X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2018] SSSS.Gridman Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    SSSS.GRIDMAN

A Trigger show about a boy with amnesia who can transform into a superhero to save the world.

Airs: Saturday, October 6, 2018

Studio: A-1 Pictures

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Yuta Hibiki can?t remember who he is, and now he?s seeing and hearing things that others don?t! A voice from an old computer tells him to remember his calling, and he sees a massive, unmoving creature in the distance. Nothing?s making sense?until the behemoth springs to life! Suddenly, Yuta is pulled into the digital world, reappearing in the real one as the colossal hero?Gridman!

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rimuru, That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
    Watching: Hero Mask, Granblue Fantasy, Tales of Zestiria, Aria, DB Super, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, CQK, BIY, RRD, UZM, KTF, JUL, S4G, MBZ, MVN, XYS, ZLS, GSH, JSY
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Seeing ain't believing.

So it begins with Yuta seeing Gridman through the screen of a dinosaur, and nobody else can see him. But then a kaiju attacks the city and Yuta is called to save the day as he transforms into that giant robot to save the day. And then he somehow the school that was decimated by that kaiju ends up back to what it was before the attack. Lots of questions were raised there at the end as there are lots of things that aren't what they seem. Not much happened in the first half, but Trigger does it again with their signature style with the action scenes. I certainly think it will be entertaining moving forward.

As usual, the trial rules apply, and seeing that Funimation is doing same day simulcast (rumor on the street is that the show's production is already finished) that it's something to look forward to. But yeah, this show still has to pass my screening test.
    Watching: Hero Mask, Granblue Fantasy, Tales of Zestiria, Aria, DB Super, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, CQK, BIY, RRD, UZM, KTF, JUL, S4G, MBZ, MVN, XYS, ZLS, GSH, JSY
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Well, that was crystal clear. Yeah, right. So many mysteries going on but Trigger style is usually a nice starting point, so we'll see. Not hooked completely, but intrigued.
      My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
      1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
      2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
      3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 2

Gridman who?

After that burning question left from the end of the previous episode, there are still no answers to be found as nobody knows about Gridman and kaiju, and the place is as if nothing happened. But of course, Yuta remembers everything and is searching for answers. And then comes Samurai Calibur, who is not only an alien, but a weapon as Gridman needed him to turn into a weapon to defeat that kaiju. Then there is Akane as she apparently is the one summoning those kaijus from her apartment that's full of kaiju figures. Lots of stuff just doesn't make sense here, but that's a big part of the appeal in this show. I'm curious to see what Akane's deal is in all this, and the truth behind these kaiju attacks.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

The kaiju attacks are coming from a crazed classmate who comes across as sweet and lovable at school, but anyone who does the slightest injury to her she kills via kaiju...and no one even remembers the people she killed, other than that they does years earlier. All while communicating to some strange person/entity over her computer, who turns her creations into kaiju. Now we have 3 people who remember what happened, with the implication that it's been ongoing (lots of empty desks in the classroom, more than just the two volleyball team members who accidently smashed the sandwich Akane gave to Yuta.)

Akane has all the classic signs of insanity: Her apartment is filthy and filled with garbage bags. Seriously, we're talking about a girl who killed classmates because a ball squashed a sandwich, which was still edible and was eaten. WTF? Then we have Samurai Calibur, to provide a new weapon, and fix it so that the other two can see and hear Gridman. As to what's going on here? Have to keep watching to find out.
          My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
          1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
          2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
          3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 3

Knowing the agony of defeat.

Gridman may be strong, but it most definitely isn't almighty, not with the arrival of Anti, and unlike the other kaijus, he has personality. Not to mention, Yuta is filled with thoughts that he's killing humans by slaying the kaiju, which is why he got the crap kicked out of him by Anti. But then he comes back with the help of some new members that can transform into parts that makes Gridman even stronger. While this show continues to make very little sense, it's doing a great job in making everybody believable as while every kaiju could simply be a monster from outer space or something, this one is given lots of personality that makes Akane an interesting character. All this irony makes for an interesting show.

Comment

Episode 4

There's something about Akane.

And now, the characters get close to Akane as Rikka and Akane are neighbors. They go out for karaoke with some college students as Akane bails out early, and she orders the kaiju to go after those guys. And then Gridman goes into action to defeat a kaiju, but the computer freezes. All it took was a reboot and Gridman saves the day, with Anti lending a hand seeing that he wants to have the glory of beating Gridaman and not everybody else. This whole monster-of-the-week thing is starting to get old, but even so it still is entertaining. I just hope that a sensical story is developing here seeing that I'm in the dark about a lot of things.

So with that, the trial period has ended, and I'll be making a decision on this show soon, just not right now.

Comment

Episode 5

Anywhere he goes, the kaiju goes.

While a class trip is usually fun, not so much for Akane or Yuta. Akane is just so attached to her computer that being away is a struggle for her. But for Yuta, when a kaiju attacks he's pretty much powerless. But thanks to some quick thinking by the suits to buy the computer and haul it to the mountains, the day was saved. Just another one of those kaiju-busting episodes with the only thing revealed in the big picture is that kaijus attack wherever Yuta goes for some reason yet to be explained.

So with that, I'll at least give this an extended trial, but I'm leaning towards keeping this show.

Comment

Episode 6

The world a kaiju god only knows.

And now, the truth comes out about what's going on in this world, and it turns out Akane has been shaping up the place according to her will as she has lived a lonely life. Poor Akane just needs a hug as there's no way this cute girl should be resorting to all this, and Yuta, Rikka, and Sho would all gladly welcome her with open arms. And that Minecraft demonstration of how the world works was really neat. I was waiting for this moment to come out as the show had been getting bland with this monster-of-the-week business, and that was great.

So with that, this show has punched its ticket as one of the last shows in this season.

Comment

Episode 7

Look out from above.

The twists just keep on coming in typical Trigger style. Yuta's friends aren't buying his explanations, and while he understands Akane better, he's caught between a rock and a hard place. Add onto that Anti's grudge towards Gridman, and that brings in one hell of a situation that Yuta finds himself in. And then comes that big reaveal at the end in that the sky is fake with that alien city. Lots of crazy things are going on and while Akane has been doing lots of menacing things, at least she's not taking things lying down when Anti and Alexis are acting against her will. It should really be something now that Yuta knows even more about the situation everybody is in.

Comment

Episode 8

Talk is cheap.

It's the school festival, and that's a problem as so many undesirables from Akane's perspective are gathering in one place. Talk doesn't work, and fighting is the only real option. Gridman really showed off some great firepower there in that fight. In the meantime, Akane just continues to be a wreck as she's in dire need of help in the worst way seeing that she's just losing her mind.

Comment

Episode 9

In your dreams.

And now, a dream sequence as Yuta is snoozing while a kaiju is attacking. He dates Akane, and just when it looked like he had lost himself, that trip to the grave woke him up. He couldn't fight that kaiju, but it's a great thing his weapon partners could hold their own without Gridman. Akane just keeps on getting more and more desperate. Too bad she's just going about it all the wrong way.

Comment

Re: Episode 9

If the ending is any clue, the key to save Akane is probably RIkka. Still it feels like it will take a miracle to save her. Maybe they can hire Nanoha? I'm sure she can befriend a God.
                          "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
                          Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Episode 10

On his honor as a knight.

Akane has lost her mind now. As if it wasn't the case already, stabbing Hibiki like that there at the end pretty much solidifies that. Nevertheless, it was pretty cool to see Anti transforming into Gridknight as his pride didn't allow anybody else to defeat Gridman, and he sure was livid when that kaiju defeated him. That monster was unlike anything these boys have seen as it moves totally at random making it hard to read. Nevertheless, things have really turned here with Akane having gone over the edge, all while Anti is now taking that enemy of an enemy is a friend approach having evolved into Gridknight.

Comment

Re: Episode 10

Just wow, Akane. Will be curious to see how that gets resolved. Still Gridknight was quite the moment.
                              "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
                              Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X