Widgets Magazine

Goblin Slayer Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This week's episode is just a recap. So moving right along as there's nothing new to see this week.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Mash Kyrielight, Fate/Grand Order
    Watching: Sirius the Jaeger, Shobitch, Machiavellism, Anonymous Noise, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, CQK, BIY, RRD, UZM, KTF, JUL, S4G, MBZ, MVN, XYS, ZLS, GSH, JSY
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
      This week's episode is just a recap. So moving right along as there's nothing new to see this week.
      Re: Episode Recap

It serves as a reminder of what Cow Girl said about GS when we first saw them on the Farm, about him looking for footprints of Goblins. Which would've been effectively served in about a 30 - 60 second flashback, instead of a recap episode, that combines the 2 fights against the Goblin Champion without saying so. It's not a bad intro to the series for someone just stepping in having heard the buzz (nor is it a particularly good one).

But, yeah, recap episodes. Sigh.
      My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
      1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
      2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
      3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 11

Protect the town.

To end this show, it can't possibly be anything other than a high stakes battle against the goblins and a goblin lord. With the cow girl's village being targeted to use as a launching pad to invade the town, it's up to the Goblin Slayer and the adventurers to defend the place. Things looked pretty easy thanks to the slayer's brilliant strategy, but it's a whole different game when the big boys show up. That was some nice action there, and the guild lady sure knew what was needed to be done to motivate those adventurers to take up their weapons when morale was at a low. One more episode left as the slayer is out to take down the lord, while the adventurers have their hands full against the goblin titans.
        Watching: Sirius the Jaeger, Shobitch, Machiavellism, Anonymous Noise, Toonami Stuff
        Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, CQK, BIY, RRD, UZM, KTF, JUL, S4G, MBZ, MVN, XYS, ZLS, GSH, JSY
        The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 11

Well at least they managed to get a pretty appropriate arc to end the series on. Let's see how it goes out.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 12 (Season 1 Finale)

Goblin Slayer, unmasked.

And just like that, the adventurers are victorious in protecting the town as it's thanks to the plan Goblin Slayer crafted with the priestess to take down the lord. While they are masters at deception, they can't fool this guy as he is well aware that they resort to the oldest trick in the book to slaughter people. So this calls for a party, and there Goblin Slayer gets unmasked as the priestess, and all the adventurers there, get to see his face. Pretty good way to end this season as they just succeeded in a huge quest, but the adventures continue as there are still a lot more goblins to kill, and more quests to take on.

So with that, this show has ended, but a continuation is in the works there at the end. It's not clear if it's going to be a second season or a movie at this time, but this is most definitely not the end of Goblin Slayer.

Overall, this show makes quite a strong impression with intense action, a great story full of intrigue and moral conflicts, and interesting characters going to show that this is not going to be for the faint in heart. While the show makes a strong impression at the start, it doesn't maintain the high standards it set itself up for and as the series wears on, it gets away from its initial goals all while things get hard to follow, part of the reason is because of the nameless characters. While the storytelling takes a hit as the series wears on, the entertainment value stays fairly high all the way through as it does a nice job in explaining the aspects of the world.

MAL Rating:

Comment

Re: Episode 12 (Season 1 Finale)

Still no eyes. Maybe next season. They did manage to make it feel like a pretty solid finale despite saying that Goblin Slayer will return (in Avengers: Endgame?), but the show wasn't likely to particularly impress me in its final push, and I came away with no surprises. It could be worse, so at least I never regretted sticking with the series throughout its run, but it ended up close enough to being on that line that I could question watching another season in a year or so.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 11 & 12 (Season 1 Finale)

An outstanding first season.

After taking some time to think it over, A+.

Full disclosure: This series really had me from the start. I'm a long-time player of D&D. I still have the first edition books, battered though they are, of the first prints of the AD&D hard cover books. I've been playing MMORPG games for well over a decade, and Goblin Slayer took me back to the early days of D&D and AD&D, when your first magical weapons and gear were almost always something you found off the remains of an adventurer who'd gone before you and failed.

Goblin Slayer does something that it seems improbable was so little explored after all this time: Exploring the dark and raw side of the life and death of an RPG adventurer. It explains how those low level monsters got the weapons and gear they possess, and shows what happened to those adventurers who weren't as good as you were...and what really happened when your character inevitably died at some point.

There's a raw edginess to Goblin Slayer when it comes to exposing those truths, and it's caused some absurd controversies over the issue of rape in the show. I completely reject the notion that rape was glorified by the show. In fact, I'd argue that it actually went far softer on the subject than it could have.

While my past and present in pencil and paper RPGs and modern MMOs make me a perfect audience for this show, I don't think that impacts my scoring it an A+, other than a greater ability to understand certain parts of the show that those who don't have such experiences have had. This show deliberately sets out to do certain things, and it excels at all of them. It creates an utterly obsessed MC, and completely transmits the empathy and understanding of that character to the audience. We totally understand why GS is the way he is. Nor does the show pull punches in how damaging that obsession is to GS. It then populates the adventure with characters to play off and explore GS's humanity, Guild Girl, Cow Girl, fellow adventurers and the core trio, the High Elf Archer, the Dwarf Shaman and the Lizard Priest, all seasoned adventurers who come to quickly realize how good GS really is. But it is Priestess, the young adventurer who we first meet as her impromptu party gets wiped out, the only other survivor gang-raped, who becomes out touchstone, both in her gratitude to GS, her efforts to humanize him, but also to become strong like GS. We have fantastic world building, excellent animation, and not a failure in sight. The result is raw in its presentation, not the rawness of a poorly told story, but exposing the raw nature and horrors of the life and all too often rape, torture, and/or death of adventurers, which it exceeds at doing with almost perfection.

Yes, this show is really that good. It has a solid ED, but the OP is just outstanding, and the characters although not named beyond their generic job titles, stand out spectacularly. The title character is the one who holds it all together, literally a man with no name, and also no face, whose driving obsession is simple: Kill goblins. In a world with grand adventures, demon lords (likely dragons and other major enemies as well), GS stands as a reminder about the tragedy that can be inflicted by the most minor of villains, like a cop who passes up the homicide squad to concentrate on muggers instead. We are reminded that while one is away saving the world, if you're not careful, you could come home to find that your home and family have been wiped out by the minor monsters you considered too petty to bother with.

The final 2 episodes show us GS at his best: After rallying/recruiting the local adventurers to protect the farm, GS does what he does, gets inside the Goblin Lord's head and completely out-plan him. We see GS's growth as a person in his being able to approach his fellow adventurers, thanks to the humanizing of effects his friends, led by Priestess, has had on him. Use human shields to attack the farm: Counter plan. wolf-riders? Counter plan. Champions? Counter plan. The retreat of the Goblin Lord? Counter plan and checkmate, with the key to victory being his trust in Priestess. And the Goblin Lord? Tears and the compassionate hearts of women have been a key to his survival all along (including a bit involving the weapon he carries that will be interesting to see if it appears in the Blu-ray/DVD release of the show). None of which works on the young woman who's been with GS since her party was wiped out, who was nearly killed by a Champion, someone who is virtually GS's apprentice by now. We get to see how far she's come in the course of the series as well, thanks to GS.

The result: They all live happily ever after...at least until the next adventure. Which will be coming in the future, as the credits end with a message that should terrify goblins everywhere: Goblin Slayer will return. Whether it will be another season, a movie, an OVA, all or some of the above, remains unknown.

Back to the A+ rating. I completely stand by it. I also recognize that there are other excellent series which can be argued attempt to do more. and are more complex. I'm of the belief that you must judge a show by what it is, not what other shows are. Thus, if we were judging bridges, I'd not hesitate to give an A+ to a 2 lane bridge that is 10 meters or yards across a placid drainage canal, but a lesser grade to an 8-lane bridge across 10 miles/kilometers of open water, subject to tidal surges and storms. One should judge by what it is, but also acknowledge the degrees of difficulty. That said, Goblin Slayer is no mere 10 meter bridge. It succeeds at doing something nothing really has before, and that in itself is a remarkable accomplishment. Yes, there've been other hard core fantasies, but none that so directly exposed the truths of the RPGs/MMOs that so many people have played and play today. It could've gone even harder core, and I'll be unsurprised if GS doesn't trigger a subgenre on the fantasy landscape in anime. So, yeah, A+ all the way.
                Last edited by General Hentai; 01-01-2019, 10:20 PM.
                My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine
                Working...
                X