Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode 11

He is Gridman.

Yuta is still alive after getting stabbed, but when he wakes up, it's actually Gridman that everybody is talking to. It's a good thing they have Anti on their side, but he's not going to beat everybody by himself as strong as he is. Quite a nice turnaround that was as the situation is really dire. In the meantime, Rika continues to reach out to Akane, but then Alexis comes and unleashes an ultimate weapon out of her. That's Trigger for you as the situation gets extremely dire towards the end before willpower wins out in the end.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 12 (Finale)

Somebody, wake her up.

As expected, it was Alexis taking advantage of Akane's vulnerable heart that led to all this as he was hiding behind the shadows waiting for the right opportunity to strike. He's quite a formidable foe, but that's nothing that can't be fixed by Gridman's fixer beam. So with Alexis captured, the world is back to what it was before Akane rewrote it, and Rikka is quite the pal there giving a gift there to Akane and letting her know that she has her support after everything that happened. And it ends with a live-action scene of a girl waking up from bed, which is a nice way to pay homage to Gridman's live action roots. That was an impressive fight there seeing Gridman's true form kicking ass and saving the day.

Overall, this show pretty much follows the formula of a typical Trigger show with the first half being a monster-of-the-week segment, and the second half being extreme chaos before the day is saved. The show stumbled at the beginning with a lot of blandness and a story that just didn't make much sense that will test one's patience. But once the truth is revealed midway through, this show greatly improves as things flow much better and character development really takes off. So to sum things up, this show is great with the action, the characters, the drama, and the concept, while on the flipside, the slow pacing and plot construction that are prevalent in the first half that keep this from being in elite company. In all, it's another highly entertaining show from Trigger as they continue to do great things.

MAL Rating:
      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
      Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
      Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re Episode 12

The first third of the series was decent mostly for Akane being evil and transformers references. The second third was more or less the middle. However the final part was great. Be it the Rikka and Akane moments or OG Gridman using Fixer beam. Could have used a stronger start maybe, but over all a good experience.
        "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
        Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Re: Series & Episode 12 (Finale)

Not my cup of tea.

I've never been that into giant robot shows that are giant robot shows. My likes have been a bit more scattershot for those that can arguably be considered that genre: Macross, Tenchi Muyo War on Geminar, Linebarrles of Iron and others.

So I went into this knowing it might not be my cup of tea, and it wasn't. It wasn't bad, but it just never hit the stride for me. The Finale was....a lot of WTF, and I felt cheated by not seeing Hibiki's reactions upon waking up, or ever finding out what the pre-Episode 1 relationship was between Rikka and Hibiki. The girl waking up in the real world at the end, the implication due to the passholder in her room that she's Akane, was just too cutesy for me.

Judging by the comments, both here and elsewhere, I can see that there are those who agree with me, and those for whom the mileage varies greatly. Giant Robo fans, especially old school fans are definitely going to get more out of this than I did.

The best parts of the show were Akane, in all of her forms, seeming normalacy, madness, insanity, despair and friendship, and Rikka, the glue that held the show together. But, of course there is the entire impossibility of this show that bothers me. No, not Akane being a god, hyper agents, giant robots, kaiju or any of the other amazingly sci-fi events and action of the series...

No, I'm talking about two high school girls, Akane and Rikka, wearing skirts as short as they did, with never a hint of a panty flash.

C+ with the acknowledgment that this show doesn't trend for me at all, despite the core cast being likeable.
          My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
          1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
          2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
          3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine
          Working...
          X