscribe again in November or December when Ingress starts coming out, but with enough time to watch the second half of Unit Pandora

So to start off the fall season, Sword Gai II is the first things I completed.

Comment

Seeing that there are two shows that are going to be late to start that it's going to be awhile before I do my first impressions. In the meantime, here's an informal version. As usual, I set my list capping it at 20 atandard-length shows with up to two more should I have a hard time deciding on a few borderline shows, but given the extreme differences in the premiere dates (RErideD will have aired eight episodes before Million Arthur airs its first, for example) and me going simuldub for two shows that I'm going to be more willing to take in shows than usual.

So let's start with the locks as Banana Fish is continuing, Tokyo Ghoul:re and Golden Kamuy are returning from breaks for the second half of their split cour series, and the sequels for Sword Art Online, A Certain Magical Index, and Fairy Tail are also in. In the case of Index and Fairy Tail, my plan is to wait for the simuldubs for those shows as that's how I have been watching those shows, but I'll follow the first arc of both shows as they come out in Japan before waiting and then switching to the dubcast calendar for those. So that's six shows in through continuing shows and sequels.

Now, the shows that have locked their spots essentially from the get-go. That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, Bunny Girl Senpai, Iroduku, Goblin Slayer, and Double Decker didn't take long to lock its spot, while I had to make a quick decision on RErideD because I'm already past the extended trial period, and while that show has lots of issues, I am deeply intrigued by the mystery aspect of this show. So adding those six shows brings the total up to 12 slots being occupied.

And thus, the field for the remaining 8-10 spots on my watchlist are Xuan Yuan Sword, Run With the Wind, As Miss Beelzebub Likes, Zombie Land Saga, Karakuri Circus, Ms. Vampire Who Lives in My Neighborhood, Uzamaid!, Boarding School Juliet, SSSS.Gridman, Release the Spyce, Ulysses, Anima Yell!, and the two shows yet to begin airing in Tsurune and Million Arthur. In all, that's 14 shows total, and a few of them are just barely hanging on and with the way things are going, Release the Spyce, Anima Yell!, and Zombie Land Saga are likely casualties, while Karakuri Circus, Uzamaid!, and Boarding School Juliet are in great position. I can't say anything about Tsurune and Million Arthur as there's currently no indication one way or the other if anybody other than Netflix will get them.

As for the shows that are easy drops, Girl in Twilight, Conception, My Sister My Writer, Between the Sky and Sea, Merc Storia, Bakumatsu, Gakuen Basara, Hinomaru Sumo, Dakaichi, and Radiant all quickly fell out of favor for me. And then there's Ingress that I might get to later, but for now it's off the list because it won't become legally available until later. So that's what is going on with my watchlist at the moment as I prepare my formal version of first impressions.

Lastly, there are the shorts and while there were plenty in the summer, not so much this season. It's two three-minute shorts with Side M Mini and Jingai-san no Yome, and three with half-length episodes in Voice of Fox, Honda-san, and Himote House. My plan on that end is to watch Jingai-san and one of the three half-length shorts seeing that I need to cut back somewhere, and with this being a weaker than usual season for short stuff that I'm placing that limit.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine
        Working...
        X