X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2018] Goblin Slayer Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ゴブリンスレイヤー

A fantasy show about a bunch of nameless characters led by someone who is determined to eradicate goblins from the world.

Airs: Saturday, October 6, 2018

Studio: White Fox

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

A young priestess has formed her first adventuring party, but almost immediately they find themselves in distress. It's the Goblin Slayer who comes to their rescue?a man who's dedicated his life to the extermination of all goblins, by any means necessary. And when rumors of his feats begin to circulate, there's no telling who might come calling next...

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Mai Sakurajima, Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
    Watching: Ghost Hunt, Seraph S2, AOT S2, DB Super, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

All goblins must die.

That was quite an intense start to this show, first with the goblins going perverted in stripping those ladies of the party to rape them, and then at the end where the Goblin Slayer, on a mission to exterminate goblins from this world, kill the children who haven't done anything wrong. But leaving them alone would only bring bigger problems later on as they are the type to hold onto grudges and act on them. The first 2/3 of the episode didn't really have my attention, but the last third did as there's this question of morality that is raised with what Slayer is going. These characters don't have names, so keeping up with them is going to be a bit of a challenge.

So with that, I'll give it the usual trial treatment and when the time comes, I'll make a definitive call.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Mai Sakurajima, Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
    Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

I had heard this was a brutal series, but I'm impressed that there's not a hint of censorship. Reminds me a bit of the first impression of another White Fox series, Akame ga Kill!, though I didn't love the direction that ended up going, so hopefully this can maintain its level of quality or even increase it. So far it's about on the level of Slime, which I'm very pleased with.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Well, that was...intense.

It really felt like a standard D&D scenario to start things off, although somehow the sole guy just reminded me of someone from the doomed guild in SAO. But, yeah, this was pretty hardcore, and shows the obvious side of things in fantasy worlds with dungeons and monsters: If every hero was successful, there'd be no monsters. And monsters are monsters for a reason.
        My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
        1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
        2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
        3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 2

Here's the silver lining.

There were quite a lot of complaints about the mature content in the first episode, so Crunchyroll puts that disclaimer in response to it. This episode, there was much less to complain about as while it continues to be violent, nobody gets raped. Just an interesting backstory focused on the Cow Girl, who is living the life as a farmer, and a quest to kill some more goblins that went much more smoothly this time around, all while Slayer shows why he's a silver ranked adventurer. And then there's the ending there as an elf has appeared in town. It will be interesting to see what her deal is and what she has to add to the party.

So after two very good episodes, this show has pretty much locked in its spot on my watchlist.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Not nearly as gripping as the first episode. We start to learn a bit about Goblin Slayer, but not enough to really justify spending the entire episode without much else. Still one of the better new shows of the season overall, for sure. I don't think it'll be a top favorite of the slate anymore, but I'm still very interested in the world and especially characters, and I look forward to learning more. Of course, nobody has a name, so that does pose a problem with becoming fully invested in the characters.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
              Re: Episode 2

Not nearly as gripping as the first episode. We start to learn a bit about Goblin Slayer, but not enough to really justify spending the entire episode without much else. Still one of the better new shows of the season overall, for sure. I don't think it'll be a top favorite of the slate anymore, but I'm still very interested in the world and especially characters, and I look forward to learning more. Of course, nobody has a name, so that does pose a problem with becoming fully invested in the characters.
              Wait, are you trying to say "Cow Girl" isn't a name?

This is a good show, and one of the original shows that I look most forward to each week.
              My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
              1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
              2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
              3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine
              Working...
              X